Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Another good week, that’s great. Hard to get the pace right in the 400s I’d say. I need a longer distance to get the pace right usually.

Thanks K.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are you following a plan E?

Short answer is no!

Longer answer is i sit down on a Sunday and plan for the week ahead so it's not completely haphazard. The focus is just to get a bit of consistency with the mileage and adding in some gentle sessions to keep it interesting. You probably recognise some of these as watered down versions of what's on Luke's grads plans? I'm using the Tinman calculator for my Easy/Tempo/Threshold paces to keep me sensible.

I got completely disillusioned after all my comeback attempts over Nov/Dec/Jan so for now i'm happier to take it week by week. I'm open to input at any time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    I got completely disillusioned after all my comeback attempts over Nov/Dec/Jan so for now i'm happier to take it week by week. I'm open to input at any time :)
    I reckon if it's working for you and you're enjoying it that's all that matters! You can always switch to something more specific when you feel like it, but this seems like a good way of getting back into things. And you had a great week last week so it sounds like it's suiting you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Great your back at it as well and going well !

It will be interesting to see what races you plan on targeting . I want to try and do some 10ks/5ks after bohermeen so ill be keeping a close eye on you!

eyrie wrote: »
    I reckon if it's working for you and you're enjoying it that's all that matters! You can always switch to something more specific when you feel like it, but this seems like a good way of getting back into things. And you had a great week last week so it sounds like it's suiting you now!

Yeah i'm happy out now enjoying it :)

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Great your back at it as well and going well !

It will be interesting to see what races you plan on targeting . I want to try and do some 10ks/5ks after bohermeen so ill be keeping a close eye on you!

I'm in the West so probably different races to the majority on here. At the moment it's looking like 5 & 10ks between April & June. After my hols in July i'll start training for Charleville HM in September with maybe a tune up 10 miler in August if something suitable pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Holidays ! I wish it was holidays now ! Sounds like you have a rough plan. That charville half sounds like a great race my all accounts .

• Advertisement

04/02/2019-10/02/2019
    Monday
    Easy with 2 sets of strides, 6 x 30s on a hill bump in the road + 6 x 100m on flat
    Total 5.1m @ 11:08 min/m, avg hr 147 bpm

Tuesday
    45 min strength class

Wednesday
    Easy, 6m @ 10:43 min/m, avg hr 142 bpm

Thursday
    REST

Friday
    Threshold 3 x 8 mins @ 8:29, 8:26, 8:30

Target pace 8:30-8:42. Really happy with this, windy evening (thanks Storm Eric!) but settled into the effort and was really happy with the result.
    Total 6m @ 9:33min/m, avg HR 150bpm.

Saturday
    Kid's birthday party - easily counts as cross training right :confused::D

Sunday
    8.5m easy @ 10:51, avg hr 139bpm.

Lots of black ice and sleet showers.

Total: 25 miles

Only four runs this week but happy with the quality. Wednesday's easy run in particular just felt completely effortless. I gained 4 points on my V02 Max according to my Garmin this week, I'm sure it's not an exact science but it was reassuring to see it going up after weeks and weeks of watching it fall (I lost 7 pts on it in the 12 weeks post dcm :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Great week E, how did you find the S&C class?

Great week E, how did you find the S&C class?
    I've been doing it since Christmas C, i've surprised myself by really enjoying it actually. It's a bit different every week, some overlap of course, there's a couple of exercises i don't like but I like most of them. There's just 8 in the class, all runners, so it's quite specific and with 2 trainers between us we get a lot of attention - there's no slacking off. I'd love to get a 2nd class in during the week but it's not really possible unless i sacrifice another run and i can't be doing that :P

This was a challenging week with 1 child off school all week on sick leave which threw the usual routine and the usual quota of sleep out the window :cool:

11/02/2019-17/02/2019
    Monday
    Unplanned rest day - bad start to the week :(

Tuesday
    Speed: 2 x (4 x 200m off 200m rec) @ 6:56-7:28, 4 min between sets
    Set 1: 7:27, 20, 08, 10
    Set 2: 7:40, 05, 04, 04
    Total 6.2m
    Supplementary: 45 min strength class

Wednesday
    Easy 7.6m @ 10:54, avg HR 137 bmp.

Thursday
    Planned REST

Friday
    LT (8:24-8:34): 2 x 10 min off 3 mins rec + 1 x 8 min: 8:26, 27, 29
    Total 5.5m @ 9:25 min/m, avg HR 157 bpm.

Saturday
    10.1m @ 9:50 min/m, avg hr 150 bpm

Club run and it was too fast for me, especially into the head wind but i was delighted to see the HR didn’t take too much of a hit, i did long runs 3 weeks ago at a much slower pace that resulted in a much higher HR. Really pleased overall to see how the average HR has dropped on all my runs over the course of just 4 weeks.

Sunday
    Planned 3-4m easy today to bring me over 30m for the first time this year but I woke up with a sore throat (actually i went to bed Sat night with a sore throat too) and no voice so decided to park it. I wouldn't usually drop a run so easily but i had such a run of sickness in Dec and Jan that seems to have turned me a bit soft :o

Total: 29.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

After the few weeks sick you had that sounds like a good idea :) I hope the sore throat clears quickly for you

• Advertisement

I wouldn't usually drop a run so easily but i had such a run of sickness in Dec and Jan that seems to have turned me a bit soft :o
    Not soft at all I'd say - more like you've learned when not to risk it turning into something worse! Hope you're feeling better now.

Beautiful consistency on those LT intervals :)

Started this week with no voice and a very sore throat, developed over the week to a very annoying cough by midweek and eventually a head cold by the end of the week. Thankfully i had my voice back by about Thursday but was feeling pretty rotten all week really. I made a good few compromises on the training front and overall mileage was down unfortunately, very disappointed to be sick again as that’s the second time i’ve lost my voice this year and we’re not even 2 full months into the year yet :( I'd been planning to give Parkrun a good lash this week as i’m rarely free to go but i was this week (thanks mid-term break) but i did a session instead in the end.

18/02/2019-24/02/2019
    Monday
    Skipped speed session, 5m steady instead @ 9:50min/m, avg hr 160 bpm.

Tuesday
    REST

Wednesday
    Easy hour, 5.6m @ 10:36, avg HR 142 bmp.

Thursday
    REST

Friday
    REST

Saturday
    Park run @ Threshold pace (8:24-8:34) @ 8:22 min/m. This was in range for 3 miles but of course i couldn’t helping myself sprinting the last bit (.1 @ 7:08 min/m) :D

Sunday
    9m long run @ 10:53, avg hr 148 bpm
    Did this on my own and found it tough enough, legs were heavy from the start and i never really settled into enjoying it much. Lots of sinus pressure with the head cold not helping. Nice morning out though, lots of dog walkers about :cool:

Total: 24.7 miles

25/02/2019-03/03/2019

Monday
    Easy hour with 2 sets of 4 strides, HR still very high, lots of sinus pain so no wonder really.
    5.75m @ 10:18, avg hr 156 bpm

Tuesday
    45 min S&C Class, no running.

Wednesday
    4.15m @ 10:41, avg HR 143 bpm

Thursday
    4m @ 10:17, avg HR 141 bpm, first enjoyable run in a week +, good to see the HR returning to normal as well

Started OTC sinus tablets and nasal spray today, finally some bit of relief, should have got them sooner. February ended on less mileage than the same month last year, that's two months in a row now with a drop in mileage, bad start to 2019 :(

Friday
    2.2m @ 11:33, avg HR 142,so much for the HR returning to normal :pac:

Saturday
    10k race @ 8:01 min/m average pace, watch time 50:05, chip time 50:04. Avg HR 175 bpm (not accurate, apparently my heart stopped briefly at 41 mins and was reading well below average for the remaining - i think the rain effected it)

Splits: 7:59, 8:18, 8:04, 8:16, 7:58, 7:45, 7:03 (.25)

Couple of miles w/u, c/d also.

Sunday
    Rest

Total: 25 miles

10k Race
    Only six weeks since my last race, 8k, my time from that race gave me 51:59 (McMillan) and 52:xx (Tin Man). During the week when we were having lovely Spring weather i set my sights firmly on 51:xx and hoped my sinuses would be improved sufficiently by Saturday. Thankfully i woke up Friday feeling well for the first morning in 2 full weeks, good timing, yay :)

If i'm honest any time goal was very loose, what i really wanted and really needed was to run well. I read Swashbuckler's report from last week a few times this past week and was really inspired by it (thanks P :)). I've had a few pretty poor months to be honest and confidence is rock bottom. So with 6 sort of ok-ish weeks behind me i knew i'd be really happy to keep the head and not let the demons get to me - "an honest effort" that was my mantra for the day. If i could do that then i knew i'd get an honest result that i'd be happy with.

So the race, well my warm up was a complete waste of time, i was cold and wet to the bone by the time i started running. I don't have a break down of the miles, i missed every single mile split which is very unusual and i didn't notice too many of the KM race markers either. It was strange not to spend the whole race doing math which i what i usually do, adding splits and trying to work what i need to do to finish in x.

I remember 3 instances where i glanced at the watch, the first (which i think must have been mile 2), i saw my pace was 8:21, i was slightly disappointed but at the time it was taking all my effort just to stay on the road and not be blown into a field :eek:

The second and third times i glanced all i saw was my HR and it read 176 & 179 respectively, confirmation that i was working.

Shortly after half-way, about 5.5 km in, we got some very welcome respite from the crazy wind. This was perfect timing as it is of course when the demons usually start to get a hold. But there were still some tough hills, more floods and more wind to make for a very mixed for the last 4 km.

Overall not all bad we did get the wind behind us at times and there were some down hills (i'm sure i just can't quite remember them :pac:) but for now it was most definitely the toughest conditions i've ever raced in. I was wet to my knickers and had muck up to my knees by the end but i have to say i was just so so happy with how i ran it and a day later i'm still happy.

My time was the icing on the cake. Those 4 seconds don't even bother me, had i known i was that close to 50 maybe i would have found them somewhere i don't know but it wasn't what the day was about, i've broken 50 already, yesterday was about an honest effort for an honest result and about finding myself again and putting the last four months of hit n miss training, injury and sickness firmly behind me.

Thanks for reading this far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done, great to see some positivity for you after a few ropey months. Long may it continue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Fantastic racing in such dreadful conditions. Well done! I think the result shows it’s coming right for you. I also think that by running races where a PB is maybe out of reach for whatever reason might teach us to race a bit better.

I suffer terribly from sinus too. Does running help? It does for me when they’re not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great stuff E. That's a race report like none I've seen from you before and I'm glad to see it. No torturing yourself with mental mathematics during the race. You only glanced at your watch three times. Great to see. A good honest effort. I know what you mean with confidence being low. That'll come back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a cracking race report and it's great to see you happy with the performance. Tough conditions yesterday and sounds like a tough course, so it must be extra pleasing to put in a good performance in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great race ariana, and on a tough course with rotten weather. That's a super result, hope it's given you a good confidence boost now

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

My time was the icing on the cake. Those 4 seconds don't even bother me, had i known i was that close to 50 maybe i would have found them somewhere i don't know but it wasn't what the day was about, i've broken 50 already, yesterday was about an honest effort for an honest result and about finding myself again and putting the last four months of hit n miss training, injury and sickness firmly behind me.

I loved reading this last paragraph!
    Great running yesterday on a really tough day and after a crappy few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done! Did I forget this race or have you been keeping quiet about it? Hope you are enjoying a nice recovery evening...of alcohol and chocolate! :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done, great to see some positivity for you after a few ropey months. Long may it continue for you.

Thanks B.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Fantastic racing in such dreadful conditions. Well done! I think the result shows it’s coming right for you. I also think that by running races where a PB is maybe out of reach for whatever reason might teach us to race a bit better.

I suffer terribly from sinus too. Does running help? It does for me when they’re not too bad.

Thanks E. I was thinking the same, the pressure was definitely lifted as I'm not in PB shape and then with the conditions on the day... I never realised i struggled with pressure but I'm rethinking that now for sure.

Same re sinus, it helps when they're not too bad. But when it gets to that stage where you want to tear your hair out and you feel like every tooth in your mouth is rotten then drugs are required :cool:
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done!

Thank you.
    Great stuff E. That's a race report like none I've seen from you before and I'm glad to see it. No torturing yourself with mental mathematics during the race. You only glanced at your watch three times. Great to see. A good honest effort. I know what you mean with confidence being low. That'll come back too.

Thanks P. I really enjoyed it in a way and yeah hopefully confidence will only go one from here! You're on the up too which is great to see :)
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's a cracking race report and it's great to see you happy with the performance. Tough conditions yesterday and sounds like a tough course, so it must be extra pleasing to put in a good performance in those circumstances.

In reality the course probably wasn't the worst, undulating i suppose is the word for it! Conditions were woeful but i think that took the pressure off. It got to a point where there was a strange kid-like sense of joy in running through giant mucky puddles - Peppa & George would've loved it :D
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great race ariana, and on a tough course with rotten weather. That's a super result, hope it's given you a good confidence boost now

Absolutely, thanks. And delighted to see you had a super run and a podium finish - brilliant!
    I loved reading this last paragraph!
    Great running yesterday on a really tough day and after a crappy few months

Thank you!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done! Did I forget this race or have you been keeping quiet about it? Hope you are enjoying a nice recovery evening...of alcohol and chocolate! :)

Thanks S. I mentioned it a few weeks back but it wasn't a target race. I was was going to be there supporting so signed up to kill an hour while i was waiting around for the half & full runners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Nice race E, well done

Fantastic!! This is brilliant to see, I'm delighted for you. Suggests you're in much better shape than those calculators (or even yourself?) thought. A gutsy run on a tough day weather wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Well done E, you've been v unlucky the last couple of months. Hopefully that performance in those conditions gets your confidence back to where it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done on a great race in such horrible conditions. Keep that positively with you going forward, great to see things improving for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congratulations again, and especially well done in the conditions :), did not realise about that just looking on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I haven’t been on Boards so didn’t get to comment on the report but it’s a great read and very well done again. You are back :-)

eyrie wrote: »
    Fantastic!! This is brilliant to see, I'm delighted for you. Suggests you're in much better shape than those calculators (or even yourself?) thought. A gutsy run on a tough day weather wise too.

I was hoping so deep down but a bit afraid to get my hopes up at the same time. If only i could inject some self belief into myself :pac: but races like this one help :)
    Lazare wrote: »
    Well done E, you've been v unlucky the last couple of months. Hopefully that performance in those conditions gets your confidence back to where it should be.

Definitely a big boost thanks :)
    Younganne wrote: »
    well done on a great race in such horrible conditions. Keep that positively with you going forward, great to see things improving for you.

Thanks A. And likewise good to see you on the up too.
    Congratulations again, and especially well done in the conditions :), did not realise about that just looking on Strava.

Cheers M. There's been a few tough races with the weather this past week or so.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I haven’t been on Boards so didn’t get to comment on the report but it’s a great read and very well done again. You are back :-)

Cheers K :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hallllo! You mentioned LT testing on my log - I'd love to hear more about it if you'd the time/inclination!

Advertisement