Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long haul flight with 15mth old

• 18-10-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Flying to Chicago in a couple of months (Christmas) with a 15mth old. He has been on 4 flights so far all under 2hrs and we have not bough an additional seat.

Has anyone experience with buying a seat for a child under 2 and bringing a car seat on board? Flight is with Aer Lingus and from experience... there will probably be spare seats on board.

I have read that some airlines will let you carry on your car seat even if you do not book a seat, providing there are empty seats on board. It would be a gamble, and I am not sure if Aer Lingus allow this... I suspect a lot to do with whoever checks you in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I purchased an extra seat for my 20 mth old for a 2.5 hr Ryanair flight and bought a Britax Eclipse current model (older models may require purchase of additional straps but not sure from what year). As far as I know I think they can only be used if a seat is booked for the child as I doubt the carseat would have fitted in an overhead bin if they were no spare seats onboard.

I was also looking at the Kiddy Guardianfix Pro2 which Kiddy said should fit too but I couldn’t find the car seat in Ireland. Apart from this I could not find any other ‘Aircraft approved carseats’ for my 20 month old.

Having a car seat onboard was a Godsend. There would have been no way my 20 month old would have sat on my lap for 2.5 hours and he actually slept have of the journey going over and all of the journey coming back. There was no questions asked on way over but on return flight the air hostess had to double check it was ok to use which I knew there would be no problem.

When booking flights we did have to ring customer services to assign seats as there are only certain rows where a car seat can be used and it has to be used at a window seat (to not block other passengers getting in and out so not sure of planes with middle aisles). It also has to be forward facing.

I also used a fold up luggage trolley thingy with bungee strap to cart the seat around the airport.

Advertisement