Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

A bit behind again, these 2 weeks were both a bit hit 'n' miss with the kids' school holidays, Easter festivities and two big milestone birthdays in the family.

15.04.2019-21.04.2019
    Monday
    30 mins zone 1
    Total: 9km @ 5:48 min/k, avg hr 151 bpm.

Tuesday
    6 x 1 mins zone 3, off 2 mins recovery
    Total: 9.7km @ 5:58 min/k, avg hr 155bpm
    Intervals: 4:04, 4:30, 3:53, 4:08, 4:10, 4:02

Wednesday
    Onset of a headcold - rest

Thursday
    Very easy (no zone)
    Total: 6.6km @ 6:39 min/km, avg hr 139 bpm

Friday
    Rest

Saturday
    10k race. Head cold much better but this was still very very much a meh kind of run/race which exposed a lack of endurance at race pace. I ran the first half in 24:30 ish and then nearly died in the second half to struggle home in 51:1x, a good 2 minutes slower than i hoped for. I can't completely blame the head cold but it was a factor as HR was high even on the w/u. But there were other factors, including a lack of training. Things are improving - the mileage, the consistency, the base stuff is coming on a lot but i haven't done much speedier stuff. Also i don't think i know how to race 10k yet, i haven't done one yet where I've been happy with the pacing - more practice required :P. Strategy for the next 10k is 25:30-26:00 for the first 5k and take it from there.

10k @ 5:07 min/km, avg hr 171 bpm (max 190 bpm).
    Splits: 4:52, 4:47, 4:50, 4:57, 5:02, 5:16, 5:15, 5:19, 5:28, 5:26 (.02 @ 3:36)

Total: 37.4km / 23 miles

22.04.2019-28.04.2019

Monday
    Very easy/recovery (no zone!)
    10.9km @ 6:35 min/km, avg hr 146 bpm.

Tuesday
    45 mins zone 1
    Total: 12km @ 5:56 min/km, avg hr 149 bpm

Wednesday
    Usual rest day

Thursday
    30 mins zone 1
    Total: 10.4km @ 5:50 min/km, avg hr 149 bpm.

Friday
    35 mins zone 2
    14.65km @ 5:35 min/km, avg hr 158 bpm.

Saturday/Sunday
    A lot of family commitments and no chance to run :(

Total: 48 km / 30 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning

Your still getting a nice bit of mileage in !

I see what you mean on tenk strategy - all of my tenk go like that - solid first 5k then a massive struggle to finish .

I have a race on Sunday and I checked out my stats from the last years on the same race - I’ve made the same mistake 3 times ! Almost identical to what you described.

So this year I’m trying for a slow start to see how that works out . Can’t go too slow though because of a stupid mountain at 8k!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Morning

Your still getting a nice bit of mileage in !

I see what you mean on tenk strategy - all of my tenk go like that - solid first 5k then a massive struggle to finish .

I have a race on Sunday and I checked out my stats from the last years on the same race - I’ve made the same mistake 3 times ! Almost identical to what you described.

So this year I’m trying for a slow start to see how that works out . Can’t go too slow though because of a stupid mountain at 8k!

There has to be a better way, right! I typically only do 1 per year and it's not enough. I go out at 5k effort and in fairness it's twice the distance - will i ever learn! I'm determined i'll get it right before this year is out. I was looking back over some races from 2017/2018 and i've had at least one race at every other distance from 5k to marathon where i was really really happy with how i paced it, the 10k has eluded me but i'll get it right yet :D

Best of luck on Sunday, i hope it works out for you, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    There has to be a better way, right! I typically only do 1 per year and it's not enough. I go out at 5k effort and in fairness it's twice the distance - will i ever learn! I'm determined i'll get it right before this year is out. I was looking back over some races from 2017/2018 and i've had at least one race at every other distance from 5k to marathon where i was really really happy with how i paced it, the 10k has eluded me but i'll get it right yet :D

Best of luck on Sunday, i hope it works out for you, let us know how you get on.
    I'm the same as you, perennially baffled by the 10k! Or actually it's more a case of just avoiding them generally, think I've only ever done two. In theory it's my main goal for this year, but... I still haven't signed up for any :pac:
    Always seems like the hardest distance to get right though. Like you say the inclination is to go out as is if it's much like a 5k, but it's twice as long!
    We probably just need a lot more practice in fairness. Sounds like you've got a solid strategy for the next one anyway! When's it going to be? ;)

29.04.2019-05.05.2019
    Monday
    Speed intervals (by HR)
    3 x 1km (4:39, 4:47, 5:00) + 4 x 130m (4:21, 4:19, 4:21, 4:19)
    Total: 11.45km @ @ 5:56 min/km, avg hr 151, max 173.

Tuesday
    Very Easy
    Total: 10k @ 6:16 min/km, avg hr 141 bpm

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Very Easy
    Total: 10.15 km @ 6:09 min/km, avg hr 141 bpm

Friday
    LT (5:08, 5:07, 5:15, 5:14)
    Total: 9.8 km

Saturday
    LR
    Total: 16.1km @ 5:58 min/km, avg hr 145 bpm.

Sunday
    Rest

Total: 57 km / 36 ish miles

6.05.2019-12.05.2019

Monday
    Tempo run
    Tempo paces: 5:33, 5:19, 5:29, 5:28, 5:30, 5:27, 5:31, 5:37, 5:24
    Total: 12km, avg hr 153 bpm

Tuesday
    Very Easy
    Total: 9km @ 6:47 min/km, avg hr 134 bpm

Wednesday
    Easy with 4 strides (4:26, 4:03, 4:09, 4:10)
    Total: 7.3km @ 6:02 min/km, avg hr 147 bpm

Thursday
    Rest

Friday
    Speed intervals (by pace)
    8 x 2min (5:00, 4:53, 4:53, 5:02, 4:54, 4:58, 4:49, 4:45)
    Total: 11km @ 5:55 min/km, avg hr 149 bpm, max 166 bpm (should be hitting 169+ on these if i was doing them by HR, may have to change the pace range which was set to CV pace off the Tinman calc.)

Saturday
    LR - Easy.
    Legs felt heavy on this and the pace felt a tiny bit hot at times but i couldn’t slow the group down. Possibly because i started this run less than 10 hours after finishing previous day's run and was on an empty stomach.
    Total: 16.4 km @ 6:06 min/km, avg hr 147 bpm

Sunday
    Very Easy
    Planned rest day but it was such a lovely day and i found myself at a loose end when all 3 kids headed off to a local football match with daddy. Happy days until i found out afterward he was trying to ring to come and bring the youngest home as he was bored after 10 minutes, ooops!
    Total: 10.5km @ 6:26 min/km, avg hr 138 bpm

Total: 66km / 41 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to see your mileage has come right back up to where it was.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great to see your mileage has come right back up to where it was.

Thanks. The 2nd week there was a bit inflated with the unplanned run yesterday but I'll be very happy if i can keep it consistent around 50-55km (30-34m) per week now for a while.

Very solid training there E! Are you enjoying the different approach now that you've been at it a while and had a chance to get a proper feel for it? How do you find it compared to the grads plan stuff?

eyrie wrote: »
    Very solid training there E! Are you enjoying the different approach now that you've been at it a while and had a chance to get a proper feel for it? How do you find it compared to the grads plan stuff?

Hmm you ask tough questions :p

I love tracking HR eyrie. I just find it very interesting but i am starting to mix things up a little bit into some kind of hybrid style.

Where i really see the benefit is LT runs. Looking back at LT sessions i did in the past using pace my hr was drifting into speed zones towards the end of the sessions, i was working too hard to gain the desired LT benefits.

For speed sessions i'm inclined to revert to pace because the lag time with short intervals makes it virtually impossible to use HR. But i'll still be keeping an eye on the HR. I should be hitting zone 3 by the middle-end of the intervals. Last week i did a session using Tinman CV pace and i was in my LTHR zone even at the end of the last rep so i'll change it up (increase the pace and/or duration and/or reduce the recovery) this week and test the waters to see if i can get the HR up a bit into zone 3.

I've introduced some runs that apparently aren't in any zone but i like the very slow stuff, every run was becoming tough with the easy zone prescribed for me. I think i'm slowly getting the balance back.

I'm not really sure if that answers your question, probably more info than you were looking for :pac::pac::pac: but a nice little summary for the purposes of my log anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hmm you ask tough questions :p

I love tracking HR eyrie. I just find it very interesting but i am starting to mix things up a little bit into some kind of hybrid style.

Where i really see the benefit is LT runs. Looking back at LT sessions i did in the past using pace my hr was drifting into speed zones towards the end of the sessions, i was working too hard to gain the desired LT benefits.

For speed sessions i'm inclined to revert to pace because the lag time with short intervals makes it virtually impossible to use HR. But i'll still be keeping an eye on the HR. I should be hitting zone 3 by the middle-end of the intervals. Last week i did a session using Tinman CV pace and i was in my LTHR zone even at the end of the last rep so i'll change it up (increase the pace and/or duration and/or reduce the recovery) this week and test the waters to see if i can get the HR up a bit into zone 3.

I've introduced some runs that apparently aren't in any zone but i like the very slow stuff, every run was becoming tough with the easy zone prescribed for me. I think i'm slowly getting the balance back.

I'm not really sure if that answers your question, probably more info than you were looking for :pac::pac::pac: but a nice little summary for the purposes of my log anyhow :)

It's really interesting, so thanks for taking the time to provide detailed responses.

I found the same when I tried to train exclusively by HR: it's brilliant for easy and LT runs but I wouldn't have the heart (:o) to even attempt it for the shorter/quicker stuff.

Seems like you're really listening to your body and adapting the plan well to suit you.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's really interesting, so thanks for taking the time to provide detailed responses.

I found the same when I tried to train exclusively by HR: it's brilliant for easy and LT runs but I wouldn't have the heart (:o) to even attempt it for the shorter/quicker stuff.

Seems like you're really listening to your body and adapting the plan well to suit you.

I tried a few speed sessions by HR but they were damn hard and i was quitting half way through them and beating myself up afterwards. It's a vicious cycle, the more i quit sessions, the easier it got to quit :o It's a habit i prefer not to get into it. It's never ending learning though honestly who knew putting one foot in front of the other on repeat could be so complicated :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Morning . Your heart rate appears to be getting lower at each intensity .

I also find heart rate tracking very interesting - especially how it can change to reflect monthly cycles . In saying that I use a garmin 235 and it drives me insane as tends to go off the rails a bit either locking to the cadence or deciding I’m kipchoge and thinking I’m barely registering a heart rate at a ten min mile !

Do you use a strap? Have you changed your max heart rate settings? I did change them but I changed them back to default as the aerobic zone seemed silly then ?

Sorry for the questions just curious to see what other people do.

That's really interesting, thanks for answering! I think it has huge value as a method of training (obviously if it's done right, etc). I can imagine it would be particularly beneficial for the LT kind of stuff actually if you know the right zone to aim for (which you do but I don't). Far too easy to let the effort get too high for these kind of runs, and then they're not serving their intended purpose.
    It sounds like it's working for you! Plus as Bluesquare says it's amazing watching your HR get lower for the same pace, really allows you to see the improvement in fitness.
    Oh I don't think it's intended at all for short speed intervals, is it? Maybe some people do use it that way, I'm not sure. I can't imagine how you could!

That's really interesting, thanks for answering! I think it has huge value as a method of training (obviously if it's done right, etc). I can imagine it would be particularly beneficial for the LT kind of stuff actually if you know the right zone to aim for (which you do but I don't). Far too easy to let the effort get too high for these kind of runs, and then they're not serving their intended purpose.
    It sounds like it's working for you! Plus as Bluesquare says it's amazing watching your HR get lower for the same pace, really allows you to see the improvement in fitness.

Oh I don't think it's intended at all for short speed intervals, is it? Maybe some people do use it that way, I'm not sure. I can't imagine how you could!

Probably not!

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Morning . Your heart rate appears to be getting lower at each intensity .

I also find heart rate tracking very interesting - especially how it can change to reflect monthly cycles . In saying that I use a garmin 235 and it drives me insane as tends to go off the rails a bit either locking to the cadence or deciding I’m kipchoge and thinking I’m barely registering a heart rate at a ten min mile !

Do you use a strap? Have you changed your max heart rate settings? I did change them but I changed them back to default as the aerobic zone seemed silly then ?

Sorry for the questions just curious to see what other people do.

I was using a 235 and recently upgraded to the 245. I use a chest strap for most runs but honestly i found the wrist monitor pretty consistent except in particularly bad weather conditions where it got very very wet.

I don't actually know my Max HR, though i have a rough idea, my zones are based on my LTHR which i do know.

Yes, i think there is a noticeable drop in like for like runs. It'd be nice to see this improved fitness in more tangible race results too of course but i think i need to practice being in the pain cave a little more for them to come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Out of curiosity how often does LTHR need to be retested as your HR at different intensity levels changes? Or is it recalculated based on the numbers you are producing on runs?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how often does LTHR need to be retested as your HR at different intensity levels changes? Or is it recalculated based on the numbers you are producing on runs?
    Retest every 6 months is recommended S.

13.05.2019-19.05.2019
    Monday
    Speed intervals
    6 x 3 mins off 2 mins rec (4:55, 4:56, 4:40, 4:53, 4:47, 4:47)
    Total: 8.4km @ 5:40 min/km, avg hr 153, max 170

Tuesday
    Easy hour
    Total: 9.6k @ 6:17 min/km, avg hr 143, max 153

Wednesday
    REST

Thursday
    LT Intervals (3 x 12 mins off 2 mins recovery)
    5:09, 5:06, 5:05 (350m)
    5:07, 5:12, 5:04 (330m)
    5:06, 5:10, 5:05 (340m)
    Total: 12.6km @ 5:39 min/km, avg hr 157, max 169.

Really enjoyed this one and was perfectly placed in the hr zone for all the LT work.

Friday
    Easy hour
    Total: 9.7km @ 6:25 min/km, avg hr 141, max 151

Saturday
    Too hungover to tackle a long run but eventually i dragged myself out in the evening for just shy of an hour. A bit ad hoc but i threw in 6 x 1 min VO2 max just to make it interesting (4:25, 4:18, 4:28, 4:19, 4:33, 4:16) - the last 2 were merged with little/no recovery because i messed up the workout, i missed the end of the 5th rep and then in a panic i hit the lap button which skipped the recovery :rolleyes:
    Total: 9.3km @ 6:06 min/km, avg hr 138, max 164.

Sunday
    Extra easy
    Total: 5k @ 7:20 min/km, avg hr 127, max 138.

Total: 55km / 34 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck in your 5k tonight!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Good luck in your 5k tonight!

Thank you. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited :D Expectations are middling, a PB would be a shocker but i'd be over the moon, realistically i'd be very very happy with a course pb. When the going gets tough i'm hoping to take inspiration from your gutsy performances of late:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote:
    Thank you. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited Expectations are middling, a PB would be a shocker but i'd be over the moon, realistically i'd be very very happy with a course pb. When the going gets tough i'm hoping to take inspiration from your gutsy performances of late

I'm very interested to see how it goes after your change up in training. You've been really patient with it so I hope you do get a pleasant surprise! Is it one of the Galway 5k series races?? My bro and his wife have been doing them so far, seem well organised.

Thank you. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited :D Expectations are middling, a PB would be a shocker but i'd be over the moon, realistically i'd be very very happy with a course pb. When the going gets tough i'm hoping to take inspiration from your gutsy performances of late:)

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of Luck E

Good luck tonight E! Hope it goes brilliantly :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm very interested to see how it goes after your change up in training. You've been really patient with it so I hope you do get a pleasant surprise! Is it one of the Galway 5k series races?? My bro and his wife have been doing them so far, seem well organised.
    No, it's actually quite hard to get entry to that series though i haven't actually tried, i believe it sells out in a matter of minutes when it becomes available. But i hear it's a great event. Thanks.
    Good luck :)
    Thanks E.
    Best of Luck E
    Cheers P.

Good luck tonight E! Hope it goes brilliantly :)

Me too :D Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Best of luck E :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Have a great run Ariana remember Think strong, Be strong, Finish Strong :D

I hope it cools down its so humid out

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the best wishes.

I'm not much for race reports but i'll attempt something :)

I wasn't sure what to expect (i think that is pretty much my standard first line to all my race reports at this stage :pac:). Some stats first off, 5k PB stands at 23:33 from last Summer, Course PB was 24:10 also from last Summer. I ran a 50 min 10k in early March but i followed that up with a 51:1x 10k in late April. That 10k threw me to be honest, prior to that race i felt things were coming back together but that caused a mini spiral of self doubt. But between the jigs and the reels deep down i still felt confident of a course pb at least and i wasn't going to rule out a pb either - sure you never know :D

I had a real strong feeling of excitement in the lead up to this race, nerves too of course but the excitement was something i'd forgotten about! I actually love racing. I love race day. Yes, it's nerve wracking as hell but i love it :D

As usual after a day at work, i got home around 5:45 and threw together a really quick pasta dinner while chatting to the kids about their day. Sitting down eating dinner while reading messages from Lazare and Skyblue saying they were parked up and ready to meet for their wam up! This caused a mini-panic considering their race was on at the same time as mine albeit at the other side of the country, should i be eating this late :eek: Anyhow, quick change into the running kit and and goodbyes to the kids (my 3 yr told me - "i hope you win", i said "i do too" :)). Got registered, said a few hellos, a very short warm-up (need to improve on this), a last trip to the loo, feeling good, ready for this :)

And off we went. The start is a quick one, only 150 odd runners but it still felt congested. A couple of very enthusiastic kids jumped out in front of me but it all settled reasonably quick. The first km has some drags but is net downhill and nice to get into the zone. I was feeling good running well, not in pain yet. Clocked in at 4:31.

The 2nd & 3rd kms are both nice, flat & quick. Along here i remember passing 2 runners and both times the runner came back alongside me again but i pulled away and didn't see them again, nice feeling. Other than those 2 runners I was on my own along here but i had sight of a biggish bunch up ahead and during the 3rd km i was closing on them. (splits for these were 4:38 & 4:40)

3k marks the start of a 700m climb! At the start of this i had just closed in on 4 runners who were hanging off the back of the group i had been closing in on. I gradually over took 3 of these 4 runners during the steady climb while 1 female pulled away. I wasn't looking at splits here but passing and not being passed was keeping my spirits up. I was however slightly disappointed to see the watch show 5:1x at the 4k marker, i had really been hoping to be more in the region of 5:05 on this k. (km4 - 5:13)

The last km levels out a bit again and along here i just picked up the pace and picked off a few runners as i went. I wasn't passed at all. (4:36 & 3:21 for the extra 30m).

Chip time gave me 23:44 and a course pb of 26 seconds.

Immediate reaction:Delighted with this, i knew a pb was a very very long shot on this course so was pleasantly surprised to see my average pace was actually the same as my pb pace so not far off at all, next time :D

Delayed reaction: I'm pretty sure i didn't do it right... for a start I don't recall praying for the pain to end :rolleyes: And secondly reading Kellygirl's fab report today definitely left me feeling that my performance was a little lack luster.

But the beauty of the 5k is i can have another go soon enough again :P

Thanks for reading this far :)

Advertisement