Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff E, that’s a great performance & nice confidence boost heading towards the summers racing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the best wishes.

I'm not much for race reports but i'll attempt something :)

Chip time gave me 23:44 and a course pb of 26 seconds.

Immediate reaction:Delighted with this, i knew a pb was a very very long shot on this course so was pleasantly surprised to see my average pace was actually the same as my pb pace so not far off at all, next time :D

Delayed reaction: I'm pretty sure i didn't do it right... for a start I don't recall praying for the pain to end :rolleyes: And secondly reading Kellygirl's fab report today definitely left me feeling that my performance was a little lack luster.

But the beauty of the 5k is i can have another go soon enough again :P

Thanks for reading this far :)

No problem E, and well done on the course PB. Love the positive thinking regarding there being more 5ks to take on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You did brilliantly. It was one thing after another for you for a while and you needed a nice enjoyable race with a great result at the end too. Don’t compare yourself to others as we are all in different places. I’ve had a nice steady few months with races to build on so it was ok for me to give me my all last night - it wasn’t enjoyable though and you needed the enjoyment of racing and the buzz of passing people etc. I’m delighted to see you back on track.

Edited to add I;m not saying you didn’t give it your all - ‘your all’ means different things on different days.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Well done E, isn’t that a great feeling that you didn’t give it your all yet you still ran very close to your PB! Can’t wait to see want you do at the next 5k

Edit! I’m not saying to didn’t give it your all either :D just that it must feel good that you ran a great race, got a great time enjoyed it and still weren’t keeling over at the end, like I would be at that pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

well done E, sounds like you really enjoyed it and getting a course PB well done

more to come for sure and I hope it gave you a nice confidience boost you deserve things to go your way now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    Delayed reaction: I'm pretty sure i didn't do it right... for a start I don't recall praying for the pain to end And secondly reading Kellygirl's fab report today definitely left me feeling that my performance was a little lack luster.

It's unlike you to be so hard on yourself ;););)

I don't agree. No point comparing but if you insist, K is fairly race hardened with recent efforts. Give yourself a chance to tune up a bit. Doing vo2max session pain does not fully prepare you for 5k race pain. Aggression comes with confidence. Super run. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant, absolutely loved reading this! I know you say your delayed reaction changed your thoughts about it a bit but honestly I think that sounds like exactly the right kind of experience. You got a major course PB, very close to your actual PB, and look how strongly you ran! Sounds like you enjoyed it and you were passing people consistently. I'd say the PB is there for the taking, but absolutely no harm in having a positive experience first to build the confidence. I'm sorry to hear you're second guessing it and I understand what you mean completely, but I for one am delighted for you!
    my 3 yr told me - "i hope you win", i said "i do too" :)
    Awwww!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your time or the fact that you were able to eat a dinner before a 5k!

All joking aside, that was a really strong run from you and a harbinger of things to come over the summer. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great race E! Very strong finish too.
    Would have to agree with the rest, bit of tuning-up and you'll be attacking your PB over the next few months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff E, that’s a great performance & nice confidence boost heading towards the summers racing!!!

Thank you :)
    No problem E, and well done on the course PB. Love the positive thinking regarding there being more 5ks to take on :)

Thank. Yup feeling strangely positive at the moment, not like me but bring em on :D
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    You did brilliantly. It was one thing after another for you for a while and you needed a nice enjoyable race with a great result at the end too. Don’t compare yourself to others as we are all in different places. I’ve had a nice steady few months with races to build on so it was ok for me to give me my all last night - it wasn’t enjoyable though and you needed the enjoyment of racing and the buzz of passing people etc. I’m delighted to see you back on track.

Edited to add I;m not saying you didn’t give it your all - ‘your all’ means different things on different days.

Thanks K. And yeah i know we're in different places at the mo. I was actually reading the article you linked on your log about over training and it had me checking my RHR for the past while and it was raised significantly from October last year until March this year :eek: Whether it was over-training, work stress, an underlying virus or a combination of factors... Anyhow, it doesn't matter now, it's back to normal since mid-March and things are on the up. Thanks for your kind words and continued encouragement and support.
    Well done E, isn’t that a great feeling that you didn’t give it your all yet you still ran very close to your PB! Can’t wait to see want you do at the next 5k

Edit! I’m not saying to didn’t give it your all either :D just that it must feel good that you ran a great race, got a great time enjoyed it and still weren’t keeling over at the end, like I would be at that pace!

Oh C! And ye think i sell myself short, you could run 2 mins faster than that and then you might be keeling over but that pace would be a walk in the park for you, we need to get you to a 5k soon :P But thanks.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    well done E, sounds like you really enjoyed it and getting a course PB well done

more to come for sure and I hope it gave you a nice confidience boost you deserve things to go your way now :D

Absolutely a confidence boost, thanks N. Things are on the up for both of us now :)
    It's unlike you to be so hard on yourself ;););)

I don't agree. No point comparing but if you insist, K is fairly race hardened with recent efforts. Give yourself a chance to tune up a bit. Doing vo2max session pain does not fully prepare you for 5k race pain. Aggression comes with confidence. Super run. Well done

Thanks P. And absolutely agree, i need more practice to get deep into that pain cave....strangely i'm kind of relishing the idea at the moment :D
    eyrie wrote: »
    Brilliant, absolutely loved reading this! I know you say your delayed reaction changed your thoughts about it a bit but honestly I think that sounds like exactly the right kind of experience. You got a major course PB, very close to your actual PB, and look how strongly you ran! Sounds like you enjoyed it and you were passing people consistently. I'd say the PB is there for the taking, but absolutely no harm in having a positive experience first to build the confidence. I'm sorry to hear you're second guessing it and I understand what you mean completely, but I for one am delighted for you!

Thanks C, means a lot.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your time or the fact that you were able to eat a dinner before a 5k!

All joking aside, that was a really strong run from you and a harbinger of things to come over the summer. Well done!

:pac:

Thanks. And yes hopefully more to come.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great race E! Very strong finish too.
    Would have to agree with the rest, bit of tuning-up and you'll be attacking your PB over the next few months :)

Thank you :)

• Advertisement

Cobwebs gathering here this past while :o

So in the weeks after my last post I pulled off 4 consecutive 5k PBs

28/05/19 - 23:28 (5 second PB)
    04/06/19 - 23:00 (28 second PB)
    11/06/19 - 22:52 (8 second PB)
    18/06/19 - 22:42 (10 second PB)

In total that was 51 second PB from this time last year when i ran 23:33 on the same course as i ran the 22:52 time this year. I was so thrilled to run under 23 minutes, i really didn't expect that result this year, i was quite confident of a PB after the first race (23:44 - report in previous post) but i wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me i'd actually go under 23 minutes and not once but twice, delighted with and definitely the highlight of the year so far.

I think my times show how sometimes it's beneficial to race a lot. It definitely worked for me this time. In hindsight i can see that the first 2 i was easing my way back into the pain cave. And the results from the earlier two races gave me the confidence to really go for it in the last three races. Confidence being one of my big issues i think :o

I also did a 10k on 15/06 in 50:16. 20 seconds slower than my PB on the same course last year but my heart really wasn't in it, i was conscious of doing a 5k again 3 days later and wanting that to be the "main thing". No regrets either, it was worth it :)

My mileage for June was lower than the preceding 3 months but that's the downside of racing a lot. Hopefully July will pick back up closer to where i left off in May.

So what's next? I started a HM plan last week, the lowest mileage plan from Faster Road Racing. It won't be the perfect executive of a plan, at least not the early weeks as I've holidays, a wedding and a couple of other real life things going on but as much as I really relished the 5ks last month, i'm equally enjoying training again and just getting the miles in. My paces are a good bit hotter than previously but i'll keep an eye on HR and RPE as well and pull them back if i need too. The early weeks have only 4 runs per week so plenty of rest days to recover.

Thanks for reading.

Month|Km|Miles
    Jan|156|97
    Feb|172|107
    March|194|121
    Apr|216|134
    May|246|153
    June|188|117

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I've already congratulated you over on Strava, but when you see it all together like that it's really something! The thoughts of even running that many 5k races in such a short space of time, never mind PBing in all of them! :eek: Amazing. I wonder if there's something to be said for giving the distance a solid bash like that, particularly in terms of building confidence to handle the pain etc. That was my vague intention earlier in the year but it never happened! What do you think, having done it now?

Looking forward to more updates and seeing how you find FRR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bloody brilliant. Have to agree with race practice playing a part, has been working for me this year. I'd actually recommend it to anyone who has struggled with their target races.

Also delighted to have a plan buddy, although I'm a couple weeks ahead of you! The LT sessions are something else!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great few weeks E, well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff! Good luck with the P&L plan. What's your goal for the half?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    And the results from the earlier two races gave me the confidence to really go for it in the last three races. Confidence being one of my big issues i think

Sounds similar to advice from a very very wise ninja.

Is Charleville the half?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Cobwebs gathering here this past while :o

So in the weeks after my last post I pulled off 4 consecutive 5k PBs

In total that was 51 second PB from this time last year when i ran 23:33 on the same course as i ran the 22:52 time this year. I was so thrilled to run under 23 minutes, i really didn't expect that result this year, i was quite confident of a PB after the first race (23:44 - report in previous post) but i wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me i'd actually go under 23 minutes and not once but twice, delighted with and definitely the highlight of the year so far.

I think my times show how sometimes it's beneficial to race a lot. It definitely worked for me this time. In hindsight i can see that the first 2 i was easing my way back into the pain cave. And the results from the earlier two races gave me the confidence to really go for it in the last three races. Confidence being one of my big issues i think :o

I also did a 10k on 15/06 in 50:16. 20 seconds slower than my PB on the same course last year but my heart really wasn't in it, i was conscious of doing a 5k again 3 days later and wanting that to be the "main thing". No regrets either, it was worth it :)

My mileage for June was lower than the preceding 3 months but that's the downside of racing a lot. Hopefully July will pick back up closer to where i left off in May.

So what's next? I started a HM plan last week, the lowest mileage plan from Faster Road Racing. It won't be the perfect executive of a plan, at least not the early weeks as I've holidays, a wedding and a couple of other real life things going on but as much as I really relished the 5ks last month, i'm equally enjoying training again and just getting the miles in. My paces are a good bit hotter than previously but i'll keep an eye on HR and RPE as well and pull them back if i need too. The early weeks have only 4 runs per week so plenty of rest days to recover.

Thanks for reading.

Month|Km|Miles
    Jan|156|97
    Feb|172|107
    March|194|121
    Apr|216|134
    May|246|153
    June|188|117

I know I’ve congratulated you already but it is very cool to see it all written out like that so congrats again on a superb few weeks. The whole 5 weeks of your race series were brilliant. That’s an incredible 5km time to be at now. Good luck with the paces for the HM training!! Sure you’ll be well able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I really enjoy this log, I have to say. I was hoping you'd post something on your recent spate of PBs. The series of 5ks is a great idea. You're doing really well. It's a delight to see. Good luck with FRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yay so happy to see you logging again :)

Its great seeing those times written down like that great stuff Ariana still delighted for you :D

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great few weeks E, well done again

Thanks D.
    eyrie wrote: »
    I've already congratulated you over on Strava, but when you see it all together like that it's really something! The thoughts of even running that many 5k races in such a short space of time, never mind PBing in all of them! :eek: Amazing. I wonder if there's something to be said for giving the distance a solid bash like that, particularly in terms of building confidence to handle the pain etc. That was my vague intention earlier in the year but it never happened! What do you think, having done it now?

Looking forward to more updates and seeing how you find FRR :)

Definitely I think a few together helped me a lot, confidence makes such a difference when the pain starts and the demons come. Probably have been better again to do every 2nd one, to get the benefit of frequent racing without the tiredness and big drop in training/mileage but to be honest i enjoy them so i find it hard to resist :D
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Bloody brilliant. Have to agree with race practice playing a part, has been working for me this year. I'd actually recommend it to anyone who has struggled with their target races.

Also delighted to have a plan buddy, although I'm a couple weeks ahead of you! The LT sessions are something else!!!

I've only done 1 but yes those LT sessions are tough but what doesn't kill us will make us stronger right :D I was fine last week til i hit a drag and then the pace fell off completely.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Great stuff! Good luck with the P&L plan. What's your goal for the half?

Thanks. Good question. I don't know is the answer. I ran 1:52 last Sept on a different course. There are pacers i believe so it'll be very tempting to run with the 1:50 pacer something i don't often have the opportunity to do but i'll have to wait to see if that's a realistic goal by then. I have the pace but endurance is my weakness.
    Sounds similar to advice from a very very wise ninja.

Is Charleville the half?

The wisest P ;)

Yup, all roads lead to Charleville.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    I know I’ve congratulated you already but it is very cool to see it all written out like that so congrats again on a superb few weeks. The whole 5 weeks of your race series were brilliant. That’s an incredible 5km time to be at now. Good luck with the paces for the HM training!! Sure you’ll be well able.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I really enjoy this log, I have to say. I was hoping you'd post something on your recent spate of PBs. The series of 5ks is a great idea. You're doing really well. It's a delight to see. Good luck with FRR.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Yay so happy to see you logging again :)

Its great seeing those times written down like that great stuff Ariana still delighted for you :D

Thank you very much ladies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Really well done on the PB's E!

I've really gotten a huge kick out of entering races this year and find myself chomping at the bit until the next one comes along. And even if they don't go my way, I'm getting much better at looking for the positives (even if there are none) instead of being all negative about it.

Ach i need to get back to regular logging... if not to provide riveting reading for my followers :P then at least to keep me honest :rolleyes:

Things have changed a bit since the last update. Family stuff means i can no longer do Charleville HM. I strangely wasn't too upset over this. I'm disappointed that i won't get to meet fellow Boardsies there but I'm not in the slightest disappointed about the race itself. This feeling left me questioning my motives for doing it and whether or not my heart was ever in it :confused:

From what i've heard Charleville is up there as one of the fastest HM courses in Ireland so i'm happy enough, relieved even, to save it for sometime when i'm completely invested in racing the distance and possibly looking for a milestone time breakthrough (I see 1:45 in my future ;))

So where does that leave me now :confused: I've gone back to the ole reliable grads plans for now, i think they'll suit me at the moment to get a bit of consistency going again with plenty of easy runs but at the same time i shouldn't be over committed with most days max out at an hour's running.

I'd like to race once a month for the rest of the year to keep things interesting and of course I'd love to chip away at a couple of my PBs but i'll take things as they come. What i really want is to enjoy the process. And maybe i will even end the year feeling strong and in a good position to set the world alight next year :D

I had a huge year last year, PB'ing at every distance from 5k to marathon, this year was probably bound to be a bit of a let down after that but i kind of wish i had anticipated it a little bit :o

Thanks for reading this far.

I'd like to race once a month for the rest of the year to keep things interesting and of course I'd love to chip away at a couple of my PBs but i'll take things as they come.

What sort of distances did you have in mind E? Just planning on mixing it up?

coogy wrote: »
    What sort of distances did you have in mind E? Just planning on mixing it up?

At the moment i've only 2 races identified. But the loose plan is:

August: 8k
    Sept: 10k or 10m (i'm open to suggestions for this)
    Oct: HM
    Nov: 5k/Parkrun
    Dec: One of the many festive themed Jingle Bells/Fat Turkey 5k

I'm trying not to think too far ahead but i'm the type that needs some kind of plan.

Back to logging :)

Week July 15th-21st

Monday: Easy hour
    10.5km @ 6:18 min/km, avg HR 134bpm

Tuesday: 10mins @ moderate pace
    10.10km incl. 10 mins @ 5:40 min/km, avg HR 144bpm

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: 30mins tempo (5:08-5:15 min/k)
    10.5km incl 30 mins tempo (5:20, 5:23, 5:12, 5:10, 5:10, 5:10 (.74)), avg HR 151 bpm

Didn't quite hit the pace for the first 10mins/2km but once i got there i kept it pretty steady. Did this first thing in the morning @ 6am on an empty stomach which i'm not used to for sessions so i'm blaming that for the slow start, also trying to stay relaxed and not wanting to strain on these long tempo segments.

Friday: Easy Hour turned into easy 52 mins
    8.25km @ 6:25min/km, avg HR 139 bpm

Felt quite tired during this so cut it a bit short.

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 1:45 Easy
    17.1km @ 6:11min/km in the p*ssing rain :rolleyes:, avg HR 141 bpm

Total: 56km/35miles.

At the moment i've only 2 races identified. But the loose plan is:

August: 8k
    Sept: 10k or 10m (i'm open to suggestions for this)
    Oct: HM
    Nov: 5k/Parkrun
    Dec: One of the many festive themed Jingle Bells/Fat Turkey 5k

I'm trying not to think too far ahead but i'm the type that needs some kind of plan.

That's a great idea to have something to aim for each month.

It also has just made me just how close we are to DCM 2019!!!! :eek:

coogy wrote: »
    That's a great idea to have something to aim for each month.

It also has just made me just how close we are to DCM 2019!!!! :eek:

It's not far away in some respects but in training terms it is just perfect so don't worry! 12/14 weeks is plenty of time for specific training for anyone (like yourself ) who has been running all year albeit targeting different distances. It'll be grand ;)

Week July 22nd-28th

6.9m @ 9:46 min/m, avg HR 142bpm

A little bit faster than should have been for an easy run but i was with friends and it's always a little harder to keep a rein on the pace, we were chatting all the time though and it didn't feel like an effort at any stage but HR tells a slightly different story of course :cool:

Tuesday: 6 x 2 mins AP Intervals (7:09-7:18)
    6.3m incl. intervals: 7:24, 7:23, 6:52, 7:04, 6:53, 7:22, avg hr 147 bpm

A bit all over the place, 3 too fast and 3 too slow, none in range :(:o

Thursday: 4 x 6 mins threshold (7:48-7:59)
    7.15m incl. intervals: 8:02, 7:53, 7:47, 7:45 avg HR 154 bpm

Enjoyed this one though by the 4th rep the effort was rising to keep in the pace range and i was drifting above my LTHR zone.

Friday: Easy Hour
    5.5 m @ 10:43 min/m, avg hr 136 bpm

Saturday: LR
    13m @ 9:54 min/m, avg hr 140 bpm

Sunday: Rest

Total: 38 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Week July 22nd-28th

6.9m @ 9:46 min/m, avg HR 142bpm

A little bit faster than should have been for an easy run but i was with friends and it's always a little harder to keep a rein on the pace, we were chatting all the time though and it didn't feel like an effort at any stage but HR tells a slightly different story of course :cool:

Tuesday: 6 x 2 mins AP Intervals (7:09-7:18)
    6.3m incl. intervals: 7:24, 7:23, 6:52, 7:04, 6:53, 7:22, avg hr 147 bpm

A bit all over the place, 3 too fast and 3 too slow, none in range :(:o

Thursday: 4 x 6 mins threshold (7:48-7:59)
    7.15m incl. intervals: 8:02, 7:53, 7:47, 7:45 avg HR 154 bpm

Enjoyed this one though by the 4th rep the effort was rising to keep in the pace range and i was drifting above my LTHR zone.

Friday: Easy Hour
    5.5 m @ 10:43 min/m, avg hr 136 bpm

Saturday: LR
    13m @ 9:54 min/m, avg hr 140 bpm

Sunday: Rest

Total: 38 miles

You may have mentioned this before but what are you basing your threshold pace on?

Nice mileage !

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    You may have mentioned this before but what are you basing your threshold pace on?

Nice mileage !

Thanks. My training paces are from the Tinman calculator based on an average of my 3 fastest 5k times which were all run in May/June this year.

Advertisement