Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice at end of lease

Options
  • 18-10-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hoping someone can confirm this information for me. My lease is ending in a month (I've been renting the same place for 4 years, if that makes any difference). I was under the impression I needed to give a months notice(per my original lease), but apparently the rules have since changed & I actually have to give 56 days notice. Therefore I've to pay almost another months rent beyond my lease.
    I couldn't give notice before now, so if that's the case I'll just pay it. Just want to be sure I'm not being messed around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Did you sign a lease 11 months ago or was it just rolling from when you first moved in 4 years ago?

If you have signed a fixed lease that ends next month then you can walk. If it is a rolling lease you have to give the 56 days

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Logicost31

Perfect, that clears it up. Yes, signed another lease each subsequent year, so 56 days it is. Have submitted my notice in writing as well as over the phone.

Logicost31 wrote: »
    Perfect, that clears it up. Yes, signed another lease each subsequent year, so 56 days it is. Have submitted my notice in writing as well as over the phone.

Thats not what John Kinsella said though. Is it a rolling lease, or did you sign a new lease last year?

It is though, I agreed that I signed a new lease each year, which obviously includes 11 months ago too.

It is though, I agreed that I signed a new lease each year, which obviously includes 11 months ago too.
    If you have signed a fixed lease that ends next month then you can walk.

So you need to give one months notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My lease is ending in a month (I've been renting the same place for 4 years, if that makes any difference). I was under the impression I needed to give a months notice(per my original lease), but apparently the rules have since changed & I actually have to give 56 days notice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

According to the Citizen's Information, you must give -
    Tenancy -- Notice Period
    2 years or longer but less than 4 years -- 8 weeks (56 days)
    4 years or longer but less than 8 years -- 12 weeks (84 days)

So I'm currently there 3 years & 11 months, thus the 56 days notice. Doesn't seem to matter that it was 4 consecutive 1 year leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

So you have a lease signed by you and your landlord with the lease end date being next month?

If that is the case it is a fixed term lease. No notice is required as it is the natural end of the lease.

You should tell your landlord ASAP though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Unless mutually agreed with the landlord in which case you can shorten that notice period I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A lease is a contract between the landlord and the tenant. A tenancy is the legal term as determined in the RTA 2004, which is a single period of occupation and can be covered by many leases. The notice period is based off the tenancy length not the lease length.

Also note you can agree to shorter notice mutually with your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

So you have a lease signed by you and your landlord with the lease end date being next month?

If that is the case it is a fixed term lease. No notice is required as it is the natural end of the lease.

You should tell your landlord ASAP though

That's incorrect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Depending on the area you are in and current demand, your landlord might be happy for you to go with just the months notice, have a chat with them.

I'll have to hunt out that latest lease when I get home, and report back. The landlord is an investment company, with a management company acting on their behalf so they offered no flexibility on shortening the notice period. (despite knowing they'll get hundreds per month extra once they re-rent the place!)

Advertisement