Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Looks like a very good week to me too. And there seem to be plenty of good reasons for the park run being a little slower than you hoped, but the training is all there for you to get the PB so on another day it'll probably happen easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

5k's are a skill - you need to practice being in the 'hurt zone' to really get used to it.
    you'll be well under 25 is a while if you do a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I agree with everyone else that it was a better week than you think. I also agree with the comments re parkrun. If that was a goal 5k, you'd have tapered more, too.

You lasted longer on your long run than I did in the rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

5k's are a skill - you need to practice being in the 'hurt zone' to really get used to it.
    you'll be well under 25 is a while if you do a few more.

You're bang on the money, even reading your message reminded me i didn't really hurt at all on Saturday, my average HR was low 150s i believe, looking back on 5ks from last year my average HR was mid-170s, bit of a difference there :pac: I've 6 of them coming up between May & June so that's plenty to get me back in the zone :eek:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else that it was a better week than you think. I also agree with the comments re parkrun. If that was a goal 5k, you'd have tapered more, too.

You lasted longer on your long run than I did in the rain :)

Thanks. It was just rotten wasn't it. I don't usually mind the weather once i'm out in it but last night took the biscuit, I don't know if i've ever been wetter on a run - it actually got to the point i felt unsafe because i knew the drivers visibility was effected with the rain too so i called time - no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have to agree with everyone else Ariana! plus I think those splits are fab and was just thinking the same as you when I read them aim for them all to be sub 5 min KM :) looks like a great week to me

• Advertisement

Monday, April 9th
    Pilates class - 1hr

Tuesday, April 10th
    8 x 60 seconds hill
    Total: 9.6 km (58:14)
    Avg Pace: 6:05 min/km
    Interval splits: 4:14, 5:09, 4:44, 4:43, 4:44, 4:41, 4:24, 4:31
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: Unfortunately my hill turned out to be more of a drag so this turned into 1 mins intervals @ 3k pace. The first 2 were a write off because i was trying to figure out a start and end point to make the most of the hill but the rest i tried to get as much elevation as possibly which was still sadly very little (8-10m). Oh well, still a work out of some benefit i hope, you live and learn, i’ll have to find a real hill for next time.

Wed, April 11th
    Midweek long one
    Total: 15.15km (1:39:30)
    Avg Pace: 6:34 min/km
    Splits: 6:38, 6:32, 6:32, 6:20, 6:30, 6:40, 6:50, 6:27, 6:31, 6:38, 6:30, 6:20, 6:31, 6:33, 6:54, 6:55, 6:24 (.15)
    Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Comments: This was with a couple of friends, thoroughly enjoyable run, good chats along the way.

Thurs, April 12th
    REST Day - legs pretty heavy today, a 20 minute recovery jog would probably be a good thing but no chance to fit it in.

Fri, April 13th
    5x6 min Threshold off 2min rec (threshold pace 5:14-5:22min/km)
    Total: 10.16km (1:00:00)
    Interval splits: 5:15, 5:20, 5:12, 5:14, 5:14
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: Did these on my own and thoroughly enjoyed this session again, I ended up doing 5 reps instead of 4 because i just did an edit on last weeks 5x5 min threshold workout and forgot to change the number of reps but no harm i didn't struggle on the last one :cool:

Sat, April 14th
    Very easy
    Total: 5.2 km (35:46)
    Avg Pace: 6:53 min/km
    Splits: 6:54, 6:49, 6:52, 6:53, 6:54, 6:57 (.2)
    Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Comments: On my own for this again, lovely very easy pace just to loosen out after the last night's session. Bit tight for time should have been 60 minutes but i was happy to get anything done.

Sun, April 15th
    Easy
    Total: 10.2 km (1:06:02)
    Avg Pace: 6:28 min/km
    Splits: 6:44, 6:23, 6:27, 6:03, 6:14, 6:30, 6:30, 6:34, 6:39, 6:34, 6:54 (.2)
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: On my own again and second Sunday in a row running in torrential rain and wind, miserable really but that just adds to the feel good factor when it’s done, right :cool:

Comments: 50km/31m. Two consecutive 50km weeks now too and my legs are feeling a little bit of general fatigue. I hope i can keep this kind of mileage more consistently now as a base for possibly DCM training :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great week. Just a quick thing about the hills. The 60 seconds should enable you run 200m give or take. The ideal gradient is about 6% which would be 12m so you're not too far off. You're not looking for something that resembles the north face of the Eiger! ;-) You should be able to run at 5k pace and maintain good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done - great mileage. When will you decide on DCM?
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great week. Just a quick thing about the hills. The 60 seconds should enable you run 200m give or take. The ideal gradient is about 6% which would be 12m so you're not too far off. You're not looking for something that resembles the north face of the Eiger! ;-) You should be able to run at 5k pace and maintain good form.

How do you calculate the gradient? Just wondering what my hill is!

Kellygirl wrote: »

A few ways....you could run it once, by itself and not as part of a run, and then look at the elevation on Strava and work it out or you could create a Strava segment and then the calculations will be done for you.

Thanks.

Truthfully i probably already have, the FOMO is just too much for me :D

I hadn't really discussed with my OH only mentioned it in passing but at the weekend he asked me have i sign up - he was surprised I hadn't. He noticed my running getting more consistent and was putting 2 and 2 together - i think it's a sign :)

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks.

Truthfully i probably already have, the FOMO is just too much for me :D

I hadn't really discussed with my OH only mentioned it in passing but at the weekend he asked me have i sign up - he was surprised I hadn't. He noticed my running getting more consistent and was putting 2 and 2 together - i think it's a sign :)

Yay! Will be fun having people to train with - virtually anyway.

Yay! Will be fun having people to train with - virtually anyway.

It'd be great, we may even have a few of us using the same plan which would be a bonus and then there's the day itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

It'd be great, we may even have a few of us using the same plan which would be a bonus and then there's the day itself :)

What plan are ye thinking of? You know in the off chance I could be persuaded ?

Bluesquare wrote: »
    What plan are ye thinking of? You know in the off chance I could be persuaded ?

You're already showing the early symptoms of FOMO :D

I'm considering the DCM Graduates Plan. I think it will suit me. BUT I haven't actually spent a lot of time, ok any time :o, looking at other plans yet. There's a lot of things i like about the graduates plan, the only small caveat is the longest run is 3hrs and at my easy pace that will only be about 16 miles, so it will take a small leap of faith to run a marathon with a longest run of 16 miles. But there are a lot of other factors which justify this and there's the issue of diminishing returns after 3 hrs so I don't think it's a bad thing, i guess it would just be better if my easy pace was a bit faster if that makes sense :cool:

I'm considering the DCM Graduates Plan. I think it will suit me. BUT I haven't actually spent a lot of time, ok any time :o, looking at other plans yet. There's a lot of things i like about the graduates plan, the only small caveat is the longest run is 3hrs and at my easy pace that will only be about 16 miles, so it will take a small leap of faith to run a marathon with a longest run of 16 miles. But there are a lot of other factors which justify this and there's the issue of diminishing returns after 3 hrs so I don't think it's a bad thing, i guess it would just be better if my easy pace was a bit faster if that makes sense :cool:

Cheers ! Is that plan based on the Hanson model? I do want to do another marathon but only if I’m fit enough for a sub 4. I don’t realky like trying to fit in all the training and give up sleeping in of a Saturday morning - and not prepared to do it unless I’m in with a shot of ticking that off my bucket list.

Cheers ! Is that plan based on the Hanson model? I do want to do another marathon but only if I’m fit enough for a sub 4. I don’t realky like trying to fit in all the training and give up sleeping in of a Saturday morning - and not prepared to do it unless I’m in with a shot of ticking that off my bucket list.

I actually don't know if it's based on Hanson or not, i haven't compared them. I hear you wrt to the sub-4 goal, it's my ultimate goal too, and to be honest for a long time earlier this year my attitude was to skip this year and build a better base for sub-4 next year. However, based on my recent 10 mile time i get a predicted time of 3:59 so I know I'm not far off the sub-4 but i think i need more marathon training and more marathon experience. If i go for an interim goal this year it will hopefully set me up for sub-4 next year (possibly not DCM, maybe a Spring marathon to cash in on the DCM training). I've no idea what the goal will be this year yet, it's too early to tell, it could be anything in the region of 4:2x - 4:0x.

I know I should do the same but I’m uninspired . I need to get the monkey off my back and my theory is if I can’t do that sub 4 is a pipe dream ! I’m a real glass half full girl 🀣. I’m going to see how my training /racing goes until June and then make a call . We would have all aced Boston yesterday as we would have been well conditioned !!!

I know I should do the same but I’m uninspired . I need to get the monkey off my back and my theory is if I can’t do that sub 4 is a pipe dream ! I’m a real glass half full girl ��. I’m going to see how my training /racing goes until June and then make a call . We would have all aced Boston yesterday as we would have been well conditioned !!!

I was a bit like that too but in the end it was the FOMO that got me :P

I know if i don't i'll be sitting at home tracking everyone from here and feeling rightly p*ssed off with myself.

E, regarding your caveat there is one thing you could have a look at. In the plans notes tab is the option to supplement mileage by adding up to 30 minutes very easy running 2-3 times per week. It's an option I take up which you can see on my runs when compared to the plan I am on. :)

E, regarding your caveat there is one thing you could have a look at. In the plans notes tab is the option to supplement mileage by adding up to 30 minutes very easy running 2-3 times per week. It's an option I take up which you can see on my runs when compared to the plan I am on. :)

I hadn't noticed that S, thanks. Do you mean i could add up to 30 mins at very easy pace to the long run to bring it closer to 18/19 miles? Or do you mean that by adding an extra bit regularly to the 60 minute very easy runs i'll be increasing the effect of running my long run on tired legs and therefore get better training stimulus?

I had noticed you are running a bit extra alright. Fair play to you.

I also see my weekly mileage should be at 40 mpw starting the plan - I'm in the low 30s :o

Time will be my issue. Getting out of the house is getting harder and harder with kids' and OH's activities and commitments on the increase all the time, my window to run is often just the bare hour or less.

But then apparently the man who won and the lady who came 2nd in Boston yesterday both work full-time so it should still be possible, i just need to make sure the plan is the right one for me.

• Advertisement

I actually don't know if it's based on Hanson or not, i haven't compared them. I hear you wrt to the sub-4 goal, it's my ultimate goal too, and to be honest for a long time earlier this year my attitude was to skip this year and build a better base for sub-4 next year. However, based on my recent 10 mile time i get a predicted time of 3:59 so I know I'm not far off the sub-4 but i think i need more marathon training and more marathon experience. If i go for an interim goal this year it will hopefully set me up for sub-4 next year (possibly not DCM, maybe a Spring marathon to cash in on the DCM training). I've no idea what the goal will be this year yet, it's too early to tell, it could be anything in the region of 4:2x - 4:0x.

I shouldn't speak for the author, but it's not at all similar to the Hanson plan to my uneducated eye. The only similarity is limiting the long run to three hours, which I believe is a feature of a Jack Daniel's plans too. As you say, the common consensus is that the returns don't outweigh the risk once you go over three hours, so a few different plans by different coaches will feature that.

I hadn't noticed that S, thanks. Do you mean i could add up to 30 mins at very easy pace to the long run to bring it closer to 18/19 miles? Or do you mean that by adding an extra bit regularly to the 60 minute very easy runs i'll be increasing the effect of running my long run on tired legs and therefore get better training stimulus?

I had noticed you are running a bit extra alright. Fair play to you.

I also see my weekly mileage should be at 40 mpw starting the plan - I'm in the low 30s :o

Time will be my issue. Getting out of the house is getting harder and harder with kids' and OH's activities and commitments on the increase all the time, my window to run is often just the bare hour or less.

But then apparently the man who won and the lady who came 2nd in Boston yesterday both work full-time so it should still be possible, i just need to make sure the plan is the right one for me.

My interpretation, and I stress it's mine and mine alone, is that it could be added to any of the very easy run days or to the long run. That is for the 2 plans I have followed so far which both have long runs at even pace. I will need to tweak it a bit when it comes to mixed pace long runs like progressive runs and runs with MP miles. That's months away though and I'll probably pick Testosterscone's brain on that one closer to the time. I'd guess that the extra very easy miles could be added to the beginning of those runs.

Thats tough with the time constraints alright. Hopefully you can find a way. 4am long runs anybody? :pac:

My interpretation, and I stress it's mine and mine alone, is that it could be added to any of the very easy run days or to the long run. That is for the 2 plans I have followed so far which both have long runs at even pace. I will need to tweak it a bit when it comes to mixed pace long runs like progressive runs and runs with MP miles. That's months away though and I'll probably pick Testosterscone's brain on that one closer to the time. I'd guess that the extra very easy miles could be added to the beginning of those runs.

Thats tough with the time constraints alright. Hopefully you can find a way. 4am long runs anybody? :pac:

The long run will be ok, i can get out early on a Saturday morning and still be home in time for the day ahead with the fam. But the midweek evenings after work are getting tighter with more and more activities being added to the rota and increased expectation for parents to get involved (and that is only right too - but i feel we already do more than our share between us) - preschoolers were easier to manage honestly! OH leaves at 7am but getting out at 5.30 am has crossed my mind, I'm afraid i'd be asleep at my desk by lunchtime - but maybe i will just have to embrace it :eek:

Thanks S, I'm sure there'll be a few of us picking the author's brain closer to the time. I do like the idea of a few of us following the same plan at the same time, like last year, though i fear following you will just put the fear in me even more!

The long run will be ok, i can get out early on a Saturday morning and still be home in time for the day ahead with the fam. But the midweek evenings after work are getting tighter with more and more activities being added to the rota and increased expectation for parents to get involved (and that is only right too - but i feel we already do more than our share between us) - preschoolers were easier to manage honestly! OH leaves at 7am but getting out at 5.30 am has crossed my mind, I'm afraid i'd be asleep at my desk by lunchtime - but maybe i will just have to embrace it :eek:

Thanks S, I'm sure there'll be a few of us picking the author's brain closer to the time. I do like the idea of a few of us following the same plan at the same time, like last year, though i fear following you will just put the fear in me even more!

You won't fall asleep at the desk. I've been spoiled the last few months working night shifts which leaves every day free for a run. That ends this weekend and i'll be back to a mix of shifts which increase time pressure. You will be able to adapt to a new routine.

No need to be fearing following this old guy! I'll just be following the plan. I think it's a super plan and as T explained elsewhere it is practically tailored to our demographic. I see too many people following convoluted plans before they are ready for them and this plan is a nice logical progression from what we have done.

Ooh I love when a discussion turns to plans - not that I have anything in particular to add right now. I will have to decide what plan I’m following for DCM but I will finish Cork first and decide then. I will have to pick Testosterone’s brains about how much the plan can be tweaked to allow for my time constraints too so we have a common issue there Ariana. I really like the look of the long runs though and that some of them are sessions of sorts or different paces at least. Would make them nice and interesting.

Ooh I love when a discussion turns to plans - not that I have anything in particular to add right now. I will have to decide what plan I’m following for DCM but I will finish Cork first and decide then. I will have to pick Testosterone’s brains about how much the plan can be tweaked to allow for my time constraints too so we have a common issue there Ariana. I really like the look of the long runs though and that some of them are sessions of sorts or different paces at least. Would make them nice and interesting.

There's lots of time for deciding K yet. I'll be picking your brains too on other plans that you've already done the research on or used!! Time constraints must be a common enough issue for our demographic :cool:

There's lots of time for deciding K yet. I'll be picking your brains too on other plans that you've already done the research on or used!! Time constraints must be a common enough issue for our demographic :cool:

What demographic is that? The yummy mummies? ðŸ˜

What demographic is that? The yummy mummies? ðŸ˜

Is that a compliment there?

Is that a compliment there?

Of course. I'm nice like that ;-))

• Advertisement

Sorry, I can’t quote for seem reason, but if you’re looking at plans, this thread was really interesting:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057743907/25?

Variety of abilities and plans discussed.

Advertisement