Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hallllo! You mentioned LT testing on my log - I'd love to hear more about it if you'd the time/inclination!

No bother. I did the test on a treadmill. Following a warm-up I did 8 x 3 mins at increasing paces with 60 seconds recovery each time. During the recovery a blood sample (pin prick) was taken and my blood lactate level recorded. Also every 1 minute throughout the test my HR was recorded and i was asked to rate how hard i perceived I was working during the last minute of each rep on a scale starting from no effort. The pace for the 1st 3 reps was pre-determined but the remaining reps were determined on the fly. The first rep was my marathon pace (10:10 min/m), next was my HM pace (8:35 min/m) and 3rd was my 10k pace (8:00 min/m). After that the jumps got a lot smaller (obviously or i'd likely have collapsed :D), at this point i actually asked him not to tell me the pace on any further reps (which is now making me think maybe i should try a 5k without the watch :eek:). We kept going until i reached the desired blood lactate level of 7mmols. I got a comprehensive report the next day with the graph of my blood lactate, pace & HR and explaining what it all means in terms of my current training. The paces don't mean much as obviously i won't be training or racing on a treadmill, the HR is more relevant. I hope that answers your question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sounds just about as hard as I imagined. Thanks for the review - appreciate it.

Honestly no harder than the various CV/AP/VO2 sessions on the grads plans. I felt in control throughout and even on the last rep i didn't feel like i wouldn't finish it. I'd say a VO2 Max test wearing that big awkward mask would be a lot more difficult. The science appeals to the nerd in me :o

ariana` wrote: »
    Honestly no harder than the various CV/AP/VO2 sessions on the grads plans. I felt in control throughout and even on the last rep i didn't feel like i wouldn't finish it. I'd say a VO2 Max test wearing that big awkward mask would be a lot more difficult. The science appeals to the nerd in me :o

It appeals to my logical, if not very scientific, mind.

Some catching up to do here.

04/03/2019-10/03/2019

Monday
    No running. Tight left calf and left glute niggling a bit too after the 10k race at the weekend, booked a rub down for lunch-break Tuesday so decided to rest until then rather than risk aggravating it more.

Tuesday
    Lunchtime rub down - as i knew myself tight left calf. Also both glutes very tight resulting in hip hike/drop and leg length discrepancy so all that needed to be rectified. The tight glutes are a symptom of the desk job more than the running but i need to get back into the habit of stretching after my runs and a rub down every 6 weeks.

PM: 60 min S&C Class - last in a block of 10 classes, i’ll have to find another class to replace it.

Wednesday
    5.65 miles @ 9:04 min/m. Really enjoyed this.

Thursday
    2.3 miles @ 11:08 min/m. Short but squeezed into the only gap i could find in the day :rolleyes:

Friday
    45min treadmill run including lactate threshold testing, 8 x 3 mins@ increasing paces. Described in more detail previously.

Saturday
    Legs tired from previous evening’s efforts. Away for the weekend so plenty of cross training: swimming & hiking.

Sunday
    Rest

Total: about 12 miles (not sure exactly as i didn't record all of the treadmill run) - must be a new all time low for me but eh lets just call it a super step back week :P

11/03/2019-17/03/2019
    New week, new approach - switching to hr training and back to metric for 5/10k training.

Monday
    Speed session: 4 x 1k off 2 mins recovery - 8.7k incl w/u & c/d

Big fail on this one. Weather was atrocious, high winds and heavy rain, floods in parts. I forgot to bring my chest strap and unfortunately my wrist watch wasn’t up to the task of measuring HR in those conditions. Never got near required zone. Same happened for the last 3-4km of the 10k race 2 weeks ago so i think i can safely put it down to the watch getting very wet or cold. I completed the session anyhow so i was glad for that and i recorded a 1k PB apparently but i'm skeptical (4:30, 4:43, 4:44, 4:51).

Tuesday
    Nothing thanks to Storm Gareth which battered the West coast all day and night. Sometimes I think a treadmill would be a good investment but realistically i know it'd end up gathering dust :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    A short easy run was all i could squeeze in - 7.5k

Thursday
    Another easy, a bit longer today but still only 50 mins of the planned 60 mins in the right zone - 10.8k

Friday
    25 mins LT - 11.7 km including w/u & c/d

Saturday
    70 mins easy - 12km. In reality i was only in the right zone for 55-60 mins so this was cut short but i was tight for time and travelling the rest of the weekend so went for the something is better than nothing option. Awful weather again too, will it ever end, more flood avoidance measures had to be taken :(

Sunday
    REST

Total: 50 km / 31.5 m

Conclusion: If someone had told me at the start of the year that it would take until mid March to run a 30 mile week i genuinely wouldn’t have believed them but it feels good to have finally hit that milestone again albeit about 2 months later than i'd have liked :cool:

18/03/2019-24/03/2019
    Monday
    Speed session: 6 x 800m - 12k incl w/u & c/d
    Did this in the phoenix park for a change. Found it tough, I never noticed the drag on Chesterfield during the marathon. I actually told myself i was only going to do 5 reps but of course when i came to it i did the 6th. Big variation in the pace but the HR was in the right zone so i have to remind myself that’s the focus.

Tuesday
    One hour easy - 9.6km.

Wednesday
    REST

Thursday
    One hour easy - 7.75k

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    2 hr long run - 20k. Did this as part of a HM which i had entered before Christmas, not as a target race but thinking i'd be fit to give it a good lash all the same, so it didn't work out that way but I really enjoyed this long run on a beautiful morning on very quiet country roads - the type of roads where we even had to stop at one point on a narrow section of road to let a tractor go by :pac:.

Sunday
    45 mins recovery - 7.3k

Total: 57 km / 35 m

Conclusion: I feel like i've a long way to go at the moment and it can be disheartening at times but trying to focus on the positives, I've gained back 6 of the 8 points that Garmin took off my VO2 Max. I know it's not a very accurate measure of actual VO2 Max but the upward trend surely means something. I just need a little patience now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Patience and consistency. Keep stringing those weeks together and you'll come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great to see the update. Are you still working off your own plan? I was interested watching your runs pop up on Strava lately as a lot of them seemed to be a quicker pace, is that down to working off HR as the guide now?
    You've been really unlucky over the last few months with illness etc but as Swashbuckler says a few more weeks like this and I'd say it won't take you long at all to feel like you're back to yourself.

eyrie wrote: »
    Great to see the update. Are you still working off your own plan? I was interested watching your runs pop up on Strava lately as a lot of them seemed to be a quicker pace, is that down to working off HR as the guide now?
    You've been really unlucky over the last few months with illness etc but as Swashbuckler says a few more weeks like this and I'd say it won't take you long at all to feel like you're back to yourself.

Yeah, i'm working off HR & time. I don't actually have any pace fields visible on my watch at all with the exception of on short speed reps where the HR data can't keep up (eg. 400s). I'm giving it 6 weeks anyhow and I'll reassess then. It just seems to make sense to me that the body doesn't understand miles/km, it understands effort on a given day with all the various variables. I'd love to learn to run by feeling the effort myself, that would be the ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's a nice couple of weeks. Hope you can continue the trend, must be hard with a little family to be looking after too!

I dunno if I'd have the patience to be watching heart rate, interested to see how it goes!

Yeah, i'm working off HR & time. I don't actually have any pace fields visible on my watch at all with the exception of on short speed reps where the HR data can't keep up (eg. 400s). I'm giving it 6 weeks anyhow and I'll reassess then. It just seems to make sense to me that the body doesn't understand miles/km, it understands effort on a given day with all the various variables. I'd love to learn to run by feeling the effort myself, that would be the ideal.
    Agreed, that's the dream definitely!

Really interesting that running by HR alone has led to a fair few quicker runs for you, when I did it I had to slow waaaaaay down and it was the total opposite. Suggests your fitness is good!!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    That's a nice couple of weeks. Hope you can continue the trend, must be hard with a little family to be looking after too!

I dunno if I'd have the patience to be watching heart rate, interested to see how it goes!

Interested myself :D

Thanks V. I guess ultimately everybody has 24 hours in the day and everybody has demands on their time whether its family young or old, work, etc, it's all about managing time, i could definitely do better but i will admit i find myself wondering at what age could i realistically trust the oldest one to be left in charge of the younger ones for an hour without me coming home to bloodshed :eek: But there are some really inspirational mammies around these parts at the moment (a certain 2018 grad springs to mind) proving that it can be done :o
    Agreed, that's the dream definitely!

Really interesting that running by HR alone has led to a fair few quicker runs for you, when I did it I had to slow waaaaaay down and it was the total opposite. Suggests your fitness is good!!

I hadn't looked at it like that to be honest. I doubt it though because i am working harder on my easy runs so i'd say my prescribed zone is just higher (relatively speaking of course) than yours was. I suppose even with HR, interpretation is still a factor and the coach setting out the plan will still input their own knowledge/experience on things in the same way that coaches will prescribe different paces for the same effect. Only last night i found myself comparing the FRR paces with RunFastCoach and while i always thought RFC was quite conservative my VO2 Max pace on that calculator is quicker than FRR (based on the same race time). There's no exact science which is i suppose why i'd like to become more proficient at gauging my own effort and understanding the goal of the session(s). As you say that's the dream really.

25/03/2019-31/03/2019
    Monday
    Speed session: 12 x 400m off 75s recovery - 9.6 incl w/u & c/d
    I headed to the running track for this as i wanted to see if i could get a bit of consistency in the reps. I was aiming for 1:51-1:55, the first 10 went like this: 1:51, 48, 49, 48, 49, 51, 49, 49, 51, 50. By the 10th rep I could feel my form slipping so i was trying to decide if i should continue with the last 2 reps or not. In the end i decided to do them but that i’d ease off and focus on form, i did them in reverse just for a mental break. I’m not sure how it happened but they ended up being the quickest @ 1:45 & 1:47. I was a bit puzzled but they felt good, i felt in control with the focus on form rather than speed. Anyhow, overall delighted with this session and the consistency achieved especially on the first 10 reps, it’s funny but i get more of a buzz from the consistency than the pace. I had to cut the c/d short as the juveniles were arriving for their training and i don’t have garda vetting to be on the track at the same time. Looking at the stats afterwards i was hitting zone 3 by the end of each rep so that’s good.

Tuesday
    50 mins easy - 8km, avge hr 152 bpm, avg pace 6:10 min/km.
    Did this before work as my OH was heading off for a couple of nights so i won’t be able get out again until Thurs/Fri. Beautiful morning, a joy to run in it. Legs were heavy from the 400s 12 hours earlier, kept my HR in the easy zone.

Wednesday
    REST

Thursday
    Hubby got home earlier than i expected so squeezed in a 25 mins LT run - Total 8.75km inc w/u.

Friday
    90 mins very easy - 14.6km. Supposed to be easy zone 1 but ended up cheating and running this in the below zone 1. Avg pace 6:19 min/km, avg hr 145 bpm.

Saturday
    Runway 5k. I had no plan for this, i didn’t plan to race it as no taper and very few weeks of decent training behind me but at the same time i couldn’t come up with an alternative plan so i just ran it hard in the end. I was hoping for around 24 mins and the watch beeped 5k at exactly 24 mins, was closer to 24:30 going under the gantry however but that was grand either way it was a decent effort and a nice gentle reminder of what 5k effort feels like. GC tells me i set a new 1m PR of 7:22 which kind of surprised me but when i checked my previous record was 7:23 :pac:

Sunday
    Recovery fun run with the kids - 4.4k in 32 mins.

Total: 51.5km / 32m

Conclusion: Hit ‘n’ miss with respect to the plan, more miss than hit actually, but at least the mileage is building nicely.

01/04/2019-07/04/2019
    Monday
    65 mins very very easy - 10.1km, avg pace 6:24 min/km, avg hr 137 bpm
    Usually speed day but after doing the extra 5k hard effort at the weekend i went with a run a very easy run, hr well below zone 1 so not a prescribed run. Damp nippy evening but nice to be out after a long day in the office.

Tuesday
    w/u, 10mins easy, 30 mins LT, c/d - 11km total.
    This was tough, as it should be i suppose, but enjoyable too. It was my most successful LT run, i stayed in the zone throughout, really very happy with it. I feel like if nothing else i’m learning a bit about the effort of my runs, the first half of the LT had the wind behind me so when i turned the pace naturally dropped with the wind against me to stay in the same HR zone, this is where previously i would probably have tried to maintain the pace resulting in drifting above LT effort. GC gave me a new all time highest VO2 Max after this run. I’m sceptical of the science but it’s always nice to set a new record and it’s specially nice after losing 8 points during Nov/Dec/Jan to be back where i was and actually gone up another point.

Wednesday
    Nothing

Thursday
    Nothing

Friday
    Easy zone 1. 11.95 km incl w/u, average pace 5:43 min/km, avg hr 153 bpm.

Saturday
    Park run in 24:47. 9.6 incl w/u.
    Zone 2 for most of this which was a bit worrying that i couldn’t lift the effort to zone 3 in a race-type scenario! I’m not really very good at suffering at all and this is something i need to work on :(

Sunday
    85 min long run (zone 1), avg pace 6:02 min/k, avg hr 152 bpm.

Total: 56km / 35m

Conclusion: My easy hr zone is significantly quicker than my easy pace used to be so it’s taking some getting used to this new training approach and if i’m honest i’m a small bit nervous of over-doing it as it really is going against everything i’ve learned and preached myself for the past 2-3 years. But i’m going to stick with it for another while. At the moment i’m only doing about 60% of my running in the prescribed zone. But i am happy that the mileage is building nicely and I’m feeling good on it, tired at times no doubt about that but it’s that nicely tired feeling.

08/04/2019-14/04/2019
    Monday
    Very easy hour - 9.1 km @ 6:09 min/km, avg hr 141 bpm. Below zone 1.

Tuesday
    Very easy 7.3km @ 6:35 min/km, avg hr 138 bpm. Below zone 1 again :cool:

Wednesday
    REST

Thursday
    LT run - 11.66km @ 5:45 min/km average pace, avg hr 152 bpm. 30 mins LT.

Friday
    REST

Saturday
    Long run - joined a group run for this so i wasn’t looking at the watch at all just stuck with the group. Result was 18 km @ 6 min/km, avg hr 148 bpm. I was below the desired hr zone for most of this run when i checked afterwards which was mildly disappointing, i think i need to be doing my long run on tired legs to get into the desired zone without having to speed up too much. Still felt like a really great run and i felt strong at the end.

Sunday
    30 mins recovery (below zone 1 yet again but planned this time :pac:) which ended up being about 36 mins, 6km @ 6:06 min/km, avg hr 140 bpm. Actually got another new highest ever VO2 Max reading on this run, strange getting it on a recovery run but i’ll take it - holding on to it will be the problem :p

Total: 52 km / 32m

Conclusion: This week was a bit of a failed attempt at the plan really, most of my runs were below zone 1. Just one of those weeks where i knew from the start it was going to be challenging, i had a lot on in work and out of work and my anxiety levels have been borderline for the past few weeks anyhow so this week i was in danger of tipping over the edge. I took the foot off the gas, ran with people when i could because talking always helps me when i’m feeling close to the brink of a full anxiety attack. Overall delighted to have 5 weeks of base building done, i’m definitely feeling a bit stronger and more positive as a result. My easy runs still seem quick, gosh even my recovery runs seems quick :eek: but maybe if i did the zone 3 run that i was supposed to do this week it would have left me more tired and brought down the pace of the other runs as a result :confused:

Some nice training going on. No doubt it will take a bit of practice to get used to the different style but it will all fall into place, I'm sure, when you get the hang of it.

I wouldn't blame you for struggling to hit Zone 3 outside of a race scenario.

Sorry to hear about the anxiety but it's good to read that you know the signs and what to do to manage it. Think it's something a lot of us on here could relate to, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Keep at it Ariana it will pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Interesting following your plan. What’s next after base building?

I don't know really K, maybe some distance specific stuff or maybe it'll be a continued focus on general strength building. I've no target race until September, a few mini targets, some local 5/10k races.

I'm feeling a lot more positive but still a long way off PB shape - i couldn't run either my 5k or half marathon PBs at the moment. 10k I ran within 8 seconds of it 5 weeks ago so yeah that one is a bit softer and my 8k is soft too so maybe i should target those distances to get some PBs and boost my confidence :P

I race a 10k this weekend actually, i'll be hoping for a small PB there but i'll have to work for it especially if the heat wave that's being talked about actually happens :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in the 10km. Hydrate well beforehand after not being used to the warm weather for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

11/03/2019-17/03/2019
    New week, new approach - switching to hr training and back to metric for 5/10k training.

Ah here, that's hardly necessary.

HR training I'm told is frustrating but once you crack it you'll be flying. I am fairly shocking at keeping my runs easy as per HR.

You'll reap the rewards, just stay patient and all the very best.

aquinn wrote: »
    11/03/2019-17/03/2019

Ah here, that's hardly necessary.

HR training I'm told is frustrating but once you crack it you'll be flying. I am fairly shocking at keeping my runs easy as per HR.

You'll reap the rewards, just stay patient and all the very best.

:pac::pac: I'm enjoying metric actually - those kms clock up awful quick :P

Thanks a. It's funny but i seem to have the opposite problem that most people report having to walk to keep their hr in the easy zone at the start whereas I've had to speed up to hit my easy zone. I have to warm up for easy runs nowadays, go figure :confused: but i'll keep on trundling along for another while anyhow :)

Looks like there's lots to feel encouraged by in there E, improvements are clearly showing already. I hear you on life stress getting in the way, and no doubt it makes the running harder too. Sounds like you took exactly the right approach to dealing with it though!

I'm super curious still about the HR training, mostly because you seem to be having the total opposite experience with it to how I found it when I did it. Are you working of a % of max for your easy zone? If so do you mind me asking what % it is?

Good luck at the weekend!

• Advertisement

Looks like there's lots to feel encouraged by in there E, improvements are clearly showing already. I hear you on life stress getting in the way, and no doubt it makes the running harder too. Sounds like you took exactly the right approach to dealing with it though!

I'm super curious still about the HR training, mostly because you seem to be having the total opposite experience with it to how I found it when I did it. Are you working of a % of max for your easy zone? If so do you mind me asking what % it is?

I was given this before and told it was as accurate as it could be to the real test.

220 (Female)
    - RHR
    =

*.75 zones so 75%/85%/95%
    =
    +RHR

Not complicated at all really :D

This is what I updated mine to recently on Garmin so I think 144 easy/158 presume Tempo/172 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I was given this before and told it was as accurate as it could be to the real test.

220 (Female)
    - RHR
    =

*.75 zones so 75%/85%/95%
    =
    +RHR

Not complicated at all really :D

This is what I updated mine to recently on Garmin so I think 144 easy/158 presume Tempo/172 max.

Lovely! The numbers bit....I adore when it gets to numbers :pac: I had become very interested in seeing what your runs on Strava were based on. It's the Heart Rate Reserve method and it's what I base my paces at too, for recovery and easy runs. After that we begin to differ. I use a Max HR rather than the 220-age as there can be quite a difference and a realistic max HR gives you a better value.

The other thing that surprises me is using the 70% figure as easy. I use 50% as recovery, rarely above 60% for easy, 70% would be moderate/steady, 75% would me MP. I'm definitely more conservative than you on the easy stuff. Maybe it's something I could increase once a week. On higher intensity stuff my numbers would be similar to yours.

Where did you get the zones from? Any research I have done on HRR training has indicated 5 zones. 50-60% for recovery/very easy, 60-70% for easy, 70-80% for moderate, 80-90% for aerobic/hard and 90-100% for maximal effort.

I'd have to hit 150 bpm to hit your target on 75% of HRR for any easy run. This would have me running at about 7:40 per mile at the moment :eek: No wonder you need a warm up to hit it.

Well isn't that a fook up. My whole post was based on thinking aquinn's reply was from ariana! Gob****e! So I'll wait to hear what zones ariana uses...:pac::pac:

Thanks eyrie!

I don't know my max hr - well i suppose i could take an average of what it peaked at during my last few races or something like that perhaps but i don't wear a chest strap racing so i'm not sure how accurate that would be off my wrist monitor. I'm working of my Lactate Threshold HR.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Lovely! The numbers bit....I adore when it gets to numbers :pac: I had become very interested in seeing what your runs on Strava were based on. It's the Heart Rate Reserve method and it's what I base my paces at too, for recovery and easy runs. After that we begin to differ. I use a Max HR rather than the 220-age as there can be quite a difference and a realistic max HR gives you a better value.

The other thing that surprises me is using the 70% figure as easy. I use 50% as recovery, rarely above 60% for easy, 70% would be moderate/steady, 75% would me MP. I'm definitely more conservative than you on the easy stuff. Maybe it's something I could increase once a week. On higher intensity stuff my numbers would be similar to yours.

Where did you get the zones from? Any research I have done on HRR training has indicated 5 zones. 50-60% for recovery/very easy, 60-70% for easy, 70-80% for moderate, 80-90% for aerobic/hard and 90-100% for maximal effort.

I'd have to hit 150 bpm to hit your target on 75% of HRR for any easy run. This would have me running at about 7:40 per mile at the moment :eek: No wonder you need a warm up to hit it.

I'm not sure if that's directed at aquinn or at me but i'll answer what's relevant to me which i think is just the question in bold above - i did a LTHR test on a treadmill with a coach and he prescribed my training zones and training runs based on the results of that test and all the other relevant information which i gave him prior to the test and during that initial session - current training, race history etc. I'm sure i could sit down and do the math to see how my zones slot into the zones that you mention above but i haven't taken the time to do so or actually thought to do so if i'm being honest. I'm pretty sure without doing any calculations that my easy zone is more aggressive than the zone you quote. FWIW i have some doubts when i see the paces of some of my training runs after the fact (i don't look at pace, only HR, during most of my runs) but it's got me my running mojo back after a long period of meh so that's something really positive for me right now and it's something which several failed attempts at starting other popular plans didn't do.

aquinn - i thought i quoted your post too but it seems i didn't. Thanks. I must do the sums you quote and see how they compare to what i'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

:pac::pac: I'm enjoying metric actually - those kms clock up awful quick :P

Thanks a. It's funny but i seem to have the opposite problem that most people report having to walk to keep their hr in the easy zone at the start whereas I've had to speed up to hit my easy zone. I have to warm up for easy runs nowadays, go figure :confused: but i'll keep on trundling along for another while anyhow :)

I find the same E, I have to speed up to get in my easy HR zone a lot, I do find I have to walk to get back in the right zone when I do a cool down.

Haha...yeah as I mentioned above I totally got lost on who the reply was from! Getting the mojo back is most important so go with it. Do you mind if I ask what the target heart rates are for different types of run?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I would always take 65% - 75% as easy, although that's % of max, not HR Reserve (which I never worked out properly so haven't got into). In the HADD training it's simply max HR minus 50 beats, give or take a few, which for me works out roughly the same. So if your max is 195, easy runs would be around 145 and always between 140 and 150. Not sure how that fits with your approach though, and I'm sure there's nothing to be lost by doing them too slowly, the problem for me is generally the opposite!
    Thanks eyrie!

I don't know my max hr - well i suppose i could take an average of what it peaked at during my last few races or something like that perhaps but i don't wear a chest strap racing so i'm not sure how accurate that would be off my wrist monitor. I'm working of my Lactate Threshold HR.
    Ariana that's interesting - I don't know anything about how to relate lacatate threshold HR to the rest so I'll just go back to watching/reading with interest tongue.png Seems to be suiting you anyway

I would always take 65% - 75% as easy, although that's % of max, not HR Reserve (which I never worked out properly so haven't got into). In the HADD training it's simply max HR minus 50 beats, give or take a few, which for me works out roughly the same. So if your max is 195, easy runs would be around 145 and always between 140 and 150. Not sure how that fits with your approach though, and I'm sure there's nothing to be lost by doing them too slowly, the problem for me is generally the opposite!

Ariana that's interesting - I don't know anything about how to relate lacatate threshold HR to the rest so I'll just go back to watching/reading with interest tongue.png Seems to be suiting you anyway

I'm sure it is possible to equate LTHR to Max HR but i don't know off-hand either.

I'd be interested to read up more on HADD and also Matt Fitzgerald (the 80/20 guy?) who Murph_D is following i think.

I'm sure it is possible to equate LTHR to Max HR but i don't know off-hand either.

I'd be interested to read up more on HADD and also Matt Fitzgerald (the 80/20 guy?) who Murph_D is following i think.

Do you still have the one I previously posted on HADD? I can repost if you want.

My Garmin zones are based on reserve I think as I input my max (turns out you don't update it after one race so I reverted to my MSB max HR and not the GIR) and resting HR.

• Advertisement

Do you still have the one I previously posted on HADD? I can repost if you want.

My Garmin zones are based on reserve I think as I input my max (turns out you don't update it after one race so I reverted to my MSB max HR and not the GIR) and resting HR.

I do actually still have it now that you mention it! I got half-way through it at the time but must give it a go again.

Advertisement