Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting from rust

Options
  • 18-10-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

What do you use to protect your bike from rusting. I have my bike locked outside in the garden to a post I put into the ground, I have a cover over the bike but it does not 100% cover it. The spokes in particular are exposed a bit. Can I use WD40 and rub it along the spokes to protect them or what else can I use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

What do you use to protect your bike from rusting.

Carbon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use my house.

Not sure about WD40, seems messy. If the bike is rough enough to keep outside then I'd be inclined to just cover it loosely and not worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I have a cover over the bike but it does not 100% cover it...
    A full cover will not prevent rust as it can't prevent moisture in the air which causes surface rust. Bikes kept in an otherwise dry shed will be susceptible to eventual rusting unless the shed is heated which is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

So it's an indoor game to keep it rust free. I guess I can put it in the kitchen in the cornor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've kept my tourer in a shed when not in use for more than three years now. A bit of superficial rust does develop, but it's really pretty minor. I do occasionally spray oil into recesses and down cable outers, in addition to the usual cleaning and the lubing of the chain and that.

I've never tried leaving a bike outside under tarp, but I guess if you clean and oil it fairly frequently perhaps the rust will be mostly cosmetic and you can live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

To protect the frame from internal rust you can use something like this - http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=102&products_id=545

Rust on smaller parts like headsets etc can be caused by condensation. This is easily brought on by using your bike in cold weather then storing it in your nice warm house. So, you might be better off keeping it in a cold shed that a warm house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So it's an indoor game to keep it rust free. I guess I can put it in my bed while I sleep on the couch.

Fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

linseed oil from any hardware shop. Put a bit on a cloth and rub on. Gives a nice shine and will protect from rust. It was the way they protected the old army bikes. Also used to protect bits and stirrups and other metal parts of Equestrian Equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Aluminium foil and water will remove rust from any shiny bits of your bike. Get a bit of aluminium foil, wet it, and rub it on the affected area of your bike. Through some kind of arcane alchemical magick the rust switches over to the foil in jig time. You don't even need to put much effort in, a gentle circular motion will start the reaction.

p.s. Don't let the Witchhunter General spot you doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Intrigued by the linseed oil, I DuckDuckWent (someone has to challenge search monopolies). This came up.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/595758-rust-prevention-test-popular-treatments.html

Corrosion Block was the best; plenty of recommendations for linseed oil too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I kept my bike in a dry shed last winter and in no time the chain started to rust. The shed lacked heat so I brought my baby inside where she has since lived under the stairs. Works for us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

check_six wrote: »
    Aluminium foil and water will remove rust from any shiny bits of your bike. Get a bit of aluminium foil, wet it, and rub it on the affected area of your bike. Through some kind of arcane alchemical magick the rust switches over to the foil in jig time. You don't even need to put much effort in, a gentle circular motion will start the reaction.

p.s. Don't let the Witchhunter General spot you doing this!

On more than 1 restoration website they say Coca Cola is even better ;-)

Advertisement