Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I was going to suggest similar.

1. Run up a large hill. One with a view. Stand at the top and savour that you ran up it. Take in 360 view if you can. Spot a road, a tree, a steeple, a school anything close to a route you run. Next time you run a route close to it, find it. Stop and look back towards the hill and savour that moment you stood on top of it again..

2. A little run with one of your favourite people. If they are not runners, bonus

3. Do a short race with no watch. Run on feel, run free and empty the tank..

4. Run every route you did last week, backwards this week

5. Read one of your own brilliant race reports before a run

Love it ! Great advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Is there anything race or target wise that would motivate you even if its off the wall like some mad trail run or something?

Also do you ever train with people? If you're anything like me you grab the runs when you can and can't really plan ahead that much.
    I was going to suggest similar.

1. Run up a large hill. One with a view. Stand at the top and savour that you ran up it. Take in 360 view if you can. Spot a road, a tree, a steeple, a school anything close to a route you run. Next time you run a route close to it, find it. Stop and look back towards the hill and savour that moment you stood on top of it again..

2. A little run with one of your favourite people. If they are not runners, bonus

3. Do a short race with no watch. Run on feel, run free and empty the tank..

4. Run every route you did last week, backwards this week

5. Read one of your own brilliant race reports before a run

Super tips there, thank you both :)

January 2020 - Week 3

Jan 13th - Jan 19th

Monday: Rest Day.

Tuesday: 10k 'aspirational' pace session: 9.35m incl 4*4' @ 7:45min/m (7:47, 7:46, 7:43, 7:42). Did these off 1' min recovery. Avg hr was 147bpm, max 171bpm.

Wednesday: 5.5m @ 10:04min/m, supposed to be recovery/easy but found it very hard to control in strong winds & hail showers, ended up being a bit harder than it should have, avg hr 144bpm.

Thursday: Easy run: 7.85m @ 10:30min/m, avg hr 134bpm. Really enjoyed this genuinely easy run, felt effortless.

Friday: LT session: 7.1m with 10', 10', 8' @ LT (7:58, 8:07, 7:55). I was slightly disappointed with these splits until i looked at the strava gap equivalent and compared it to the same session 12 days previously, it looked a lot better then.

Saturday: Long run: 9.15m @ 9:26min/m, avg hr 141bpm. Bitterly cold morning but truly beautiful once the sun came up. I gained a VO2 Max pt for this which was a nice little boost.

Sunday: OFF

Total: 38.9m

January 2020 - Week 4

Jan 20th - Jan 26th

Monday: Hills: 8 * 45s hills (8:09, 7:51, 8:03, 8:06, 8:02, 7:39, 7:49, 7:49). 6.6m total, avg hr 141bpm, max 170bpm.

Tuesday: Easy run: 6.75m @ 10:22min/m, avg hr 133bpm, max 150bpm. Lovely run, felt truly easy.

Wednesday: Speed session: 7*3' hard (7:20, 19, 14, 10, 11, 30, 13). 6m total, avg hr 155bpm, max 171bpm. I had no idea what 'hard' would be so i was pleasantly surprised to see the results here as these would be very close to my 5k PB pace (7:17min/m). There's no way i could hold it for 5k but nice to be able hit that pace in a decent session.

Thursday: Long run: 9.5m @ 9:55min/m, avg hr 138bpm, max 153bpm. Loved this one, felt really strong and gained a VO2 Max pt again.

Friday: 5.4m @ 10:18min/m, avg hr 144bpm, a slog, just didn't feel easy but slowing it down just didn't seem to help, just one of those annoying runs that leave me feeling frustrated and questioning my fitness, such a turnaround from yesterday's run. Lost yesterday's VO2 pt again, no surprise there :rolleyes:

Saturday: 3.2m @ 10:37min/m, avg hr 141bpm. Away for the weekend and did this with a friend, chatting along but was a bit soon after lunch and didn't feel as effortless as it should at this pace which was reflected in the HR.

Sunday: REST

Total: 37.5m

I'm reasonably happy with the last 4 weeks building a bit of mileage and throwing in sessions again. Long runs have been conservative as i'm trying to build the various elements gradually but i hope to increase these over the next 4 weeks. Mojo is on the up thankfully, having the odd run that feels like magic is helping with this :)

Super results from Raheny. Reading the reports is definitely giving me a hankering to race :D

I didn't realise i'd let this go as long :o

Jan 27th-Feb 2nd, 37.6 miles, 2 sessions + 10m long run.

Feb 3rd-Feb 9th, 32.4 miles, 2 sessions + 9.5m long run.

Feb 10th-16th, 32.8 miles, 2 sessions + 11m long run.

Feb 17th-23rd, 30.7 miles, 2 sessions + 12m long run.

Feb 24th-March 1st, 0 miles, 1 physio session, 3 cross training sessions later in the week (2 x elliptical, 1 x spinning)

Very sore right knee related to a hamstring problem. Had possibly been ignoring a tight hammer for a while :o

March 2nd - 8th, 18.6 miles, 1 physio session, 1 cross training session.

Pain free but still a bit of residual hamstring tightness. Had a 10k race on the Saturday, went along with no plan, on the line i decided to head off at 50 min pace but probably was more like 49 min pace. I felt good til about 8k when i felt the hammer tightening a bit, pulled back the effort slightly and finished in 49:40. A 16s pb but honestly neither here nor there really :cool:

March 9th-15th, 23.9 miles, 2 cross training sessions.

Trying to build back up but still have some tightness in the hammer. Doing a lot more stretching and strengthening exercises. In light of recent events running seems a bit trivial and more about keeping sane in these strange times than training for races.

Stay safe everyone.

• Advertisement

Nearly another month gone by again.

Trying to build...

March 16-22nd
    5 Runs.
    2 Easy.
    2 Sessions - 1 LT intervals & 1 gentle progression run
    1 Long run - 9.5 miles.
    Total - 30 miles.

March 23-29th (start of lock down)
    5 Runs.
    3 Easy.
    2 Sessions - LT & LT intervals.
    Total - 31 miles.

March 30-April 5th
    6 Runs.
    3 Easy (or very easy).
    1 Session - LT + CV intervals combined
    1 Easy with strides.
    1 Long Run - 9m
    Total - 32.5 miles.

April 6th-12th
    6 Runs.
    3 Easy.
    1 Sessions - LT intervals
    1 Long Run Session - 10m with 5k Tempo
    1 Easy with an attempt at a HR Max test (more on this below)
    Total - 35 miles.

So most of my runs recently (past 12 months or so) have been done by HR or at least with a very close eye on HR. I did an LT test in February last year and have used the results of that test to base my zones on. However recently i feel like i'm stretching on my LTHR runs. I've been blaming the wind and other environmental factors but last week i did a mini max HR test just to see if much had changed. The limiting factor of course is I've never known my max HR. I've seen 190s during races but i've never worn my HRM strap racing so i discounted those readings but i expected it to be in the low 180s. However, the highest i hit on my home made test was 175 which gives me an LT range significantly lower than that which i've been working off from my LT test last year. It seems maybe i've lost fitness over the past year :( Considering the doubts I have around my zones i think i'm going to park HR stuff for a while and go back to training by pace. I'm no where near my 5k PB shape so for now i'll use an arbitrary race time to get paces. I'm starting the FRR base plan. The first 3-4 weeks of the base plan is all aerobic runs, i'll probably add a set of strides a week for each of these early weeks just to get the legs turning over a bit quicker once a week. After the initial few weeks i'll stick more closely to the plan (famous last words perhaps ;)) I'm excited to be back on a plan.

I haven't had as much time to keep up with Boards lately, it seems juggling work with childcare is more demanding than juggling work with my online habits :pac: but I hope everyone is surviving lock down ok. Some of the running going on on Strava is very impressive, i'm in awe of all the running streaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Hope you enjoy the new plan E! And good luck with the balancing act in the meantime - serious respect for anyone managing trying to work at home at the moment with keeping kids occupied 24/7!

eyrie wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy the new plan E! And good luck with the balancing act in the meantime - serious respect for anyone managing trying to work at home at the moment with keeping kids occupied 24/7!

Thanks C on both counts. Things are going good now at home. Lots of people in tougher situations especially those going out to work whom we owe a debt of gratitude too. And I can't help but feel for families with small children living in apartments with little/no indoor or outdoor space, i think mine would drive me demented if i couldn't kick them outside regularly :pac: Aren't we so lucky we can run too, it's such a blessing right now!

Going to try to post more regular updates... famous last words perhaps.

The past 2 weeks were Weeks 2 & 3 from the base plan. Both weeks were the same on the plan but slightly different in execution due to the 5k TT.

Apr 13-19th
    Mon: 6m @ 10:29min/m

Tue: 3.3m @ 9:42min/m

Wed: 5m @ 9:55min/m + 6 * 100m strides

Thurs: Rest

Friday: 6.2m @ 10:00min/m

Saturday: 10.3m, avg pace 9:44min/m, 6m @ 9:50min/m, 3m @ 9:20min/m, 1m 9:50min/m

Sunday: 4.5m @ 9:46min/m

Total: 37m

April 20th-26th

Mon: 6.26m @ 9:48min/m

Tues: 3.2m @ 10:03min/m

Wed: 5.3m : 9:54min/m inc 6 * 100m strides (4 on an incline).

Thurs: Rest

Fri: 5.1m @ 10:11min/m

Sat: 10m incl 5k TT
    5k TT @ 7:22min/m

Sun: Rest

Total: 30m

5k TT
    I genuinely had no idea what to expect here. Ive no specific 5k pace work done recently or anything to give me any indication of form - sessions since Christmas have been LT or basic strides. PB is 22:42 from June 2019 but my most recent park run is 24:05 so i set myself a goal somewhere in between of 23:30. I struggled with a course choice and in the end i went point to point. I have access to a 2.3m loop but 1/2m is along the main road with no hard shoulder. My route was kind on the elevation front, roughly the first 1.5m being net downhill, then 1m of a drag followed by a fast finish. Overall it was net downhill - so i felt i cheated a bit but who goes looking for a hard course to do a 5k TT on, right :p and honestly my choices are so few at the minute, half the roads im confined to lately are bog roads :o I had to cross the main road once but i planned to be out early so hoped that wouldn't be an issue and i was right. Of course i started too fast, looking down in the first 500m to see 6:xx on the watch caused a mild panic but i pulled it back and in the end finished with splits of 7:15, 7:27, 7:28, 6:51 (.11) for a 22:55 finish. I was genuinely surprised and pleased to see 22 on the watch when i stopped it - i may not be speedy but not too bad for an auld wan :p I was hanging at the end but feel this is due to lack of 5k practice, i think my body may have gone into a level of shock at what was being asked of it completely out of the blue like that :eek: I think if i repeated it this week i could knock a few seconds off that and it gives me some confidence that my PB is beatable at some stage :) Anyhow, really enjoyed it and very grateful to B for organising. I was pretty pleased with the updated information regarding Age-grading also - thanks to Murph_D for that - some benefits to being heading over the hill :pac:

Thanks for reading :)

Was good to see you back "racing" again. Well done on a great run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ariana` wrote:
    I was pretty pleased with the updated information regarding Age-grading also - thanks to Murph_D for that - some benefits to being heading over the hill

This had the opposite effect on me :( I should really be doing better for my age :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ReeReeG wrote: »
    This had the opposite effect on me :( I should really be doing better for my age :-/

I liked it...a lot :pac::pac: Swashbuckler lick my sweat!

skyblue46 wrote:
    I liked it...a lot Swashbuckler lick my sweat!

Pays to be an auld lad I guess!

Pays to be an auld lad I guess!

Unfortunately there are lots of better auld lads :o In all seriousness though, while the age grading isn't perfect it does take into account age and gender differences....

skyblue46 wrote:
    Unfortunately there are lots of better auld lads In all seriousness though, while the age grading isn't perfect it does take into account age and gender differences....

Yeah I know. Great run from you regardless! And I know I can and will run quicker... eventually ;)

Also, sorry for hijacking E! Super run from you, really backs up the argument of easy miles building a good foundation. You're in a nice place to build on from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great running on Saturday! So close to your PB so no question that that's beatable as you say. Did the TT give you anything useful in terms of what you were wondering about your max HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nicely done on Saturday E - that PB will fall before too long. You seem to be building nicely, and consistently, over the last while - great to see.

Was good to see you back "racing" again. Well done on a great run

Thanks P. I really enjoyed it. I do love a good "race day" :P

Ah you took a good chunk off your PB (even if it's not official) so i wouldn't be too hard on yourself. It must have been such a buzz to dip under 22 mins, that is definitely a goal of mine :)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are lots of better auld lads :o In all seriousness though, while the age grading isn't perfect it does take into account age and gender differences....

Yeah it's nice to have some way to level the playing field a little - it certainly gave me a wee lift.
    Also, sorry for hijacking E! Super run from you, really backs up the argument of easy miles building a good foundation. You're in a nice place to build on from now.

Thanks. No problem, this log is so neglected it's happy with any attention it gets :D
    eyrie wrote: »
    Great running on Saturday! So close to your PB so no question that that's beatable as you say. Did the TT give you anything useful in terms of what you were wondering about your max HR?

Yeah, it has dropped dramatically in the past year! It was similar enough to the mini max test i did a few weeks back. I read somewhere you can add on 2bpm for a TT but i'm not sure how reliable the source was, either way i'm somewhere mid-high 170s (176-178). For now i'm training off pace, i'll use the 5k TT time for that but habit will have me keeping a close eye on HR as well I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done again E, great running keep up the great work :D

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Nicely done on Saturday E - that PB will fall before too long. You seem to be building nicely, and consistently, over the last while - great to see.

Thanks A. Very gracious in the circumstances - i hope there is some improvement for you :)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done again E, great running keep up the great work :D

Cheers N :)

Well done on the TT - looking forward to seeing your pb fall soon ( I’m borrowing American terminology if I beat my 5k time in lockdown , i will call call my official best time my “PR”)

My max heart rate appears to have dropped dramatically as well . 169 Is the highest it’s got to recently . I thought it was all because of new watch but now wondering is it age as well.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done on the TT - looking forward to seeing your pb fall soon ( I’m borrowing American terminology if I beat my 5k time in lockdown , i will call call my official best time my “PR”)

My max heart rate appears to have dropped dramatically as well . 169 Is the highest it’s got to recently . I thought it was all because of new watch but now wondering is it age as well.

It's more likely the difference between the watches. Max HR drops about a beat or two a year if I remember correctly. It's not a dramatic drop year on year.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's more likely the difference between the watches. Max HR drops about a beat or two a year if I remember correctly. It's not a dramatic drop year on year.

Have to agree with this. I find mine reads lower on the 245 than it did with the 235 - that applies to RHR also.

I recorded the following max readings at the end of races from June-Oct 2019: 183, 190, 183, 180, 184. So now it seems I can't get above 176. The caveat is that I've never worn the chest strap in races, those readings were all from the 245 so i can possibly/probably discount those readings as unreliable. I expect my actual max right now is somewhere in the range 176-178, possibly up to 180 at a stretch. When i get to race again i'll wear the chest strap to get confirmation. In the meantime I have enough solid information to train with, i'm not training specifically by HR anyhow i just find it an interesting metric :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. I find mine reads lower on the 245 than it did with the 235 - that applies to RHR also.

I recorded the following max readings at the end of races from June-Oct 2019: 183, 190, 183, 180, 184. So now it seems I can't get above 176. The caveat is that I've never worn the chest strap in races, those readings were all from the 245 so i can possibly/probably discount those readings as unreliable. I expect my actual max right now is somewhere in the range 176-178, possibly up to 180 at a stretch. When i get to race again i'll wear the chest strap to get confirmation. In the meantime I have enough solid information to train with, i'm not training specifically by HR anyhow i just find it an interesting metric :)

My max on the 235 was 201 and now the on 245 the highest I’ve registered is 169! I had the max set to 184 based on formula from Stacey sims as I knew 201 wasn’t correct as the Vo2 max stuff was way out . So now on the new watch 184 is OTT , I was going to change to 176 based on age formula ( afraid of what it will tell are my predictions at 169) . It does seem like a huge drop .

On the old watch I based easy runs on heart rate under 140 now I’m going with 130-135 . I do need to get a strap - if for nothing else than to figure out the max and give me some formulas to mess with .

My max on the 235 was 201 and now the on 245 the highest I’ve registered is 169! I had the max set to 184 based on formula from Stacey sims as I knew 201 wasn’t correct as the Vo2 max stuff was way out . So now on the new watch 184 is OTT , I was going to change to 176 based on age formula ( afraid of what it will tell are my predictions at 169) . It does seem like a huge drop .

On the old watch I based easy runs on heart rate under 140 now I’m going with 130-135 . I do need to get a strap - if for nothing else than to figure out the max and give me some formulas to mess with .

Did you get 201 consistently? If it was a one-off or a spike i'd definitely ignore it.

My lactate threshold was measured 14 months ago in a lab environment. A common field test for LTHR is to take the average HR of a 20 min hard effort, my average for the TT (just under 23 mins so close enough to 20min) was 1 bpm less than the lab test a year ago so i know that my LTHR is still reasonably accurate. For that reason i tend to set my zones up as a % of LTHR rather than a % of HRR or Max HR. It would be easier and more reliable (IMO) to do the field test to identify LTHR than Max HR.

I think a chest strap would serve you well to be honest especially if you plan to base your training on HR.

Thanks - Id like to get the easy runs right . I’m always thinking that maybe my easy runs are not easy enough and I’m wasting my time . Maybe when the world is back to normal ill go do one of those tests!

Thanks - Id like to get the easy runs right . I’m always thinking that maybe my easy runs are not easy enough and I’m wasting my time . Maybe when the world is back to normal ill go do one of those tests!

Ah i think you're ok there. You have to remember it's a range as well (this applies whether you use pace, hr or rpe to guide you). Some days you may be at the upper end of it and other days at the lower end but i don't think you can go very far wrong unless you are out trying to run hard on every run which obviously you're not.

Base Week 4
    Monday:
    7m GA @ 10:08min/m

Tues:
    3m GA @ 10:07min/m

Wed:
    6m inc. 8 * 100m Strides

Thurs:
    REST

Fri:
    7m GA @ 10:25min/m
    Felt very meh for this

Sat:
    10m Endurance, avg pace 9:40min/m (last 3 miles were 9:20 ish)

Sun:
    REST

33.8m total. Uneventful week. Stuck very closely to the plan. Started 30 days of yoga on Friday (May 1st).

Base Week 5
    Mon:
    9m GA (realised afterward it was supposed to be 8m) @ 10:12min/m

Tues:
    Supposed to be 3m GA but very busy in work/life and ended up not running :(

Wed:
    Plan said 7m including 18min Tempo. Again work/life just got in the way and i was rushing back for a work thing.
    Actual: 6.3m incl Tempo.
    18min Tempo @ 7:55min/m.

Thurs:
    Supposed to be REST but to make up for missing Tuesday's 3m GA, i did
    3.75m recovery @ 10:46min/m

Fri:
    Supposed to be 7m GA but with work stress still high i cut this short again. I found myself thinking about previous posts from P/Swashbuckler/Sweatlicker (not sure what name he goes by these days :p) about balancing the stressors in your life, in the past i'd have tried to push through but I'm not sorry i cut a couple of corners this week.
    4.6m @ 10:01min/m

Sat:
    11.5m Endurance @ 9:30min/m
    I got up early to watch the sun rise. Loved this run and it really made up for the previous few days which were all a bit stressy and not so enjoyable. Nice bonus to be home before anyone else in the house got up :)

Sun:
    Contemplated chasing some of the lost miles from during the week but did a big family walk instead. (*big for my 4 year old anyhow :D)

35m total. Glad to see the back of that week. Really enjoyed the yoga aspect and didn't find it added stress to the day to fit it in thankfully. And in the end i was only 1 m short of the planned mileage for the week on the plan, not too shabby. I'm quite happy to build slowly, no races, no pressure, no rush :)

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    P/Swashbuckler/Sweatlicker (not sure what name he goes by these days

All of the above are acceptable

Advertisement