Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad day out there. I've had many a day like that - the marathon has broken my heart (and body) on more than one occasion, Berlin and Dublin 2015 in particular spring to mind. Hope you're feeling better in yourself soon and ready to face it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ariana, I was gutted for you when I met you in McGrattan after the marathon, when I saw you on chesterfield avenue you both looked great and doing very well.

well done for sticking it out and well done on the PB even if you did get the run you wanted and it's not the PB you had in mind. I think you will do amazing over the next few months loads more to come from you:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sorry to hear things didn't go as hoped for you Ariana. I hope you can take some consolation from the fact that you played a massive part in the success of the Novices, I'm pretty certain they'd all agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

aloooof wrote: »

I hope you can take some consolation from the fact that you played a massive part in the success of the Novices

This by 1000%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Firstly - it was great to meet you afterwards - you really are an inspiration to so many, me included.

Secondly - Pick a boards athlete (any one) and see how many of them are happy after every race - I'd reckon its happy with 1 in 5 or 1-10 even.

The fact that you aren't happy with a 10 min PB speaks volumes for your progression.

I wouldn't discount the mental aspect of being the Boards Mentor this year - it does consume you and it does take a lot of energy, even if you don't notice it.
    It also places an additional performance expectation on you as so many people are now watching you.

I'm a firm believer that you need to taper the mind as much as taper the body in the 2 weeks prior - for a boards mentor, the mind goes into overdrive as you are looking out for so many.

The A, it was lovely to finally meet you. You played such a big part in getting me to this point. And thanks for the reassurance.
    Ah, I am really sorry to read about the struggles. Had been tracking you and KG on Sunday and was delighted to see you running together.

It's a bit of a mystery what happened, no? You had trained well and even the conservative 2xHM+20 would bring you to 4:05 (and you weren't 100% doing that HM). Unless the virus was causing trouble under the surface.

Know your head hasn't always been there for the Marathon training so hope you will enjoy getting some PBs for shorter distances going forward :).

Thanks hillsiderrunner. Yes, i'll definitely focus on the shorter distances for a while but unfortunately i now have unfinished business with the marathon :pac: but i'll park it for a while!
    aquinn wrote: »
    I'm sorry to read you had such a hard day.

That's tough to get your head around and now especially when you are left with so many questions.

Never forget it is a massive achievement to have completed the distance and the rough run is hard to take but will stand to you. Postive, happy thoughts that you won't have another one like it. Chin up and be proud of yourself.

Thanks A. Sorry i missed yourself & Paul. Kellygirl said ye had a good natter later on.
    No probs 0 added kudos for staying with it through the horrors of the last few miles in particular. You certainly led by example with that determination, that refusal to give up when things weren't going your way. I'd be thrilled with a 10 minute PB over any distance! And as for afterwards, the amount of people that came to McGrattans was testament to the work you and your mentors put in over the last 6 months. Glad I was there to witness it 0

Yes, being a mentor does complicate matters in the lead up. Don't get me wrong, I was delighted to do it and it's something I'll always be proud of! It (setting an example) wasn't something I particularly worried about during the race itself, but certainly beforehand was a bit manic keeping an eye on all the posts, and hence not really "tapering the mind". Guaranteed you'll have a far faster and more enjoyable marathon if you decide to go again.

Thanks WW. I have no regrets either. And i'm sure i'll do it again (another marathon that is). I'm just grateful that my 1st marathon experience was a better one thanks in no small way to yourself, AMK & C.
    M.m.m. wrote: »
    I have to say I agree totally with what AuldManKing said there, that mentor gig is consuming and you put a lot into it. Plus the expectation and the fact that you had run 1.52.

Sometimes when I read boards and look at all the sandbagging jokes etc if someone decent is going for a race I think to myself you would either need to be a bit of a show off or tell nobody you're racing. I hate that feeling of having to perform, especially if you're not in great form or are wrecked from running and life etc.

So disappointed for you but you'll get back on track soon again.

Thanks M.m.m.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I was delighted to meet you on Sunday but I could feel your disappointment. It's all the more frustrating when you can't put your finger on what went wrong, something to "fix" for the next time you race, whether it's a marathon or not.

I wholeheartedly agree with AMK: you're an inspiration to many, me included. This is one of my go-to logs and you always seem to know the right thing to say when something goes wrong for somebody else. I only wish I could do the same for you.

You showed awesome determination in the closing stages of the race. You can be proud that you gutted it out. Hope you take a nice wee break now and recover well.

Cheers Huzzah. It was lovely to meet you. I felt bad i was a bit out of it - hopefully next time i will be better able to converse :o Yeah, i definitely need a good break now, me thinks 3-4 weeks of very easy running before i do anything else.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well E it's hard to know what to say. You are, as many have said, an inspiration to more than you know. I've gotten to know you over the last 18 months nearly now, chatting on a near daily basis ,(even if it is all Whatsapp and here) as an amazingly considerate woman, and the de facto Mammy of our little group. Jesus you can even control a Father Jack type like me!!

I have no doubt the next 6/8 months will bring you many better running days as you concentrate on the shorter stuff and don't have to worry about the hour by hour and day by day mentoring. PBs will fall and there will be plenty of thrilled and excited race reports.

Gutted for you that the race didn't work out and even more gutted that you had to leave early. I know that you were really looking forward to the post race craic.

PS....Were my nerves that evident? Meeting the Boss had me in bits...:pac:

Thanks S. You know i run for a break for being Mammy and now you're after telling me i'm a de facto mammy there too - not sure whether to laugh or cry :p
    eyrie wrote: »
    You deserved a day a million times better than that E, I'm so sorry that that's how it went. It's so completely out of any relationship to the brilliant training you had done, just really really unfair. It's inevitable that we will all have crappy days where it all goes wrong for no apparent reason, but I really wish yours hadn't been Sunday.

It was heroic and really generous of you to still come to McGrattan's and stay for as long as you did and be as friendly and good natured as you were, being supportive to all the novices like me who owe so much of our experience to your hard work. Thank you.

You deserve an infinitely better marathon experience and I have no doubt it's there for you when you feel like going back to it.

Don't mind me! I'm sure you're right and there was. I'm in my own little world half the time and oblivious to what's going on around me. :rolleyes:

Thanks eyrie! I appreciate the kind words. I'm delighted you got the fine experience that you deserved. You have an amazing future at this running lark!
    Quoting this part coz it's very relevant E.

Firstly it was great to meet you. I was genuinely gutted to see the disappointment on yourself and K's face when I met ye in McGrattans.

Marathons require you to put your heart and soul into a long block and it all comes down to one day. One single day. That's a lot of pressure. I know I joke about the shorter stuff but I really hope you give yourself a chance to enjoy some shorter races and training. If you mess up a 10k no biggie. Do another a month later! The risk v reward is much more unforgiving in the marathon. At least enjoy the mental break.

You stood out from last years Novices. It's why I started following your log. Great potential but you are particularly hard on yourself. Put that down to a bad day. We all have bad days and races. It's just amplified in a marathon.

As we've already chatted about gimme a shout any time you need an opinion. I love giving those. Haha.

Thank P, it was lovely to meet you. As i said the social side of the day was definitely the highlight for me. And i will surely be in touch with you ;)
    racheljev wrote: »
    Ah I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad day out there. I've had many a day like that - the marathon has broken my heart (and body) on more than one occasion, Berlin and Dublin 2015 in particular spring to mind. Hope you're feeling better in yourself soon and ready to face it again.

Thanks rachel. Good to know i'm not alone and can/will come back from this minor set back.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Ariana, I was gutted for you when I met you in McGrattan after the marathon, when I saw you on chesterfield avenue you both looked great and doing very well.

well done for sticking it out and well done on the PB even if you did get the run you wanted and it's not the PB you had in mind. I think you will do amazing over the next few months loads more to come from you:)

Cheers N. I was glad we had spent a bit of time over a cuppa at the expo as i hardly got to chat to you on Sunday. Give my apologies to P also - i'm not sure if i even congratulated him on his run or asked how he got on :o
    aloooof wrote: »
    Sorry to hear things didn't go as hoped for you Ariana. I hope you can take some consolation from the fact that you played a massive part in the success of the Novices, I'm pretty certain they'd all agree!

Thanks. I'm delighted the novices got on so well this year and it was an honour to be part of the process but the novices did all the work and should be very proud, we just dished out advice.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, my confidence has taken a hit for sure but i'll bounce back :cool: The plan now is 3 weeks of all very easy running. At some stage late in December or January i'd like to give my Park run pb a rattle and after that well there's a 10k in March i'm considering... you can't keep me down for long :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry to hear your marathon didn't go to plan ariana. Your race sounds similar to my DCM 2016. Having to stop running and walk for parts when all you want is for the bloody thing to end is an absolutely awful feeling and I really sympathise. I was also suffering from a bad head cold the week of that marathon, maybe it had more of an effect on you than you realised.
    Anyway, enjoy a few weeks of easy running and I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll be knocking out PBs in all the shorter distances very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Sorry it didn't go as planned Ariana. I was tracking a substantial amount of folks from the comfort of my sofa and it seemed to be like a bad day at the office for most. I suspect that this is more the norm than not but from stories I've heard I wonder was the cold start part of the issue.

The marathon is ruthless , you don't always get out what you put in even if you have the mythical "grit" factor . You trained well and have a super work ethic so you have nothing to beat yourself up over.

I did however track two lovely ladies who had a mare of an experience last year - and this year tipped in at just under 4 hours. They have similar times to me and gave me hope that its possible for normal grafters.

So maybe you will return for a showdown next year ! If you do you will have company !!! Eek

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Sorry it didn't go as planned Ariana. I was tracking a substantial amount of folks from the comfort of my sofa and it seemed to be like a bad day at the office for most. I suspect that this is more the norm than not but from stories I've heard I wonder was the cold start part of the issue.

The marathon is ruthless , you don't always get out what you put in even if you have the mythical "grit" factor . You trained well and have a super work ethic so you have nothing to beat yourself up over.

I did however track two lovely ladies who had a mare of an experience last year - and this year tipped in at just under 4 hours. They have similar times to me and gave me hope that its possible for normal grafters.

So maybe you will return for a showdown next year ! If you do you will have company !!! Eek

OMG will you stooooooop!!!!!!! Kellygirl already caved on me and i'm just about hanging on to my resolve! DCM is unbelievable - FOMO already :eek:

But thank you for your words of encouragement and consolation. The marathon is a beast, i hope one day i'll get the better of it and it will be all the sweeter for the journey it took to get there!

In the meantime I look forward to following yours and others' DCM 2019 journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    OMG will you stooooooop!!!!!!! Kellygirl already caved on me and i'm just about hanging on to my resolve! DCM is unbelievable - FOMO already :eek:

But thank you for your words of encouragement and consolation. The marathon is a beast, i hope one day i'll get the better of it and it will be all the sweeter for the journey it took to get there!

In the meantime I look forward to following yours and others' DCM 2019 journey :)

KellyGirl seems to have no sense!!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    KellyGirl seems to have no sense!!

The pull of DCM is unbelievable, i woke up thinking about it, wondering whether i'd be mad to or not, could be a case of 3rd time lucky :eek:

• Advertisement

The pull of DCM is unbelievable, i woke up thinking about it, wondering whether i'd be mad to or not, could be a case of 3rd time lucky :eek:

Well that was me yesterday and I’d ants in my pants until I just registered and got it over with :D

Your day might be more productive if you just register this morning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Just do it will you. Haha.

Plenty of time in between for shorter stuff.

Do what you love and gets you motivated to get out on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done ariana, your race report made for good reading - it didn't sound like you had the race you wanted and the race you deserved after you put in the work and training. But digging deep and putting one foot in front of the other shows strength. You'll nail it in DCM19....

Just do it will you. Haha.

Plenty of time in between for shorter stuff.

Do what you love and gets you motivated to get out on the roads.
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Well done ariana, your race report made for good reading - it didn't sound like you had the race you wanted and the race you deserved after you put in the work and training. But digging deep and putting one foot in front of the other shows strength. You'll nail it in DCM19....

Ye are not helping my willpower :pac: I'm going to be sensible and let the dust settle, if i sign up now it's just a knee jerk reaction, once i get stuck into something else the FOMO might disappear right :cool:

LOL how quickly do you think it will sell out this year, very soon I think :) I better hurry up and sign up myself

I have to say I agree with Bluesquare I really think the cold was a factor this year

So apart from some easy runs have you any target races you want to target soon beside Clon that is ;)

LOL how quickly do you think it will sell out this year, very soon I think :) I better hurry up and sign up myself

I have to say I agree with Bluesquare I really think the cold was a factor this year

So apart from some easy runs have you any target races you want to target soon beside Clon that is ;)

I think it’s interesting the number of reports where people were finding the first few miles tougher than expected - I don’t remember that last year so I think the cold definitely had something to do with it this year. No warm ups either and straight into running on a cold day.

No idea why I signed up. My running mojo is at an all time low . I hate the thoughts of it - but I do love a bargain ! Also you are totally allowed to transfer your number next year so that made it easier. I'm obsessing already though, looking at plans etc . Need other addicts !!! Seriously though no pressure - I'm still completely torn - half of me thinks it's a pointless endeavour and the other half has a plan ready to go and is also eying up Belfast !

The 5k distance looks good - trying to motivate myself to drop my pb time here !

I think it’s interesting the number of reports where people were finding the first few miles tougher than expected - I don’t remember that last year so I think the cold definitely had something to do with it this year. No warm ups either and straight into running on a cold day.

My ankles were so sore, esp when I stopped and stood around and got cold, it really affected my husband he had an asthma attack at 30k he was raging as he felt great and was rearing to go but could not breathe so he had to slow down
    No idea why I signed up. My running mojo is at an all time low . I hate the thoughts of it - but I do love a bargain ! Also you are totally allowed to transfer your number next year so that made it easier. I'm obsessing already though, looking at plans etc . Need other addicts !!! Seriously though no pressure - I'm still completely torn - half of me thinks it's a pointless endeavour and the other half has a plan ready to go and is also eying up Belfast !

The 5k distance looks good - trying to motivate myself to drop my pb time here !

Oh I love looking at plans:D and I think its great they are allowing transfers I missed out on DCM this year I had booked it and the race series I only ran the 10k missed the rest, so it makes it easier to book now knowing you won't lose out :)

You still can work on 5k times sure that will stand to you in the long run loads of time till June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I am thinking the same myself now! :pac:

It is the 40th anniversary next year so I think it will sell out even earlier than this year's did ...

Actually if transfers are allowed can see no reason not to (*digs-out-debit-card*)

A 10k block which i'll start after Clon - i should probably do the 10k in Clon to get current training paces and a goal to improve on. There's an 8k in January that i have done for the past few years which will serve as a tune up race. I'll pick a 10k target in March at the end of the 12 week plan.

Have you plans yourself beyond Clon - will you sign up for the full race series again?

I think it was a lot of factors combined for me... it was the head that let me down in the end and that's the bit i'm most annoyed about. The fact that i ran the last 1.4 miles at a respectable enough pace (10:35, 8:53) makes me wonder if i was really as f**ked as i thought i was or was it all in my head. No point in going back over it now but I definitely have unfinished business.

• Advertisement

Nothing like signing up for a race to help you find your running mojo ;) There's plenty of time. Maybe pick a goal to focus on first - a Spring HM perhaps?
    I am thinking the same myself now! :pac:

It is the 40th anniversary next year so I think it will sell out even earlier than this year's did ...

Actually if transfers are allowed can see no reason not to (*digs-out-debit-card*)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

A 10k block which i'll start after Clon - i should probably do the 10k in Clon to get current training paces and a goal to improve on. There's an 8k in January that i have done for the past few years which will serve as a tune up race. I'll pick a 10k target in March at the end of the 12 week plan.

Very similar plan to myself, although I'd chosen Bohermeen 10k as my target only to realise this morning that it's not being run this year.

What plan are you going to follow?

Bohermeen half is a super pb course !!

I like it cause it's a double loop - I like knowing where I am going . Not everyone likes it for same reason

I have done a lot of halves and I can say that this course probably stands out to me as the one with the best pb potential !!!

So If you are looking for a spring half !!!

Very similar plan to myself, although I'd chosen Bohermeen 10k as my target only to realise this morning that it's not being run this year.

What plan are you going to follow?

At the moment the 8-10k plan from Pfifzinger & Latter in the Faster Road Running book. It's a 12 week plan. I'll start with the lowest mileage one which starts at 32 mpw and maxes at 42 mpw (those could be wrong but it's roughly that range). I like the idea of slightly lower mileage for the Winter - I plan to do some s&c work on the cross training days and give myself a bit of mental break from the pressures of fitting in higher mileage.

That's a shame about the race. What plan are you thinking of doing after the base training?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Not sure if you're aware but there's a very handy thread on here that lists Road Races for 2019. Very useful if you're looking for a particular month to target a specific distance. Its a community effort so we should, if we have time, all contribute to growing it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057920155

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

At the moment the 8-10k plan from Pfifzinger & Latter in the Faster Road Running book. It's a 12 week plan. I'll start with the lowest mileage one which starts at 32 mpw and maxes at 42 mpw (those could be wrong but it's roughly that range). I like the idea of slightly lower mileage for the Winter - I plan to do some s&c work on the cross training days and give myself a bit of mental break from the pressures of fitting in higher mileage.

That's a shame about the race. What plan are you thinking of doing after the base training?

Ah, nice. Five days a week, too, which may or not be less pressure for you.

I've a shiny spreadsheet done up with the Grads Plan but was looking at a Hanson plan this morning... So many plans, so little time.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Ah, nice. Five days a week, too, which may or not be less pressure for you.

I've a shiny spreadsheet done up with the Grads Plan but was looking at a Hanson plan this morning... So many plans, so little time.

I've never really considered Hanson, is there a book that you'd recommend or do you use the web? Maybe Grads for a change as you've done Hanson before? I was going to do Grads too and won't rule out doing one of them again but it's for a change that i'm moving to Pfitzinger.

The first four weeks are actually four day weeks which i find a bit odd but it gives me a little bit of extra flexibility in the run up to Christmas which usually requires a good bit of juggling. The sessions look chunky enough so maybe four day weeks will be enough for the first few weeks.

I love nothing more than shiny new spreadsheets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If any of you good ladies could help me out....where is the info that transfers will be allowed coming from? I know lots are talking about it but I can't find anything official.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If any of you good ladies could help me out....where is the info that transfers will be allowed coming from? I know lots are talking about it but I can't find anything official.

I can't name my sources ....On Facebook when KBC is introduced as the sponsor it's mentioned in the discussion thread .

Event master have a new software system that enables the transfer of a race place - so it's just about to go viral in the Irish market !

• Advertisement

I am not sure if I will sign up for the race series I might skip them and just concentrate on training so less recovery time maybe if I was I think the racer series half would be the only one I would do.

Skyblue, I read it on facebook in a DCM group I was in

Advertisement