Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great stuff E!! Even if you're only loosely following it (or grabbing bits and pieces from it) I'll add you to the list of those getting PB's, and big ones at that, on the Grads plan! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Love it Ariana sometime PB's happen when we least expect it :) and it does count and it is a great one as well

delighted you have signed up for DCM :) I hope we all get to meet up before or afterward

As for plans, I will have fun checking out all of yours but I am fairly confident I have mine picked for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant parkrun. Of course it counts! Well done on the pb
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Definitely counts as a pb - and a brilliant one at that.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    That’s fantastic! Fantastic run, fantastic PB and a fantastic time. Just, fantastic!

(parkruns definitely count!)

Thanks everyone :)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Great stuff E!! Even if you're only loosely following it (or grabbing bits and pieces from it) I'll add you to the list of those getting PB's, and big ones at that, on the Grads plan! :pac:

That's ok with me ;)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Love it Ariana sometime PB's happen when we least expect it :) and it does count and it is a great one as well

delighted you have signed up for DCM :) I hope we all get to meet up before or afterward

As for plans, I will have fun checking out all of yours but I am fairly confident I have mine picked for DCM

Thanks N..... Well you know i hate to disappoint anyone :D but I am fairly confident you won't hear any more talk about plans from me either, my mind is made up.... I'll be doing the Grads Intermediate Plan - with my paces (based on my new 5k time) any doubts i had are gone, it will be a challenge but hopefully i can do it justice :cool: Are you going to go down the HR route for DCM or what are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Amazing parkrun, well done!! Great going. Definitely counts.
    Super to get such a good result at this stage too, feeds into the marathon training plans nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done! A pb is a pb, and that's a good one to boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Possibly the 1st time I've heard of someone running a 5k PB but doing it as a session!
    They all count.

Congrats.

Possibly the 1st time I've heard of someone running a 5k PB but doing it as a session!
    They all count.

Congrats.
    Thanks. I know it's all a bit strange, i'm delighted of course but a part of me wants to run a proper 5k now to see what i can do... on paper i should be able to beat Saturday's session PB but i have a feeling it will take a while to match it again never mind beat it... PBs are funny things i think sometimes, a lot of training, a lot of things going right on the day and a pinch of "je ne sais quoi" :cool:

Ariana, nope I will be following the grads plan myself and the paces match heart rate zones so it is all good :)

Hopefully, I can aim for a 1/2 or 10 miler to get a better picture of where I am at my 5k PB is from January so I wonder if I should use that

Baby75 wrote: »
    Ariana, nope I will be following the grads plan myself and the paces match heart rate zones so it is all good :)

Hopefully, I can aim for a 1/2 or 10 miler to get a better picture of where I am at my 5k PB is from January so I wonder if I should use that

It's hard to know isn't it. My 10 mile paces are slower than my 5km paces. My 5km is more recent but i suspect that my 10 mile would be more appropriate to use as it's closer in distance to the event i'm training for? Anyhow, sorry i'm waffling, yeah i think it would be great if you could get a race in between now and the start of the plan? I don't think the plan will start until late July (23rd??) so there's time in there for a race if you can find something too suit but not too soon that you might aggravate your Achilles.

ariana` wrote: »
    It's hard to know isn't it. My 10 mile paces are slower than my 5km paces. My 5km is more recent but i suspect that my 10 mile would be more appropriate to use as it's closer in distance to the event i'm training for? Anyhow, sorry i'm waffling, yeah i think it would be great if you could get a race in between now and the start of the plan? I don't think the plan will start until late July (23rd??) so there's time in there for a race if you can find something too suit but not too soon that you might aggravate your Achilles.

We should ask in the thread, see what others think on which one to use! there is one in June near me & I will go back to physio first, but I am feeling good but still taking it slowly

• Advertisement

Yes young lady, waffle of the highest order! :pac: Train to your most recent race, the 5k, and the corresponding training paces on the calculator. Always train to your current fitness level. :D

This doesn't mean you could currently race at the predicted race times but it is what your training is geared towards. The closer the race distance to 5k the sooner you should be able to target the times.

Yes young lady, waffle of the highest order! :pac: Train to your most recent race, the 5k, and the corresponding training paces on the calculator. Always train to your current fitness level. :D

This doesn't mean you could currently race at the predicted race times but it is what your training is geared towards. The closer the race distance to 5k the sooner you should be able to target the times.

Thanks S, this is what i was hoping. I think the sessions will really challenge me with the new paces, threshold/tempo/CV all suddenly seem fast :eek: and if i manage those i should be appropriately tired enough so that the easy paces won't feel too easy. Dying to start it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Well done on the pb, they are hard to come by especially on the shorter races!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done, ariana :). Only a matter of time before the sub 23!

Looking forward to seeing how your own DCM training will go.

diego_b wrote: »
    Well done on the pb, they are hard to come by especially on the shorter races!

Well done, ariana :). Only a matter of time before the sub 23!

Looking forward to seeing how your own DCM training will go.

Thanks! But i still think the sub 24 was a fluke, i'll be a while trying to repeat it i'd say never mind sub-23 :eek:

I'm really excited about DCM training now, i've a few more bits 'n' bobs lined up for the rest of May and into June and then the focus will be very much on Dublin :)

Monday, May 7th
    Comments: Shattered after the weekend of celebrations, managed a 5k walk just to get some air but that’s it. Back and legs really really achy, probably from a combination of the hard parkrun on Saturday, followed by 12 hours straight of cleaning the house and then wearing high heels and being on my feet all day again on Sunday.

Tuesday, May 8th
    Easy miles
    Total: 9.67 km (57:56)
    Avg Pace: 6:00 min/km
    Splits: 6:16, 5:58, 6:01. 5:54, 5:59, 5:55, 5:57, 5:57, 6:01, 5:54 (.67)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Ok so maybe not quite easy more like moderate pace but i was with a group and went with their pace. Legs still quite heavy and just feeling generally achey.

Wed, May 9th
    Comments: No running. Fed up of the aching body so booked a deep tissue sports massage. She went pretty deep, lots of ouchey moments, worst was my neck, QL muscles and into the glutes on my left hand side.

Thurs, May 10th
    Easy Hour
    Total: 9.75 km (1:04:48)
    Avg Pace: 6:39 min/km
    Splits: 6:57, 6:43, 6:46, 6:42, 6:36, 6:41, 6:28, 6:35, 6:32, 6:24 (.75)
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Did this on my own, nothing very memorable, really tried to keep the pace in the Easy range (6:40-6:54 min/km)

Fri, May 11th
    1m w/u, 30min tempo, 1m c/d (tempo pace 5:17-5:24 min/km)
    Total: 9.31km (53:29)
    Avg Pace: 5:45 min/kn
    Tempo Splits: 5:30, 5:26, 5:24, 5:18, 5:12, 5:22 (.6)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: This was my new tempo pace and i won’t deny this was a hard run. The first km was a long drag so i didn’t quite hit the pace but the effort was definitely tempo! I enjoyed it though, it felt good to be running at the effort for an extended duration.

Sat, May 12th
    Long slow run
    Total: 16.2 km (1:51:19)
    Avg Pace: 6:52 min/km
    Splits: 7:00, 8:07, 7:21, 7:07, 7:07, 6:51, 6:57, 6:40, 6:37, 6:45, 6:47, 6:42, 6:30, 6:36, 6:28, 6:26, 6:43 (.2)
    Avg HR: 157 bpm
    Comments: This run was pretty awful, i’m not sure if it was just tiredness from the previous night’s tempo or was it just that i’m out of the habit of running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach but i was riddled with stitches for at least the first 8km, i reckon it was 10k before they fully went and i just never really settled into this at all. At the end i actually came very close to vomiting, the effort was extreme.

Sun, May 13th
    Recovery Run
    Total: 5.35 km (40:00)
    Avg Pace: 7:29 min/km
    Splits: 7:25, 7:28, 7:18, 7:32, 7:32, 7:56 (.35)
    Comments: Beautiful sunny Sunday morning, nice easy run by the river, no stitches, phew!

Comments: 50km/31m. Not a bad ole week, only 1 session but it was a tough one and being sensible i simply wasn’t fit for a session earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

A good week all things considered Ariana.

Don’t know much about stitches but would you normally run 10 miles with nothing to eat beforehand? I’m not sure I could but I haven’t tried either. I have a fear of being hungry :-)

Kellygirl wrote: »
    A good week all things considered Ariana.

Don’t know much about stitches but would you normally run 10 miles with nothing to eat beforehand? I’m not sure I could but I haven’t tried either. I have a fear of being hungry :-)

Thanks. I'd say it was a possible cause if i got the stitch later in the run but it was literally from the off. I did my long runs last year on an empty stomach up to a point, i can't remember what that point was though, i should read back on my log, i did eventually start having a slice of toast before the i left the house... It was such a beautiful morning i was eager to get going thinking it was going to be a fabulous run :rolleyes:

Monday, May 14th
    1m w/u + 5 x 3min @ AP Pace off 2 mins rec + 1m c/d
    Total: 9.7 km (57:26)
    Avg Pace: 5:55 min/km
    Intervals: Target pace 4:37-4:42 min/km
    4:30
    4:41
    4:44
    4:37
    4:35
    Avg Intervals: 4:36 min/km
    Comments: This was a tough session but i got a great buzz when it was done. I was disappointed in the first rep, i’m not sure how it was so far outside the pace, the watch kept telling me i was “too slow” on this one and then it ended up being 7 seconds fast :confused: I felt that by the 3rd one i was feeling the pace a bit better.

Tuesday, May 15th
    Easy Hour
    Total: 10.34 km (1:02:39)
    Avg Pace: 6:03 min/km
    Splits: 6:22, 6:23, 6:22, 6:12, 6:18, 5:56, 5:49, 5:49, 5:39, 5:48, 5:55 (.34)
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: A run of two halves - first 5km on my own at my own pace, 2nd 5km with friends at their pace. Enjoyed my own pace better but enjoyed the company on the second half but felt the effort climb a bit more than i’d like on easy hour.

Wed, May 16th
    90 mins easy
    Total: 14.1km (1:27:01)
    Avg Pace: 6:10 min/km
    Splits: 6:12, 6:19, 6:11, 6:03, 6:13, 6:05, 5:55, 6:04, 5:55, 6:11, 6:04, 6:20, 6:20, 6:30, 6:34 (.1)
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: Warm evening, really parched after this, regretted not bringing some water with me, the last couple of km were a slog and i cut the run a few minutes short.

Thurs, May 17th
    OFF

Fri, May 18th
    Moved session to Saturday and did easy with strides
    Total: 10.2 km (1:07:44)
    Avg Pace: 6:38 min/km
    Splits: 7:06, 6:54, 6:55, 6:59, 6:52, 6:51, 6:05, 5:56, 5:58, 6:45, 6:59 (.2)
    Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Comments: The faster splits included the strides. Lovely run, on my own at my own easy pace on a beautiful balmy Friday evening - the world is good :)

Sat, May 19th
    Warm up + Parkrun @ threshold pace (5:01-5:09 min/km)
    Total: 9.8km
    Threshold Splits: 4:58, 5:02, 5:03, 5:01, 5:02 (average: 5:01 min/km)
    Avg HR: 148 pm
    Comments: Official time park run time: 24:59. I was planning to do 2 x 12 min @ threshold on Friday but it was my friend's 50th park run so i switched things around - i knew i wouldn't do the recovery pace if i stuck with the session so i went with park run at threshold pace hoping it wouldn't be too much for me. I set the watch to keep me in the range of 5:00-5:10. I did a nice long warm-up with a few strides and the threshold pace felt hard If i'm honest, i caught up with a friend of mine at 2k and we ran the rest shoulder to shoulder until he took off in the last 400m but i stuck with my pace and finished it out in the most even splits i think i've ever ran at park run :)

Sun, May 20th
    OFF

Comments: 54km/33.5m. The new paces are really making the sessions significantly tougher. I need slow down the easy runs again, the pace is creeping up especially when i run in a group. Friday's run was perfect, more of those and less of the 6:00-6:20 pace easy runs which really aren't that easy but a good week none the less, the mileage is consistent the sessions are going well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You've already alluded to it but you're sessions have got harder and you're easy runs are actually a tad faster than a few weeks ago. Somethings gotta give!

• Advertisement

You've already alluded to it but you're sessions have got harder and you're easy runs are actually a tad faster than a few weeks ago. Somethings gotta give!

Yip pointed taken for sure - thanks :cool:

I've noticed my easy pace naturally starting to get significantly slower again over the last few weeks, and it's definitely happened as the 'work' days are getting harder. Seems to be important in order to keep the balance. Just letting it happening and not trying to keep up with previous paces is definitely the challenge though! That's a great week anyway, well done :)

eyrie wrote: »
    I've noticed my easy pace naturally starting to get significantly slower again over the last few weeks, and it's definitely happened as the 'work' days are getting harder. Seems to be important in order to keep the balance. Just letting it happening and not trying to keep up with previous paces is definitely the challenge though! That's a great week anyway, well done :)
    My issue is running with friends, i can't seem to slow them down enough and lately i'm finding it's taking more effort to stay at their pace, i need to let them off, just a shame as i do love a bit of company occasionally and it's one of the reason i started running so i'm quite conflicted about this.

Ah I hear you, that's a tough one alright. And not a problem I have to be honest as none of my friends run! Could you limit it to one run a week and do the rest by yourself? So you still get the social element but not too much? Or limit it to sessions rather than easy runs maybe, and warm up/cool down together but do your own session in the middle (assuming the others aren't doing the same kind of session).

ariana` wrote:
    Yip pointed taken for sure - thanks

I'm guilty of it myself from time to time. We all are. At least you have an excuse!

eyrie wrote: »
    Ah I hear you, that's a tough one alright. And not a problem I have to be honest as none of my friends run! Could you limit it to one run a week and do the rest by yourself? So you still get the social element but not too much? Or limit it to sessions rather than easy runs maybe, and warm up/cool down together but do your own session in the middle (assuming the others aren't doing the same kind of session).
    They don't do sessions. I'm trying to introduce the concept but so far it's a brick wall i'm meeting. They do park run hard every Saturday and they race a lot and everything else is done at the same pace which is probably easy for 1 of them (she's faster than me) and is probably tempo for another 1 of them and threshold pace for the rest of them :rolleyes:

On re-reading that i realise that actually that is probably why the 1 girl who is faster than me is still getting PBs because she's actually doing a lot of easy pace running without realising it intermixed with hard park runs whereas the others are all running hard-ish all the time. Interesting...

They don't do sessions. I'm trying to introduce the concept but so far it's a brick wall i'm meeting. They do park run hard every Saturday and they race a lot and everything else is done at the same pace which is probably easy for 1 of them (she's faster than me) and is probably tempo for another 1 of them and threshold pace for the rest of them :rolleyes:

On re-reading that i realise that actually that is probably why the 1 girl who is faster than me is still getting PBs because she's actually doing a lot of easy pace running without realising it intermixed with hard park runs whereas the others are all running hard-ish all the time. Interesting...

It's a tough one alright and it's the main reason I haven't yet joined a club. When I look at club runs of runners I follow with similar race times I see that they run waaaayyyy faster than I want to run easy and long runs at the moment. Maybe after another training block or two I might feel in a better place for club runs like that.

It's a tough one alright and it's the main reason I haven't yet joined a club. When I look at club runs of runners I follow with similar race times I see that they run waaaayyyy faster than I want to run easy and long runs at the moment. Maybe after another training block or two I might feel in a better place for club runs like that.

I'm sure there are benefits of running in a club too that might out weigh the disadvantages of running long runs a bit faster (if it were only a small bit faster).

Once i start the plan for DCM anyhow i'll be pretty much training on my own again anyhow as i did last year.

skyblue46 wrote:

I've noticed the same. They also seem to run the sessions much quicker than their current race pace suggests.

• Advertisement

I've noticed the same. They also seem to run the sessions much quicker than their current race pace suggests.

All sessions at VO2 max! Did nobody ever tell you that it's not a session unless an ambulance is required and your inners are decorating the tarmac? Hahaha

Advertisement