Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sorry to hear DCM was rough going for you. Still a decent PB. You all did an incredible job with the novices. :) Hope you're able to enjoy some more time to yourself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to hear DCM was rough going for you. Still a decent PB. You all did an incredible job with the novices. :) Hope you're able to enjoy some more time to yourself now.

Thanks for your kind words TBO. Yes a big enough PB, i got over the time very quickly, it was the way I ran it that was/is bothering me but it's just unfinished business now that's all. I had a serious itch to sign up again for a good week afterwards but I'm glad i held off on scratching it. I'm letting the dust (and some niggles) settle now and i'll start into something new soon (hopefully before i get to the stage where none of my clothes fit me :o).

You had a really great run, i was delighted for you, you deserved it :)

5 weeks post DCM 2018

I have a confession to make, since DCM I haven’t really felt like posting on Boards and definitely not on my log. But i have been keeping a record of things and eventually decided i should get it in here for completeness.

I have to say if DCM was disappointing the recovery has been even more disappointing. With great naivety a few weeks ago I entered the Half Marathon in Clonakilty next weekend, last week I paid €30 to transfer my entry to the 10km. Normally the week before a race I'm busy dithering over a target time and race strategy, but as I write this I'm not even sure I will manage or should even be considering running 10km never mind racing 10km.

In hindsight i wished i made the decision to take complete rest for 3-4 weeks, instead i had a few stop-start weeks and i quite possibly ended up prolonging the recovery process. Anyhow, warts & all here it is!

Week 1
    Nothing but some gentle foam rolling for the first 5 days post marathon.

Saturday (day 6) - 1.5m w/u @ 10:08 min/m, parkrun @ 9:12 min/m, avg HR 166 bpm.

Sunday - Nothing.

4.6 miles

Week 2
    A big fat NOTHING aside from continued foam rolling. Feeling pretty cr*p this week, just general lethargy and achiness especially around the feet/heels/ankles etc. Travelling for a funeral and spending a night on a couch added to this. Ankle swelled up after a good bit of time on my feet on Saturday.

0 miles

Week 3
    Monday - 1 hr Pilates class. Ankle still tender but swelling gone down.

Tues - Nothing, DOMS set in as the day wore on.

Wed - 1 hr very easy run, 5.67 miles @ 11 min/m, Avg HR 163 bpm. DOMS lingering.

Thurs - 30 mins runners yoga @ home. Still some DOMS.

Fri - 1 hr very easy, 5.25m @ 11:35 min/m, avg hr 160 bpm. Extra stretching and foam rolling.

Sat - 35 mins steady effort, 3.7m @ 9:23, avg hr 153 bpm. Some core work and lots of stretching. Very sore left foot after this run, couldn’t put my weight down on it at all, sore all along the outside of the sole of the foot, noticed myself walking on the inside of the foot to protect it.

Sun - Some strength work and 30 mins runners yoga @ home. Left foot still sore - feeling old.

14.6 miles

Week 4

Monday - Physio session for the foot. Given some exercises to do and told to rest for another week, pain is related to tightness up through the peroneals on the outside of the left calf. Some strength work & 30 mins runners yoga @ home.

Tues - Nothing aside from physio exercises, quite tender where physio worked yesterday.

Wed - Fairly intense foam rolling of the peroneals and physio exercises.

Thurs - First day i don’t feel any pain walking on the left foot and starting to walk more normally again. Woke up feeling rotten though - head cold and swollen glands (what next?).

Fri, Sat, Sun - Feeling pretty miserable with a head cold and swollen glands. Busy days at home too. Good bit of pain in the foot still. Foam rolling here & there but nothing else significant, very low energy and motivation levels.

0 miles

Week 5

Monday - 1hr Pilates Class. Followed by foam rolling of the foot and peroneals. Text Physio to get a follow up appointment. Still feeling quite sick with the head cold.

Tuesday - Foot feeling a lot better this morning after last night’s foam rolling. Decided to try a short easy run in the evening time, 3.5m @ 11:26 min/m, Avg HR 161 bpm. Slight twinge in the foot near the end of the run but nothing more than a niggle, i’ll stick to 5k/3m for a while.

Wednesday - 3.1m @ 11:05 min/m, Avg HR 157 bpm. Felt more comfortable than yesterday, no pain in the foot at all. Followed up with some yoga at home & foam rolling.

Thursday - 45 mins strength & mobility work at home.

Friday - Physio appointment, a less specific session than the last one, he gave both legs a good rub down and the prognosis is that i’m still recovering from the marathon. Apparently it can take up to 2 months to recover fully and that generally people just don’t allow enough time. I was feeling pretty good after this session in fairness, he found a few tender spots but it wasn’t torture by any stretch of the imagination and i got the green card to get back to running more regularly and build back up slowly from 5k/3m. All in all a positive session.

2m easy @ 10:28 min/m, avg hr 122bpm
    1m with 5x100m strides, avg hr 131bpm
    Strangely low HR tonight which I put down to either a blip of the watch or it was related to running on the more forgiving surface of the running track.

Saturday - 3.8 m @ 9:13 min/m, avg hr 154 bpm

Sunday - 45 mins strength & mobility work (including yoga) followed by 2.5m @ 10:41 min/m, avg hr 156 bpm. Still a niggle in the foot towards the end of this run.

16.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sounds like a serious case of post marathon blues to be honest, I suffered from same thing after Rotterdam in 2016. You have nothing to seriously focus the mind on and don’t know what to do as a result? My advice is try not to force it, let the malaise pass because it will. The appetite for training & racing will return, believe me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ariana` wrote: »
    I have to say if DCM was disappointing the recovery has been even more disappointing. With great naivety a few weeks ago I entered the Half Marathon in Clonakilty next weekend, last week I paid €30 to transfer my entry to the 10km. Normally the week before a race I'm busy dithering over a target time and race strategy, but as I write this I'm not even sure I will manage or should even be considering running 10km never mind racing 10km.

You've nothing to prove. Run the 10k at an easy pace and enjoy the experience. No need to be putting pressure on yourself for a specific target time or a PB. Your mojo will return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sounds pretty close to my experience. I'm pretty sure my foot was peroneal related - blimmin' painful. I'd entered Donadea 10k, which was three weeks after the marathon and thought I'd maybe do Clontarf as well. Naive doesn't even cover it.

Clonakilty sounds like it's going to be fun, so just treat it as a pre-Christmas meetup with your friends. No time pressure, no goals.

Your mojo will return.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sounds like a serious case of post marathon blues to be honest, I suffered from same thing after Rotterdam in 2016. You have nothing to seriously focus the mind on and don’t know what to do as a result? My advice is try not to force it, let the malaise pass because it will. The appetite for training & racing will return, believe me.

Thanks. I'm sure you're right and there is/was an element of post marathon blues, unfortunately the on/off foot pain is what's causing the continued malaise but hopefully it will resolve soon.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    You've nothing to prove. Run the 10k at an easy pace and enjoy the experience. No need to be putting pressure on yourself for a specific target time or a PB. Your mojo will return.

Thanks for the reminder F. It's so easy to get caught up in putting pressure on for a PB or a good time and it's just not always the right time to race hard - this definitely isn't.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sounds pretty close to my experience. I'm pretty sure my foot was peroneal related - blimmin' painful. I'd entered Donadea 10k, which was three weeks after the marathon and thought I'd maybe do Clontarf as well. Naive doesn't even cover it.

Clonakilty sounds like it's going to be fun, so just treat it as a pre-Christmas meetup with your friends. No time pressure, no goals.

Your mojo will return.

Thank you also! Hopefully we will both have our mojo and get off to flying start in 2019 and in the meantime you're right - this is one for me to enjoy for reasons other than racing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hi Ariana, sorry to hear the last few weeks haven't gone as planned for you. You were wonderful in leading us in the novice group to DCM all while you were training for it yourself. I used to wonder how you managed it all. I'm sure it was far from easy though you led the thread and training plan so smoothly for us.
    Maybe the quietness after DCM is what you needed? One of my favorite sayings is you can't pour from an empty cup. Now, if only I was good at taking my own advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Ariana I could not agree more with Quickbeam and Huzzar :)

It does sound like the foot is coming round though FX it does this week so your not worrying about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Recovery sucks :cool: It's frustrating (at least it is for me) to realise your body won't do what you think it should, how you think it should, and we're fairly helpless. I mean I know you can do all the right rehab stuff and everything, but there's no guaranteed timeline it seems. The only thing that does seem fairly true is that trying to rush it doesn't help and probably only drags it out even more. You seem to be starting to get some positive signs already though which is great, and I've no doubt whatsoever that you'll build on them and everything will come right back to where you want it in good time.

Your only job now is to mind yourself and mind the body! So have fun next weekend. The pressure to perform can wait (no doubt it will still be there next year ;)) - you deserve to enjoy yourself!

• Advertisement

Hi Ariana, sorry to hear the last few weeks haven't gone as planned for you. You were wonderful in leading us in the novice group to DCM all while you were training for it yourself. I used to wonder how you managed it all. I'm sure it was far from easy though you led the thread and training plan so smoothly for us.
    Maybe the quietness after DCM is what you needed? One of my favorite sayings is you can't pour from an empty cup. Now, if only I was good at taking my own advice!

So true!

And thanks, you're very kind but i was happy to contribute in any small way i could to your journey. It was busy but i felt it helped that i was training for it myself, i was a bit more tuned in to the various things you guys were going through that way.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Ariana I could not agree more with Quickbeam and Huzzar :)

It does sound like the foot is coming round though FX it does this week so your not worrying about it :)

Thanks N. FX for his week. Sure either way we'll have a good time :)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Recovery sucks :cool: It's frustrating (at least it is for me) to realise your body won't do what you think it should, how you think it should, and we're fairly helpless. I mean I know you can do all the right rehab stuff and everything, but there's no guaranteed timeline it seems. The only thing that does seem fairly true is that trying to rush it doesn't help and probably only drags it out even more. You seem to be starting to get some positive signs already though which is great, and I've no doubt whatsoever that you'll build on them and everything will come right back to where you want it in good time.

Your only job now is to mind yourself and mind the body! So have fun next weekend. The pressure to perform can wait (no doubt it will still be there next year ;)) - you deserve to enjoy yourself!

So true also. Next year sometime i'll be wishing i could run a 10k for fun - now i have the perfect opportunity!! I'm sorry to hear you're going through the same, although i had a good idea already from your log that you are, it's a b*tch really but we'll come out the other side hopefully sooner rather than later and this will be a distant memory :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm just posting here out of a sense of duty. LOL. I don't think I have much to add as if you are anything like me you're fed up hearing about how important it is to mind yourself, how the good days will return and that this is a good time of the year to be injured. Truth is that it's a pain in the arse and nothing I can say will sweeten the pill. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm just posting here out of a sense of duty. LOL. I don't think I have much to add as if you are anything like me you're fed up hearing about how important it is to mind yourself, how the good days will return and that this is a good time of the year to be injured. Truth is that it's a pain in the arse and nothing I can say will sweeten the pill. :-)

:pac: Come back to me when you lot have had to suffer through 5 years of excruciating calf problems where every run feels like there's hot candle wax running down your legs. Ye're not even running that long, it's been a month tops of injuries for all of ye ffs!:)

You run, you will get injured, it's as certain as death and taxes. Take it your stride, treat injuries with the same care and attention as you treat running. There's a great quote from probably the greatest running book ever written Once a Runner

You don't become a runner by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many day, weeks, months, and (if you could finally come to accept it) years. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials.

I think it's something that applies to everything you do in running, patience. Emil Zatopek had another great one "They Say the breaks even out in the long run, the trick is to be a long distance runner". You are going to go through great patches, terrible patches and everything in between, weathering those patches is the key.

E, I'll tell you what I told you last year. Sit down, forget about what anyone else thinks and think about what you want to next, how well you want to do it and what you will need to do to achieve it. What you are feeling is normal, you invested a lot in to Dublin in more ways than one and it didn't quite work out, it happens and can feel like a kick in the teeth. If you run for another 10 years, it'll happen again at some point. Just like one bad run or bad week doesn't make a year, One dissapointing race doesn't make a runner. Focus on what you want you really want to do next, that's the important part.

Some people might enjoy the sensation of hot wax!! What does the physio say? What's your opinion on running through a discomfort. I'm feeling like a bit of a wuss at the moment. Sorry for the hijack E. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Some people might enjoy the sensation of hot wax!! What does the physio say? What's your opinion on running through a discomfort. I'm feeling like a bit of a wuss at the moment. Sorry for the hijack E. ;-)

Haha, I'm not saying ye are wusses, I'm saying that patience will help you out in your scenario and that injuries will happen. It's only a short period of your time of your whole running life, it's something you won't even think about once they've cleared up. My opinion on running through discomfort is a case by case basis and I was just trying to show that there are people out there suffering much longer and more frustrating spells of injuries that they can't do anything about. Not holding myself up as some sort of mark of toughness personified:pac:. It's just adding another perspective, there's people I've seen who have had to retire from sport because of career ending injuries, I see guys who have gone through hip and knee replacements who will never ever run their best again.

You guys are new enough to running and have so much potential to uncover as of yet, all ye're best days are still ahead and short term injury layoffs won't stop that ball rolling forward.

I appreciate your honesty and lack of sugar coating S :D
    El CabaIIo wrote: »

E, I'll tell you what I told you last year. Sit down, forget about what anyone else thinks and think about what you want to next, how well you want to do it and what you will need to do to achieve it. What you are feeling is normal, you invested a lot in to Dublin in more ways than one and it didn't quite work out, it happens and can feel like a kick in the teeth. If you run for another 10 years, it'll happen again at some point. Just like one bad run or bad week doesn't make a year, One dissapointing race doesn't make a runner. Focus on what you want you really want to do next, that's the important part.

The trouble with me is always figuring out what i really want to do next. But i've been in a similar position with work this past year and i usually find once i start talking it through that actually the answer is within me somewhere, now the thing is to find someone who will listen to me talk about running long enough so i can figure out the buried truth :pac:

Thank you though - perspective as usual does help.

You guys are new enough to running and have so much potential to uncover as of yet, all ye're best days are still ahead and short term injury layoffs won't stop that ball rolling forward.

I really hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

:pac: Come back to me when you lot have had to suffer through 5 years of excruciating calf problems where every run feels like there's hot candle wax running down your legs. Ye're not even running that long, it's been a month tops of injuries for all of ye ffs!:)

You run, you will get injured, it's as certain as death and taxes. Take it your stride, treat injuries with the same care and attention as you treat running. There's a great quote from probably the greatest running book ever written Once a Runner

You don't become a runner by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many day, weeks, months, and (if you could finally come to accept it) years. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials.

I think it's something that applies to everything you do in running, patience. Emil Zatopek had another great one "They Say the breaks even out in the long run, the trick is to be a long distance runner". You are going to go through great patches, terrible patches and everything in between, weathering those patches is the key.

Whatever with your calf. Try a ruptured ACL. I have a scar. I win. :P

I have trained for a marathon now 3 times and made the starline once.

When I did it was a briliant day in 2014 and I don't regret a second of it. Target went awol with the conditions on the day but I adjusted and enjoyed it. Even with having a postive day I lost all zip for running until the following Feb. I felt great afterwards but it takes over your life so much that I physically and mentally needed a break.

You definitely need a break as you are still reeling from the day and now your body is playing up. Rest as instructed and mind yourself.

Go easy on yourself too.

Well hello log :)

I planned to recap on the missing weeks but i don't have the heart. It's been helter skelter since DCM - injuries, recurring head colds, comebacks, lost voices, antibiotics, tummy bugs, more comebacks... November was no surprise, i expected a rest/recovery period following DCM however I won't deny December was quite the downer.

On the positive the Christmas break has given me the much needed time to think back on where i've come from and where i'm going. According to GC i ran 384 miles in 2016, i hit 1,001 miles on NYE 2017 and this year i've run 1,460 with 2 days to go. I ran my first marathon in 2017. I ran another one this year and i PB'd at 6 different distances this year (5k, 8k, 10k, 10m, HM & FULL) - i'm more proud of some of those than others but none the less they all count.

However, I've gained a full stone since DCM and been feeling quite low in myself. Thankfully the Christmas break has given me the space i needed to figure out what to do about that! Like a lot of us here i struggle with the work/life balance. Over the break i've pinpointed a couple of areas i can make changes to hopefully improve this. It won't be anything drastic but small changes that will hopefully make a difference over time. So 2019 is going to be more about those kinds of goals for me.

On the running front i don't expect to do anything big this year, i think it will be a year long base building project, right now I don't foresee any big races or big PBs. I'll race of course, because i love it, but i'll be racing to train rather than training to race, if that makes sense! And it'll mostly be at the 5-10k distance. I have an entry to DCM (FOMO combined with getting a €50 entry as a KBC customer pushed me over the edge :D) but it's shelved for now, if i run it i won't be looking for a big PB like this year :cool:

Funnily, despite my disappointment over DCM this year and despite the rotten recovery period since then it is still one of my big highlights of 2018. Mentoring the novices and meeting so many of you folk on the day itself. I certainly wasn't at my best that day but it was still unreal to finally put so many faces to names and that sense of belonging to a really super community. Thanks for all the support and encouragement all year. Happy new year everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for the update E. Some year for you too. Being Novices Mentor does take it out of you however, in the sense that you're trying to manage so many performances other than your own. I think you did a brilliant job. The fella before you was a tough act to follow, to be fair :pac:

Best of luck for the year ahead. Fingers crossed those changes make the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Happy New Year for 2019 when it comes E; you deservedly get to look back on 2018 and take pride on what you and the rest of the crew provided to the novices in terms of training; encouragement and support.

I have no doubt that whatever you plan for the coming year that you will achieve what you set out to do. Sometimes it is nice to refocus the efforts from marathon cycles; we just have to keep in mind why we do this running lark it is great for our minds as well as our bodies.

C

• Advertisement

Good to hear from you again here:). I can totally sympathise with the 'bleh' feeling the last month or two, but I'm delighted the Christmas break has given you a chance to recharge. I've a feeling 2019 is going to be a fun one... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Had written a big long post and for some reason it didn't post. Grrrrr...

In summary.. Lol

As always great attitude. Racing to train rather than the other way around is definitely a good idea for you right now. You've put a lot of pressure on yourself the last couple of years all on one big marathon performance. Plus the added factor of mentoring. You're particularly hard on yourself so I'm happy to see you're trying some shorter stuff and taking the pressure off a bit. Get back to what you love about running.

If it makes you feel any better I've a list of things to address as long as my arm after the Xmas break. Lol. All the best for 2019.

I'm a stoner too! :pac: Well I'm actually up 16lbs at this stage!

Yep there is no doubt that for a few of us the year went out with a whimper rather than a bang but we'll all be back in the swing of things in no time. A few good weeks training and all the happy little endorphins will be milling around and you'll be having sneaky little thoughts about PBs :D

Happy new year E. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

On the positive the Christmas break has given me the much needed time to think back on where i've come from and where i'm going. According to GC i ran 384 miles in 2016, i hit 1,001 miles on NYE 2017 and this year i've run 1,460 with 2 days to go. I ran my first marathon in 2017. I ran another one this year and i PB'd at 6 different distances this year (5k, 8k, 10k, 10m, HM & FULL) - i'm more proud of some of those than others but none the less they all count.

Your running really came on leaps and bounds this year. You trained well and ran some great PBs. It's rubbish that DCM didn't go to plan and I understand how demoralising a slow return to consistency is but don't forget how well you've done.
    Funnily, despite my disappointment over DCM this year and despite the rotten recovery period since then it is still one of my big highlights of 2018. Mentoring the novices and meeting so many of you folk on the day itself. I certainly wasn't at my best that day but it was still unreal to finally put so many faces to names and that sense of belonging to a really super community. Thanks for all the support and encouragement all year. Happy new year everyone :)

It was lovely to finally meet you after all the help and support you've given me in 2018. It really is a super community we have here. Happy new year!

Thanks for the update E. Some year for you too. Being Novices Mentor does take it out of you however, in the sense that you're trying to manage so many performances other than your own. I think you did a brilliant job. The fella before you was a tough act to follow, to be fair :pac:

Best of luck for the year ahead. Fingers crossed those changes make the difference!

Thanks J. This was the thing nagging in the back of my mind taking on the role :D
    Happy New Year for 2019 when it comes E; you deservedly get to look back on 2018 and take pride on what you and the rest of the crew provided to the novices in terms of training; encouragement and support.

I have no doubt that whatever you plan for the coming year that you will achieve what you set out to do. Sometimes it is nice to refocus the efforts from marathon cycles; we just have to keep in mind why we do this running lark it is great for our minds as well as our bodies.

C

So true C, we lose sight of this at times!
    eyrie wrote: »
    Good to hear from you again here:). I can totally sympathise with the 'bleh' feeling the last month or two, but I'm delighted the Christmas break has given you a chance to recharge. I've a feeling 2019 is going to be a fun one... :pac:

It hasn't been easy for sure but we'll get there. It's good to see you back on Strava with more regular runs now, onward and upward from here eh :)
    Had written a big long post and for some reason it didn't post. Grrrrr...

In summary.. Lol

As always great attitude.Racing to train rather than the other way around is definitely a good idea for you right now. You've put a lot of pressure on yourself the last couple of years all on one big marathon performance. Plus the added factor of mentoring. You're particularly hard on yourself so I'm happy to see you're trying some shorter stuff and taking the pressure off a bit. Get back to what you love about running.

If it makes you feel any better I've a list of things to address as long as my arm after the Xmas break. Lol. All the best for 2019.

Thanks P. You're always manage to make me feel better about things!
    I'm a stoner too! :pac: Well I'm actually up 16lbs at this stage!

Yep there is no doubt that for a few of us the year went out with a whimper rather than a bang but we'll all be back in the swing of things in no time. A few good weeks training and all the happy little endorphins will be milling around and you'll be having sneaky little thoughts about PBs :D

Happy new year E. :)

I'm looking forward to those happy little endorphins S! I doubt there'll be talk of PBs for a while but i suppose never say never :pac:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Your running really came on leaps and bounds this year. You trained well and ran some great PBs. It's rubbish that DCM didn't go to plan and I understand how demoralising a slow return to consistency is but don't forget how well you've done.

It was lovely to finally meet you after all the help and support you've given me in 2018. It really is a super community we have here. Happy new year!

Thanks E. And it was lovely to meet you too :)

The last few weeks have been pretty dismal but aren't new years all about fresh starts so here goes with a quick 4 week recap before my fresh start :)

Week 10/12/2018 - 16/12/2018
    Tues - 4.8 easy miles @ 10:28, avg hr 154bpm

Wed - 10 x 1 min off 1 min recovery (8:00, 8:00, 7:14, 7:18, 7:05, 7:10, 7:13, 7:15, 7:29, 7:30). Total 4.3m.

Sat - 6m easy @ 11:04min/m

Week 17/12/2018 - 23/12/2018
    Mon - 5.35m @ 10:36, avg hr 148bpm

Tues: 6 x 2mins off 1 min recovery (7:17, 7:51, 7:37, 7:23, 7:19, 7:31). Total 4.15m.

Friday: 3.1m @ 10:15 + 5 strides (1.25m).

Saturday: Parkrun with my 8yr old, 3.1m @ 10:55min/m, avg hr 147 bpm.

Week 24/12/2018 - 30/12/2018
    Sick early in the week, on antibiotics all week and in hindsight no doubt i went back running too soon before finishing the antibiotics, a mistake i will pay for :rolleyes:

Thursday: 3m @ 10:59, avg hr 148 bpm.

Friday: 5m @ 9:59 min/m, avg hr 153 bpm.

Saturday: 10m @10:08 min/m, avg hr 151 bpm.

Week 31/12/18 - 06/01/2019
    Monday: 4.2m @ 10:08 min/m, avg hr 149 bpm.
    And sick again :o
    Saturday: 12m @ 10:15 min/m, avg hr 155 bpm.

So after a slow finish to 2018 and an even slower start to 2019 i'm hoping to pick things up and gain a bit of momentum again - fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I hope that is the end to the sickness :) good to see you back out again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    So after a slow finish to 2018 and an even slower start to 2019 i'm hoping to pick things up and gain a bit of momentum again - fingers crossed

Rest up, get better, don't rush back and then try to prioritise running regularly again. Don't overthink plans or sessions for a while. Short runs to start with til you know you've shaken it. Mind yourself!

You've had some unlucky run of things with the sickness and everything. Here's to a much better few weeks and months ahead! All in good time, no rush ;) Hope you're feeling better now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

That was a nice 12 miles on Saturday despite being out for so long, it must of felt good knowing your fitness was still there? Hopefully that’s the end of the sickness for this year!!

Advertisement