Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED alternative for GU5.3 halogens

Options
  • 18-10-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm looking to replace my GU5.3 halogens with LEDs. Can someone tell me if I can get LED replacements that will work out of the box with the existing transformers or do I need to remove the transformers and replace with mains driven GU10 LEDs?

Lights are for a kitchen.

I've seen Philips Master LEDs that claim to be compatible with a range of existing transformers, but I wanted to get some more information before making a purchase.

I read some reports of GU5.3 LEDs flickering or having a shorter life unless I installed special LED drivers or just switched over to mains GU10. Is this nonsense?

Thanks for the info.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To be honest, I simply ripped out my GU5.3 transformers and replaced them with GU10 fittings and I couldn't be happier.

It really didn't take long, maybe 2 hours for the whole house and wasn't difficult.

The upside is that GU10 bulbs are far easier to get and far cheaper. Also you could opt to buy fancy Philips Hue smart bulbs in future. Where as GU5.3 seems to be a dead end technology.

The other advantage is that the GU5.3 transformers had my heart broken, I had a few break over the years and they were a pain to replace. Getting rid of them just once makes my life much easier in the long term.

BTW if you do this, remember that you may also need to replace dimmer switches that aren't rated for LEDs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks bk, that's the thing, way more options with GU10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Ikea have LEDs for GU 5.3. They arent particularly bright, but are grand for say replacing an under the stairs light.

I have been slowly replacing my GU5.3 with GU10 LEDs. They only take about 5 mins to remove the transformer and put in the new fittings. The LEDs will last for years and use a fraction of the electricity of hallogens. IMO they arent as bright as new hallogen bulbs, but still brighter than a hallogen halfway through its life

One option is going to the likes of Eurosales and buying their energy savings Osram Hallogens. They use a third less energy than a regular hallogen and last 2.5 times as long.

Advertisement