Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas markets?

Options
  • 18-10-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Any in Mayo or around the west in general?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Westport usually have one, not sure when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is one in Kiltimagh on Sunday, December 4th. Only €20 for a stall, details here https://www.facebook.com/events/1783502338589259/?active_tab=about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Rockfish wrote: »
    Any in Mayo or around the west in general?

Galway have a month long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

irishgeo wrote: »
    Galway have a month long one.

ya of course, i meant to say apart from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Not sure about it's size-I could only guess at not massive as its my first year here- but there's ads for one to be held November 26th at McLoughlins Bar in Achill Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

darlett wrote: »
    Not sure about it's size-I could only guess at not massive as its my first year here- but there's ads for one to be held November 26th at McLoughlins Bar in Achill Sound.

Can't see it being that big unless they are using the old fair green beside the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

irishgeo wrote: »
    Can't see it being that big unless they are using the old fair green beside the pub.
    Indeed not big at all-and its only on from 1pm to 5pm. But at the same time its a somewhat deceptively large premises with two large rooms inaddition to the cosy bar room, plus a decent size of a covered smoking area out the back. If the stall owners show you could imagine quite a few would fit in there (well how big is a stall?) with an over spill on the lane to the community hall next door.

The question then (as I allow myself to get far too caught up in this :pac: ) is what do people want/expect from their Christmas market? 10-20 stalls offering all the basics from Christmas cakes, puddings, cards, trinkets and other crafts, cheeses and cheese boards, jams, chutneys, mulled wine etc? Or something on a different scale entirely? Depending on your location in Mayo it might sort you out or not I guess. At least its early enough in the season to make alternatives if it leaves you short!

What is the one like in Galway for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

There's the annual Craft Fair in Foxford the first weekend in December (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Castlebardude

The powers that be in Castlebar should look at putting together a Castlebar Christmas Market next year. The Army Barracks site would be perfect for it. Use up the entire site with entrance from both sides,make sure its twice the size of the Galway one to attract visitors, get a carnival in for the month to run alongside on the site & throw everything at it, money, marketing, support - God knows the town needs something !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

North mayo heritage center located in Enniscoe house outside crossmolina have a Christmas market advertised. I think it's the weekend before Christmas. Not much details as yet appear as I know it's their first one.
    It's a great location and as for many years they'd held a Vintage cars and heritage day in August they're well used to holding events. They had lots of stalls and attractions then and plenty of space.
    I'm not expecting much but wouldn't it be great if it took off over the coming years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement