Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah that’s a brilliant report. I was dying for you to post it. It’s a great read. Absolutely you could have done it yourself but C and S were amazing and a brilliant support. It’s so nice to have that. We’re a lucky bunch, the 2017 novices, to have each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What a fantastic report :D so happy for you a well deserved result great running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great race E, well done on the pb and fair play to your two helpers. This bit made me laugh. Mad the stuff that can go through your head when working stuff out midrace
    ariana` wrote: »
    At 10 miles Browneyes announced that if we run the last 3 miles at 10min/m pace i'd still get a PB. Cue my train of thought:
    Yay, i can pull back...
    But wait i don't want a PB, i want a 3 min PB (at least) so i need 3 x 9min/m...
    Well then i can still pull back, yay...
    But wait what about the .1, she's forgotten the .1, that's 1:30 extra so i need 3 x 8:30min/m...
    Well i can still pull back a tiny bit, right?
    But wait the last mile is a climb so i need to bank seconds, so now i need 2 x 8:15 & 1 x 8:45
    Sugar, i can't pull back at all in fact i need to speed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant stuff E. I enjoyed that report very much. Lovely to see the comraderie (spelling?). Fair play to Browneyes and skyblue.

Super running out of you. It's been a long time since you've run that distance and it's a huge ask to go from what you've been doing to a half marathon. That makes the result even more satisfying. Phenomenal.

I also laughed at your mental arithmetic. Haven't I always said it. The watch is a curse. Haha. It'll either make you feel bad or give you an excuse to slow down.

Well done again. Great to see you knocking out a HM like that. What's next?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Great report and brilliant racing E. I’m delighted you got your A goal, I knew you would:) It was lovely running with you and yes of course you would of done it by yourself!
    FYI never trust me with calculations mid race and yes I had forgotten about the .1 :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Fantastic race report- well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Really great report E and congrats on the PB, you ran a great race!

By the way, I think after reading everyone's accounts over the last couple of days, we should really think about a commemorative plaque (or, should I say, several plaques located in various sections of the Park) in honour of S and the incredible amount of ground he covered on Saturday!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yido1882

Great report & performance E. A lot would have settled for any PB on the day, well done for pushing yourself beyond to hit the A goal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That's a super report. I've read it a couple of times now -it just captures brilliantly what is so great about running in general, and this forum in particular. Browneyes and skyblue played wonderful supporting roles and you delivered a hell of a lead performance. Well done again - it's really well deserved and I'm delighted for you. Plenty more to come too I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant racing E and lots of guts too. Once we get you sticking to the racing line there'll be a few more seconds to be gained! :pac:

On the subject of the 2017 novices....yeah we have a really tight group, all the remaining ones who I consider great friends and people who have your back at all times...very special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Well done, great race and great report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to read this at lunch time today. Well deserved and executed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done - great running. Very well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Really enjoyed reading that one E. Super performance by you, and much kudos to Browneyes and Skyblue for supporting! I'm into those mid race calculations as well - got a good laugh here.

Your mentors weren't too bad either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats E - great to meet you at last. :)

Congrats on a terrific PB. Well deserved - you have plenty of strength and discipline.

What was the verdict on the tailwind? Would you invest in a bottle belt next time? Like me, you seem to dislike carrying bottles (especially two of them).

Super running. Some shocking arithmetic though, and not just the km/half mile thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant E; super time! Well deserved after all the hard work you have put it

Sounds like Sean had his long run done on Saturday morning!

It's not very far from the OS/Chesterfield roundabout to any of the places I was spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I was only pulling your leg....but great to see the 2017 Grads still supporting each other.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's not very far from the OS/Chesterfield roundabout to any of the places I was spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the PB - well deserved and well executed.

Loved the Mile 10 Mental conversation - happens to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ah brilliant stuff E, that’s a super result and great new PB. More to come is right!!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Fantastic, well done on the pb and a great report. Your pacers are amazing!

Thank you both.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Ah that’s a brilliant report. I was dying for you to post it. It’s a great read. Absolutely you could have done it yourself but C and S were amazing and a brilliant support. It’s so nice to have that. We’re a lucky bunch, the 2017 novices, to have each other.

Thanks and absolutely, the best are still standing and still supporting each other.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    What a fantastic report :D so happy for you a well deserved result great running :)

Thanks N.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Great race E, well done on the pb and fair play to your two helpers. This bit made me laugh. Mad the stuff that can go through your head when working stuff out midrace

Cheers D.
    Brilliant stuff E. I enjoyed that report very much. Lovely to see the comraderie (spelling?). Fair play to Browneyes and skyblue.

Super running out of you. It's been a long time since you've run that distance and it's a huge ask to go from what you've been doing to a half marathon. That makes the result even more satisfying. Phenomenal.

I also laughed at your mental arithmetic. Haven't I always said it. The watch is a curse. Haha. It'll either make you feel bad or give you an excuse to slow down.

Well done again. Great to see you knocking out a HM like that. What's next?

Thanks P. Hope the young lad is behaving!

Probably a bit of a playing around with plans/approaches now for a few weeks, might give some HR stuff a lash. Hopefully I'll fit in another couple of races before the year is out but I've no target race. And then either 10k or HM in the Spring - i'm open to thoughts on which might benefit me most :confused:
    Great report and brilliant racing E. I’m delighted you got your A goal, I knew you would:) It was lovely running with you and yes of course you would of done it by yourself!
    FYI never trust me with calculations mid race and yes I had forgotten about the .1 :D:D

I knew it :D 'Twas a great day C.
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Fantastic race report- well done
    coogy wrote: »
    Really great report E and congrats on the PB, you ran a great race!

By the way, I think after reading everyone's accounts over the last couple of days, we should really think about a commemorative plaque (or, should I say, several plaques located in various sections of the Park) in honour of S and the incredible amount of ground he covered on Saturday!!
    :D

Thank you both. Lol yes he did get around didn't he!
    yido1882 wrote: »
    Great report & performance E. A lot would have settled for any PB on the day, well done for pushing yourself beyond to hit the A goal

Cheers.
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    That's a super report. I've read it a couple of times now -it just captures brilliantly what is so great about running in general, and this forum in particular. Browneyes and skyblue played wonderful supporting roles and you delivered a hell of a lead performance. Well done again - it's really well deserved and I'm delighted for you. Plenty more to come too I have no doubt.

Thanks A. It was tougher to get than i expected i'll be honest but all the more rewarding for extra effort required.
    Brilliant racing E and lots of guts too. Once we get you sticking to the racing line there'll be a few more seconds to be gained! :pac:

On the subject of the 2017 novices....yeah we have a really tight group, all the remaining ones who I consider great friends and people who have your back at all times...very special.

We're a lucky bunch. I was a bit disappointed with my efforts at sticking to the racing line to be honest, i think that's the longest HM i've run :rolleyes:
    Omeceron wrote: »
    Well done, great race and great report.
    Great to read this at lunch time today. Well deserved and executed. :)
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done - great running. Very well deserved

Cheers all.
    Really enjoyed reading that one E. Super performance by you, and much kudos to Browneyes and Skyblue for supporting! I'm into those mid race calculations as well - got a good laugh here.

Your mentors weren't too bad either :p

Ah yeah, they were all right too :pac: the glue that brought us all together eh!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats E - great to meet you at last. :)

Congrats on a terrific PB. Well deserved - you have plenty of strength and discipline.

What was the verdict on the tailwind? Would you invest in a bottle belt next time? Like me, you seem to dislike carrying bottles (especially two of them).

Super running. Some shocking arithmetic though, and not just the km/half mile thing. ;)

Thank you and it was great to meet you too. I have a Fitbelt so i could try the 320ml Fitbelt bottle. Or perhaps the simplest thing would be to try gels again, they're definitely more straight forward than tailwind. I had a fail using gels in last year's marathon but i had a similar, although not as prolonged, nauseous feeling on Saturday at around 11 miles so it doesn't seem to be directly related to my fuel source. Yes indeed, arithmetic which i would once have considered to be one of my strong suits is definitely no longer.

Thanks C.
    Congrats on the PB - well deserved and well executed.

Loved the Mile 10 Mental conversation - happens to us all!

Thanks A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    Probably a bit of a playing around with plans/approaches now for a few weeks, might give some HR stuff a lash. Hopefully I'll fit in another couple of races before the year is out but I've no target race. And then either 10k or HM in the Spring - i'm open to thoughts on which might benefit me most

Whatever keeps you motivated. I think at this stage all the grads of 2017 have come round to at least some blocks of the shorter stuff.
    ariana` wrote:
    Thank you and it was great to meet you too. I have a Fitbelt so i could try the 320ml Fitbelt bottle. Or perhaps the simplest thing would be to try gels again, they're definitely more straight forward than tailwind. I had a fail using gels in last year's marathon but i had a similar, although not as prolonged, nauseous feeling on Saturday at around 11 miles so it doesn't seem to be directly related to my fuel source. Yes indeed, arithmetic which i would once have considered to be one of my strong suits is definitely no longer.

If it makes you feel any better some people just feel sick when at the tail end of a prolonged hard effort. It's happened me a bunch of times. A few years back I would say I was physically ill after two half marathons (in a nauseous sense). And that was without any gels or anything like that. I dunno if maybe some people just respond in that way.

Whatever keeps you motivated. I think at this stage all the grads of 2017 have come round to at least some blocks of the shorter stuff.

Thanks P. It's going to be another year where i don't go beyond HM anyhow so there's probably time to fit in 5k/10k & another HM! I'll try to identify some races and work backwards perhaps.

If it makes you feel any better some people just feel sick when at the tail end of a prolonged hard effort. It's happened me a bunch of times. A few years back I would say I was physically ill after two half marathons (in a nauseous sense). And that was without any gels or anything like that. I dunno if maybe some people just respond in that way.

It had crossed my mind if the sickness is related to the effort. It happened in the marathon after a fairly extended period working above my threshold. I wasn't above threshold on Saturday until closer to the end but i was hovering just below it for a prolonged period so maybe that did it. It's not a concern for distances of HM or below where fueling on the run is less of a necessity than the marathon. This was the first time i took on fuel during a HM, i ran my previous 3 with just sips of water taken on the course. Maybe it's a case that i'm better off without.

Thanks P. It's going to be another year where i don't go beyond HM anyhow so there's probably time to fit in 5k/10k & another HM! I'll try to identify some races and work backwards perhaps.

That's an early call on DCM '20 :pac:

That's an early call on DCM '20 :pac:

No desire at the moment and the way it sold out last year i'd need to be deciding before October 28th :rolleyes:

No desire at the moment and the way it sold out last year i'd need to be deciding before October 28th :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with an early decision....which is why I might well be online on the 28th :pac:

Nothing wrong with an early decision....which is why I might well be online on the 28th :pac:

Ah deadly S, excited for you! just have no desire myself at the moment but i'm pretty sure i'll do another at some stage :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I read your report the other day E but didn't get a chance to comment.

Delighted for you on a brilliant performance. You deserve every PB you've achieved this year because you've worked for them all.
    Loved the report and I reckon everyone goes through the number calculations in their head during a race, it'd would be very boring if we were just running and enjoying happy thoughts:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

It was lovely to chat to you on Saturday. You're so modest. You put in the hard miles and you got the result you deserved on Saturday. Congrats.

It had crossed my mind if the sickness is related to the effort. It happened in the marathon after a fairly extended period working above my threshold. I wasn't above threshold on Saturday until closer to the end but i was hovering just below it for a prolonged period so maybe that did it. It's not a concern for distances of HM or below where fueling on the run is less of a necessity than the marathon. This was the first time i took on fuel during a HM, i ran my previous 3 with just sips of water taken on the course. Maybe it's a case that i'm better off without.

Nausea is definitely effort related for me, I think. Seems to happen at the same point in races whether I've gelled or not.

Younganne wrote: »
    I read your report the other day E but didn't get a chance to comment.

Delighted for you on a brilliant performance. You deserve every PB you've achieved this year because you've worked for them all.
    Loved the report and I reckon everyone goes through the number calculations in their head during a race, it'd would be very boring if we were just running and enjoying happy thoughts:D:D

Thanks A. Sorry we didn't get to meet there. Next time!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It was lovely to chat to you on Saturday. You're so modest. You put in the hard miles and you got the result you deserved on Saturday. Congrats.

Nausea is definitely effort related for me, I think. Seems to happen at the same point in races whether I've gelled or not.

Thank you, it was lovely to bump into you & V. Maybe it's a good sign we get nausea so, it's a sign of how hard we're working :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Very belatedly getting a chance to read your report E - it's just lovely. I'm delighted you got your A goal and what a super result too, and it's lovely reading about how it all unfolded and the support from the others. A super PB and so deserved after all the great training this year! Well done :)

Advertisement