Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a plumber for replacing boilers pump?

• 18-10-2016 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Our central heating packed in earlier this year. The boiler worked for heating water but when the switch was flicked over to central heating the boiler cut out. Turned out the hot water cylinder was leaking. So that got replaced.

We thought that would fix the problem but that didn't happen and the heating is still out. The boiler works fine for heating water for showers etc but we have no heating.

I don't think it's a big problem. The pump for the boiler was located under the water cylinder that was leaking so I reckon the problem is with the pump and needs replacing.

My father is a builder. Separated from my mam. Down through the years when there was a problem with the boiler we usually called father. We always had to wait to get a job done though. His brother is a plumber and he helped with the replacement of the cylinder earlier in the year. We have been waiting for months now for them to continue work here and it's just not happening. On the rare occasion I meet my father, he brings up the topic and says they will be up next week. This story of telling me he'll be next week has happened 3 times so far since August and still no show. So fcuk the lot of them to be quite honest.

What kind of a person or tradesman do I need for replacing the pump for the boiler? Is it a plumber?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've replaced my pump before and I'm not a plumber, just handy with the tools. See if there is an isolation valve immediately upstream and downstream of the pump, this will mean you don't have to drain down the system (they normally don't have a handle, just a slot for a screwdriver). Did you try the old plumbers diagnostic tool of putting a screwdriver up against the pump and listening to it through the handle (just like a doctors statoscope). Will tell you if it's turning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

youtheman wrote: »
    I've replaced my pump before and I'm not a plumber, just handy with the tools. See if there is an isolation valve immediately upstream and downstream of the pump, this will mean you don't have to drain down the system (they normally don't have a handle, just a slot for a screwdriver). Did you try the old plumbers diagnostic tool of putting a screwdriver up against the pump and listening to it through the handle (just like a doctors statoscope). Will tell you if it's turning.

I wouldn't know anything about to work with the system. I'm a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

This here is a picture of under the water cylinder:

I circled the pump that I think is causing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

Can't see any isolation valves next to the pump. So you'll most probably have to drain down the system. Still, I think you should get someone to diagnose the problem before you replace the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

you have isolating valves attached to the pump at both sides but if touched as a rule they leak afterwards

if the boiler is working for hot water then I would guess its a circulating issue or no call for heat because of room stat/motorised valve/ seized pump but im only guessing really so I think u would be better to get a plumber to identify your problem

pumps as a rule don't like water leaking on top of them so I think this might be your problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement