Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sorry, I can’t quote for seem reason, but if you’re looking at plans, this thread was really interesting:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057743907/25?

Variety of abilities and plans discussed.

Thanks Huzzah. I must make a list of all the plans I can find and go research them! That should keep me busy for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm nice like that ;-))

:P
    Sorry, I can’t quote for seem reason, but if you’re looking at plans, this thread was really interesting:

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057743907/25?

Variety of abilities and plans discussed.

Thanks Huzzah. Lots of bedtime reading there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

ariana` wrote: »
    :P

Thanks Huzzah. Lots of bedtime reading there :)

If you find one that is a shoe in for a sub 4 and only involves me running 4 times a week at a push 5 let me know !

Bluesquare wrote: »
    If you find one that is a shoe in for a sub 4 and only involves me running 4 times a week at a push 5 let me know !
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Bluesquare wrote: »

Can’t guarantee sub 4 but check out Hal Higdon Marathon 3. That’s what I’m following currently as I only run 4 days a week.

• Advertisement

Monday, April 16th
    Pilates class - 1hr

Tuesday, April 17th
    W/U + 6x2 mins AP off 3 mins recovery (AP 4:49-4:55) + C/D
    Total: 8.52km (48:08)
    Avg Pace: 5:39 min/km
    Interval splits: 4:25, 4:39, 4:48, 4:18, 4:40, 4:44
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: The wind made this difficult but i was still disappointed in how inconsistent the splits were, 30 seconds between the fastest and the slowest and none of them were in the desired range. I find pacing hard on these short intervals, the watch seems to be permanently fluctuating “too fast”/”too slow” to the point i get frustrated and just ignore it and then this is the result! Still a good session, i found it tough enough. The first 2 i was trying to slow down a bit as i knew i went off too fast despite being into the wind. The 3rd had a bit of elevation gain to slow me down naturally. The 4th was down hill and wind assisted and hence the fastest of the night!! I started struggling a bit on the last couple even though the wind was behind me, paying the price for the faster early reps.

Wed, April 18th
    60-75 mins very easy
    Total: 11km (1:13:13)
    Avg Pace: 6:39 min/km
    Splits: 6:20, 6:26, 6:45, 6:37, 6:39, 6:29, 6:43, 6:51, 6:47, 6:46, 6:40
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Another soaking :(

Thurs, April 19th
    REST Day

Fri, April 20th
    60-75 mins very easy
    Total: 10.07 km (1:03:10)
    Avg Pace: 6:16 min/km
    Splits: 6:27, 6:11, 6:14, 6:14, 6:27, 6:20, 6:07, 6:18, 6:15, 6:13
    Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Comments: Some sun finally. Ran this with a friend who sadly buried her dad less than a week ago so it was a totally relaxed chatting run, didn’t look at the watch once, this was all about the company and being there for a friend.

Sat, April 21st
    Parkrun
    Total: 5.03k (25:11) (+4km w/u)
    Avg Pace: 5:00 min/km
    Splits: 5:09, 4:57, 4:59, 5:00, 5:01
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: The warm up (if you could call it that as i didn’t even manage any strides) for this was torture, i was riddled with stitches. Anyhow, i put in a decent effort and this was still my 3rd fastest park run.

Sun, April 22nd
    90 mins -2hr long run
    Total: 14.50 (1:33:50)
    Avg Pace: 6:28 min/km
    Splits: 6:38, 6:41, 6:26, 6:23, 6:34, 6:22, 6:24, 6:17, 6:17, 6:21, 6:21, 6:16, 6:43, 6:38, 7:01 (.5)
    Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Comments: The first 2 km and the last 2.5km were off road on a mix of gravel/grass trail/path, i’m trying to mix things up a little bit. This felt a bit like a slog at times. I’m struggling a bit to get past 90 mins on the long runs, it’s the head more than the legs I think, i have to say this run put some marathon doubts back in my head, i have to increase to 2hr long runs again to see if i can get the head to cooperate before i sign up.

Comments: 53km/33m - Great week for me. Really happy with the mileage and the mix of hard/easy, some doubts about DCM after the long run but that’s ok too, if i decide not to do it then it doesn’t mean i won’t do something else, i just want to make sure that I’m going to be fully committed if i sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sun, April 22nd
    90 mins -2hr long run

Comments: The first 2 km and the last 2.5km were off road on a mix of gravel/grass trail/path, i’m trying to mix things up a little bit. This felt a bit like a slog at times. I’m struggling a bit to get past 90 mins on the long runs, it’s the head more than the legs I think, i have to say this run put some marathon doubts back in my head, i have to increase to 2hr long runs again to see if i can get the head to cooperate before i sign up.

Comments: 53km/33m - Great week for me. Really happy with the mileage and the mix of hard/easy, some doubts about DCM after the long run but that’s ok too, if i decide not to do it then it doesn’t mean i won’t do something else, i just want to make sure that I’m going to be fully committed if i sign up.

A good mileage week.
    You do know that DCM is in October dont you :).
    'most' people haven't even started thinking about marathon training for Dublin yet and it'll be June/July before most start training.

At the stage that most people are just starting training, you'll have a great base of good mileage weeks with a load of 90min+ runs complete.

Sundays long run was after your 3rd fastest parkrun. Of course you'll be fatigued.

A good mileage week.
    You do know that DCM is in October dont you :).
    'most' people haven't even started thinking about marathon training for Dublin yet and it'll be June/July before most start training.

At the stage that most people are just starting training, you'll have a great base of good mileage weeks with a load of 90min+ runs complete.

Sundays long run was after your 3rd fastest parkrun. Of course you'll be fatigued.

Lol i know a little bit irrational but to put the reason behind it is the 5-10k plan has 2 hr long runs on it. So it's just a thought that if i'm struggling with long runs for the shorter stuff how will i fare with the long runs for marathon training. I got flashbacks yesterday to coming home from long runs last Aug & Sept and swearing blind never again :pac:

But thanks, i do think i'll have a decent base. My weekly mileage now isn't too dissimilar to what i did for DCM but it is spread more evenly over the week. I'm feeling pretty good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

your training is going great and what your feeling is normal. Try not think too much about whats to come, you are will able for it and have a great base built up. Miles ahead of anyone else thinking of DCM...I'm currently still on 0m per week!!:D:D

See of you can get someone to join you on a long run even if its for the last hour. it will make a big difference and once you get over that 90 min (which you did Sunday) you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I think you're going great to be honest, I wouldn't be worried if I were you! Plenty of time to build up, and in my experience it's all about being in the habit. i.e. once you are you won't think twice about keeping going for longer.
    I had cut back a lot for a few weeks because of a niggly hip, and as soon as I cut back I found anything remotely longer than the short runs I was now doing was a real mental battle. But after only a week or two of building back up I feel totally used to it again and it's no bother.
    I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and it will fall into place! No need to think that far ahead yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I really struggled with my 14 on Sunday. Don't overthink it :)

I wouldn’t worry yet. I often have similar thoughts and often can be on a shorter run too. Is it the boredom you are worried about?

Do you listen to music or the radio or anything? I never do on short runs but I either listen to the radio or download podcasts of talk shows for my long runs and I love having the time to listen uninterrupted to them. There’s no other time in the week to do that. I tried a few Ted Talks and other podcasts but they did nothing for me but do work for some people.

Monday, April 23rd
    60-75 mins very easy
    Total: 9.5 km (1:02:12)
    Avg Pace: 6:34 min/km
    Splits: 6:46, 6:52, 6:22, 6:33, 6:14, 6:40, 6:32, 6:32, 6:35, 6:34 (.5km)
    Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Comments: Nothing notable really, running on my own so took it handy at my own pace, tomorrow is session day so just wanted to keep this real easy.

Tuesday, April 24th
    5 x 5mins CV (5:02-5:08 min/km) off 4 mins recovery
    Total: 10.4 (59:58)
    Avg Pace: 5:46 min/km
    Interval splits: 5:09, 4:58, 5:03, 5:00, 5:00
    Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Comments: I’ve been picking and choosing these sessions of the grads plan as i’m not really in a position to follow it to the letter between time constraints and trying to fit in a fair few upcoming races. I enjoyed this and happy enough that the splits were on or very close to the target pace.

Wed, April 25th
    90 mins very easy
    Total: 15.25km (1:33:52)
    Avg Pace: 6:09 min/km
    Splits: 6:14, 6:16, 6:19, 6:21, 6:19, 6:22, 6:25, 6:02, 5:57, 6:13, 6:02, 6:07, 5:53, 5:57, 5:49, 6:18 (.25)
    Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Comments: I had company for this and as a result it was slightly faster than normal but still felt very comfortable. I was cold for the first half as well, it’s hard to know what to wear these evenings. This my 6th consecutive day running which may not seem like a lot but it’s my longest streak ever and i was surprised the legs were still feeling ok. Throat was a bit scratchy heading to bed though, feel like something brewing.

Thurs, April 26th
    Planned rest day - very sore throat and feeling well below par.

Fri, April 27th
    Unplanned rest day - 10 hr day at work, feeling rotten and other half hovering at the door to get out when i got home from work meant that i had neither the opportunity or the inclination to run. Oh well :cool:

Sat, April 28th
    W/U, 15min tempo (5:31-5:40), 4min rec, 10min threshold (5:14-5:23), C/D
    Total: 9.1 km (52:33)
    Avg Pace: 5:46 min/km
    Tempo: 5:32, 5:31, 5:36 (.7)
    Threshold: 5:17, 5;18 (.9)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: This felt harder than it should have but i hit both the tempo & threshold paces bang on. HR was high but throat still very sore - tonsils very swollen :(

Sun, April 28th
    Easy with 8 x 100m strides
    Total: 8.5km (50:44)
    Avg Pace: 5:57 min/km
    Splits: 6:13, 6:09, 5:57, 6:00, 5:59, 5:45, 5:44, 5:42, 6:06 (.5)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: Finally starting to feel a bit better after 10 hrs sleep but none the less I shortened this a bit, just wanted to leave myself ready to start a fresh week in good shape. Enjoyable, love the strides and hadn't done them in a while.

Comments: 53km/33m. Another decent mileage week. A mixed bag in terms of not feeling great for a few days but got the 2 sessions done. That’s 4 consecutive 30+ mile weeks now. The long run is still a bit shorter than I'd like with Kinvara HM looming, i was better prepared for it in March if it hadn’t been cancelled but to be honest but i'm running higher mileage overall now and with the extra sessions something has to give, i have to let my legs adjust to the changes if i was doing a very long run as well i'd possibly be risking injury.

Oh and in other news i signed up for DCM so no more dithering on the fence... i can start dithering about what plan to follow instead :pac:

Nice week and hope you're feeling better now.
    Oh and in other news i signed up for DCM so no more dithering on the fence... i can start dithering about what plan to follow instead :pac:

Exciting times!

Hope the throat has stopped hurting now! A great week as usual considering. I’d love a 6 day streak especially when the weather is nice like it is at the moment. I’m always dying to get out in the sun.

Nice week and hope you're feeling better now.

Exciting times!

Thanks, i am feeling much better today. Hope you're feeling good too and still basking in the glory of your great run yesterday :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hope the throat has stopped hurting now! A great week as usual considering. I’d love a 6 day streak especially when the weather is nice like it is at the moment. I’m always dying to get out in the sun.

It's lovely running in this weather isn't it hopefully we'll get much more of it over the next few months :)

Exciting!!! Ahh the joys of plan dithering... I'm well familiar with that particular past time!

That's a great week there, and very consistent despite being sick. Hope you're over it now!

eyrie wrote: »
    Exciting!!! Ahh the joys of plan dithering... I'm well familiar with that particular past time!

That's a great week there, and very consistent despite being sick. Hope you're over it now!

Let me know once the dithering becomes a decision :p

Let me know once the dithering becomes a decision :p

Aaahhh it feels like it never will! Every plan I've looked at looks either too hard or too easy (well 'too easy' is wishful thinking probably, but too light on days/mileage). There doesn't seem to be much out there for beginner marathoners who aren't total beginner runners. Any more of an inclination yourself yet?

• Advertisement

Aaahhh it feels like it never will! Every plan I've looked at looks either too hard or too easy (well 'too easy' is wishful thinking probably, but too light on days/mileage). There doesn't seem to be much out there for beginner marathoners who aren't total beginner runners. Any more of an inclination yourself yet?

Would you think of taking a beginner marathon plan that has say 4 days and add on 2 days of easy miles 60-70 minutes if you want to run 6 days? Or post in random questions with respect to a specific plan or a couple of plans that appeal to you but that aren't quite right, you might get advise on adjusting the mileage to suit.

I'm not surprised you're struggling to find a beginner plan to be honest because i think you have an exceptionally good base for a novice but while it may not be an advantage in choosing a plan it will definitely be an advantage when the training starts.

Was settled on Meno but am now back considering Hanson :confused:

Was settled on Meno but am now back considering Hanson :confused:

Was just out running and was thinking about you actually wondering whether you plan to do Hanson for Berlin.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Was just out running and was thinking about you actually wondering whether you plan to do Hanson for Berlin.

Not sure I'm brave enough, but it's back on my radar.

Sorry for the log hijack, Ariana'. I should probably take my ruminations to the shiny new DCM Mentored Novices Thread (whoot).

Would you think of taking a beginner marathon plan that has say 4 days and add on 2 days of easy miles 60-70 minutes if you want to run 6 days? Or post in random questions with respect to a specific plan or a couple of plans that appeal to you but that aren't quite right, you might get advise on adjusting the mileage to suit.

I'm not surprised you're struggling to find a beginner plan to be honest because i think you have an exceptionally good base for a novice but while it may not be an advantage in choosing a plan it will definitely be an advantage when the training starts.

I would certainly think of doing something like that, yep. Not that I know enough to go modifying plans, but I might have a think alright. Although now I'll hang on and ask you lots of questions in your official capacity! :D

Not sure I'm brave enough, but it's back on my radar.

Sorry for the log hijack, Ariana'. I should probably take my ruminations to the shiny new DCM Mentored Novices Thread (whoot).

I don't mind the hijack any chat is good, we're all in the same boat deciding on plans :eek: but yes do feel free to take your ruminations over to my other abode as well, you're more than welcome ;)
    I would certainly think of doing something like that, yep. Not that I know enough to go modifying plans, but I might have a think alright. Although now I'll hang on and ask you lots of questions in your official capacity! :D

And above applies to you too :p

Monday, April 30th
    10 x 90 secs VO2 Max (4:38-4:43 min/km) off 2 mins rec
    Total: 10.13km (56:56)
    Avg Pace: 5:37 min/km
    Splits: 4:14, 4:28, 4:37, 4:22, 4:37, 4:30, 4:36, 4:44, 4:25, 4:38
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Paces all over the shop for this, find these short intervals hard to pace, also there was a strong breeze playing a part in them.

Tuesday, May 1st
    Recovery
    Total: 5.5km (36:49)
    Avg Pace: 6:42 min/km
    Splits: 6:24, 6:52, 6:57, 6:35, 6:39, 6:44 (.5)
    Avg HR: 148 bpm
    Comments: Nothing memorable about this.

Wed, May 2nd
    Easy miles (fast finish)
    Total: 13.5 km (1.25:02)
    Avg Pace: 6:17 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:22, 6:19, 6:17, 6:45, 6:19, 6:16, 6:23, 6:32, 6:37, 6:21, 5:49, 5:36, 5:36 (.5)
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: Again nothing really memorable about this, i usually do 15km on a Wednesday night but i had to be back to pick up so cut it a bit shorter, also had to speed up the last couple of km for same reason.

Thurs, May 3rd
    Rest - tired legs today.

Fri, May 4th
    No chance to run - a day in the office followed by prepping for a big family weekend :)

Sat, May 5th
    Park run (23:42 - official time)
    Total: 9.2 km inc warm-up
    Avg Pace: 4:46 min/km
    Splits: 4:42, 4:53, 4:48, 4:43, 4:46
    Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Comments: I don’t do PR very often tbh it usually clashes with kids’ activities but i have done it twice recently and both times were over 25 mins (25:09 & 25:12 iirc) and both times i was a tiny bit disappointed no PB (24:57) as i really felt i was in PB shape. Sonia O’Sullivan was visiting my PR today so i couldn’t skip it and i couldn’t face another disappointment so decided to set this up as a workout instead, 4 x 5 mins off 1 min rec. The warm up went well, i felt really good, i did 4.x km with a few strides.

It was late starting so a lot of extra waiting around but the time came and we were off - i went to press start on the watch and realised i wasn’t in the workout so a bit of fiddling in the first 50m but then i was off like a bullet. The first km buzzed and i was surprised the 1min recovery still had started, eventually it did and i did pull back a bit but to be honest, i was feeling good and struggled mentally to slow down to recovery pace, this was the trend that would continue, i was feeling good and running well, i did take some recovery and my watch shows that but never the full minute and i never slowed right down to recovery pace… the average pace was looking good but i was a bit thrown by the workout and the watch buzzing at times other than the 1km markers that i’d normally be used too, all in all it was a bit of a head wreck - but a fast head wreck and i was confident of a Park Run PB :cool:. At the end i clicked stop and my watch read 23:33, this completely threw me, i knew i had missed a bit at the start when i was fiddling with the watch but the distance read 4.94 so i knew i hadn’t missed much, maybe 15 seconds. I was completely blown away, i couldn’t believe i “may have” just broken 24 mins, wow!!!!

I didn’t have long to wait, a couple of hours later my official time came in as 23:42, 54 seconds off my 5k PB (24:36 - June 2017) and 1:15 off my Park Run PB (24:57 - December 2017) - DELIGHTED!!!!! I’m not sure if it counts as a 5km PB or just a Park Run PB but either way i’m thrilled with it, completely made up :pac: I think Sonia inspired me!

Sun, May 6th
    My son’s first holy communion - a great day but no running.

Comments: 38km/24m - a low mileage week but a PB week is never a bad week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant parkrun. Of course it counts! Well done on the pb

Definitely counts as a pb - and a brilliant one at that.

• Advertisement

That’s fantastic! Fantastic run, fantastic PB and a fantastic time. Just, fantastic!

(parkruns definitely count!)

Advertisement