Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I can't remember if I commented. Happy belated belated belated birthday! Well done on the pb. Mind that cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I saw the result on Strava but it's great to read the report - super solid running, well done! It sounds like you handled it all beautifully, strong throughout. And mile 12 in a half is supposed to be tough!
    No wonder you're delighted, that's a great performance anyway but all the more so when you weren't even feeling your best. Brilliant to beat your own PB by so much in such a short space of time. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I can't remember if I commented. Happy belated belated belated birthday! Well done on the pb. Mind that cold!

Thanks on both counts :)
    eyrie wrote: »
    I saw the result on Strava but it's great to read the report - super solid running, well done! It sounds like you handled it all beautifully, strong throughout. And mile 12 in a half is supposed to be tough!
    No wonder you're delighted, that's a great performance anyway but all the more so when you weren't even feeling your best. Brilliant to beat your own PB by so much in such a short space of time. Congratulations!

Thanks eyrie, i'm happy with it.

Monday, Sept 10th
    Pilates class - first class back after the Summer, brilliant class just what i needed to stretch out a bit after the HM as well.

Tuesday, Sept 11th
    60 mins easy
    Total: 6.3m (1:01:45)
    Avg Pace: 9:50 min/m
    Splits: 9:57, 9:45, 9:42, 9:49, 9:53, 9:52, 10:04 (.3)
    Avg HR: 167 bpm
    Comments: Don’t remember much about this one, think it was pretty standard bread and butter type run, chatting with a couple of the girls.

Wednesday,Sept 12th
    90 mins very easy
    Total: 9m (1:35:53)
    Avg Pace: 10:39 min/m
    Splits: 10:49, 10:43, 10:32, 10:50, 10:42, 10:47, 10:29, 10:23, 10:29
    Avg HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: Usually do a session on Wednesday night but still fighting off a head cold so opted to go along with a small group who wanted to go a bit longer tonight at a slower pace, enjoyed this, lovely very easy pace, still blowing the nose a good bit which was annoying but otherwise an enjoyable run on a nice evening.

Thurs, Sept 13th
    Rest day - thought i might do the session from Wednesday but had to travel to a funeral instead, no worries. Finally feeling i’m almost over the head cold though so that’s good :)

Friday, Sept 14th
    25 mins @ Threshold (8:02-8:16 min/m)
    Total: 7.2m (1:10:18)
    Avg Pace: 9:46 min/m
    Interval Splits: 8:16, 8:05, 8:03, 7:37 (.08)
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: Wednesday's session finally. Had a long day in work, a couple of long days actually and was a bit worried about hitting the pace on this but i got it done. Not feeling any love though, just one of those evenings (or week in fact).

Sat, Sept 15th
    Total: 18.6m (3:10:07)
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/m
    Splits: 11:51, 11:09, 10:34, 10:07, 10:00, 10:02, 9:54, 10:02, 10:01, 10:00, 9:46, 9:51, 10:01, 10:07, 9:49, 9:50, 10:37, 10:32, 9:33 (.6)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: What can i say this was a struggle from beginning to end, a bit of a nightmare run that i couldn’t wait to end. My right hip was quite sore at the start but that loosened out after about 2 miles but i never felt comfortable during this run. I think a combination of the session less than 12 hours before this run and just a tough week recovering from a half marathon, getting over a head cold, and then 2 extra busy days on Thurs & Fri meant i hadn’t eaten very well or drank much water… I felt like i had run a marathon for the day after this run, quads were burning :cool:

Sunday, 16th
    Total: 3m (33:35)
    Avg Pace: 11:09 min/m
    Splits: 11:31, 11:07, 10:51
    Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Comments: A desperate attempt to loosen out the quads - did a little bit of good but still quite sore - walking down the stairs sideways type of sore :eek: Lots of gentle foam rolling and stretching also after this run.

Comments: 44 miles. Hmmm what can i say a few lessons learnt on Saturday’s run but hopefully the tough run will stand to me. I don’t remember a run being as tough ever - but I’m sure if i go back through my log i might find one. Nothing like it to focus the mind though, i had been veering towards a 4:05 target for DCM and i think Saturday’s run has put me right back into the 4:15-4:20 camp, honestly if that run was anything like what it’s like to finish a marathon in a ball of pain then i don’t ever want to chance having that kind of experience, i'll be perfectly happy just to finish the darn thing and save my aggressive targets for whatever comes next (something which i find myself spending more and more time thinking about these days :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Good Stuff Elaine. Just put Saturday down to 'one of them days' due to a combination of a number of things. Onwards and upwards. Been flying the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Bit mad to be doing a 18mile run 12hours after a "session" ...

And many people would say no sessions for 10days after a HM....

And the cold as well.

Pretty serious week so soon after the race, it will help with the marathon prep :), but if anything you could ease off a bit this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

It wasn't your best week so far E for more than one reason. I think it would be a bit rash to change your DCM target by 10/15 minutes based on it. Get back on plan and you'll be fine. No more chasing lost miles! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It wasn't your best week so far E for more than one reason. I think it would be a bit rash to change your DCM target by 10/15 minutes based on it. Get back on plan and you'll be fine. No more chasing lost miles! ;-)

I agree with that- last week I done a terrible 18m after a session and was despondent after it.

fast forward to this weekend and I had a super 19m.

Dont change targets yet - plenty of time left to have good runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

No need to revise any targets yet. I think there’s a few of us will only be setting more accurate targets during taper time and yours won’t be changing that dramatically. You know yourself you’d an off week. Allow yourself to recover before pushing on with hard runs and get a few easy runs done and you’ll bounce back. Bet next Saturday’s run is a completely different story.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Good Stuff Elaine. Just put Saturday down to 'one of them days' due to a combination of a number of things. Onwards and upwards. Been flying the last few weeks

Thanks D :)
    Bit mad to be doing a 18mile run 12hours after a "session" ...

And many people would say no sessions for 10days after a HM....

And the cold as well.

Pretty serious week so soon after the race, it will help with the marathon prep :), but if anything you could ease off a bit this week!

Bit mad certainly but in my defense i have been running the evening before my LSR every week and alternate weeks it's been at a decent clip (moderate pace). But you're right, the session was a step too far, definitely my bad :o
    skyblue46 wrote: »

Yes solid advice there S - thanks for the reminder :P
    I agree with that- last week I done a terrible 18m after a session and was despondent after it.

fast forward to this weekend and I had a super 19m.

Dont change targets yet - plenty of time left to have good runs.

Thanks A. And hopefully you're right. I'll be nervous heading out next Saturday with the memory of it but hopefully it will end up being a great run :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    No need to revise any targets yet. I think there’s a few of us will only be setting more accurate targets during taper time and yours won’t be changing that dramatically. You know yourself you’d an off week. Allow yourself to recover before pushing on with hard runs and get a few easy runs done and you’ll bounce back. Bet next Saturday’s run is a completely different story.

Thanks K. We're nearly there right, 3-4 hard weeks and it'll be taper time. It's hard to believe. Still feeling pretty stiff but you're right a couple of easy runs early on this week and i'll bounce back.

• Advertisement

I'd echo everything that's been said already - there were some very good reasons why Saturday's run would have felt tough and they won't apply on marathon day. Doing those moderate paced runs the day before a long run is a very different thing to doing a full on session the night before. I would absolutely have expected you to suffer during the long run the next morning! So no need to take anything major away from that, other than to go easy on yourself next time and not try to do them both! If you were talking to a novice, you know what you'd say ;)

Monday, Sept 17th
    Total: 3.6m (33:33) + 1hr Pilates class
    Avg Pace: 9:25 min/m
    Splits: 9:16, 9:10, 9:42, 9:43 (.6)
    Avg HR: 161 bpm
    Comments: Miserable very wet, windy evening, just did this as a warm up for pilates but ended up colder than i started. Legs still very stiff/heavy from Friday/Saturday’s runs.

Tuesday, Sept 18th
    Tempo run
    Total: 7m (1:04:35)
    Avg Pace: 9:13 min/m
    Splits: 10:24, 8:33, 8:27, 8:29, 8:33, 8:28, 11:34
    Avg HR: 157 bpm
    Comments: Bit windy but this felt ok, legs felt better than they had in a good good few days, hip niggle starting to disappear thankfully. Had to cut it short a small bit as it got very dark very suddenly.

Wednesday,Sept 19th
    90 mins easy
    Total: 9m (1:31:53)
    Avg Pace: 10:12 min/m
    Splits: 10:32, 10:23, 10:19, 10:26, 10:11, 10:17, 10:01, 9:42, 9:53
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Comments: Lovely run in the aftermath of Storm Ali, lots of debris to navigate but a very enjoyable easy pace run.

Thurs, Sept 20th
    Rest day

Friday, Sept 21st
    Moderate pace run
    Total: 8m (1:17:08)
    Avg Pace: 9:36 min/m
    Splits: 10:19, 9:33, 9:26, 9:28, 9:16, 9:34, 9:24, 9:43
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: Loved this run, fabulous evening and the pace felt great, very comfortable.

Sat, Sept 22nd
    Total: 19.5m (3:25:07)
    Avg Pace: 10:31 min/m
    Splits: 10:37, 10:33, 10:45, 10:26, 10:05, 10:11, 10:23, 9:59, 10:15, 10:50, 9:58, 10:43, 10:01, 10:58, 10:14, 10:42, 11:06, 11:15, 11:07, 10:00 (.5)
    Avg HR: 163 bpm
    Comments: What a difference a week makes, really enjoyed this and felt great throughout. I’ve deviated off the plan a bit for the long runs, i found a group to run with about 4-5 weeks ago and i’m enjoying sociable running at the moment, it’s a lovely change from running on my own and i’m happy enough that i’m still getting a decent balance in my week. Some slow miles near the end were due to one of the group struggling with a injury but overall very enjoyable run on a beautiful Saturday morning. Next week is a step back…

Sunday, 23rd
    Total: 3m (32:18)
    Avg Pace: 10:46 min/m
    Splits: 10:51, 10:35, 10:49
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: Nice easy recovery run, felt grand actually after yesterday’s long run, legs a little heavy to be expected but nothing like the pain in my quads i had after last week’s long run. Nice to finish the week feeling good.

Comments: 50m. Not a bad week’s running all round, it ended better than it started which is always a good thing! I’m finding it hard to fit the runs in now, 3 weeks back into the school routine and the stress is getting to me a bit, it’s all the juggling - school runs, homework, after school activities, birthday parties and now that the evenings are getting shorter it puts me under more pressure to get out earlier in the evening rather than later. One of my kids had football on Saturday from 10am-4pm, and that was just 1 of this weekend’s extra-curricular activities to be managed. I shouldn’t complain, it’s great to have healthy kids who enjoy sport, i just need more hours of daylight in the day LOL!! If i decide to do another marathon (and that's a big fat IF!) i think 4-6 weeks earlier than Dublin would be a better fit for me - so the heavy training weeks fall during July & August when the days are long, no school/homework and less extra curricular stuff... But for this year just 2 more weeks til taper time now, already :eek: Just got to hang in there now and keep the momentum for these 2 weeks and then let the taper madness take over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see you back on track and enjoying your running this week.

Maybe you should get a head torch to get you through the next few weeks just in case? Not ideal and I don’t do country roads myself in the dark but might be an option?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Delighted to see you back on track and enjoying your running this week.

Maybe you should get a head torch to get you through the next few weeks just in case? Not ideal and I don’t do country roads myself in the dark but might be an option?

Thanks K, it's always great to have a good week after a bad one, hopefully it will be the same for you this week :)

I have a head torch but i still wouldn't go on my own, the back roads are a bit scary tbh & the main road is so busy with cars flying at 120kph. The girls i run with all are all free to run during the daytime, they don't mind waiting for me until 6/6.30 some days but it's a lot to expect them to wait til 8pm or later which is really the time that suits me best. But I'll make it work for the next few weeks until DCM and take stock then when I'm deciding what's next.

It's getting exciting now, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ariana` wrote: »
    Monday, Sept 17th
    i found a group to run with about 4-5 weeks ago and i’m enjoying sociable running at the moment, it’s a lovely change from running on my own and i’m happy enough that i’m still getting a decent balance in my week.

Do you have a preference between running solo and running in a group?

All of my runs to date have been solo so I don't know any different but I think I would definitely enjoy some company!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great training going on over here on this log:D Delighted to see the HM PB a few weeks back on Strava so lovely to read the report to go along with it. You are in a great place right now E. I hear you on the busy evenings and having to fit the runs in around family life.

I'm lucky in that my oldest 2 are old enough to be left on their own or the youngest one with them while I try fit mine in, but then I'm not marathon training, but have been in that situation many times before. It will all be worth in on marathon day!!;);)

coogy wrote: »
    Do you have a preference between running solo and running in a group?

All of my runs to date have been solo so I don't know any different but I think I would definitely enjoy some company!

coogy for dcm last year i ran mostly on my own, to be honest mentally i found it hard but motivation was never lacking so that helped a lot. This year the company has helped me a lot, especially on the long runs i love sauntering along chatting, the miles tick by so quickly. Because of the group i'm also running different routes - roads i have never been down to be honest and it's mostly 1 big circuit. Last year i was using the same 3-4 smaller loops (5-10k) and just doing them in a different order every week depending on how many miles i wanted, i got so sick of those same few loops but I i was nervous straying too far from home on my own on unfamiliar roads - i live in the country but i'm a city girl - and to make matters worse i'm petrified of dogs so i didn't like going down unknown roads for that reason also :o

There are drawbacks like on Saturday the last 3m were slower than i would have liked but you take the bad with the good. The week before i really struggled and the group were really supportive and encouraging me on when all i actually wanted to do was sit on the side of the road and cry :cool:
    Younganne wrote: »
    great training going on over here on this log:D Delighted to see the HM PB a few weeks back on Strava so lovely to read the report to go along with it. You are in a great place right now E. I hear you on the busy evenings and having to fit the runs in around family life.

I'm lucky in that my oldest 2 are old enough to be left on their own or the youngest one with them while I try fit mine in, but then I'm not marathon training, but have been in that situation many times before. It will all be worth in on marathon day!!;);)

Thanks A. I was drawing some similarities alright when i read your log this morning!! It will get easier in another few years and for now well yes let's hope it's worth it. I'm lucky my other half is supportive (within reason :pac:) but sometimes things get on top of me and like most mammies at one time or another i feel like all i spend my time doing is shouting at my kids because i'm stressed juggling it all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You are doing great E :) it is getting so close now :D;)

What's next then, more focus on the shorter stuff I am leaning that way myself for a while :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    You are doing great E :) it is getting so close now :D;)

What's next then, more focus on the shorter stuff I am leaning that way myself for a while :)

Thanks N. I'll probably spend Nov & December recovering. And then i have my eye a few races for the first 6 months of next year - mostly ones I've done before and liked for a variety of reasons. Training wise it's hard to know, most generic plans are 12-14 weeks and i won't always have 12-14 weeks between race distances so i'll probably be doing some tweaking building races into the plan! But in general the main focus will be 10k-10m, I'd be very happy if i get those in line with my 5k time by this time next year :cool:

It'll be great to follow your progress too, i think shorter stuff will definitely be best for you for a while. Build a strong base before you contemplate going long again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks N. I'll probably spend Nov & December recovering. And then i have my eye a few races for the first 6 months of next year - mostly ones I've done before and liked for a variety of reasons. Training wise it's hard to know, most generic plans are 12-14 weeks and i won't always have 12-14 weeks between race distances so i'll probably be doing some tweaking building races into the plan! But in general the main focus will be 10k-10m, I'd be very happy if i get those in line with my 5k time by this time next year :cool:

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop postHanson, now that I can race again! This is kind of my thinking too for once I'm recovered. Want to do all the races :P

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm like a kid in a sweet shop postHanson, now that I can race again! This is kind of my thinking too for once I'm recovered. Want to do all the races :P

I know it's exciting for sure!! How is your recovery going - how are you feeling? Do you think you will follow a Hanson plan again - for a different distance, or will you wing it for a while?

I know it's exciting for sure!! How is your recovery going - how are you feeling? Do you think you will follow a Hanson plan again - for a different distance, or will you wing it for a while?

I'm taking the prescribed two weeks off but my legs felt grand by last Thursday. My foot was very painful until Sunday, but it's fine now.

Think I'd use Hanson again for the half/mara distance but I'm going to use the Grads Plan over winter - it fits nicely with my schedule. I did a previous incarnation of the Grads Plan, also devised by L, and really enjoyed it. I need to race a wee parkrun or something first to base my training paces off - I don't fancy trying to run the very easy prescribed by my marathon time :P

I'm taking the prescribed two weeks off but my legs felt grand by last Thursday. My foot was very painful until Sunday, but it's fine now.

Think I'd use Hanson again for the half/mara distance but I'm going to use the Grads Plan over winter - it fits nicely with my schedule. I did a previous incarnation of the Grads Plan, also devised by L, and really enjoyed it. I need to race a wee parkrun or something first to base my training paces off - I don't fancy trying to run the very easy prescribed by my marathon time :P

Glad the recovery is going well! You're so organised - plan in place already. I'll probably be dithering until Christmas :pac: My marathon time is similar enough to yours and i wouldn't fancy training off those paces either :D Best of luck with it, there'll probably be a few of us doing similar training just a few weeks behind you!

Glad the recovery is going well! You're so organised - plan in place already. I'll probably be dithering until Christmas :pac: My marathon time is similar enough to yours and i wouldn't fancy training off those paces either :D Best of luck with it, there'll probably be a few of us doing similar training just a few weeks behind you!

Thanks - I'm a great one for planning. This is a tricky time of year for me, though, so we shall see how the implementation goes.

Looking forward to cheering you on at DCM :)

Thanks - I'm a great one for planning. This is a tricky time of year for me, though, so we shall see how the implementation goes.

Looking forward to cheering you on at DCM :)

The support will be appreciated and hopefully you'll be able join us a drink afterwards - it'd be lovely to meet you :)

I’m going to start by saying that this is the week that the grads plan and real life came together to whip my ass :rolleyes:

Monday, Sept 24th
    Total: 1hr Pilates class

Tuesday, Sept 25th
    Threshold run (3 x 12 min off 4mins recovery)
    Total: 7.65m (1:10:26)
    Avg Pace: 9:13 min/m
    Intervals: Target pace 8:02-8:16 min/m
    8:15, 8:02 (.47)
    8:05, 8:09 (.48)
    8:09, 8:15 (.47)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: I was seriously dreading this session, the last few threshold sessions have all felt a bit strained so for this i decided to try to aim for the slower end of the range and settle into the pace a bit more. Ended up being crazy wet and blustery evening so there wasn’t much chance to settle into it really but i got through it and quite happy that i hit the paces and even more happy that that’s the last threshold session of this marathon cycle done :cool:

Wednesday,Sept 26th
    90 mins easy
    Total: 9.5m (1:40:00)
    Avg Pace: 10:31 min/m
    Splits: 10:48, 10:30, 10:19, 10:38, 10:35, 10:27, 10:34, 10:12, 10:37, 10:21 (.5)
    Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Comments: God my legs and glutes were really in bits after the pilates and the threshold session, the first 3 miles were torture but i seemed to loosen out then thankfully and this ended as an enjoyable run but for the first 3m i would have quite happily turned for home at any point if i didn’t have a group with me egging me on, every time my foot landed i felt my ass was screaming at me :eek:

Thurs, Sept 27th
    Rest - and thank god for it too.

Friday, Sept 28th
    75 min tempo run
    Total: 9.65m
    Avg Pace: 8:51 min/m
    75 mins tempo @ 8:42 min/m (target pace 8:40-9:00 min/m)
    Comments: eyrie posted a query about the pace for this run, whether it should be tempo or MP. The responses were a bit inconclusive, either could be beneficial to summarise. In the end i decided to stick with tempo pace but i used the tempo pace based on my recent HM time, up to now i’ve been basing my training paces on my 5k time which really isn’t in line with my HM/PMP time at all. So a small bit of a cop-out perhaps but i’m happy that i got a quality session done. I was dreading this a bit but to be honest but i didn’t find it quite as hard as i expected, well not the first hour, i lost a bit of concentration then and i struggled to settle down again for the last 15 mins, i was clock watching and just generally restless, tiring too i suppose i must have been.

Sat, Sept 29th
    Total: 9m (1.5m w/u + 7.5m easy)
    Avg Pace: 9:53min/m
    Splits: 10:16, 10:11, 9:27, 10:10, 9:38, 9:40, 9:48, 10:00 (.5)
    Avg HR: 146 bpm
    Comments: I was contemplating doing 12m today but ended up settling for 12k after some advice from some of my fellow grads. I went with a group training for a HM so the pace was a small bit quicker than my usual LSR pace but i wasn’t too worried as this wasn’t going to be a long run - so no problem, right! I did a 1.5m warm-up myself before joining the group. Somewhere around 4m into the run i noticed i had stopped talking and very unlike me i didn’t really talk about for the rest of the 7.5m - i was wrecked, absolutely wrecked after this run. I spent the rest of the day feeling like i had run 16/18m :eek:

Sunday, 30th
    Comments: Had planned to run but life just got in the way - some friends did a 10k race and i was so jealous of them.

Comments: 36m - my lowest of the entire marathon cycle at a stage when i probably should be peaking! Oh well just one more week before taper now. I hope to make it a good one. I'm feeling a bit of lethargy at the moment, like i've lost focus or momentum. I possibly should have made more effort to do a run on one of the days that i didn’t run this week, it sounds a bit counter intuitive but i think an easy run would have been beneficial even mentally as i nearly always feel a million dollars after easy runs and i only had 1 easy run this week (Wednesday) and even that started out quite tough as i had such a bad case of DOMS. So a tough week overall despite being low mileage and 3 rest days, tough mentally. But i'm here, still going and no injury worries yet (touch wood) so just one last push now right :)

36m - my lowest of the entire marathon cycle at a stage when i probably should be peaking! Oh well just one more week before taper now. I hope to make it a good one. I'm feeling a bit of lethargy at the moment, like i've lost focus or momentum.
    I feel the exact same way E, and I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just a fact of being where we are in marathon training (and therefore nothing to worry about). The fact is several people seem to be making similar comments about tiredness, motivation, etc. And sure of course we would be experiencing some of that, we're training more and harder than we ever have, and we've been at it a while now. I wouldn't worry about slightly lower mileage last week either, as you know well the marathon is much more about the last several months (even years!), and you've been consistent for a long time.
    that’s the last threshold session of this marathon cycle done cool.png

This didn't even dawn on me till this morning - hallelujah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Chin up ariana - you've only a few weeks left to go!

Monday, Oct 1st
    Total: 3.6m + 1hr Pilates class
    Avg Pace: 9:11 min/m
    Splits: 9:01, 9:12, 9:22, 9:08 (.6)
    Avg HR: 161 bpm
    Comments: A bit quicker than i’d like as a warm up for pilates but i was with a guy from work and i guess this was his easy pace - i tried several times to slow him down but failed. Got very wet on this run. Enjoyed Pilates this week and thankfully didn’t have the DOMS i had for 2 days after last week’s class.

Tuesday, Oct 2nd
    1hr easy
    Total: 5.75m (1:01:18)
    Avg Pace: 10:40 min/m
    Splits: 10:26, 10:57, 11:12, 10:33, 10:24, 10:18 (.75)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Really really loved this run, I was in Galway so had the novelty of streets light and the buzz around the city & university was just a lovely change to the usual rural roads i run on where cows and tractors are all i meet :pac: Lovely Autumnal evening too, one of my favourite runs in a while.

Wednesday, Oct 3rd
    2 * 30 mins tempo (8:40-9:00 min/m)
    Total: 10m (1:32)
    Avg Pace: 9:11 min/m
    Tempo splits: 8:42 min/m (3.45m), 8:46 min/m (3.42m)
    Comments: I was a bit wary of this but it was fine actually in the end, i quite enjoyed the efforts - the pace was manageable.

Thurs, Oct 4th
    Rest

Friday, Oct 5th
    1hr easy - cut this short, was out with a friend and went along with what she wanted to do (8k), could have run on to finish the hour but i just didn’t feel the need to be honest.
    Total: 5m (51:32)
    Avg Pace: 10:17 min/m
    Splits: 10:17, 10:11, 9:59, 10:27, 10:29
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: Physio at lunchtime today, just maintenance, a few ouchy moments when he hit on tight spots (left hip flexor & a knot behind my right knee), but i’ve been through worse sessions so happy enough with that. I’ll see him about 5-6 days before d-day.

Sat, Oct 6th
    Total: 5m (51:01)
    Avg Pace: 10:11 min/m
    Splits: 10:19, 10:05, 10:04, 10:09, 10:16
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Comments: Wow what a beautiful morning, i was so jealous of anyone doing a long run, it was just gorgeous. I had to be in dublin by noon (which also involved getting the kids & myself spruced up etc) so i didn’t have much time to get a run done, the plan had 1hr moderate on it but i was so irrationally nervous about tomorrow’s long run that i decided to save myself and just do an easy run, my bad :p but i thoroughly enjoyed this, it was the most amazing morning, there wasn’t a sinner out and i was just running along at my own lovely easy pace, happy happy days.

Sunday, Oct 7th
    ¾ marathon at LSR pace
    Total: 19.64m (3:11:47)
    Avg Pace: 9:46 min/m
    Splits: 9:37, 10:01, 10:03, 10:19, 10:19, 10:21, 10:01, 9:55, 10:19, 10:12, 10:23, 10:26, 9:35, 9:53, 9:13, 9:03, 8:54, 9:02, 8:38, 8:37(.64)
    Avg HR: 163 bpm
    Comments: As mentioned already i was irrationally nervous about this run. I spent the whole week debating whether i’d do it all. Thankfully some of my fellow grads talked sense into me! It was this weekend last year that my knee went from under me, on the last long run on the Boards plan and i just have had such a fear of this weekend for weeks now - i can laugh at myself now but the fear was real. I never did a ¾ before but it was great practice for the day itself. I had that same feeling in the first 3 miles - lovely fresh legs raring to go but i had to hold myself back! For the first 6/7 miles i just plodded along doing my own thing at the back of a little group chatting to various individuals at times, there was great camaraderie and joking going on during these miles - everyone was training for Dublin. After 7 miles I found myself on my own so i picked up the pace a small bit in mile 8 to to catch 3 girls running together and joined them for a couple of miles, without realising it 2 of us went slightly ahead around 9-10 miles and i stuck with the girl i was with until about 14m. I couldn’t believe how fast these miles went, the mile markers seemed to come around unbelievably quick! Around 14/15 miles we hit some downhills and i found myself quickening a little bit - i did wonder if i should hold back and stick to my LSR pace but then i reminded myself I had skipped the 60 mins moderate the day before so i felt that justified throwing in a few faster miles. I was on my own for these miles, i passed a few people, many were walking at this stage and i was reminded again of the benefits of starting off slow, but everybody was so encouraging to each other, it was really a lovely feeling out there, the camaraderie was something to behold. I finished with the biggest smile on my face (kindly captured on camera by my friend who did the half), if Dublin goes anything like this i’ll be very happy (irrespective of what time is on the clock).

Comments: 49m. And that’s a wrap. It’s been mixed but this was definitely one of my better weeks where i enjoyed my running! Some lovely easy runs in the mix and the ¾ was the icing on the cake, a nice week to finish off 11 weeks of hard training and start 3 weeks of tapering :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Well done Elaine, great to see you have a good final week (pre-taper), with all your efforts on the novices thread.

Advertisement