Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

A good weeks running too and need to work on nutrition myself as well.

Don’t envy the toilet training. I’m starting for the 2nd time round with my unwilling participant tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Another great week put down. Really enjoying your log updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    A good weeks running too and need to work on nutrition myself as well.

Don’t envy the toilet training. I’m starting for the 2nd time round with my unwilling participant tomorrow.

Oh stop, it must be the least glamorous parenting job (after giving birth i suppose). It's our 2nd attempt too, tried earlier on in the Summer but no joy then, slow this time too but i'm determined to stick with it. Best of luck ;)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Another great week put down. Really enjoying your log updates.

Thanks Huzzah and ditto :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh stop, it must be the least glamorous parenting job (after giving birth i suppose). It's our 2nd attempt too, tried earlier on in the Summer but no joy then, slow this time too but i'm determined to stick with it. Best of luck

The longer the runs the better this week to give ourselves a break. No success here yet this morning - just plenty cleaning :rolleyes:

The longer the runs the better this week to give ourselves a break. No success here yet this morning - just plenty cleaning :rolleyes:

Oh god i know, it's awful. I started on Friday afternoon and by Sunday night i was one click away from putting the child up on Ebay! Thankfully Monday we turned a bit of a corner so hang in there! And yes, the longer the runs the better :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great going ariana - you really seem to have gone up a gear! How are you feeling, any increase in tiredness or are you feeling good with it? Definitely make sure you're well fed to support it anyway! I need to get my head around race/training nutrition myself. Distances are still short enough at the moment that I haven't had to think about it but I should probably start!

eyrie wrote: »
    Great going ariana - you really seem to have gone up a gear! How are you feeling, any increase in tiredness or are you feeling good with it? Definitely make sure you're well fed to support it anyway! I need to get my head around race/training nutrition myself. Distances are still short enough at the moment that I haven't had to think about it but I should probably start!

Thanks eyrie. I'm feeling pretty good i must say, i'm enjoying the plan - maybe there's a bit of tiredness/fatigue there but not any more than I'd expect in a marathon cycle and not any more than i was feeling from May-July when i was racing a lot! I'm enjoying most of my runs and they're not feeling like a slog (yet!) so i take that as a good sign. In hindsight i couldn't have planned my holidays better as i got a decent mental and physical break before starting into this cycle.

This week was a jump in mileage which i didn't realise until the end of the week but i will be mindful to keep it at that or thereabouts for a few weeks as i don't want to risk injury and a repeat of last year.

Monday, Aug 6th
    Rest

Tuesday, Aug 7th
    Plan: 60 mins easy
    Total: 6.3 (1:03:14) easy pace
    Avg Pace: 10:04 min/mi
    Splits: 10:16, 10:10, 10:01, 9:59, 9:45, 10:16, 9:57 (.3)
    Avg HR: 150 bpm

Wednesday, Aug 8th
    Plan: Session
    Total: 7.5m steady (1:13:57)
    Avg Pace: 9:51 min/km
    Splits: 9:47, 9:49, 9:25, 9:52, 10:00, 10:04, 10:02, 9:55 (.5)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: This was meant to be a session but i forgot to sync my watch so i didn’t have the session and by the time i realised i didn’t have enough time to go home and sort it out and get then get the session done so i went with a steady paced easy-ish run instead. This would have been very enjoyable if i hadn’t spent most of it trying to figure out how i was going to rejig the rest of the week to fit the 3 remaining runs in without doing 3 hard runs back to back. Very annoyed with myself over this. Figured out since how to set up intervals on the watch directly so i’ll know for next time.

Thurs, Aug 9th
    Plan: 8x3mins CV off 2mins rec (target pace: 7:41-7:51)
    Total: 7.7 m (inc 2m w/u & 1m c/d)
    Intervals: 7:56, 7:30, 7:42, 7:40, 7:29, 7:45, 7:47, 7:44
    Avg HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: Briefly thought i made a mess of setting this up, did my 2m w/u and started running fast but realised the watch hadn’t beeped, quickly stopped the activity to realise i wasn’t in the workout, grrrr, so started again but skipped the 2m warm up lol!! Session went well, i love these short intervals - 3 mins of suffering i can handle lol. As usual for CV pace i just tried to zone in on 5k race effort and the splits worked out ok, there was a couple of outliers but those were due to the elevation, the effort was fairly consistent. Fairly wrecked after, sports massage booked for tomorrow, can’t wait, legs overdue a bit of tlc :cool:

Friday, Aug 10th
    Plan: 20mins recovery or rest
    Total: 2.3m (25:38)
    Splits: 11:14, 10:57, 11:18 (.3)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: Physio maintenance session today and it was, wait for it… fairly positive!! Apparently i’m in good shape, shock! Hips a little bit tight but nothing like what he expected and everything else was good even the troublesome ITB. He seemed surprised :pac:. My legs are apparently more toned and feel stronger since last time i was in to him (end of May), only comment he did make was to make sure i’m getting enough carbs and protein particularly after hard runs as i’ve obviously lost a few kg, i’d already been aware of this myself but it was obviously good to hear it from a professional because i went home and cooked a big pasta and fish dinner for myself with enough for 2 days :D So i’m feeling very relieved to be getting a clean bill of health at this stage of marathon training, fingers crossed things continue this way, i'm very wary after last year's experience.

Sat, Aug 11th
    Plan: w/u + 60 mins moderate + c/d (target pace 9:23-9:40)
    Total: 8.92m (1:25)
    Moderate Pace Splits: 9:34, 9:27, 9:10, 9:07, 9:12, 9:22, 9:10 (.44)
    Avg HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: I had been looking forward to this when I saw the plan but by the time it came around I was less enthused, bit disappointed not to be doing my long run as I didn't like it hanging over me until Sunday but in the end I enjoyed this once I got into the pace, the first pace mile was a bit of struggle, i think i was still cold (it was nippy early morning) but still managed to hit the pace range and i was flying after that, thoroughly enjoy it.

Sunday, Aug 12th
    Plan: 2hr 15mins easy
    Total: 14.15m (2:22:44)
    Avg Pace: 10:05 min/m
    Splits: 11:05, 10:17, 10:06, 9:57, 10:25, 10:00, 10:07, 10:02, 9:56, 9:55, 10:04, 9:49, 10:43 (.15)
    Comments: Bit of boredom in the middle but it was grand otherwise despite kind of dreading having a 2nd early start at the weekend. This was my 3rd weekend in a row running a 14 mile long run, the first weekend was fast finish, the second was a progression run so this easy paced run felt very easy after those two - and my quads felt better for it too i can tell you, felt great after this compared to after last week's Progression 14 miler where i had heavy quads for a couple of days!! I'd half a notion of bringing this closer to 15-16m to step it up but this was already a high mileage week for me and while things are going well i don’t want to push my luck.

Comments: 47m and my highest mileage week ever. Feeling pretty good on it but I am starting to feel some general fatigue as i'd expect at this stage, I haven’t examined the plan for the week ahead yet but i'm hoping there'll be a few less miles, i've done 40, 45, 47 now so i think it'd be a good week for a step back in miles but we'll see what the plan brings.

A great week Ariana I’m not surprised with the results from physio. You have been so consistent all year and those 60 min easy paced runs you were doing have really stood to you I think.

Well done. The mileage really does creep up, doesn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done on that week! Lovely words from the physio too, you're obviously doing all the stretching and rolling!

• Advertisement

A great week Ariana I’m not surprised with the results from physio. You have been so consistent all year and those 60 min easy paced runs you were doing have really stood to you I think.

Well done. The mileage really does creep up, doesn’t it?

It sure does. Never thought i'd hit 40 never mind mid-high 40s. But a step back in miles this week from glancing at the plan and my legs won't complain :pac:
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Well done on that week! Lovely words from the physio too, you're obviously doing all the stretching and rolling!

I wouldn't mind but i'm really not, well i mean i'm doing some but i'm not doing nearly as much as a i feel i should :o Thanks, it was a good week alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great week. As K said it's all the easy runs and recovery paced runs that are so important. You are giving the body a chance to repair itself. This in turn leads to fewer niggles and tightnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent week E and glad to hear positive news from the physio

Well done E! Great to get that nod of approval from the physio too. At this rate you're really setting yourself up for a very different marathon experience this year, which would be well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I agree with the above - a super consistent few weeks and consistent year.
    Really shaping up for you!

Now's the time to manage the little things - the right diet for the mileage, hydration, hows the running shoes, hows the motivation? And still keep time for all the Mammy stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

To CV or not to CV, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind, etc, etc.

Good news re the physio and good running too. :cool:

I agree with the above - a super consistent few weeks and consistent year.
    Really shaping up for you!

Now's the time to manage the little things - the right diet for the mileage, hydration, hows the running shoes, hows the motivation? And still keep time for all the Mammy stuff!

Thanks A, good advice, i do need to manage the small stuff. I woke up today with two big cold sores, i've a big fat lip with it, cold sores are not something i typically get. I need to sort the sleep and diet out big time now.

But i did just buy myself 2 shiny new pairs of runners in the last few days which makes me very happy! An upgrade to my current pair of Addidas Supernova's and my first pair of Mizuno's which aside from anything else are very very pink :eek: Dying to break them in now, i'm not really sure what came over me to buy 2 pairs at the time but i had ordered the first pair online on Friday (very reasonable) and then i happened to be outside a running shop on Saturday that i rarely get a chance to go to... so i popped in had a great chat with the guy there about all things running related and sure and well one thing led to another as it does and now i'm just hoping other half doesn't notice 2 new pairs :D

Thanks A, good advice, i do need to manage the small stuff. I woke up today with two big cold sores, i've a big fat lip with it, cold sores are not something i typically get. I need to sort the sleep and diet out big time now.

But i did just buy myself 2 shiny new pairs of runners in the last few days which makes me very happy! An upgrade to my current pair of Addidas Supernova's and my first pair of Mizuno's which aside from anything else are very very pink :eek: Dying to break them in now, i'm not really sure what came over me to buy 2 pairs at the time but i had ordered the first pair online on Friday (very reasonable) and then i happened to be outside a running shop on Saturday that i rarely get a chance to go to... so i popped in had a great chat with the guy there about all things running related and sure and well one thing led to another as it does and now i'm just hoping other half doesn't notice 2 new pairs :D
    Ha, I got 'caught' with a new pair yesterday! I've given up trying to defend it - I just ignore the comments and/or roll my eyes like a teenager now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote: »
    Ha, I got 'caught' with a new pair yesterday! I've given up trying to defend it - I just ignore the comments and/or roll my eyes like a teenager now :p

Have ye not learned anything about us men.....Tell us they're the same pair you always had and get annoyed that we don't pay attention to ye and hey presto, problem solved.....Next thing you know you have a bunch of flowers and a voucher for Elverys as an apology.lol

Have ye not learned anything about us men.....Tell us they're the same pair you always had and get annoyed that we don't pay attention to ye and hey presto, problem solved.....Next thing you know you have a bunch of flowers and a voucher for Elverys as an apology.lol

Oh the little games we play :p

• Advertisement

This felt like the week that just kept on giving for me. I started the week feeling tired by Tuesday i had multiple cold sores (picture Joan Rivers and botched lip botox job), not something i ever get but i took it as a sign i was run down. Sometime on Tuesday afternoon i started feeling a twinge in my back, around my side in the rib cage area on my right hand side. On Tuesday one of my kids also started complaining of pains in his tummy and he wasn’t eating. By Thursday he was vomiting, a second child was complaining of a pain in his tummy and i still had the nagging pain around my back and ribs, on top of this my other half was away overnight midweek as well. With all this going on I stuck to easy runs in the early part of the week and lots of gentle stretching & yoga poses post runs to try to sort out the back/rib pain.

Monday, Aug 13th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 6.4m (1:06:42)
    Avg Pace: 10:25 min/m
    Splits: 10:31, 10:40, 10:25, 10:15, 10:33, 10:07 (.4)
    Comments: Good chats on this run.

Tuesday, Aug 14th
    Husband away, sick/clingy kid and a pain in my back, i had no choice but i was happy enough to rest.

Wednesday, Aug 15th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 7.8m (1:19:37)
    Avg Pace: 10:11 min/m
    Splits: 10:12, 10:43, 10:27, 10:27, 10:10, 9:51, 9:45, 9:44 (.8)
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: Company for this again, got soaked to the skin - Summer well over now...good to get out, still getting twinges in my back but no worse running thankfully.

Thurs, Aug 16th
    20 min @ threshold (8:02-8:14 min/m)
    Actual: 5.5m (50:43)
    Avg Pace: 9:11 min/km
    Threshold pace splits: 8:01, 8:03, 8:00 (.49)
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: Wasn't sure about this, back still not right but decided to warm up and take it from there…. Felt ok after a 2m warm up so just went for it. This is the first session of the grads plan that I've been a bit afraid of but it went ok, i concentrated on trying to feel the effort but at the same time making sure i wasn’t feeling 5k effort!! Delighted with the splits afterward, ever so slightly fast but oh so lovely and consistent!! At one stage i had contemplated doing this as part of a 5k race which was on Tuesday evening, in the end i ruled it out as a cop out (before i realised i had no babysitter anyhow) and i was delighted i did in hindsight, it was a real confidence boost to nail this session doing it by myself.

Friday, Aug 17th
    Resting the still twinging back and hanging out being a good Mammy to the still sick & clingy kids. Contemplated texting physio for an appointment for next week but in the end i never got around to it, really hoped the weekend would sort it out.

Sat, Aug 18th
    Actual: 15.7m (2:35:25)
    Avg Pace: 9:55 min/km
    Splits: 10:46, 10:17, 10:19, 10:18, 9:45, 10:27, 9:55, 10:17, 9:53, 9:48, 10:04, 9:35, 10:17, 8:57, 8:53, 8:41 (.7)
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: Whoop whoop woke up and back seemed a good bit better! There was a 90 min progression run on the plan but with a busy weekend next week i don’t know what i’ll fit in so decided to do a long one this weekend, i deliberated throwing in some PMP miles but after after having a dodgy back all week and just generally feeling naff i decided to go with keeping it easy. In the end i tied in the last 3m with Parkrun so these were a bit faster (Parkrun time 27:55). Felt good after this run. Hubby commented when i got home that i didn't seem as beat as i did last year after the long runs - if i was in a self deprecating mood i’d say it’s because the long runs aren’t long enough but i'll take it that i’m better able for them than I was last year.

Sunday, Aug 19th
    Actual: 5m (52:52)
    Avg Pace: 10:32 min/km
    Splits: 11:18, 10:21, 10:28, 10:21, 10:14
    Avg HR: 139bpm
    Comments: Snook out early for this nice & easy few miles before a disappointing trip to Croker.

Comments: 40m. A decent step back on the previous few weeks, feeling better for the lower volume and intensity. I fluctuate between berating myself for not following the plan to the letter and believing in myself enough to know my limits, know when to skip a run or lower the volume/intensity to let myself recover without copping out… trying hard to do more of the latter and less of the former - it’s a work in progress :cool:

Great to see fantastic results from the 10-from-10 this week - especially delighted for my fellow grads BrownEyes & Skyblue, super running and coincidentally both have been the star pupils of the grads plans since graduation last year so if anyone (myself included) need proof that the plans work it’s right there immortal in the times and splits this pair ran yesterday and even better things to come no doubt. Delighted also for my former mentor wubble wubble who really seems to be hitting the good times lately, it’s great to see when hard work pays off.

Mind that back. Maybe get a physio appointment set up to iron out any issues there?

40 miles is very impressive for a step back week.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Thanks for the mention ariana!
    You’d another good week of running despite all that was going on at home, don’t know how you fit 40miles in!!
    As KG said be careful of your back.. you don’t want it to come back and haunt you later on down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sunday, Aug 19th
    Actual: 5m (52:52)
    Avg Pace: 10:32 min/km
    Splits: 11:18, 10:21, 10:28, 10:21, 10:14
    Avg HR: 139bpm
    Comments: Snook out early for this nice & easy few miles before a disappointing trip to Croker.

Comments: 40m. A decent step back on the previous few weeks, feeling better for the lower volume and intensity. I fluctuate between berating myself for not following the plan to the letter and believing in myself enough to know my limits, know when to skip a run or lower the volume/intensity to let myself recover without copping out… trying hard to do more of the latter and less of the former - it’s a work in progress :cool:

Great to see fantastic results from the 10-from-10 this week - especially delighted for my fellow grads BrownEyes & Skyblue, super running and coincidentally both have been the star pupils of the grads plans since graduation last year so if anyone (myself included) need proof that the plans work it’s right there immortal in the times and splits this pair ran yesterday and even better things to come no doubt. Delighted also for my former mentor wubble wubble who really seems to be hitting the good times lately, it’s great to see when hard work pays off.

Thanks E, you're too kind :) Fair play to the grads, going from strength to strength and continuing to show that most of us have no idea have far we can go in this game! Sorry that Galway lost, we were cheering for them too, but IMO Limerick were the better side.

Mind that back. Maybe get a physio appointment set up to iron out any issues there?

40 miles is very impressive for a step back week.

Thanks K. I actually have it lined up for Friday week, i made it before i left the last appointment - i'm going to go every 3 weeks now until DCM for maintenance.
    Thanks for the mention ariana!
    You’d another good week of running despite all that was going on at home, don’t know how you fit 40miles in!!
    As KG said be careful of your back.. you don’t want it to come back and haunt you later on down the line

I'm surprising myself at how the miles are clocking up to be honest. This might change when the kids go back to school and all the after school activities kick off again, I'll have to get creative! At the moment the evenings are pretty free between 6 & 9pm so i can get out most days.

Thanks E, you're too kind :) Fair play to the grads, going from strength to strength and continuing to show that most of us have no idea have far we can go in this game! Sorry that Galway lost, we were cheering for them too, but IMO Limerick were the better side.

Thanks J. We went away with mixed feelings, gracious in defeat i think for the most part. Limerick were the undisputed better side on the day and we couldn't begrudge it to them, it meant so much to them and we know from first hand experience the lift it will give the city to win it after a long time waiting! That last 10 minutes though talking about keeping a game alive :eek:

You salvaged a lot from what sounds like a tough week there ariana. Hope the back issue was just a weird flash in the pan and you don't feel any more of it.

Monday, Aug 20th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 6.25 miles (1:04:28)
    Avg Pace: 10:20 min/m
    Splits: 10:21, 10:11, 10:15, 10:23, 10:09, 10:39, 10:32 (.25)
    Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Comments: Nothing memorably, standard bread and butter run.

Tuesday, Aug 21st
    40 mins tempo (8:26-8:39)
    Total: 8.1m (1:14:14)
    Avg Pace: 9:09 min/m
    Tempo Splits: 8:35, 8:16, 8:39, 8:31, 8:28 (.7)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Found this tough, just a slog from the start, the evening felt muggy and i just wasn’t feeling the love.

Wednesday, Aug 22nd
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.65m (1:00:20)
    Avg Pace: 10:42 min/m
    Splits: 11:06, 10:25, 10:37, 10:28, 10:48, 10:47 (.65)
    Comments: Felt really sluggish again today, this run felt anything but easy. Another half mile would have seen me hit 1000 miles for the year but i couldn’t drag myself another half mile that’s how bad this was.

Thurs, Aug 23rd
    Rest day - glad of it! But littlest kid ended up vomiting bug going on all evening and through the night, grrrrr :((

Friday, Aug 24th
    60 mins moderate
    Total: 6.4 (57:40)
    Avg Pace: 9:02 min/m
    Splits: 9:10, 8:54, 8:56, 9:02, 8:59, 9:17, 8:57 (.4)
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Wrecked after being up a lot through the night, wasn’t feeling the love starting this run but i got into it and felt the love again very quickly, this was supposed to be moderate pace but i fell into easy tempo pace, ooops but it was a most enjoyable run and a great run to hit the 1000 miles milestone on! Checked some stats after this run and saw lots of nice round-ish numbers for 2018

Runs | 170
    Time | 170hr 5min
    Distance| 1005 miles

Sat, Aug 25th
    2.5 hrs easy
    Total: 16m (2:34)
    Avg Pace: 9:37 min/m
    Splits: 9:37, 9:23, 9:25, 9:25, 9:40, 10:14, 10:09, 9:34, 10:10, 9:35, 9:48, 9:33, 9:19, 9:26, 9:21, 9:11
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: Up most of the night again so i wasn’t sure what to expect here. I had a slice of toast before i set off. Did this with a group, planned pace was 10min/m, obviously that didn’t quite happen but i felt good at the pace. I ended up on my own from 10-16 miles, a slog from 10-13 miles but i was grand again for the last few. I didn’t bother incorporating parkrun this week, was happy just to run it straight through. Also didn’t bother with gels, i had 200mls of water during the run, felt fine but was happy to gulp down some chocolate milk afterwards, it got quite warm in the latter half of this run. Spent the lonely miles thinking about a target for DCM, i’ve been thinking around 4:10 from the beginning of training, doing some mental maths i came to the conclusion that a 26.2 minute PB would give me 4:10:54 so i think i have myself a very well thought out scientific target for DCM LOL :pac:

Sunday, Aug 26th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.1m (53:15)
    Avg Pace: 10:28 min/m
    Splits: 10:45, 10:17, 10:14, 10:25, 10:34
    Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Comments: Quads a small bit heavy today, nice run, enjoyed this to loosen out. Loving the cooler evenings.

Comments: 47.5m. A week of 2 halves, very sluggish running in the early part of the week but finished the week with some lovely runs that restored my confidence, feeling pretty good 5 weeks into DCM training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Monday, Aug 20th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 6.25 miles (1:04:28)
    Avg Pace: 10:20 min/m
    Splits: 10:21, 10:11, 10:15, 10:23, 10:09, 10:39, 10:32 (.25)
    Comments: Nothing memorably, standard bread and butter run.

Tuesday, Aug 21st
    40 mins tempo (8:26-8:39)
    Total: 8.1m (1:14:14)
    Avg Pace: 9:09 min/m
    Tempo Splits: 8:35, 8:16, 8:39, 8:31, 8:28 (.7)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Found this tough, just a slog from the start, the evening felt muggy and i just wasn’t feeling the love.

Wednesday, Aug 22nd
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.65m (1:00:20)
    Avg Pace: 10:42 min/m
    Splits: 11:06, 10:25, 10:37, 10:28, 10:48, 10:47 (.65)
    Comments: Felt really sluggish again today, this run felt anything but easy. Another half mile would have seen me hit 1000 miles for the year but i couldn’t drag myself another half mile that’s how bad this was.

Thurs, Aug 23rd
    Rest day - glad of it! But littlest kid ended up vomiting bug going on all evening and through the night, grrrrr :((

Friday, Aug 24th
    60 mins moderate
    Total: 6.4 (57:40)
    Avg Pace: 9:02 min/m
    Splits: 9:10, 8:54, 8:56, 9:02, 8:59, 9:17, 8:57 (.4)
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Wrecked after being up a lot through the night, wasn’t feeling the love starting this run but i got into it and felt the love again very quickly, this was supposed to be moderate pace but i fell into easy tempo pace, ooops but it was a most enjoyable run and a great run to hit the 1000 miles milestone on! Checked some stats after this run and saw lots of nice round-ish numbers for 2018

Runs | 170
    Time | 170hr 5min
    Distance| 1005 miles

Sat, Aug 25th
    2.5 hrs easy
    Total: 16m (2:34)
    Avg Pace: 9:37 min/m
    Splits: 9:37, 9:23, 9:25, 9:25, 9:40, 10:14, 10:09, 9:34, 10:10, 9:35, 9:48, 9:33, 9:19, 9:26, 9:21, 9:11
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: Up most of the night again so i wasn’t sure what to expect here. I had a slice of toast before i set off. Did this with a group, planned pace was 10min/m, obviously that didn’t quite happen but i felt good at the pace. I ended up on my own from 10-16 miles, a slog from 10-13 miles but i was grand again for the last few. I didn’t bother incorporating parkrun this week, was happy just to run it straight through. Also didn’t bother with gels, i had 200mls of water during the run, felt fine but was happy to gulp down some chocolate milk afterwards, it got quite warm in the latter half of this run. Spent the lonely miles thinking about a target for DCM, i’ve been thinking around 4:10 from the beginning of training, doing some mental maths i came to the conclusion that a 26.2 minute PB would give me 4:10:54 so i think i have myself a very well thought out scientific target for DCM LOL :pac:

Sunday, Aug 26th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.1m (53:15)
    Avg Pace: 10:28 min/m
    Splits: 10:45, 10:17, 10:14, 10:25, 10:34
    Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Comments: Quads a small bit heavy today, nice run, enjoyed this to loosen out. Loving the cooler evenings.

Comments: 47.5m. A week of 2 halves, very sluggish running in the early part of the week but finished the week with some lovely runs that restored my confidence, feeling pretty good 5 weeks into DCM training.

Now where did I leave that sandbags image? ;-/

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Now where did I leave that sandbags image? ;-/

Ah look i have put more thought into it than it may appear. I spent a bit of time recently stalking a fellow grad's DCM 2017 on strava, someone who dipped just under 4hrs. His splits on the day told their own tale. He ran 8 miles at faster than my current HMP, in all he ran 13.1 miles faster than 9 min/m. I'd need to be training with a PMP of 8:40-8:50 min/m i reckon to allow for a conservative first 7 miles and when I factor in my current HMP is 8:49min/m well it just doesn't add up... I'd love to have a crack at sub 4 but i need to be realistic too, i don't want to finish 4:0x in a ball of pain; i'd rather have a super duper day out and finish at 4:10:54 :)

Advertisement