Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Solar Panel Kit

• 18-10-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have been mulling over the idea of installing PV cells on my house for years. I'm really interested in the technology, and would love to install these myself => at least be involved in some way other than paying someone!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018ZOED8W/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1

I've been looking at similar "DIY" Solar kits.
    I'm just wondering if there are Rules and regulations around fitting these?
    All these Kits don't mention a battery, and im guessing you need a battery to store your precious solar power while your out working all day to pay for them?

I live in a 3 Bed Semi-D. The front is facing south and I have a flat roofed garage that also faces south (almost). My super naive plan is to:

- Buy one of these Kits
    - Place the panels on the flat roof as the installation would be far easier.
    - Setup the inverter etc in the Garage as there is plenty of room to mount to wall.

Is any of this feasible?

Cheers,

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Have a read trough these posts in the section HERE.
    You will find a lots of answers to unknown questions ! :)

Have fun !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you want to save the planet or just doing it for the enjoyment of the project, you'll be happy with the results. On the other hand you'll be very disappointed if you are hoping to save any money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you want to save the planet or just doing it for the enjoyment of the project, you'll be happy with the results. On the other hand you'll be very disappointed if you are hoping to save any money at all.

I would say
    60% save planet / interested in tech
    40% save money.....

I will be 40% disappointing so :)
    Thanks for the link rolion, i'd searched bu not found a relevant forum.

Advertisement