Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Now could you head over to the talent vs hard work thread and give your tuppence seeing as you got me into all this trouble. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Now could you head over to the talent vs hard work thread and give your tuppence seeing as you got me into all this trouble. Haha
    Hey why i am getting the blame, i said nothin' or very little at least ;)

And in my defense i am still catching up on all the events while i was mia :p

Monday, July 16th
    Holiday running part 3
    Total: 2.8 mi (26:22)
    Avg Pace: 9:22 min/mi
    Splits: 9:38, 9:40, 8:38 (.8)
    Avg HR: N/A
    Comments: A short window of opportunity to sneak in my last holiday run so went for a quick one, first run in a long time where i went out the door with no plan other than to not be gone too long as it was our last full day on holiday! It turned into a sweat fest i can tell ya as it was mid afternoon but I thoroughly enjoyed the little blow out. Watch battery was practically dead so just used Strava for this so no HR data which is probably a good thing!

Tuesday, July 17th
    REST Day spent travelling home

Wednesday, July 18th
    75 mins easy
    Total: 7.6 mi (1:16:12)
    Avg Pace: 9:59 min/mi
    Splits: 10:13, 10:05, 9:48, 10:01, 9:42, 10:11, 9:57, 6:11 (.64)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: Lovely run back home with the gang. Slightly faster than easy but it felt easy after all the rest days while i was away, i was chatting effortlessly all the way anyhow.

Thurs, July 19th
    Nothing again

Friday, July 20th
    4m @ 4hr pace plus w/u & c/d
    Total: 6.45m (1:01:03)
    Avg Pace: 9:28 min/mi
    Splits: 10:27, 9:13, 8:56, 9:03, 9:05, 9:42, 10:06 (.45)
    Avg HR: 146 bpm
    Comments: Last week of winging it so i plucked this from the Boards plan, i wanted to try out doing a session the evening before my long run and i wanted to test run 4hr marathon pace - it was fine for 4m anyhow, no idea what 26 miles of it would be like though!

Sat, July 21st
    2 hrs/12 miles
    Total: 12.33m (2:05:23)
    Avg Pace: 10:10 min/mi
    Splits: 10:24, 10:20, 9:58, 10:08, 9:55, 10:35, 11:01, 10:09, 10:06, 9:52, 9:48, 9:54, 9:45 (.33)
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: Nothing really to report here, felt fine for this, albeit a little bored near the end. The couple of slower miles in the middle included a toilet stop, a technology malfunction and .75m running on loose gravel.

Sunday, July 22nd
    Recovery
    Total: 5m (55:06)
    Avg Pace: 11:00 min/mi
    Splits: 11:00, 10:28, 11:14, 11:09, 11:06
    Avg HR: 130 bpm
    Comments: I was late getting out as we had a family day out during the day, i somehow managed to lather the kids in sun cream but forgot myself so i was scalded and this run didn't help, i felt sticky and sweaty from the off and was dying for a cold shower afterwards to cool me down but otherwise it was fine - very easy pace.

Comments: 34 miles. My first full week of training with no races this month, good to be back in training mode. Inspiring to read all the positive results from the race series 10k yesterday - so impressed with AoifeQ's & Lazare's PBs, Baby75 is making a great come back and the novice group did really well as a whole too, great performances all around. It wasn't everyone's day unfortunately but I've no doubt there will be better days for those. DCM training starts for me today officially, i wish i could say i'm feeling 100% committed and motivated but I'm not, it's like an injury niggling at me this stage, all the doubts. Two big questions i need to ask and answer over the coming days - why i'm doing it and what i could be doing instead :confused:

FOMO?
    Because everyone else is?
    Because you secretly love the marathon and have unfinished business from last year?

As for the second question you know what I'll say. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

FOMO?
    Because you secretly love the marathon and have unfinished business from last year?

I’d say it’s FOMO and that knee injury last year didn’t allow you get the result you deserved. You might enjoy the training when you get into it. Are you nervous of the long runs boring you?

• Advertisement

FOMO?

Ya i have the reasons for down to 4 - FOMO, Pride, the €80 entry fee and unfinished business. The thing is the only half-decent reason out of those is the unfinished business but i'm not convinced i will finish the business this year either. And that is quite possible the crux of what is troubling me. Last year i followed a novice plan and i got injured, i'm a little stronger this year but am i significantly further on to follow a tougher plan and avoid injury.

The funny thing is some of what keep saying must be sinking in because a couple of weeks back a list of upcoming local fixtures popped up on my FB feed which included 2 10k races 4 weeks apart. I've never done either of them before, i know nothing about the routes and the dates are totally incompatible with marathon training but i found myself saving the dates all the same and they keep popping into my head in a teasing kind of way if such a word can ever be applied to road racing :pac:

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’d say it’s FOMO and that knee injury last year didn’t allow you get the result you deserved. You might enjoy the training when you get into it. Are you nervous of the long runs boring you?

Funnily enough i have more support this year. My friend who last year was only running 5-10k has done a couple of 10m and a HM this year and on Saturday she was texting me about my long run and she said she'd like to come with me next week so that's a huge boost. Also i tied in park run a few weeks ago and that worked well. I couldn't do it this week because i needed to be finished earlier but i'd definitely do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds like you've a bit on your mind ariana, but plenty of time to think about it all! And this probably isn't very helpful but there is also no wrong choice, the only point of any of this (running, racing, etc) business is for you to do what you enjoy.

eyrie wrote: »
    Sounds like you've a bit on your mind ariana, but plenty of time to think about it all! And this probably isn't very helpful but there is also no wrong choice, the only point of any of this (running, racing, etc) business is for you to do what you enjoy.

A lot on my mind or just too much dithering :eek: I seem to have turned into a chronic ditherer this year eyrie! Honestly i wasn't like this last year. You are of course, quite right, there is no wrong choice, it's all running which i love and racing which i also love (once the finish line is in sight anyhow :pac: )! I think my log updates should come with a warning at this stage :o I'll stick to reporting on the actual running now i promise and keep my random musings to myself until such a time as i make a decision worthy of an announcement or until the dust has settled on DCM :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    A lot on my mind or just too much dithering :eek: I seem to have turned into a chronic ditherer this year eyrie! Honestly i wasn't like this last year. You are of course, quite right, there is no wrong choice, it's all running which i love and racing which i also love (once the finish line is in sight anyhow :pac: )! I think my log updates should come with a warning at this stage :o I'll stick to reporting on the actual running now i promise and keep my random musings to myself until such a time as i make a decision worthy of an announcement or until the dust has settled on DCM :cool:

It’s your log to dither and muse as much as you like :D

• Advertisement

I'll stick to reporting on the actual running now i promise and keep my random musings to myself until such a time as i make a decision worthy of an announcement or until the dust has settled on DCM :cool:
    Oh god no don't do that! Recording the thought process is as important (actually more, I reckon) as the the running and numbers. And I could dither for Ireland, the amount of flip-flopping I've done over which tune up races to go far is ridiculous. As if it actually mattered at all! :o So you're not the only one :pac:

It’s your log to dither and muse as much as you like :D

You might regret saying that :pac:
    Oh god no don't do that! Recording the thought process is as important (actually more, I reckon) as the the running and numbers. And I could dither for Ireland, the amount of flip-flopping I've done over which tune up races to go far is ridiculous. As if it actually mattered at all! :o So you're not the only one :pac:

This would all be find if the thought process didn't drag on for months :o But we will all get there in the end one way or the other decisions will be made and for the most part will rarely be regretted and where they are regretted they will be learned from so what harm right!

So dare i ask if you have decided on any tune up races?

ariana` wrote:
    The funny thing is some of what keep saying must be sinking in because a couple of weeks back a list of upcoming local fixtures popped up on my FB feed which included 2 10k races 4 weeks apart. I've never done either of them before, i know nothing about the routes and the dates are totally incompatible with marathon training but i found myself saving the dates all the same and they keep popping into my head in a teasing kind of way if such a word can ever be applied to road racing

This is music to my ears. I really think some shorter stuff would bring you on a lot.
    ariana` wrote:
    A lot on my mind or just too much dithering I seem to have turned into a chronic ditherer this year eyrie! Honestly i wasn't like this last year. You are of course, quite right, there is no wrong choice, it's all running which i love and racing which i also love (once the finish line is in sight anyhow )! I think my log updates should come with a warning at this stage I'll stick to reporting on the actual running now i promise and keep my random musings to myself until such a time as i make a decision worthy of an announcement or until the dust has settled on DCM

The musings are what makes the logs interesting. There's only so many ways we can tell each other about an easy 6 miler. Keep musing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The musings are what makes the logs interesting. There's only so many ways we can tell each other about an easy 6 miler. Keep musing!

This might be the kick up the Aras in need to get back to logging. DCM blues have also overtaken me! The mentors curse must be changing from a physical to a mental curse! :pac:

skyblue46 wrote:
    This might be the kick up the Aras in need to get back to logging. DCM blues have also overtaken me! The mentors curse must be changing from a physical to a mental curse!

DCM blues in terms of feeling a bit meh about the whole thing?

DCM blues in terms of feeling a bit meh about the whole thing?

Yeah...I'm looking at the enthusiasm of the novices, of some of last year's group too who are back in training and I'm just not feeling it. I was more enthused by the Dunshaughlin 10k, can't wait for the 10 from 10 and find myself sneaking envious glances into the race calendar. Haha

skyblue46 wrote:
    Yeah...I'm looking at the enthusiasm of the novices, of some of last year's group too who are back in training and I'm just not feeling it. I was more enthused by the Dunshaughlin 10k, can't wait for the 10 from 10 and find myself sneaking envious glances into the race calendar. Haha

Life's too short (even though it's the longest thing we'll do. Haha). Do what excites you. There's a reason I haven't run a marathon!

skyblue46 wrote: »

Would you not include those races in your training so and tweak your training to include them?

Would you not include those races in your training so and tweak your training to include them?

Ah there are two included and I might squeeze another in.... it's just that I think that I still won't be buzzing about DCM and will want to race again. :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah there are two included and I might squeeze another in.... it's just that I think that I still won't be buzzing about DCM and will want to race again. :pac:

Hopefully will be worth it on the day and sure if you decide not to do it you have plenty people to support on the day too!!

• Advertisement

Monday, July 23rd
    Plan had 60 mins easy but everything conspired against me and i’d no chance to get out - not a great start to the first day of the plan :eek:

Tuesday, July 24th
    10x2min @ CV (7:42-7:52) off 2 min rec
    Total: 7m (1:07:01)
    Avg Pace: 9:34 min/mi
    Intervals: 7:46, 7:32, 7:43, 7:46, 8:08, 7:47, 7:43, 7:48, 7:58, 7:51
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Thoroughly enjoyed this. I got a bit frustrated looking at the watch for the first couple so i just concentrated on trying to keep to 5k effort for the rest and was delighted to see they were nearly all spot on. A fellow grad pointed out that the one anomaly (8:08) was uphill and effort was still in range if you look at the split under Strava’s GAP analysis so that’s a good sign that i was judging the right effort level by feel.

Wednesday, July 25th
    70 mins easy
    Total: 6.7 mi (1:10:43)
    Avg Pace: 10:33 min/mi
    Splits: 10:41, 10:26, 10:31, 10:26, 10:32, 10:37, 10:37 (.7)
    Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Comments: On my own for this and thoroughly enjoyed it but nothing notable.

Thurs, July 26th
    Plan had REST but i did Monday’s 60 mins easy
    Total: 6.4 mi (1:05:13)
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/mi
    Splits: 10:11, 10:15, 10:28, 10:17, 10:11, 10:04, 9:56 (.4)
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: On my own again, not as enjoyable as Wed. After a very wet day it seemed like every man and his dog (or toddler) were out for a walk, i found it hard to settle into the pace as i kept meeting people and it was a bit on the faster side.

Friday, July 27th
    60 mins very easy
    Total: 5.6m (58:15)
    Avg Pace: 10:22 min/mi
    Splits: 10:58, 10:24, 10:30, 10:19, 9:45, 10:16 (.6)
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: 4th night in a row running on my own and 3rd consecutive night doing an easy run so decided to put on some music for this to break up the monotony, I think “Fight Song” came on during the 5th mile, oooops :D

Sat, July 28th
    14 miles (11 Easy, 3@ 4hr pace)
    Total: 14m (2:19:00)
    Avg Pace: 9:55 min/m
    Splits: 10:24, 9:41, 9:59, 9:55, 10:12, 10:20, 9:58, 10:04, 10:03, 10:19, 10:34, 9:21, 9:07, 9:00
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: The plan said 2hrs easy, i won’t deny i’ve been a bit anxious about the lack of miles on the long run at my paces so with some advice from a fellow grad I set a target of 14m for this, 11m @ easy pace and 3 a bit faster in Parkrun should bring it in around 2:20. And things pretty much went to plan! Joining with Parkrun isn’t the easiest, there was 4-5 minutes of running up and down a straight stretch waiting to start and i did eventually stop the watch for probably 1-2 minutes as well so i suppose this isn’t ideal but i do love how it breaks up the run for me, joining parkrun also means i use different roads to my usual local roads and that means elevation more akin to DCM as my local roads are pretty flat. I was tiring near the end for sure but well chuffed to get this done as it’s my longest run this year.

Sunday, July 29th
    The plan had Recovery or Rest. My quads were a little bit heavy (noticeable going down the stairs) after the long run and a recovery run would have stood me well I’d say but i had a busy day with a family occasion and it was 9pm before a chance presented itself and by then i was really just feeling wrecked. I woke up with a sore throat on Saturday morning too and that was/is still bothering me so i opted for rest :o

Comments: 39.7m and week 1 of DCM training done! Any fears i had about the grads plan not being tough enough have been well truly put to bed. This was my highest mileage week this year. Cumulative fatigue will definitely be a factor in training as the weeks progress (i think the heavy quads on Sunday are already a sign of that). Feeling quite content now that with a few very minor tweaks some weeks (like adding 20 minutes to the this week’s long run) i will be training to the right level for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great first week!! Leading by example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Monday, July 23rd

Comments: The plan said 2hrs easy, i won’t deny i’ve been a bit anxious about the lack of miles on the long run at my paces so with some advice from a fellow grad I set a target of 14m for this, 11m @ easy pace and 3 a bit faster in Parkrun should bring it in around 2:20. And things pretty much went to plan! Joining with Parkrun isn’t the easiest, there was 4-5 minutes of running up and down a straight stretch waiting to start and i did eventually stop the watch for probably 1-2 minutes as well so i suppose this isn’t ideal but i do love how it breaks up the run for me, joining parkrun also means i use different roads to my usual local roads and that means elevation more akin to DCM as my local roads are pretty flat. I was tiring near the end for sure but well chuffed to get this done as it’s my longest run this year.

Nice. Week one and already: 1. 14 miles; and 2. a faster finish LR in the bag. I used to do the LR to parkrun when I was following Pfitz. Some of the long runs had an LT finish of 5k. I just set them up as two separate runs, so I wasn't worrying about pausing my watch.

Comments: 39.7m and week 1 of DCM training done! Any fears i had about the grads plan not being tough enough have been well truly put to bed. This was my highest mileage week this year. Cumulative fatigue will definitely be a factor in training as the weeks progress (i think the heavy quads on Sunday are already a sign of that). Feeling quite content now that with a few very minor tweaks some weeks (like adding 20 minutes to the this week’s long run) i will be training to the right level for me.

Great. Confidence is half the battle. Good luck with the training. Looking forward to following.

Great first week and delighted you are feeling more confident about the plan. You’ll do great.

Super first week ariana! I feel like I'm a few weeks in because I was doing the base plan first and between the two I have to say I feel far better and stronger in my running than I have in a long time, I think it's a great plan and will hopefully stand to us!

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great first week!! Leading by example

About time :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Nice. Week one and already: 1. 14 miles; and 2. a faster finish LR in the bag. I used to do the LR to parkrun when I was following Pfitz. Some of the long runs had an LT finish of 5k. I just set them up as two separate runs, so I wasn't worrying about pausing my watch.

Great. Confidence is half the battle. Good luck with the training. Looking forward to following.

So true. I'm feeling a lot more confident in my choice now thankfully and more committed to the goal as a result too :)
    Great first week and delighted you are feeling more confident about the plan. You’ll do great.

Super first week ariana! I feel like I'm a few weeks in because I was doing the base plan first and between the two I have to say I feel far better and stronger in my running than I have in a long time, I think it's a great plan and will hopefully stand to us!

Yes agree i think it's a great plan certainly for where i am now, it's too easy to look at a plan and think it's a great plan but it has to be appropriate to your current fitness & mileage - if i do another marathon there are other more aggressive plans that for sure I wouldn't mind giving a lash but not for me for this year anyhow and that's cool :)

Yes agree i think it's a great plan certainly for where i am now, it's too easy to look at a plan and think it's a great plan but it has to be appropriate to your current fitness & mileage - if i do another marathon there are other more aggressive plans that for sure I wouldn't mind giving a lash but not for me for this year anyhow and that's cool :)

This! There was never the need to be feeling apologetic or disappointed to be doing the grads plan. It's a natural progression from the novices plan. A few months training since a first marathon to me doesn't justify the risks of going to an 'aggressive' (whatever that actually means :pac:) or advanced plan. Your progress will be linear and sustainable and you are learning the skills of training and racing as you go. :) I'm thrilled that you have confidence in what you can do with it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Whoop! Welcome to the grads plan. ;) Fatigue away. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

great stuff Ariana :) cracking first week on plan

• Advertisement

Monday, July 30th
    Plan: 60 mins easy
    Total: 6.2m (1:02:52)
    Avg Pace: 10:10 min/mi
    Splits: 10:23, 9:56, 10:28, 10:08, 10:05, 10:06
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: Not much to say about these 60 min easy runs, it was a bit cooler than recent runs, chilly even, on my own for this, nothing new there!

Tuesday, July 31st
    3x1m @ threshold pace off 3 min rec
    Total: 8.1 m (1:15:35)
    Avg Pace: 9:18 min/mi
    Interval Splits: 7:55, 7:54, 7:53 (target range 8:02-8:14)
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Comments: Having done threshold intervals before I had no fear heading into this but maybe i should have! I was more concerned with where to do them as i knew i was going to be stuck in unknown territory for 2hrs getting the car serviced and i wanted to get it done then instead of sitting around a waiting room! Thankfully the racecourse was suggested to me, as it turned out it was exactly 2m from the garage so perfect distance for w/u & c/d and the track was perfect for the intervals. I was hit with the breeze on the 1st rep and thought cr*p, these are going to be tougher than i anticipated, at the same time i remembered my pace when i last did threshold reps was a lot slower! Anyhow as per usual with me the watch was hard to follow especially with the breeze - at times i was being blown along and at times every stride was a battle against the wind. All 3 reps would have been affected in some way with the wind so i just went with effort for these and was delighted to see they were pretty consistent (and all a little bit on the faster side).

Wednesday, Aug 1st
    60 mins easy on the plan but swapped it out for Thursday’s rest day as i’d no chance to run between work, kids and a month’s mind mass.

Thurs, Aug 2nd
    60 mins easy
    Total: 7.25m (1:14:07)
    Avg Pace: 10:13min/mi
    Splits: 10:15, 10:12, 9:59, 10:14, 9:53, 10:49, 10:07, 10:38 (.25)
    Avg HR: 144 bpm

Friday, Aug 3rd
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.4m (56:02)
    Avg Pace: 10:23 min/mi
    Splits: 10:46, 10:20, 10:12, 10:26, 10:14, 10:16 (.4)
    Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Comments: A hot evening, i was a few minutes late starting and i was tied to the hour as i was doing it during my son’s football training so cut it a few minutes short but that’s going to happen occasionally when you’re juggling life with 3 kids.

Sat, Aug 4th
    70 min Progression run
    Total: 14.6m (2:25:48)
    Splits:
    3m w/u: 11:26, 10:37, 10:48
    30 min (@ 9:58-10:18): 10:04, 10:00, 10:04
    20 min (@9:23-9:40): 9:23, 9:28, 9:16 (.17)
    20 min (@8:53-9:07): 9:02, 9:03, 9:24 (.2)
    1.2 m C/D + Parkrun (9:56, 10:25, 9:05)
    Avg HR: 156 bpm
    Comments: I was badly organised for this run, i had a bottle of water with electrolyte salt tab left in the fridge but i forgot to bring it with me. And i didn’t think to eat in the morning either, i generally do my long run fasted but i should have thought when there was faster paces in it that some food would be good! I stopped to use the facilities and buy a bottle of water at the end of the warm up but by the end of the run i really felt i could have done with something more - either the electrolyte drink or fuel or even both. I got really really woozy after parkrun, felt woefully unwell for a while, i genuinely thought i was going to either faint or puke or both but thankfully i did neither, it wouldn’t be so bad but i’d a 10m drive home! Anyhow got myself home, I couldn’t face food initially but i had 2 big glasses of chocolate milk, a shower and then slowly sipped my electrolyte drink and by the time lunchtime came i was feeling human again and able to eat with just a mild headache for the rest of the day - not helped by spending the day toilet training an unwilling participant :rolleyes:

Aside from that I’m really really delighted with how this went. I fairly hit the target paces on the nose bar the odd little blip. I did find the last gear change tough but i managed it, the pace slipped near the end because i was back near the start of park run and i was meeting people parking etc and saying hello… Obviously using park run for a cool down wasn’t very successful and probably not something i’ll try again, i came to the 4km marker and there was a scattering of 5-6 runners ahead of me and sure i couldn’t help myself to pick up a small bit and go by them! It was clear after them though so i did slow again for the last couple of hundred meters as i had no more targets. In hindsight this was pretty stupid, I had nothing to gain from passing people who were running their hardest when I was on a cool down - it was just a bit arrogant and stupid really and I felt crappie about myself when one of them came up to say well done to me afterwards :o

But overall great to get this done, my 1st progression run and my longest training run this year, still a bit behind the novices mind you, ooops I hope they don’t sack me :D

Sunday, Aug 5th
    20 min recovery run
    Total: 3.5m (38:15)
    Avg Pace: 10:54 min/mi
    Splits: 11:04, 10:53, 10:44, 10:51 (.5)
    Avg HR: 140 bpm
    Comments: Felt good here, had to make a conscious effort to keep the pace very very easy.

Comments: 45m. Big thing from this week is nutrition - fueling for long runs/sessions but also in general, I've lost a few lbs recently which in itself is no bad thing, I'm hardly skin and bone, but it's how I've lost it by skipping dinner and the likes, need to get more organised again, struggling with lack of routine and timing meals around runs etc. I was in the same situation 18 months ago and I ended up depleting my iron reserves so I don't want a repeat of that. So that's something that needs a bit of work. So onto week 3 already :)

Advertisement