Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report and congrats again. You ran a great race. Funnily enough I’ve had the same reaction of feeling faint and seeing stars after both Limerick and Cork the other day. Had to sit down on the ground suddenly both times. I’m prone to fainting in heat anyway so I just put it down to that and the sudden stop after running for so long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    5k Series - Race #1

My watch read 23:33, my official time came in at 23:32.6 a brand new pb which I am very very proud of :D

As well you should be. Congratulations on the PB - what a great time!
    Rock n Road Half Marathon 2018

I went to the start with 5:24-5:38 (min/km) written on my hand in biro - my very scientific version of a pace band :P

I do this as well!
    - I wore new socks that i haven't worn before - yes i got a small blister

I did this for Wexford - surprisingly ouchie.

Ariana', congratulations on the PB and a great run. We're all inclined to be critical of our racing and there's probably always something we could have done better, but I think it was a really well-executed run by you. I'm delighted to read all the positive vibes and great results from you recently, particularly after your injury setback. It really is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Loads to catch up on here! But the most important thing first: congratulations!!
    If you saw anyone else here post that they had run such a massive PB you'd be telling them what a great job they did, so please don't be so hard on yourself! The amount you've improved in the last few months is incredible, and if you're feeling disappointed it's only because you know there's even more there, so more good things to come. Take the time to enjoy this one though if you can. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great report and congrats again. You ran a great race. Funnily enough I’ve had the same reaction of feeling faint and seeing stars after both Limerick and Cork the other day. Had to sit down on the ground suddenly both times. I’m prone to fainting in heat anyway so I just put it down to that and the sudden stop after running for so long too.

Thanks K. Do you have low blood pressure? I'm prone to fainting and tend to have low blood pressure, it's just never happened after a race before so maybe it was the heat that did it this time.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    As well you should be. Congratulations on the PB - what a great time!

I do this as well!

I did this for Wexford - surprisingly ouchie.

Ariana', congratulations on the PB and a great run. We're all inclined to be critical of our racing and there's probably always something we could have done better, but I think it was a really well-executed run by you. I'm delighted to read all the positive vibes and great results from you recently, particularly after your injury setback. It really is well deserved.

Thanks Huzzah :) And welcome back, hope you had a great time!
    eyrie wrote: »
    Loads to catch up on here! But the most important thing first: congratulations!!
    If you saw anyone else here post that they had run such a massive PB you'd be telling them what a great job they did, so please don't be so hard on yourself! The amount you've improved in the last few months is incredible, and if you're feeling disappointed it's only because you know there's even more there, so more good things to come. Take the time to enjoy this one though if you can. Well done :)

So true :o Thanks! Yes it's been an amazing few months which i can only attribute to the structured training for DCM last year and all i learnt about training from the novices thread and from the feedback on this log. All the slow miles this Winter have paid off :)

Thanks K. Do you have low blood pressure? I'm prone to fainting and tend to have low blood pressure, it's just never happened after a race before so maybe it was the heat that did it this time.

I do and need to be very careful about hydration in the heat too. I’ve given some classic performances with sudden drops to the ground in the past, ending up in hospital once in Poland :eek:

I think it’s the heat as Limerick and Cork were the only two it’s happened to me in the last couple of years and both very hot days.

• Advertisement

I do and need to be very careful about hydration in the heat too. I’ve given some classic performances with sudden drops to the ground in the past, ending up in hospital once in Poland :eek:

I think it’s the heat as Limerick and Cork were the only two it’s happened to me in the last couple of years and both very hot days.
    Oh I'd say that was an interesting experience in Poland! It sounds like we're kindred spirits so K! I went to visit my granny in hospital once and caused an awful scene when she showed me a bruise and I hit the ground in a flash - mortified, i had to get stitches another time after fainting and splitting my head open, the nurse gave me awful grief - she spotted my engagement ring and jumped to the wild conclusion that i had to be dieting because i was a bride to be :mad: Thankfully i manage it a bit better and recognise the signs a bit quicker in my more mature years :P

Oh I'd say that was an interesting experience in Poland! It sounds like we're kindred spirits so K! I went to visit my granny in hospital once and caused an awful scene when she showed me a bruise and I hit the ground in a flash - mortified, i had to get stitches another time after fainting and splitting my head open, the nurse gave me awful grief - she spotted my engagement ring and jumped to the wild conclusion that i had to be dieting because i was a bride to be :mad: Thankfully i manage it a bit better and recognise the signs a bit quicker in my more mature years :P

We could share some funny stories I think. :D I freaked all my friends out on hols once as they thought our drinks were spiked and I was just first to collapse :D I’d to get stitches that time in Poland under my chin and had a lovely plaster up each side of my face for a bit after! :rolleyes:

Same as you though, I know when it’s coming and just sit down as soon as I can or get somebody to walk me to the bathroom. Did that in the pub after the marathon the other day as felt it happening again there. Moved indoors after that as I couldn’t handle the heat and were sitting in the sun. Earlier after the race I was standing chatting and just sat down on the footpath suddenly in the middle of everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the pb - a sub 2 hour half isn’t easy , it took me about 4 goes !!! Hats off racing in that weather - running is very tough at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up here - super PB - great to see. You should be full of confidence that what you are doing is working!

Monday, June 4th
    60 mins very easy
    Total: 8.3km (1:00:15)
    Avg Pace: 7:16 min/km
    Splits: 7:11, 7:20, 7:12, 7:08, 7:12, 7:06, 7:23, 7:26, 7:45, 7:16 (.3)
    Avg HR: 131 bpm
    Comments: A nice easy one after the HM at the weekend.

Tuesday, June 5th
    5k Road Race
    Total: 5.01 km (23:38)
    Avg Pace: 4:43 min/km
    Splits: 4:32, 4:46, 4:43, 4:46, 4:47, 3:11 (.01)
    Avg HR: 169 bpm
    Comments: No pressure on me for this, i set a 5k pb (23:33) two weeks ago and a HM pb at the weekend so i went into this hoping to run under 24 mins for consistency. Another very warm night. My pacing plan was to go off hard and see how long i could hold on, simple as that. I started about 5 rows back - the crowd was about 180 on narrow country roads. Late arriving meant a mad dash to the start and we were off before I knew it. So i pretty much did as planned and started hard. By the 3rd km i was steadily closing ground and over-taking other runners. Usually my last km is one of my fastest but today it was the slowest and I only managed a kick for the last 50m or so but I was thrilled to finish in 23:38, a course PB of 58 seconds, only 5 seconds slower than my PB and on a tougher course and with all splits sub 4:50 for the first time. I recorded a km record of 4:31, and a mile record of 7:24. So lots of positives to take away from it, it felt like a cracking run and something about it just really gave me a confidence boost - it really hit home that this is my 5k pace now! It felt like a really solid performance, strong and in control throughout. In hindsight a pb probably was possible if i had been really gunning for it and willing to suffer a little bit more in the last km. However it’s funny but i think i may just be a little bit more chuffed with this than i am my half marathon pb at the weekend - go figure!

Wed, June 6th
    50 mins Very easy
    Total: 7.22 km (50:02)
    Avg Pace: 6:56 min/km
    Splits: 6:54, 6:48, 7:04, 7:07, 6:58, 6:53, 6:47, 6:54 (.22)
    Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Comments: Another very hot evening, i was limited to 50 mins so 50 mins i did, kept it fairly easy, sweated buckets but felt grand otherwise!

Thurs, June 7th
    OFF

Fri, June 8th
    65 mins very easy with a few strides
    Total: 9.6km (1:05:02)
    Avg Pace: 6:47 min/km
    Splits: 6:58, 6:59, 6:51, 6:56, 6:55, 6:40, 6:23, 6:20, 6:52, 7:11 (.2)
    Avg HR: 136 bpm
    Comments: It was late when I got out for this, nice and cool after a 3 hour thunderstorm! I passed 1,000km for the year on this run.

Sat, June 9th
    35 mins easy
    Total: 5.25 km (35:15)
    Avg Pace: 6:43 min/km
    Splits: 6:50, 6:44, 6:42, 6:34, 6:37, 7:05 (.25)
    Avg HR: 132 bpm
    Comments: Limited time again but took the window i had between everything else that was going on.

Sun, June 10th
    90min LSR
    Total: 15.2km (1:34:23)
    Avg Pace: 6:13 min/km
    Splits: 6:44, 6:28, 6:20, 6:38, 6:38, 6:18, 6:14, 6:25, 6:10, 6:14, 6:03, 6:07, 5:52, 5:41, 5:24, 5:45 (.2)
    Avg HR: 148 bpm
    Comments: Enjoyed this and yes, i know it was a bit quicker than it should have been, i couldn’t help myself, it felt great. I'll be back on my best behaviour next week i promise :)

Comments: 50.6km/31m. Yeah, another good week, happy out with how things are going. 10k next weekend, would love sub 50 and in theory i should be able but my pb on the course from last year is 54:xx so it’s a big ask - hopefully i can answer.

• Advertisement

Just catching up here - super PB - great to see. You should be full of confidence that what you are doing is working!

Thanks A. I've never had such a run of big PBs and i doubt i ever will again but i attribute it almost wholly to the novices thread. It was undoubtedly the best thing i ever did for my running - the advice was second to none. I really feel it's now I am reaping the benefits of it. So it's thanks to WW, your good self and the others (I won't start naming names in case i forget someone :o) who mentored us so well :)

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed everything goes your way in the 10km. The sub 50 would be a great achievement.

So lots of positives to take away from it, it felt like a cracking run and something about it just really gave me a confidence boost - it really hit home that this is my 5k pace now! It felt like a really solid performance, strong and in control throughout.

I love this. It really made me smile.

Good luck in the 10k at the weekend - looking forward to reading all about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done again Ariana you did amazing :)

Good luck at the 10km you will do great though

Ah I loved that report, and the (well-earned) sense of confidence that comes through from it. The fact that your last km was your slowest suggests that you really went for it from the start as you planned to do, and as someone who struggles to make myself do that I think it's very brave! Well done

Monday, June 11th
    60 mins very easy
    Total: 9.37 km (1:02:41)
    Avg Pace: 6:41 min/km
    Splits: 6:46, 6:44, 6:27, 6:32, 6:34, 6:43, 6:42, 6:47, 6:55, 6:47 (.37)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: Nothing to write home about here a pretty typical 60 min easy run.

Tuesday, June 12th
    5k Road Race
    Total: 4.98 km (24:58)
    Avg Pace: 5:00 min/km
    Splits: 5:09, 5:16, 5:09, 4:47, 4:40
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Bad planning here or no real planning, the target for the week was the 10k so didn’t really know how to manage this, in the end i took it easy for 3km aiming for 26 minutes, however i’m not really sure what happened then but it seems i sped up for the last 2 km.

Wed, June 13th
    OFF

Thurs, June 14th
    50 mins very easy
    Total: 8km (52:38)
    Avg Pace: 6:35 min/km
    Splits: 6:32, 6:25, 6:20, 6:23, 6:34, 6:48, 6:38, 6:57
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Again a pretty typical easy run although pace was more easy than very easy, need to watch it creeping up again :o

Fri, June 15th
    20 mins very easy
    Total: 3.34 km (22:13)
    Avg Pace: 6:39 min/km
    Splits: 6:45, 6:44, 6:25, 6:52 (.34)
    Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Comments: Again pace a bit more easy than very easy, average HR for similar run the night before the HM 2 weeks ago was 120 bpm :(

Sat, June 16th
    10km Race
    Total: 10.02km (49:49)
    Avg Pace: 4:58 min/km
    Splits: 4:37, 4:54, 4:49, 4:48, 5:05, 5:06, 5:13, 5:17, 5:07, 4:50, 3:00 (.02)
    Avg HR: 180 (Max 200) bpm
    Comments: My 4th time running this race, last year was 54:xx. The goal this year had to be sub 50 but being honest based on a 23:33 5k i thought very low 49:xx should be possible. It’s my home race, the start line is half a mile from my house and the route is my training ground, i could run it in my sleep. I know the drag in km 2 and from 6-8 km is all little rolling hills - no trouble on an easy run but they’ve always got me on this 10k race. It starts at 3pm and the 3 times i’ve done it it’s been either hot or humid so i was pleased to see a cool morning on Saturday, maybe this year would be different as i’ve never felt i’ve done this race justice. Just before i went out the door my other half warned me that the breeze would be into my face from 8-10km - just what i wanted to hear, not! Anyhow, after a pretty nervous and long morning i rocked over around 2:20, a short warm up, a few stretches, a last pit stop, lots of chats with the locals and we were off.

The race
    The first km was fast but it’s a fast km anyhow and the breeze was behind us so i wasn’t worried about the fast start until i turned the corner at around 800m, i don’t know what happened but i very suddenly started to feel very very warm and sticky and struggled to find air, by 900m my throat was dry and i was gasping for a drink. I would never normally drink at the first water station in any race but today i did, and i was glad of it. The 2nd km i attempted to slow the pace as i know there’s a sneaky pull that you hardly notice but it takes it out of you. I did manage to pull it back but enough? KM 3 & 4 both came in sub 5 min/km pace but i was feeling a bit uncertain at this stage, I had a feeling i was working far harder than i should have been for the splits i was getting. KM 5 and the pace slipped, my first km over 5 mins and it shouldn’t have been. A bend in the road at the start of the 6th km and suddenly hit with a breeze - crap the rolling hills and the breeze into my face, kept telling myself ok i was going to lose time but it’s about damage limitation now, do what you can. I was pretty relieved to see this km clock in at 5:13 as i thought well that’s the slowest km out of the way, so i’m still ok for sub 50 and possibly still closer to 49 than 50! But i was wrong - the damage was done and even though the next km was on paper easier, i was slower, it was such a struggle. I was never so glad to see 8km and the last turn - usually a fast 2km home - right? No, wrong? The breeze was still there in our faces (my husband had warned me) and my legs were just gone, nothing left. I just watched the average pace go up and up and i saw sub 50 slip away from me, i wanted to cry at this stage but kept telling myself to keep going. My kids were at the last bend, 200m from the line, shouting “run faster mommy”, so sweet and i did muster a bit of a sprint finish for them and in the end i somehow managed to pull a sub 5 min km out of the bag for the last km and barely scraped in under 50 mins. Delighted to break the milestone 50 minutes for 10k but totally beat by the race!

I felt such a mix of emotions after it. Relieved in one way to see my crazy high HR for the race, so at least i didn’t imagine the struggle - it was real. I've never come anywhere near the average or max HR that i hit during this race :eek:

But i still feel i have to ask questions of myself - in no particular order

Have i been over-training - the pace on my easy runs this week were definitely a bit fast.

Too many races recently?

Do i need more practice at 10k - one a year probably isn’t enough to perfect race tactics :rolleyes:

Is this race just not the race for me - the added pressure of being on home turf.

Bad pacing perhaps - did i run the first 4km too fast? They were faster than they needed to be even for sub 49.

I got a lot of nice comments on Strava and as one person said "chalk it up..." and that's what i'll do, it was a big pb and i broke through another milestone and no doubt the experience will stand to me.

Sun, June 17th
    55 mins
    Total: 8.62km (55:11)
    Avg Pace: 6:24 min/km
    Splits: 6:08, 6:28, 6:17, 6:27, 6:29, 6:13, 6:40, 6:25, 6:39 (.62)
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: One word - Hungover :cool:

Comments: 44km/27m and a sub 50 10k, delighted to have achieved that milestone. I’ve now got significant PBs @ 5km, 8km, 10km, 10m & HM in 2018 - nothing wrong with that! Looking forward to start training for DCM myself now and getting the novices off the ground as well. Exciting times ahead :)

I think, while they're anything but enjoyable at the time, those kinds of races are really important actually. To have to really struggle but come through it - surely that's what builds the experience and resilience for the next one. All that and you STILL got the sub 50!
    Do i need more practice at 10k - one a year probably isn’t enough to perfect race tactics :rolleyes:

Is this race just not the race for me - the added pressure of being on home turf.

As for these questions, sounds like it would certainly be no harm to do a different 10k too. Get a bit more experience of them while also getting to try out if a different race makes a difference. No harm to mix things up.

Anyway enough rambling from me - HUGE congrats on the PB!

Hungover running seems to be the theme for yesterday.

Congrats on the PB!

It's good to analyse, but don't be too hard on yourself, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seeing as 10k is my favourite distance I have to get involved here. haha.

First thing first - knocking 4 minutes off a course pb over a year is no mean feat. You definitely need to acknowledge that. That's huge.

You do tend to be a bit harsh on yourself at times. The internal dialogue you had during that race was mostly beating yourself up. 10k's are tough. To run anywhere near a pb takes a lot of effort. It shouldn't feel easy. You should feel like quitting especially as the race goes on. It means you're running close to your max (I say close because rarely do we ever run at max even if we think we are). For future races try to replace the negative internal dialogue with positive reinforcements. "I'm doing great". "I'm strong". "I'll catch that person ahead". Even when the race isn't going your way try to replace the negative thoughts with something positive.

Try to ignore the watch in the later stages. It won't give you good news. If you see a slow pace you'll beat yourself up. If you see a fast pace you'll use that gain as an excuse to ease back when it gets really tough again.

On your other questions;

Have i been over-training - the pace on my easy runs this week were definitely a bit fast.
    I think only you can judge how easy your easy is and if its easy enough. What I will say is generally your easy runs look ok to me but you know best.

Too many races recently?
    How many have you ran recently?

Do i need more practice at 10k - one a year probably isn’t enough to perfect race tactics
    Tactics aside, to get good at any distance you need to run it often, especially 5k and 10k.

Pressure is self inflicted so its how you handle the pressure. Again, replace the negative thoughts with positive ones - "Won't it be great to see my kids at the end". When things get tough dig in for them. I can't for the life of me understand why you limit yourself to just that 10k. 10k's are great!! Do more! They bridge the gap between the speed of the shorter stuff and the endurance of the longer stuff. If you want to get good at marathons get good at 10k...but i'm biased coz I just love the distance.

Bad pacing perhaps - did i run the first 4km too fast? They were faster than they needed to be even for sub 49.
    You took off very quick and that will knock some of the stuffing out of you. What works for me at the start is I usually take off quick but my eyes focus on the ground about ten feet ahead of me and i start focusing on my steps, ignoring all around me. I do that for about ten seconds and that gets me into the feel of where I want to be. Your second km was very quick too. It's common to go out too quick and then suffer later.

To finish on some more positives;

Your HR says it all about the effort you put in so don't question your effort. Well done.

If your splits are dropping off as the race goes on then its probably worth working on some speed endurance. I went to Luke with the same issue and told him I was flagging after 6km in my races. Spent a few weeks working on strength building and then a lot of sessions in or around my race pace at the time.

Finally, despite my overanalysis I would say try not to analyse too much. You never race that distance. I would say after you're done with DCM this year maybe go after some 5k and 10k training. It will help your marathon training going forward.

Huge congrats again Ariana. That was brilliant and you are getting so good and handling the tough stuff.

Brilliant post too Swashbuckler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on pb - I’m insanely jealous !

Great report - reminded me why I hate tenks ! They are so hard !

Great response from swashbuckler , a lot there to take on board - I will anyway !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great post Swashbuckler

Well done again Ariana :)

eyrie wrote: »
    I think, while they're anything but enjoyable at the time, those kinds of races are really important actually. To have to really struggle but come through it - surely that's what builds the experience and resilience for the next one. All that and you STILL got the sub 50!

Anyway enough rambling from me - HUGE congrats on the PB!

Thank you and yes i agree, i've been on a bit of a roll recently, it did me good to realise i'm not invincible!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hungover running seems to be the theme for yesterday.

Congrats on the PB!

It's good to analyse, but don't be too hard on yourself, either.

Thanks! And yes it seems a few of us let loose on Saturday - no harm eh :D
    Seeing as 10k is my favourite distance I have to get involved here. haha.

First thing first - knocking 4 minutes off a course pb over a year is no mean feat. You definitely need to acknowledge that. That's huge.

You do tend to be a bit harsh on yourself at times. The internal dialogue you had during that race was mostly beating yourself up. 10k's are tough. To run anywhere near a pb takes a lot of effort. It shouldn't feel easy. You should feel like quitting especially as the race goes on. It means you're running close to your max (I say close because rarely do we ever run at max even if we think we are). For future races try to replace the negative internal dialogue with positive reinforcements. "I'm doing great". "I'm strong". "I'll catch that person ahead". Even when the race isn't going your way try to replace the negative thoughts with something positive.

Try to ignore the watch in the later stages. It won't give you good news. If you see a slow pace you'll beat yourself up. If you see a fast pace you'll use that gain as an excuse to ease back when it gets really tough again.

On your other questions;

I think only you can judge how easy your easy is and if its easy enough. What I will say is generally your easy runs look ok to me but you know best.

Too many races recently?
    How many have you ran recently?

Do i need more practice at 10k - one a year probably isn’t enough to perfect race tactics
    Tactics aside, to get good at any distance you need to run it often, especially 5k and 10k.

Pressure is self inflicted so its how you handle the pressure. Again, replace the negative thoughts with positive ones - "Won't it be great to see my kids at the end". When things get tough dig in for them. I can't for the life of me understand why you limit yourself to just that 10k. 10k's are great!! Do more! They bridge the gap between the speed of the shorter stuff and the endurance of the longer stuff. If you want to get good at marathons get good at 10k...but i'm biased coz I just love the distance.

You took off very quick and that will knock some of the stuffing out of you. What works for me at the start is I usually take off quick but my eyes focus on the ground about ten feet ahead of me and i start focusing on my steps, ignoring all around me. I do that for about ten seconds and that gets me into the feel of where I want to be. Your second km was very quick too. It's common to go out too quick and then suffer later.

To finish on some more positives;

Your HR says it all about the effort you put in so don't question your effort. Well done.

If your splits are dropping off as the race goes on then its probably worth working on some speed endurance. I went to Luke with the same issue and told him I was flagging after 6km in my races. Spent a few weeks working on strength building and then a lot of sessions in or around my race pace at the time.

Finally, despite my overanalysis I would say try not to analyse too much. You never race that distance. I would say after you're done with DCM this year maybe go after some 5k and 10k training. It will help your marathon training going forward.

Thanks P. Some great points and advice, i appreciate you taking the time. In answer to the question re. races - in t3.5 weeks i raced 2 x 5k, a HM and that 10k. I don't purposely not to 10ks, they just don't seem to pop up to suit me too often (or ever it seems) but i'd really like to get more in after DCM as you suggest and i'd love to properly follow some 5-10k training and see what can happen :) And i'll also practice your techniques for being more positive. It's funny that you made the point, my 8 yo is very hard on himself in a similar fashion and it really upsets me to hear him beating himself up and i never made the connection that i do it too :o
    Huge congrats again Ariana. That was brilliant and you are getting so good and handling the tough stuff.

Brilliant post too Swashbuckler.
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done on pb - I’m insanely jealous !

Great report - reminded me why I hate tenks ! They are so hard !

Great response from swashbuckler , a lot there to take on board - I will anyway !!!
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Great post Swashbuckler

Well done again Ariana :)

Thanks everyone :)

ariana` wrote:
    Thanks P. Some great points and advice, i appreciate you taking the time. In answer to the question re. races - in t3.5 weeks i raced 2 x 5k, a HM and that 10k. I don't purposely not to 10ks, they just don't seem to pop up to suit me too often (or ever it seems) but i'd really like to get more in after DCM as you suggest and i'd love to properly follow some 5-10k training and see what can happen And i'll also practice your techniques for being more positive. It's funny that you made the point, my 8 yo is very hard on himself in a similar fashion and it really upsets me to hear him beating himself up and i never made the connection that i do it too

No problem. Happy to pass on my learnings. Haha.

If I ran a 10k pb and knocked fours mins off my course record after running two 5ks and a half marathon in 3.5 weeks I'd be insanely happy with myself! That's genuinely a lot of racing to be honest. In particular the inclusion of the half marathon. They take a lot out of the legs and recovery is slower.

Anyway I've plagued you with enough advice for one day. Well done again.

No problem. Happy to pass on my learnings. Haha.

If I ran a 10k pb and knocked fours mins off my course record after running two 5ks and a half marathon in 3.5 weeks I'd be insanely happy with myself! That's genuinely a lot of racing to be honest. In particular the inclusion of the half marathon. They take a lot out of the legs and recovery is slower.

Anyway I've plagued you with enough advice for one day. Well done again.

I can never get enough advice lol :pac:

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

And I think back to when you 'thought' you were running hard during marathon training but were still able to have the bants with the girls :)

That's real effort in your report - super job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to read your recent progress. Well done. :cool:

Monday, June 18th
    Comments: Nothing! Woke up with a scratchy throat, it was 9pm before I got a chance to run and by then I was feeling shivery and just generally miserable so decided to give this a miss.

Tuesday, June 19th
    Comments: Another day off. It's a while since I had 2 days in a row off but feeling sh*t and the weather was equally sh*t so took it off. Back at it tomorrow!

Wed, June 20th
    75 mins easy
    Total: 11.5km (1:15:15) (roughly 7 miles)
    Avg Pace: 6:32 min/km (roughly 10:30 min/mi)
    Splits: 7:01, 6:31, 6:23, 6:19, 6:38, 6:24, 6:18, 6:54, 6:34, 6:32, 6:27, 6:21 (.51)
    Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Comments: I had company for about 7km so an enjoyable run, a chilly evening starting off but warmed up of course.

Thurs, June 21st
    60 mins easy - changed to miles from today, not sure why really but going to try it for a while!
    Total: 6mi (1:02:18)
    Avg Pace: 10:20 min/mile
    Splits: 10:31, 10:18, 10:18, 10:16, 10:16, 10:24
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: On my own, lovely evening, longest day of the year and a beautiful day. Passed a field where the grass was just cut for silage, the smell brought me back in time quite a number of years. What a privilege it is to be able to run and experience moments like those.

Fri, June 22nd
    60 mins easy (ended up being limited to 55 mins)
    Total: 5.25 mi (56:28)
    Avg Pace: 10:45 min/mi
    Splits: 10:49, 10:50, 11:07, 10:30, 10:31, 10:32 (.25)
    Avg HR: 140 bpm
    Comments: Lovely run, cut short to pick up my son from football training, fabulous evening.

Sat, June 23rd
    2hr LSR (cut short)
    Total: 10.62 mi(1:51:37)
    Avg Pace: 10:31 min/mi
    Splits: 11:01, 10:55, 11:36, 10:51, 10:15, 10:07, 10:15, 10:23, 9:46, 10:07, 10:10 (.62)
    Avg HR: 149
    Comments: Got a stitch at 7.5mi that plagued me for the rest, in the end i turned a bit sooner than i planned too and cut the run short. Bit annoyed with myself afterwards and feeling a bit nervous of the long runs now, pace was all over the place for this too which can’t have helped. Took my yoga mat outside later in the day for a few sun salutations and some core/glute work, been neglecting this stuff for a while now, it was lovely to do it outside in the sunshine :cool:

Sun, June 24th
    20 mins very easy
    Total: 2.26 mi (27:52)
    Avg Pace: 12:20 min/mi
    Splits: 12:26, 12:11. 12:43 (.26)
    Avg HR: 132 bpm
    Comments: Bit stiff today. Mostly off road for this, very warm even at 8 am, feeling a bit sorry for the Irish 5 milers :eek:

Comments: 50km/31m - first week without a race in a while, easy miles was all i felt up for this week, enjoyed most of them, shame about the lsr :(

Don't worry too much about one LSR...... And welcome to the miles club! This will save me a lot of trouble translating your paces in my brain. Haha

• Advertisement

Took me a while to get used to miles but I found it easier as I watched my paces. When I first changed after DCM I was running by feel and it didn’t mean much to me looking at my paces afterwards.

Your body probably needs a break. I think a bit of time easy running and then your holiday and then into DCM training. Dare I ask have you decided on a plan?

Advertisement