Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of complaining about agencies

Options
  • 18-10-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I was wondering is it possible to complain about a specific agency because they are pumping up the rents whenever house is available for new tenant.

Like, 1 double bedroom apartment goes from 975 to 1200 Euro right after the current tenant leaves the house. And their reason is market being fluctating.

They also did this for another apartment with 1 double bedroom & 1 single bedroom from 850 to 1150 Euro just because the area is popular.

There is a big housing crisis (especially in Cork) and these agencies are abusing to every last bit.

So I am quite persistant to file a complaint about them as I doubt this is 'legal'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Why wouldn't it be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭bonjurkes

Why wouldn't it be legal?

LL needs to show proof of other rents to support request of increasing your rent after 2 years of your contract, but for this case no proof is needed at all.

If everyone increases the rent amounts randomly or because you think market is fluctating, it will cause more house crisis plus rents will go rocket high.

Think like this, rent of double bedroom increases from 1200 to 1500 without reason, and other LL see this opportunity and increse his apartment's rent from 1300 to 1600.

If you can't see the problem with this then I can't say much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

bonjurkes wrote: »
    LL needs to show proof of other rents to support request of increasing your rent after 2 years of your contract, but for this case no proof is needed at all.

If everyone increases the rent amounts randomly or because you think market is fluctating, it will cause more house crisis plus rents will go rocket high.

Think like this, rent of double bedroom increases from 1200 to 1500 without reason, and other LL see this opportunity and increse his apartment's rent from 1300 to 1600.

If you can't see the problem with this then I can't say much more.

You say that they up the rent for a new tenant I.e. first time renter of the property in question?

There's nothing illegal about this. It's how the market rate is set.

If they were upping the price for existing tenants, without similar prices increases shown as evidence, then yes this would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's a free market. People will charge whatever the market will support.

If people have money to pay high rent, then the landlord will charge high rent. If people can't afford or won't pay that rent, then the landlord will charge as much as he can.

He's running a business, not a charity. They want as much rent as they possibly can.

If someone wants to charge €1800 a month for a 1 bed apt, then there is nothing wrong with that. If someone else wants to charge €5,000 for a similar unit, that's fine too. If someone else wants to charge €500 for similar, then that is their business.

Market rate is set by what the market will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I was wondering is it possible to complain about a specific agency because they are pumping up the rents whenever house is available for new tenant.

Like, 1 double bedroom apartment goes from 975 to 1200 Euro right after the current tenant leaves the house. And their reason is market being fluctating.

They also did this for another apartment with 1 double bedroom & 1 single bedroom from 850 to 1150 Euro just because the area is popular.

There is a big housing crisis (especially in Cork) and these agencies are abusing to every last bit.

So I am quite persistant to file a complaint about them as I doubt this is 'legal'

Shame on the agency for getting a better rate on these properties. I am sure their clients are outraged by the extra income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Let me be the first person to welcome you here since your move from North Korea.

Ireland is a a little more capitalist than your home country - and there are some occasions where landlords can raise the rent they hope to achieve.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The usual remedy in this scenario is to not rent the apartment if you think the price is excessive.

Either others will agree with you, in which case the rent is likely to drop. Or others will be prepared to pay the advertised rent which demonstrates the property was priced at (or below) the current market rate.

Advertisement