Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a big week E, well done. Congratulations on hitting 1000 miles!
    Thoughts of marathon targets are totally head wrecking - I've been avoiding them completely for the last month or so and plan to continue as long as possible! I would imagine you're well capable of sub 4 but I hear you on wanting to enjoy the day too. I'm increasingly feeling like going into it 'blind', i.e. without a target or too much attention to the watch, and just feel it out. But what do I know, I've never run one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    Thoughts of marathon targets are totally head wrecking - I've been avoiding them completely for the last month or so and plan to continue as long as possible! I would imagine you're well capable of sub 4 but I hear you on wanting to enjoy the day too. I'm increasingly feeling like going into it 'blind', i.e. without a target or too much attention to the watch, and just feel it out. But what do I know, I've never run one :pac:
    Thanks!

For what it's worth I think you can easily run 3:45-3:50 and still enjoy it based on your recent performances but going in blind isn't a bad idea for a first marathon for you, you have a proven track record of tuning into the appropriate effort levels and racing really really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Ah look i have put more thought into it than it may appear. I spent a bit of time recently stalking a fellow grad's DCM 2017 on strava, someone who dipped just under 4hrs. His splits on the day told their own tale. He ran 8 miles at faster than my current HMP, in all he ran 13.1 miles faster than 9 min/m. I'd need to be training with a PMP of 8:40-8:50 min/m i reckon to allow for a conservative first 7 miles and when I factor in my current HMP is 8:49min/m well it just doesn't add up... I'd love to have a crack at sub 4 but i need to be realistic too, i don't want to finish 4:0x in a ball of pain; i'd rather have a super duper day out and finish at 4:10:54 :)

Ah I get you. There is a difference in what may be possible and what you may choose to do. I'm in the same boat. I don't think you give yourself enough credit for the improvement you are making probably due to not getting the chance to see it in races. I have no doubt that if you can do a 16 miler at 9:30 and feel it as easy paced then there is no doubt you could average 9:09 MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I think you are bang on and have the right idea :D and will do very well nothing quite like your first Marathon :)

Ariana your some woman getting all that training in and sick kids it is not easy

I have to agree with you I am delighted to see everyone doing so well :) I am looking forward to the day I can get back at it properly

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't think you give yourself enough credit for the improvement you are making probably due to not getting the chance to see it in races.
    Have to echo this. Ariana you made a comment on my log yesterday saying you thought we had started out from the same place and that I had gotten faster recently. Well our training paces for sessions etc are almost exactly the same lately (yours often quicker in fact) and you seem to have no problem with them at all, so I haven't the slightest doubt that if you were to race again now you'd see the same kind of improvement.

What you decide to target in the marathon is totally up to you and affected by more than just purely what's possible, of course, but do give yourself credit for where you've gotten to now and what you're capable of!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah I get you. There is a difference in what may be possible and what you may choose to do. I'm in the same boat. I don't think you give yourself enough credit for the improvement you are making probably due to not getting the chance to see it in races. I have no doubt that if you can do a 16 miler at 9:30 and feel it as easy paced then there is no doubt you could average 9:09 MP.

Thanks S. I appreciate the vote of confidence in me and it is mostly because of that that i have given it serious consideration.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    I think you are bang on and have the right idea :D and will do very well nothing quite like your first Marathon :)

Ariana your some woman getting all that training in and sick kids it is not easy

I have to agree with you I am delighted to see everyone doing so well :) I am looking forward to the day I can get back at it properly

Thanks N! We're all looking forward to the day you can get back at it properly too :)
    Have to echo this. Ariana you made a comment on my log yesterday saying you thought we had started out from the same place and that I had gotten faster recently. Well our training paces for sessions etc are almost exactly the same lately (yours often quicker in fact) and you seem to have no problem with them at all, so I haven't the slightest doubt that if you were to race again now you'd see the same kind of improvement.

What you decide to target in the marathon is totally up to you and affected by more than just purely what's possible, of course, but do give yourself credit for where you've gotten to now and what you're capable of!

Thanks eyrie, kind words and i hope you're right to some extent anyhow ;)

Monday, Aug 27th
    No opportunity to run today, working all day and hubby away all evening and still have a sick small child in the house so no way could i get a sitter (granny) to come over.

Tuesday, Aug 28th
    3x10 mins @ threshold pace off 4mins recovery (target pace 8:02-8:16)
    Total: 7.6 m (1:06:34)
    Avg Pace: 8:46 min/m
    10 minute Interval Splits:
    1: 7:59, 7:37 (.27)
    2: 7:55, 7:58 (.26)
    3: 8:08, 8:07 (.23)
    Recovery paces: 9:24 min/m, 9:56 min/m (stopped to tie shoe lace), 9:33 min/m
    Avg HR: 170 bpm
    Comments: OMG soaked to the skin on this one, not pleasant. First time i convinced a running buddy to do a session with me, she’s faster than me though and i struggled to slow her down on the first 2 reps. But i found them very manageable despite being faster than my target pace and i was able to jog the recoveries at a decent slightly faster than easy pace. The 3rd one was significantly slower for a few reasons, we had to navigate crossing a really busy main road during rush hour traffic in the pouring rain, a friend stopped in her car and rolled down the window so we slowed a bit to let her know we wouldn’t be stopping for a chat, and we also had a few small bits of chat during this rep - just a few words here and there about how long was left, this one felt really really comfortable - I’m fairly confident the slower pace wasn’t due to over-cooking the first two, i was still feeling good at the end of this and able to jog out the recovery at a good pace as per the previous reps.

Wednesday, Aug 29th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 6.4m (1:04:23)
    Avg Pace: 10:03 min/m
    Splits: 10:12, 9:59, 9:53, 10:14, 9:52, 10:08, 10:09 (.4)
    Avg HR: 148 bpm
    Comments: Enjoyed this run chatting with a friend.

Thurs, Aug 30th
    A busy day followed by birthday cake and a couple of drinks - no run. Amongst other things the hubby got me a fab chunky necklace with 3 pendants on it - a little disc that says “I [heart] to run”, a stick woman running and a shoe with “26.2” carved on it. I love it though i'm not sure the 26.2 is entirely appropriate seeing as i don't see it being a long-term love affair :cool:

Friday, Aug 31st
    75 mins Moderate
    Total: 8.86m (1:19:16)
    Avg Pace:8:57 min/m
    Splits: 9:07, 8:57, 8:59, 8:50, 9:01, 9:08, 8:35, 8:43, 9:12 (.86)
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: Maintenance physio session at lunchtime, quite a few tight spots identified in particular my left ITB, and right foot/heel/peroneals which were the bother last year. He reassured me it wasn’t really any worse than he’d expect with the mileage I’m doing, but definitely no harm to be aware and keep on top of stretching, foam rolling and regular maintenance sessions until after DCM. Booked in again for 3 weeks time.

Sat, Sept 1st
    3hr LSR
    Total: 18.1m (3:05:24)
    Avg Pace: 10:14 min/m
    Splits: 10:52, 10:22, 10:09, 10:15, 10:10, 10:11, 10:00, 10:07, 10:13, 10:09, 10:25, 10:20, 9:57, 10:20, 10:12, 10:20, 10:11, 10:09
    Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Comments: Really pleased with this run, lovely even pace and i felt good, tired at the end but good throughout. We started a group of 7 and 3 of us stuck together with roughly the same time/distance goal. I had 2 slices of white bread toast before i started and took 2 gels - around 8 & 12 miles which is a lot more fuel before and during than i usually take but i think it helped.

Sunday, Sept 2nd
    45 mins very easy/recovery
    Total: 4.1m (45:49)
    Avg Pace: 11:14 min/m
    Splits: 11:28, 11:04, 10:58, 11:19
    Avg HR: 132 bpm
    Comments: My right heel felt very tight on waking up this morning to the point that it was quite uncomfortable to walk on. I wasn’t sure if i’d be able run but i felt the need of some air so i headed out in the afternoon and thankfully it loosened out very quickly on this recovery run and i felt much better afterwards. I was quite weary after it though despite the very easy pace - i felt a bit drained if i’m honest. I was in Mr. Price later in the evening and i found i was just dragging my feet around, clueless as to why i was there or what i was looking for and i was suddenly overcome with a burning desire to lie down in the middle of an aisle and go to sleep :eek: It was really overwhelming and surreal, i felt a bit out of body, i just wanted to curl up in a ball and hope that someone kind would come a wrap a soft blanket around me or not - i don't think i actually cared, i guess you could say i momentarily lost the plot :pac:

Comments: 45m. I am pretty sure i have hit the limit of what my body will allow me to do mileage wise this training cycle. I’ll most likely continue to take 2 full rest/recovery days for the remaining weeks, i think i need them especially if the situation at home with sleep, sick kids, and night visitors doesn’t improve. Feeling a bit low in general at the end of this week, just weary now and a bit disillusioned - hopefully nothing a couple of good nights sleep won't sort if i can get them!

On a less moany note i was delighted to see some great performances in the FD10 this weekend. Some super running and PBs galore, excellent stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great week ariana and that necklace sounds fab (and perfect)!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

I hear you on the feeling weary and disillusioned. Hopefully it's fleeting.
    Belated happy birthday, the necklace sounds adorable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I hear you on the feeling weary and disillusioned. Hopefully it's fleeting.
    Belated happy birthday, the necklace sounds adorable :)

Yep me too. Hopefully it’s just the nature of the marathon training cycle considering the length on it and heavy training.

I think you are flying though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Happy belated birthday.

Hope the little one feels better soon and you get a decent night's rest.

I think you're at the disillusionment stage of marathon training. You're doing some fantastic running, which will pay dividends.

Thanks y'all. I got a good night's sleep last night and i feel like a different person today, thank god for sleep. However my throat is scratchy and i feel i could be on the brink of something but hopefully i can fight it off before it takes hold :(

Thanks y'all. I got a good night's sleep last night and i feel like a different person today, thank god for sleep. However my throat is scratchy and i feel i could be on the brink of something but hopefully i can fight it off before it takes hold :(

Dose yourself up fast and hopefully it’ll come to nothing.

Belated happy birthday!!
    And congratulations on a super week. I understand the feeling of disillusionment that goes with the tiredness, but you had a brilliant session, a very long long run (that went really well) and still for high mileage overall too, so objectively speaking it was a great week!
    Scratchy throat club here too! And I’m adding a runny nose to the collection. Gah!

Get loads of water into you Ariana and rest as much as little ones allow ;) and I hope whatever it is, stays away

Monday, Sept 3rd
    60 mins easy
    Total: 5.75m (1:00:23)
    Avg Pace: 10:32 min/m
    Splits: 11:06, 10:18, 10:21, 10:06, 10:46, 10:40 (.75)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Was cold during this run - time for long sleeves or gloves, hardly :eek:

Tuesday, Sept 4th
    Session: 7 x 4 mins @ 7:40-7:51 min/m off 3 mins recovery
    Total: 7m (1:03:46)
    Avg Pace: 9:05 min/m
    Interval Splits: 7:53, 7:39, 7:40, 7:40, *7:59*, 7:44, 7:44
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: The session started off quite well, no issue with the first 3 reps other than being a little bit slow to get into the pace on the first rep but this is not unusual for me. In the middle of the 4th rep a dog came at me that i’m not used too, i am fairly terrified of dogs so lots of shouting at him ensued and a kind passerby stopped and calmed me down but the adrenalin was pumping which sent me flying up a big hill at crazy pace, when the watch beeped for the end of the rep the adrenalin was still pumping unfortunately and i couldn’t slow down which meant i barely did any recovery before being launched into the 5th rep where i died a complete death and badly wanted to just stop and walk home, more than i ever have in any session i’ve done, i convinced myself to struggle through the remaining 2 reps and i was very glad i did in the end, quite proud in fact in once i had calmed over and gone back over the reasons why i found it so tough. My splits were good in the end too except for that 5th rep :rolleyes:

Wednesday,Sept 5th
    75 mins easy
    Total: 7.65m (1:19:15)
    Avg Pace: 10:22 min/m
    Splits: 10:34, 10:21, 10:14, 10:27, 10:14, 10:29, 10:31, 9:56 (.65)
    Avg HR: 170 bpm
    Comments: Wow that HR :eek: that doesn’t look good. Got soaked to the skin on this run.

Thurs, Sept 6th
    Rest day anyhow but woke up feeling rotten - the battle against the head cold that i thought i was winning seems to have taken a bad turn.

Friday, Sept 7th
    I had been planning 45 mins easy today but in light of the ongoing battle with the head cold and the dirty wet evening i put my feet up and started dosing with Lemsip instead.

Sat, Sept 8th
    Easy parkrun with some strides
    Total: 3.1m (29:15)
    Avg Pace: 9:27 min/m
    Splits: 9:17, 9:43, 9:14, 10:07 (.1)
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Nice to get a lie in on Saturday :) Nothing crazy here took it handy and enjoyed some chats on the way around. Still feeling naff.

Sunday, 9th
    Race: Half Marathon (1:52:31)
    Avg Pace: 8:34 min/m
    Splits: 8:23, 9:12, 8:14, 8:32, 8:40, 8:33, 8:34, 8:26, 8:41, 8:36, 8:31, 9:07, 8:10, 6:55 (.12)
    Avg HR: 163 bpm
    Comments: PB going into this was 1:56:06 from June this year. I kind of thought i should be able to pull off low 1:50s, maybe 1:51:xx. In light of the head cold i decided to start at 8:40 pace and see how it goes, I'd be happy with 1:54:xx.

Mile 1-3 (8:23, 9:12, 8:14)
    I'd heard in advance that the course would be challenging so i wasn't surprised at the drags in miles 1 & 2. When my watch beeped 8:23 for the first mile i thought a little faster than planned and i was already starting to sweat. Pulled back for mile 2 but I didn't realise til the watch beeped 9:1x that i pulled back a little too much, minor panic attack was i even going to be able hold 9min/miles :eek: Mile 3 had a decent downhill section and i went with it, clocked 8:14.

Mile 4-11 (8:32, 8:40, 8:33, 8:34, 8:26, 8:41, 8:36, 8:31)
    This was all largely uneventful, lots of hills but i kept a steady pace, making up for the hills on the downhills. There were tonnes of water stations - some bottles, some cups - i took a sip at most. It was a funny ole day, we had rain showers, we had wind and at times it got quite hot with the sun. Again, i didn't bother with any gels even though i was carrying one. The field was very thin, only about 75 runners in all but i passed 3 during these miles just by keeping my own pace they came back to me. There was 1 girl ahead who i could tell was slowing but she was still a good way ahead.

Mile 12-13.1 (9:07, 8:10, 6:55)
    Mile 12 was the toughest mile of the whole lot for me. I knew i had a PB in the bag by now unless something drastic went wrong but i found the climb in this mile so so tough. I wasn't surprised to see 9:0x clock. Mentally i wanted to just stop at this point but this was really the only point where i had to start the mental mind games to pick myself up. I used the girl who i had been chasing for a while to spur me on here, i went by her at the start of mile 13 and i wasn't go to let her pass me again! Mile 13 clocked in as my fastest mile of the day at 8:10 and i finished at 6:55 pace despite another climb to the finish line.

Analysis
    I am so happy with this run. It was a challenging enough course but i handled it well, my legs felt so so strong throughout. The fact that I was never without a tissue in my hand and went through a fair few of them tells it's own story - I'd love to try this HM again with no excuses :P but on the day today i was thrilled with it, a PB of 3:35 on a PB that was only 3 months old - nothing at all wrong with that :)

Comments: 37.7m. A bit of a mixed week. Scratchy throat and feeling rough all week but on the plus i slept 7-8 hrs every single night this week after a Summer of very poor sleep. I also ate very well this week which again is something that’s been poor all Summer. I guess there’s a lot to be said for the routine when kids are back in school though they may not agree!! Hopefully i can shift this head cold soon now, i don't really want it impacting on the week ahead if i can help it, only 4 weeks left now before taper time so i'd like to be hitting these next few weeks hard!

In other news so many amazing performances this weekend that i better not mention any names for fear i'd leave someone out!! But i'm particularly proud of the novices who are nailing the long runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Congrats on a PB in less than ideal conditions. Your hard work is really paying off!

Well done again for today and a good week. Interesting that your heart rate was higher than usual the night before you got sick. A really well deserved pb today. Can you imagine what you’d do on a flatter course and feeling 100%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats again on the PB, and even more so with a cold! I foresee a sub 1.50 next HM (and I'm definitely psychic)

I have so much sympathy on the dog thing. I often think I must look back at my HR to see if there are spikes! Actually, it's gotten to the point with my club that people see a dog and warn me, and form a group around me to protect me! For that reason alone, I recommend a club ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Many congrats - great to get a PB on a difficult course in less than ideal conditions.

On your Strava profile, theres a very good trend on your mileage from November last year increasing month on month - this is great to see.
    Also - for this HM - there's an old measurement of doubling your time and adding 10 mins for a Marathon prediction - I'm not going to call it out, but you know yourself what your target should be :)

• Advertisement

Congrats on a PB in less than ideal conditions. Your hard work is really paying off!

Thanks. It's coming together for sure :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done again for today and a good week. Interesting that your heart rate was higher than usual the night before you got sick. A really well deserved pb today. Can you imagine what you’d do on a flatter course and feeling 100%!!

Thanks K. I'm starting to think that maybe the hills suit me a little bit, i actually didn't find it as bad as i was expecting. And I'm not sure how much the head cold held me back, aside from the annoyance of having to continually blow my nose :o, i felt good, my legs felt strong even on the hills except maybe the last one when i really did start to hurt and had a mental wobble :rolleyes:
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Congrats again on the PB, and even more so with a cold! I foresee a sub 1.50 next HM (and I'm definitely psychic)

I have so much sympathy on the dog thing. I often think I must look back at my HR to see if there are spikes! Actually, it's gotten to the point with my club that people see a dog and warn me, and form a group around me to protect me! For that reason alone, I recommend a club ðŸ˜

:pac: I do hope you're right. I'll have to sit down after DCM and decide on some goals, I've picked off a lot of low hanging fruit this year so it'll be interesting what next year brings :)
    Many congrats - great to get a PB on a difficult course in less than ideal conditions.

On your Strava profile, theres a very good trend on your mileage from November last year increasing month on month - this is great to see.
    Also - for this HM - there's an old measurement of doubling your time and adding 10 mins for a Marathon prediction - I'm not going to call it out, but you know yourself what your target should be :)

Thanks A, means a lot. DCM last year was such a massive turning point for me in so many ways and i'm so appreciative of all the advice and encouragement i got on novice thread and since then from the mentors and the other cohort of regular posters on that thread. And also proud of myself that I've managed to build on it in the way that I have, I'm happy with my year's running so far, just 1 more race left now :eek:

By the way I thought it involved doubling your time and adding 20 minutes - or is that just for novices?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

By the way I thought it involved doubling your time and adding 20 minutes - or is that just for novices?!

Sure we can split the difference and it'll still be a massive PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats on the PB! I think three minutes is a huge amount to take off a three-month old PB. Your hardwork is really paying off dividends and I'm delighted to see it.

Mind the cold now. Be kind to yourself for the early part of the week at least. The half was a monster session, so you can definitely afford a few recovery days.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB! I think three minutes is a huge amount to take off a three-month old PB. Your hardwork is really paying off dividends and I'm delighted to see it.

Mind the cold now. Be kind to yourself for the early part of the week at least. The half was a monster session, so you can definitely afford a few recovery days.

Thanks Huzzah, it was huge for me and i'm thrilled with it. I've got a few PBs this year that left me with mixed feelings or recriminations - this one I have no mixed feelings and no recriminations :)

And don't worry i intend to mind myself. I got a really bad dose 2 years ago, a head cold that turned into a nasty sinus infection that required steroid injections and several rounds of antibiotics to get myself right again and the memory of the pain is still there - i swear it was worse than child birth :eek: Thank god at the moment this is just a common cold but i intend to allow lots of recovery and rest in the early part of this week until I'm sure I'm over the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow, I can relate to so much in that HM report!

Great end to the week for you and well done on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Well done, Ariana. I think we may have been at the same event!

Take care of that cold.

Well done, Ariana. I think we may have been at the same event!

Take care of that cold.

Oh really? Shame i didn't know that! How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Oh really? Shame i didn't know that! How did you find it?

I liked the route, could have done without the wind, but otherwise good. I think they deserve a lot more participation, the organisation was excellent. And brilliant spread of sandwiches etc after :pac:.

Great running Ariana and congrats on that PB wait till next time and your back to full health :)

I just calculated your predicted marathon time ;) holy moly I can not wait to see that :)

• Advertisement

I liked the route, could have done without the wind, but otherwise good. I think they deserve a lot more participation, the organisation was excellent. And brilliant spread of sandwiches etc after :pac:.

Yeah i'd forgotten about the wind - it was a stiff enough breeze at times and got quite hot the last few miles as well. It was a funny ole day for sure! There was a 10 miler not too many miles away on the same day which can't have helped. The race market is so competitive now. Likewise i was very impressed with the spread and first time I saw a gluten free table at an event, major kudos for that.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Great running Ariana and congrats on that PB wait till next time and your back to full health :)

I just calculated your predicted marathon time ;) holy moly I can not wait to see that :)

Thanks :) I won't be losing the head on the marathon prediction front - I'll be keeping it realistic. It's still a big jump from half to full :cool:

Advertisement