Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Go From Here - Upgrade ?

Options
  • 18-10-2016 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

So I last upgraded/rebuilt in 2013 , it's mainly for gaming - BF4 and maybe BF1 now , Elite Dangerous - Kodi - and Browsing . I usually get a few quid for my birthday in October and usually spend it on my PC , this year I have a bit more and haven't upgraded in a while , but I'm not sure if this is worth upgrading or would I need to spend too much to see any big improvements over what I have .

My basic build is -

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard
    Sapphire AMD R9 290 TRI-X OC Graphics Card 4GB
    AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU 8 Core, AM3+
    Corsair H55 Cooling
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
    Corsair XMS3 8GB dDDR3
    SyncMaster S23B350
    Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Chassis
    I also have a 2TB HD and a second 256GB SSD

I have over 500 quid to spend , but on what ? or do i sit tight for another year and see then ?

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Palit Jetstream/Gamerock 1070 (€410) would use less power, run quiet & is ~50% faster than R9 290.
    EVGA also a god brand for GTX 1070.

Might run into a CPU bottleneck but should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Given that you're on a 1080P monitor I wouldn't really bother honestly. I'd wait till the new CPU's are and look at selling your old PC at that point and building fresh with a new platform, DDR4 and a GTX1070 with a new monitor most likely.

At the moment, what you have is fine considering it's a normal FHD monitor and the cost of stepping up to a GTX1070 would show poor return for the money spent, unless you had a higher resolution monitor or a 120/144hz panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Same as above. Put away money where you can't touch it and play away. Kabi lake is on horizon and that would be the first upgrade for you to do. Might even wait out to see new zen cpus too.
    For now, this system will do perfect for 1080p. Don't waste money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I should really have posted back here .

Hard an all as it was to hear ( first time I've had money to lash around in a good while ) I have to praise the 'usual' excellent advice and obvious restraint . I could have bumped it out to 7 or 800 euro but I don't think that would have changed anything .

I did have to put some money into the pc last weekend as the connection for the H55 to the motherboard went so I bought a H60 and tbh it's connectors to the AMD board are much better and the chip is idling at 25 degrees now :) .

Also, TerrorFirmer, although you won't know me I have often come close to buying items from you on adverts down through the years so I might look to you ......I'll also look out for you on the battlefield :D , when I finally buy it .

Thanks again .

Advertisement