Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Wooot! Phenomenal stuff. Delighted for you. Huge congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Excellent! delighted to see that, what a fantastic result, well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nicely done - a well run race and super PB. Glad to see I’m not the only dry-retcher around here. It’s a sign of effort (and excellence, obviously!)

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was at the water station at 8.5m and did wonder which runner might be you as I'd seen on here you had signed up for it! Well done on the PB, great running! It was a very warm morning for running, you did great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant stuff Ariana.....great to see a big PB after all the struggles you had around the time of the marathon.

A great base to really kick on from now.....well done and well deserved!

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Congrats on a great time. Well done on a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nicely done - a well run race and super PB. Glad to see I’m not the only dry-retcher around here. It’s a sign of effort (and excellence, obviously!)

Congrats.

It never happened me before i must admit i was taken on the hop! But it was fine, only a momentary thing.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    I was at the water station at 8.5m and did wonder which runner might be you as I'd seen on here you had signed up for it! Well done on the PB, great running! It was a very warm morning for running, you did great!!

I don't even remember a water station at 8.5m :o It was warm, too warm but otherwise perfect. And a great event, very well organised and a great atmosphere. I'll definitely go back.

Thanks everyone and thanks for all the encouragement after Kinvara HM was cancelled, i was slow to throw myself into the 10m but i got there. A few chats with various people late last week had me pinpoint a target of 1:26:xx which really helped to focus the mind. I admit i also flirted briefly with 1:25:xx and i believe it was this flirtation that brought my end time to the lower end of the 1:26 :) I'd love to be at the level where i could run without a target and judge the effort level by feel but I'm not there yet. I gave it my all yesterday though, my pacing was solid and on the day i couldn't have done anymore and that's what i wanted to walk away with (well that and a 4+ min PB :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote: »
    I'd love to be at the level where i could run without a target and judge the effort level by feel but I'm not there yet.

Not easy and most of us are still figuring that one out. It's also a lot more difficult when it's a distance that you don't race very often. But........when you're dry wretching and pretty wrecked at the finish line that's usually a good sign that you pushed to the limits (well, you're current limits..keep going the way you're going and you'll have new limits in no time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant result, delivered in style after all the training!

Forgot about this in my excitement yesterday :D

Monday, Feb 19th
    Total: 10.6 km (1:08:16)
    Avg Pace: 6:26 min/km
    Splits: 6:40, 6:37, 6:34, 6:19, 6:29, 6:09, 6:22, 6:30, 6:20, 6:24, 6:28 (.6)
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: Bank holiday Monday so Pilates class was cancelled but did this lovely easy pace run instead. Quiet morning on the roads, good company, nice pace, perfect.

Tuesday, March 20th
    Total: 8km (49:08)
    Avg Pace: 6:07 min/km
    Splits: 6:11, 6:02, 6:01, 5:55, 5:59, 6:09, 6:18, 6:21
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: Another nice run in good company. Lovely evening, even saw the sun for the first half.

Wed, March 21st
    Total: 15.24km (1:41:21)
    Avg Pace: 6:35 min/km
    Splits: 6:24, 6:27, 6:27, 6:26, 6:34, 6:37, 6:44, 6:31, 6:39, 6:42, 6:42, 6:29, 6:36, 6:28, 6:56, 6:58 (.24)
    Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Comments: Same route as 2 weeks ago, same pace and average HR was 32 bpm lower tonight! That is probably neither here nor there as wrist based HR monitors are notoriously unreliable but i did enjoy this run a lot more than the last time i did the route, it felt easier somehow, chatting all the way as has been the theme of the week so far, all is good with the world after runs like this!

Thursday, March 22nd
    REST

Fri, March 23rd
    Rest

Sat, March 24th
    Plan was a 20 min loosener but it just didn’t happen. A routine dental visit ended up with a deep filling which led to a long day of feeling well below par.

Sun, March 25th
    Craughwell 10m 2018
    Total: 16.20 km (1:26:13 - watch, 1:26:11 - chip)
    Avg Pace: 5:19 min/km
    Splits: 5:09, 5:16, 5:22, 5:21, 5:15, 5:18, 5:27, 5:13, 5:24, 5:28, 5:29, 5:23, 5:17, 5:23, 5:16, 3:44 (.2)
    Avg HR: 166 bpm
    Comments: PB stands at 1:30:50 from August last year so this was a pb of 4:39. Really really thrilled. Felt i gave it my all, couldn’t have asked any more of either my legs or my lungs on the day.

Comments: 50km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Yayyyyy!!! I'm very late catching up on this but absolutely delighted you had such a great race! So well earned after all your HM training and the disappointment and everything. Sounds like you did everything perfectly on the day. That's a great PB to get as a reward, and more to come! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Late to the post run party Ariana but congrats on an entertaining race report and gutsy race. Oh how finely balanced a race can be: 5:19/km and just 1/320'th under your prescribed pace :D. Now that was dramatic. Congrats.

denis b wrote: »
    Late to the post run party Ariana but congrats on an entertaining race report and gutsy race. Oh how finely balanced a race can be: 5:19/km and just 1/320'th under your prescribed pace :D. Now that was dramatic. Congrats.

Thank you! Nothing like a bit of drama :D

Just been looking at the predicted race time calculator based on my 10m time it predicts a Marathon time of 3:59:43! Now how sweet would that be....someday hopefully :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just been looking at the predicted race time calculator based on my 10m time it predicts a Marathon time of 3:59:43! Now how sweet would that be....someday hopefully :cool:

Yeah I had spotted that. I am sure you will do it. You're now starting to convert your shorter PBs into equivalent longer race times. Who said your speed endurance was lacking? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have absolutely no doubt that you could do that!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I have absolutely no doubt that you could do that!

Aw thank you :) It won't be today or tomorrow but hopefully someday, i might have to have a few attempts.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah I had spotted that. I am sure you will do it. You're now starting to convert your shorter PBs into equivalent longer race times. Who said your speed endurance was lacking? Lol.

I guess the speed endurance is starting to improve now. I really feel it's the 60-70 min easy pace runs that are making a difference. I've no scientific proof but since Christmas they are the main stay of my training and i think they have been really key to the improvements.

Yes and you have been extremely consistent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Just catching up here - very well done, it sounds like you got the effort bang on and you overcame some in race difficulties as well to get yourself an amazing result. Fantastic and really sets you up well for the year ahead. If you keep up this level of consistency I think the sub 4 marathon won't be long coming. I'd agree with you on those 60 to 70 minutes easy pace runs too - your building a decent aerobic base and reaping the rewards for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Somehow I missed your report. Fantastic running and delighted for you as you have been doing great training so it’s great you had a solid return.
    Delighted for you and looking forward to watching all the new PBs over the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I can see you smashing that time :D no bother to you Ariana

How are you getting on what's next

Bit late with this...

Monday, March 26th
    Pilates class - tough class the day after the 10 miler, legs were heavy started off, felt much looser after though.

Tuesday, March 27th
    Total: 11.05km (1:11:12)
    Avg Pace: 6:27 min/km
    Splits: 6:54, 6:28, 6:25, 6:16, 6:31, 6:27, 6:23, 6:26, 6:23, 6:18, 6:22
    Avg HR: 138 bpm
    Comments: Legs still heavy but enjoyed this all the same, nice easy chatting pace.

Wed, March 28th
    REST

Thurs, March 29th
    Total: 10.2 km (1:03:32)
    Avg Pace: 6:14 min/km
    Splits: 6:19, 6:20, 6:11, 6:21, 6:13, 6:12, 6:16, 6:06, 6:14, 6:10, 6:17 (.2)
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: Nothing memorable about this one.

Fri, March 30th
    Rest

Sat, March 31st
    Nothing

Sun, April 1st
    Total: 15.5 km (1:40:08) w/ 8x100m strides
    Avg Pace: 6:28 min/km
    Splits: 6:42, 6:31, 6:38, 6:43, 6:53, 6:49, 6:54, 6:55, 6:29, 5:48, 6:11, 6:36, 6:07, 6:04, 5:54, 5:59 (.5)
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: God this run felt terrible, legs were so lethargic, improved marginally after the strides but I think 3 late nights with visitors, big meals and wine caught up with me, meh

Comments: 36.7km. I knew this week would be a struggle to get anything at all done so overall I can't complain with 3 runs and a Pilates class, it'll have to do now anyhow :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Just catching up on your fab PB now.! Well done your flying it - the training is paying off!!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Just catching up on your fab PB now.! Well done your flying it - the training is paying off!!

Thanks Bluesquare and everyone else who kindly commented words of praise, advice and/or encourage, I appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I knew this week would be a struggle to get anything at all done so overall I can't complain with 3 runs and a Pilates class, it'll have to do now anyhow :cool:

Its a good thing to have a down week like this after a hard training. Let the body recover and adapt - it makes it stronger.

Its a good thing to have a down week like this after a hard training. Let the body recover and adapt - it makes it stronger.

Music to my ears :p

Monday, April 2nd
    Total: 9.7 km (1:01:30)
    Avg Pace: 6:20 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:18, 6:19, 6:23, 6:15, 6:31, 6:17, 6:16, 6:29, 5:56 (.7)
    Comments: No Pilates because of bank holiday so got out for a run instead, nice gentle 60 minutes.

Tuesday, April 3rd
    REST

Wed, April 4th
    Session: 5 x 5 min @ Threshold off 2 mins rec
    Total: 12.15km
    Avg Pace: 5:47 min/km
    Splits Intervals: 5:04, 5:16, 5:11, 5:17, 5:03 (target pace 5:15-5:23 min/km)
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: I wanted to do a session and this was the only one set up on my watch so i went with it even though i had done the same session less than 4 weeks ago. It was quite windy (and cold) which made the intervals a bit tougher than usual but i truly loved this session, i enjoyed it 4 weeks ago also. My splits were a lot faster today but i think that was because last time i tried a bit harder to slow down to stay in the right range :o

Thurs, April 5th
    Comments: Life transpired against my plans to run

Fri, April 6th
    Total: 11.56km (1:15:51)
    Avg Pace: 6:34 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:35, 6:41, 6:31, 6:38, 6:38, 6:25, 6:25, 6:20, 6:46, 6:33, 6:48 (.56)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: crazy windy day I was tempted to skip but so glad I didn't as I really enjoyed this once I got going, on my own again.

Sat, April 7th
    Total: Parkrun 5:06 km (Watch - 25:06, Official - 25:09)
    Avg Pace: 4:58 min/km
    Splits: 4:54, 4:59, 5:05, 4:57, 4:56
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: I kind of thought a PB might just happen today but it didn't, oh well, no major disappointment but just a bit miffed. My Parkrun PB is from December, 6 weeks after DCM and 6 weeks of virtually no running and carrying an injury! Since then I've only done PR twice, once in a santa suit and once in the snow so i kind of thought a PB would be easily had today after 3-4 months of what i thought was decent training but i guess it doesn't pay to be arrogant :o Legs felt heavy on the warm-up, it was a bit of a slog to be honest. Legs felt tired for the day afterwards.

Sun, April 8th
    Total: 14.66 km (1:32:03)
    Avg Pace: 6:17 min/km
    Splits: 6:28, 6:42, 6:36, 6:39, 6:44, 6:33, 6:32, 6:20, 6:03, 6;25, 6:07, 5:53, 6:03, 5;30, 5:16 (.66)
    Comments: I normally don't mind the weather but this was a pretty miserable run. I was on my own and it just bucketed down on me, rain from the sky, spray from the cars/trucks and running through floods - i've never been wetter. I planned to do 2hrs but i was just so cold and miserable i cut it short. I did a bit of a fast finish to try to warm up - a waste of time :rolleyes:

Comments: 53km/33miles. Some weeks i really doubt I'm making any progress and this was kind of one those weeks - patience is a virtue i don't seem to have but chin up on to a new week :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday, April 2nd
    Total: 9.7 km (1:01:30)
    Avg Pace: 6:20 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:18, 6:19, 6:23, 6:15, 6:31, 6:17, 6:16, 6:29, 5:56 (.7)
    Comments: No Pilates because of bank holiday so got out for a run instead, nice gentle 60 minutes.

Tuesday, April 3rd
    REST

Wed, April 4th
    Session: 5 x 5 min @ Threshold off 2 mins rec
    Total: 12.15km
    Avg Pace: 5:47 min/km
    Splits Intervals: 5:04, 5:16, 5:11, 5:17, 5:03 (target pace 5:15-5:23 min/km)
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: I wanted to do a session and this was the only one set up on my watch so i went with it even though i had done the same session less than 4 weeks ago. It was quite windy (and cold) which made the intervals a bit tougher than usual but i truly loved this session, i enjoyed it 4 weeks ago also. My splits were a lot faster today but i think that was because last time i tried a bit harder to slow down to stay in the right range :o

Thurs, April 5th
    Comments: Life transpired against my plans to run

Fri, April 6th
    Total: 11.56km (1:15:51)
    Avg Pace: 6:34 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:35, 6:41, 6:31, 6:38, 6:38, 6:25, 6:25, 6:20, 6:46, 6:33, 6:48 (.56)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: crazy windy day I was tempted to skip but so glad I didn't as I really enjoyed this once I got going, on my own again.

Sat, April 7th
    Total: Parkrun 5:06 km (25:06)
    Avg Pace: 4:58 min/km
    Splits: 4:54, 4:59, 5:05, 4:57, 4:56
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: I kind of thought a PB might just happen today but it didn't, oh well, no major disappointment but just a bit miffed. My Parkrun PB is from December, 6 weeks after DCM and 6 weeks of virtually no running and carrying an injury! Since then I've only done PR twice, once in a santa suit and once in the snow so i kind of thought a PB would be easily had today after 3-4 months of what i thought was decent training but i guess it doesn't pay to be arrogant :o Legs felt heavy on the warm-up, it was a bit of a slog to be honest. Legs felt tired for the day afterwards.

Sun, April 8th
    Total: 14.66 km (1:32:03)
    Avg Pace: 6:17 min/km
    Splits: 6:28, 6:42, 6:36, 6:39, 6:44, 6:33, 6:32, 6:20, 6:03, 6;25, 6:07, 5:53, 6:03, 5;30, 5:16 (.66)
    Comments: I normally don't mind the weather but this was a pretty miserable run. I was on my own and it just bucketed down on me, rain from the sky, spray from the cars/trucks and running through floods - i've never been wetter. I planned to do 2hrs but i was just so cold and miserable i cut it short. I did a bit of a fast finish to try to warm up - a waste of time :rolleyes:

Comments: 53km/33miles. Some weeks i really doubt I'm making any progress and this was kind of one those weeks - patience is a virtue i don't seem to have but chin up on to a new week :cool:

That's a great weeks work. Don't be worrying about the lack of a Parkrun PB. If you were really after that you wouldn't choose to do a tough fast session 3 days before hand and a 75 min run the day before. Those runs take the zip out of the legs. The Parkrun itself will turn out to have been a great session.

Funny how you say it didn’t feel like a great week’s work yet if you hadn’t said that it would look like you did a great week to the rest of us. I think some weeks you just feel a bit meh but you’ve done loads which will of course stand to you.

I know that hoping for a pb in Parkrun feeling. Still a brilliant time though.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's a great weeks work. Don't be worrying about the lack of a Parkrun PB. If you were really after that you wouldn't choose to do a tough fast session 3 days before hand and a 75 min run the day before. Those runs take the zip out of the legs. The Parkrun itself will turn out to have been a great session.
    Thanks S. Yeah i wasn't overly bothered about it for the reasons you said. And despite not being a PB it was I think my first time ever running 4 x 1km @ < 5min/km.

My Parkrun PB only had one sub 5 min km, the first Km was 4:45 and then it was all 5:0x KMs. So my pacing must be improving, it's the little victories right :)

Next goal is to see 5 x 4:xx min/km :)

Advertisement