Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Director John Carpenter Plays at Vicar Street (October 25th)

Options
  • 18-10-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

u:mack
    In Associasion with Darklight Film Festival
    Present
    The Horror Master
    John Carpenter (The Fog, The Thing, Halloween, Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13, Christine)
    Live Retrospective
    (Performing themes from his classic films and new compositions)
    Tuesday 25 October
    Vicar Street
    Doors 7pm

There are still a a limited amount of tickets remaining for the legendary director & composer John Carpenter special performance in Dublin's Vicar Street on October 25 .
    Carpenter's movies include The Fog, They Live, Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13, Christine and of course Halloween, a movie that changed the course of the horror genre forever . In 2014 he released "Lost Themes" on Sacred Bones, which he followed up with "Lost Themes II" in April of this year.

For this event he will be performing themes from his classic films and new compositions, accompanied by original visuals of his new material and montages of his classic movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Saw him at Primavera, was amazing. Have a ticket for this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Saw him at Primavera, was amazing. Have a ticket for this as well.

Does he play for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Does he play for long?

His setlists suggest a decent length

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Does he play for long?

Festival sets are always shorter but he seemed to play for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

You can also buy a meet and greet / autograph session through his website, €150, I'm sorely tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Tomorrow... :cool:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Any idea what time he is om stage at? Doors are at 19.00.

8:30 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

According to Vicar St's website, doors open at 6.30, seems very early if he's not on until 8.30?? Any support mentioned? (I have to collect my ticket at the box office so apologies if these are obvious questions)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just listening to Assault on Precinct 13 at the moment, looking forward to later.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote: »
    According to Vicar St's website, doors open at 6.30, seems very early if he's not on until 8.30?? Any support mentioned? (I have to collect my ticket at the box office so apologies if these are obvious questions)

The promoter:

https://twitter.com/umackDublin/status/790952491919835137

Excellent gig but very short.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I kind of agree. 1 hour 15 mins was a little short but I didn't feel short-changed, if you know what I mean? I heard everything I wanted to hear, the band were superb, the sound was perfect and John seemed to be having a great time.

Highlights for me were the sunglasses going on for the They Live theme and Assault on Precinct 13 section.

Fantastic night overall and I really hope they put out a live show recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Set list was the perfect length for me, it was the kinda vibe where you felt he'd lose the audience if he strayed too far off the reservation. Prince of Darkness theme made it for me

Only drawback was people who don't know how to keep their fcuking traps shut during a gig

Nordies, Always nordies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That was brilliant. The movie clips really added to the experience. Seeing Carpenter and band playing the themes from those iconic movies while clips are played in the background was surreal and memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Decuc500 wrote: »
    That was brilliant. The movie clips really added to the experience. Seeing Carpenter and band playing the themes from those iconic movies while clips are played in the background was surreal and memorable.

It was a wonderful gig . It was the right length. It was all quality.
    JC looked like he was really enjoying it to.
    All the movie team were excellent and some of the ones I was not overly familiar were class too. great sound. nice venue. finshed nice and early for me to get home. once in a lifetime experience. That man made some movies to be fair

A couple of photos

29942623604_6d37393909.jpg

29940437373_371cd5458e.jpg

30486346571_1a8de83afe.jpg

30457356532_9881daa607.jpg

29940437863_83f63e97e8.jpg

30457356322_c659e145aa.jpg

29940437333_5cef8c00bd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'd agree that the set was a little short, but it really was pretty much all killer and no filler. Excellent show, great musicians and a chance to see a legend in action. I'd also agree with the part about people and their traps, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sorry I missed this! did anyone do the meet and greet did John do any media interviews Radio/print?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MML

Absolutely fantastic gig; great to hear the classics and the new stuff as well.
    The Halloween theme really gives you goosebumps.

It was a nice bonus to see signed merchandise for sale; I picked up some autographed vinyl and a print! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Sorry I missed this! did anyone do the meet and greet did John do any media interviews Radio/print?

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/john-carpenter-a-lot-of-old-timers-like-to-bitch-movies-are-for-the-young-1.2834091

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's the right amount of time for a gig for me. Loved every minute.

Advertisement