Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Monday, Nov 13th
    Total: 5km (34:10) Recovery Pace
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km
    Splits: 7:01, 6:53, 6:46, 6:37, 6:39
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: Hadn’t planned on running but found myself togged out (following s&c assessment) and with 40 minutes to spare before picking up the boys so i gave it a shot. Didn’t particularly enjoy it, the body felt stiff, also a very dark & wet night on unfamiliar roads. Disappointed to see the HR which was high relative to the pace. Didn’t look at the watch but went with easy effort (pace was more like recovery pace in the end).

Tuesday, Nov 14th
    Total: 5km (31:25) Easy/Endurance Pace
    Avg Pace: 6:14 min/km
    Splits: 6:46, 6:15, 6:04, 5:57, 6:09, 6:19
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Had company for this run and found it much more enjoyable than the previous night. Easy effort again.

Wednesday, Nov 15th
    Gym - S&C Program 1.
    Comments: First time following program 1, it was slow going as i had to be walked through each exercise. I enjoyed it in the same way i enjoy yoga, it took a lot of focus to get the correct form for each of the exercises. The exercises definitely challenged me but they weren’t beyond me. The last two exercise was the hardest, both working the core: Pillar Bridge (marching valslides) and Deadbug.

Thursday, Nov 16th
    REST

Friday, Nov 17th
    Gym S&C Program 2: Again as it was my first time following this program i had to be walked through it. Really enjoyed it though. Could feel the burn in my quads and glutes. Followed it up with a short run.
    Total: 5.3km (28:59)
    Avg Pace: 5:27 min/km
    Splits: 5:51, 5:38, 5:25, 5:13, 5:03, 5:39 (.3)
    Avg HR: 156 bpm
    Comments: Ran this on the track. Got progressively quicker though effort felt more level than than the splits indicate. Dirty wet night but rather enjoyed running in the rain under floodlights.

Saturday, Nov 18th
    Total: Cycle 23.6km (1hr 7min)
    Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Comments: Just to loosen out the legs after yesterday’s double session of gym + run.

Sunday, Nov 19th
    REST! Had thought i might run but the legs were heavy and i really didn’t feel like it and with no goal at the moment, i decided another rest day was on the agenda. Lit a fire and pottered around the house instead :)

Comments: A grand total of 15.5km!! Well, it’s more than the previous 2 weeks i suppose :D

Monday, Nov 20th
    Gym - S&C Program 1 (50 minutes)
    Comments: Enjoyed this although the sets of everything went from 2 to 3 so it was a bit tougher!

Tuesday, Nov 21st
    Total: 5.2km (30:40)
    Avg Pace: 5:54 min/km
    Splits: 6:17, 5:49, 5:47, 5:47, 5:44, 6:11 (.2)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Nice steady state run, felt comfortable chatting throughout. I think General Aerobic is probably the correct term for this type of run but really i haven’t a clue, need to start reading the P&L book sitting on my coffee table!

Wednesday, Nov 22nd
    Gym - S&C Program 2 (50 minutes)
    Comments: Really tough, my quads were totally ripped up, i couldn't manage a split squat at all. To put it in perspective just lowering myself onto the toilet seat hurts like hell.

Thursday, Nov 23rd
    Total: 6.5km (warm up, 4 * 100m strides + 4 * 1km)
    Splits: 4:57, 4:51, 4:55, 5:01
    Comments: This was supposed to be 5 * 1k but as the track was slippy and getting slippier the coach blew the whistle after 4 and sent us home. These were also supposed to be at 5km pace but due to the slippy nature of the track and my very sore quads from the 2 S&C sessions, i was aiming for about 80%, everybody was, there were times the feet would go from under you a little and you’d have to steady yourself. I was shocked at the end to see the splits to be honest, they were 5km pace but they certainly didn’t feel 5k effort, maybe because at times i was in a pack :confused: Recovery was 2:30.

Comments: 11.5km :rolleyes: Nothing Fri, Sat, Sun. Wedding on Friday = very tired + sore head on Saturday. Sunday = visitors + pure laziness!

BUT on a positive, I finally feel recovered from DCM, after 4 weeks where i ran a grand total of 27km, I'm dying to get back to a routine of running but i know in my heart and soul it will be January before this happens as Christmas silliness will cause havoc in the next 4 weeks but i will be aiming for 3-4 runs/week, when & where i can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm dying to get back to a routine of running but i know in my heart and soul it will be January before this happens as Christmas silliness will cause havoc in the next 4 weeks but i will be aiming for 3-4 runs/week, when & where i can :)

Sounds like you're setting yourself up well for getting back into a proper routine with all the strength training though, no harm to have a good stretch of the kind of stuff you're doing now either ;)

Monday, Nov 27th
    Gym - S&C Program
    Comments: Lots of glutes, quads, split squats, planks, glute bridges, lateral planks etc.

Tuesday, Nov 28th
    Total: 5.35 km (34:07)
    Avg Pace: 6:23 min/km
    Splits: 6:29, 6:29, 6:19, 6:14, 6:27, 6:22 (.35)
    Avg HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: Nothing notable. Cold night but I was overdressed and a bit too warm after 2km. Even effort.

Wednesday, Nov 29th
    Gym - S&C Program
    Comments: Lots of core & arms today.

Thursday, Nov 30th
    Total: 11km (w/u, 4 * 5mins, 5 * 1 min, c/d)

Time|Distance/km|Pace/km|Rec Time
    5:03.1|1.03|4:43|2:11.8
    5:03.5|1:06|4:46|2:14.7
    5:03.1|1:06|4:46|2:10.7
    5:03.1|1.03|4:54|2:31.6
    1:01.3|.23|4:28|1:04.9
    1:01.6|.23|4:28|1:02.6
    1:01.4|.23|4:32|1:03.0
    1:02.8|.23|4:29|1:02.7
    1:01.4|.23|4:32|

Avg HR: 148 bpm (Max 175 bpm)
    Comments: I'm sure those times/distances aren't exactly accurate but I'm happy this this session. I wasn’t sure if i could hit my 5k pace (4:55min/km) which is 6 months old and hasn’t been attempted since in that time, let alone sustain it for 5 mins * 4 but it seems i can so that's a positive :)

Comments: Another very poor week. Very sore on Friday/Saturday after the S&C and session. Really struggling with DOMS in the legs those days. Sunday was a bit better but i was hungover, tired and owed my kids some quality time. Too many excuses, got to pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Look at it this way Ariana you won't have to worry about niggly injuries caused by weak muscles when you get out more regular again :) it all stands to only make you stronger

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Look at it this way Ariana you won't have to worry about niggly injuries caused by weak muscles when you get out more regular again :) it all stands to only make you stronger

Well that's the plan but i was hoping to fit in at least 3 and really 4 runs a week with the s&c and to be honest the s&c is supposed to be 3 days as well so i'm a bit off target on both. But this is a new week eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

There are some seriously fast times in that session! I couldn’t do those paces. Wow!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    There are some seriously fast times in that session! I couldn’t do those paces. Wow!
    To be honest KG i was surprised myself, i'm still not quite sure i trust the garmin! I kept my eye on a girl who i ran the first interval just behind and i tried to keep on her coat tails for all of them then. She left me for dust on the last 5 minute one :rolleyes: Also, the recovery was complete recovery, I walked back to the start point and then 10-15 seconds waiting to go again, so this was a big help. HR was back to normal before starting the next one each time.

Monday, Dec 4th
    Gym - S&C Program
    Comments: Lots of core and arms today. Enjoying these sessions. Love the variety and the tiredness afterwards, it's different to running.

Tuesday, Dec 5th
    Total: 7.56km (44:23)
    Avg Pace: 5:52 min/km
    Splits: 6:02, 5:58, 5:55, 5:46, 5:59, 5:51, 5:36, 5:49 (.56)
    Avg HR: 167 bpm (189 Max)
    Comments: Not sure what was going on with my HR, this run felt comfortable, talking for good part of it etc.. Running with friends so just went with their pace, probably tempo pace but need to do a race really to get a handle on paces again. My knee niggled a few times during this year, maybe that was sending my HR through the roof, or maybe my watch was playing up.

Wednesday, Dec 6th
    Total: 6km (35:30)
    Avg Pace: 5:52 min/km
    Splits: 6:09, 5:54, 5:58, 5:39, 5:47, 5:43
    Avg HR: 157 bpm (174 max)
    Comments: Another tempo-ish. Awful night, wild, wet, dark… Same friends as last night, same pace. Thoroughly enjoyed this despite the horrendous weather. No knee pain.

Thursday, Dec 7th
    Comments: Track session cancelled and the legs were tired from back to back tempo runs so took an unscheduled rest day. S&C tomorrow so no harm to rest the legs.

Friday, December 8th
    Gym - S&C Program.
    Comments: Lots of core & leg work - split squats, glute bridges, planks, lateral planks.

Saturday, December 9th
    Total: Parkrun + 2.6 km warm up
    Official time: 24:57
    Avg Pace: 5:01 min/km
    Splits: 4:46, 5:04, 5:07, 5:08, 4:53 (.98)
    Avg HR: 167 bpm (186 max)
    Comments: I woke up with only very mild DOMS from Friday’s session! Yay a big improvement on previous weeks. My Parkrun PB being 26:27 and not having run/raced anything short for a while i really didn’t know what to aim for. Reasonably confident i could pull off sub 26, and less confident i could pull of sub 25:30, I decided to start around 5:05 pace and take it from there. Obviously that plan went out the window and i ran the first km way to fast. I realised after 5/600m and tried to rein it in but this was still my fastest km. About 4 people passed me early in the 2nd km and i watched the pace slip to about 5:05 but thankfully felt myself settle again at that pace and nobody else passed me after that. I knew i had 14 seconds banked (for better or worse it was done now) so i started to hope that maybe i could go sub 25 or very close. In the end it was a fight to the end, the course read 4.98 on my watch and i got home at 24:58 (watch time), 24:57 (official time). I was delighted with the massive Parkrun PB and of course sub 25 is always nice. Still 20 slower than my 5km pb and the course measured slightly short but i couldn’t be disappointed with it coming from where i am. I worked hard for it, i wonder if i’d shown more restraint in the first km if maybe i’d have had more to give later on, who knows, next time i’ll try to pace it better. The big positive is i had no knee pain before/during/after. My butt was sore after this and for the rest of the day, my glutes must have worked hard! I forgot to add there are 3 wooden bridges in the parkrun and they were all slippy, so i definitely lost a second or two on each of these - FWIW :cool:

Sunday, December 10th
    Comments: Hoped to do a cycle today but spent the day building snowmen with the kids instead. Slight DOMS in the Quads today, maybe from Friday night’s gym and/or yesterday’s park run. Not a bad feeling,very mild.

Comments: An ok week. 3 runs, 2 gym sessions, 2 rest days, a good Parkrun PB. One or both of the tempo runs should have been easy but i’m not following a plan and enjoying running with friends after a lot of lonely runs for DCM so for the rest of the year i’m not going to stress about it. My knee was niggling during Tuesday’s run but ok on Wednesday’s run and Parkrun so I’m not sure what that is about. Hopefully the S&C will kick in.

Seems like a great week to me and I think enjoying runs with friends is brilliant. I love that. Therapeutic!

• Advertisement

Monday, Dec 11th
    Comments: Treacherous conditions meant to running and no gym - an unplanned rest day.

Tuesday, Dec 12th
    Comments: Another unplanned rest day

Wednesday, Dec 13th
    Gym - S&C Program.

Thursday, Dec 14th
    Total: 11km track session including w/u & c/d
    Comments: Session was two sets of 8x200m. Aim for the 200s was 53/54 seconds based on last weekends 5k Parkrun time. The first 2 were waaaay too fast, i fell in with group of 4 for the rest - they were aiming for 50/51 and i was dragged along. Recovery was 200m jog (1min 15s aprox) between each one and 600m jog between the sets. Delighted that i hit the time on all of them, those are paces i've never hit before, if only i could hold them for more than 200m :cool:

Time|Pace
    45.6|3:46
    48.7|4:00
    51.2|4:03
    51.5|4:13
    51.6|4:12
    50.6|4:13
    50.2|4:07
    50.4|4:12

Time|Pace
    51.4|4:15
    50.3|4:08
    52.0|4:19
    51.4|4:15
    53.7|4:26
    51.4|4:12
    51.2|4:12
    51.5|4:11

Friday, December 15th
    Gym - S&C Program.

Saturday, December 16th
    Total: 6.69 km (49:49)
    Avg Pace: 7:27 min/km
    Splits: 7:38, 7:31, 7:27, 7:22, 7:24, 7:13, 7:35 (.69)
    Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Comments: Very easy paced based on recent parkrun time. Found this difficult at first as i’m not used to the pace being quite this slow but once i settled in it was fine. I was quite hungover so it probably suited.

Sunday, December 17th
    Comments: Crazy family life got in the way.

Comments: Not the best of weeks but this time of year never is for me. I’m just aiming for damage limitation doing what i can, when i can and trying not to stress about the days i can’t. The session on Thurs was good as was the session (of the other type!!) on Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Monday, Dec 11th

Saturday, December 16th
    Total: 6.69 km (49:49)
    Avg Pace: 7:27 min/km
    Splits: 7:38, 7:31, 7:27, 7:22, 7:24, 7:13, 7:35 (.69)
    Avg HR: 143 bpm
    Comments: Very easy paced based on recent parkrun time. Found this difficult at first as i’m not used to the pace being quite this slow but once i settled in it was fine. I was quite hungover so it probably suited.

Comments: Not the best of weeks but this time of year never is for me. I’m just aiming for damage limitation doing what i can, when i can and trying not to stress about the days i can’t. The session on Thurs was good as was the session (of the other type!!) on Friday :D

Oooo - That's a similar easy pace to myself! I know you think it's not the best of weeks but you got a couple of S&C sessions in and a couple of runs, so not too bad, either ;)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Oooo - That's a similar easy pace to myself! I know you think it's not the best of weeks but you got a couple of S&C sessions in and a couple of runs, so not too bad, either ;)

Ya? That's based on last week's park run time and the calculator on the Graduate thread. Very easy is 7:19-7:52 and Easy is 7:02-7:17. I'd like to try to get a couple of runs done in this range even though it's slower than I'm used to. Be good to see my average HR come down to the 130s or even 120s, i think if i wasn't hungover, tired and dehydrated on Saturday it might have been lower!

Yeah, it was an ok week. I'll settle for that this time of year to be honest. So much going on last week, we got a lot of snow early in the week and then i'd a funeral, i'd the school plays, work Christmas party and other kid's Christmas activities over the weekend. Something's gotta give :cool:

Ya? That's based on last week's park run time and the calculator on the Graduate thread. Very easy is 7:19-7:52 and Easy is 7:02-7:17. I'd like to try to get a couple of runs done in this range even though it's slower than I'm used to. Be good to see my average HR come down to the 130s or even 120s, i think if i wasn't hungover, tired and dehydrated on Saturday it might have been lower!

Yep - I base run easy/general aerobic runs by HR and that's generally the range they fall into, depending. What's your max HR? I ask because I'd struggle to keep my HR in the 120s walking, never mind running!

Yep - I base run easy/general aerobic runs by HR and that's generally the range they fall into, depending. What's your max HR? I ask because I'd struggle to keep my HR in the 120s walking, never mind running!

I haven't done a max hr test actually it's been on my list to do. I've hit 183 in races in the past year. Ya i might be optimistic with hitting 120s but i definitely know when i was doing long runs a few months ago i was getting an average hr in the 130s and the pace would have been aprox 6:50 min/km so i'll be interested to see if running even easier has an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I'm going to come across as a right cantankerous git and youll hate me for it but in for a penny... . I really think you're trying to fit too much in at the minute. The week before last, you done back to back Tempo runs followed by the gym the next day, a workout the day after that then another gym session and a race the following day. That's a lot to handle in one week, impressive but a lot:pac:

It's definitely not a case of too many excuses and you needing to pull the finger out, If you were selling your motivation, I'd be first in the cue anyway:pac:. You're definitely going to be feeling the effects of the last 2 weeks you put down. Far be it for me to schedule your week as I know you have a lot on outside running but having a gym session on a Wednesday, a track session on Thursday and another gym session the day after is a killer and something I'd encorage you to avoid. Maybe move the S&C forward in the week to balance it out instead of having all your hard days clustered up in a row. I would drop the track workout altogether if I was in your shoes but those are just my 2c.

Many people place huge value on speedwork as a magic elixer and everyone thinks they are lacking speed but for 95% of people, that's not the case at all. In distance running, strength=speed. Think of it like a cake and speedwork as the icing, it's the finishing touch on the big base beneath. Consistency is the most important piece and you will still see huge benefits from running easy for now and I can't stress this enough as I've prior with this.

Just a few thoughts.

El Caballo wrote: »
    The week before last, you done back to back Tempo runs followed by the gym the next day, a workout the day after that then another gym session and a race the following day.

When you put it like that it does sound like a lot :eek: But a). that week was a one-off, i got sucked along with the pace running with friends and b). when i put the pace from my parkrun into the calculator the 2 tempo runs actually came out at 'Easy Tempo' so they weren't quite tempo - clutching at straws i know :cool:
    El Caballo wrote: »
    Many people place huge value on speedwork as a magic elixer and everyone thinks they are lacking speed but for 95% of people, that's not the case at all. In distance running, strength=speed. Think of it like a cake and speedwork as the icing, it's the finishing touch on the big base beneath. Consistency is the most important piece and you will still see huge benefits from running easy for now and I can't stress this enough as I've prior with this.
    I feel like i ran easy for the last 6 months training for DCM and i really want to ice the damn cake now already :D

As it happens i did chat with S&C coach on Monday as i feel myself it's too much and i'm missing my runs. He's drawn up a new plan for me, he's replaced my 2 full programs with a full S&C program and a corrective program. I'll rotate the programs and try to plan them better around running as well.

I appreciate any advice/input here it's one of the main reasons i started this log, it's been invaluable along with the DCM thread! I can't say i'll always do exactly what I'm told but i'll try :)

Monday, Dec 18th
    Gym - S&C Program.
    Comments: lots of arms and core today.

Tuesday, Dec 19th
    Total: 9km (1:01:17)
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km
    Splits: 6:47, 6:49, 6:48, 6:52, 6:51, 6:34, 6:49, 6:50, 6:49
    Avg HR: 149 bpm (max 174)
    Comments: Easy/Moderate pace. Met a friend for a few mins in the 6th km which is why that was slightly faster. Didn't particularly enjoy this run for some reason, just didn’t feel relaxed at any stage, the pace was forced. Very warm at the end and the legs felt weary enough for the rest of the day. I haven’t been running more than 30-40 minutes recently, must try to schedule in some medium-long and long runs.

Wednesday, Dec 20th
    Comments: home alone with the kids, a forced rest day

Thursday, Dec 21st
    Gym - S&C Program.
    Comments: A new program today, enjoyed the change, lots of core and glutes.

Friday, December 22nd
    Total: 8.17km (1:00:01)
    Avg Pace: 7:21 min/km (Very easy pace)
    Splits: 7:17, 7:30, 7:34, 7:17, 7:07, 7:14, 7:25, 7:22
    Avg HR: 161 bpm (max 185)
    Comments: Bizarre HR. Strava gave me a suffer score of Extreme!! It certainly didn't feel extreme, felt comfortably easy.

Saturday, December 23rd
    Total: Parkrun (25:32 official)
    Avg Pace: 5:10 min/km
    Splits: 5:10, 5:12, 5:17, 5:09, 5:00 (.94)
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Comments: ooops, no time to warm up so the first couple of km felt tough but grand overall. Lots of festive fun at this run!!

Sunday, December 24th
    Comments: Rest day

Comments: Not a bad week, 3 runs, 2 gym sessions. Enjoyed the couple of easy but slightly longer runs than I've been doing recently. Need to get a plan together for the new year but it will definitely include some 60 min easy/very easy runs.

Monday, Dec 25th
    Comments: Food, lots and lots of food

Tuesday, Dec 26th
    Comments: More food and a 5km walk...

Wed, Dec 27th
    Total: 9km (51:30)
    Avg Pace: 5:42 min/km (Tempo pace)
    Splits: 5:53, 5:49, 5:38, 5:34, 5:32, 5:43, 5:39, 5:44, 5:46
    Avg HR: 157 bpm (max 177)
    Comments: Had company for this, didn’t notice the run chatting away. Nothing notable.

Thurs, Dec 28th
    Gym - S&C Program.
    Comments: Core and glutes

Friday, December 29th
    Total: 10.55 km (1:03:15)
    Avg Pace: 6:00 min/km (Easy Tempo pace)
    Splits: 5:59, 5:54, 5:47, 5:53, 5:50, 5:57, 6:14, 6:05, 6:04, 6:13, 6:04 (.55)
    Avg HR: 149 bpm (173 max )
    Comments: Another run with company. Last 4km were into a stiff wind. Another enjoyable one.

Saturday, December 30th
    Total: 8.62km (1:01:27)
    Avg Pace: 7:08 min/km (Easy pace)
    Splits: 7:01, 7:06, 6:55, 7:11, 7:12, 7:18, 7:03, 7:07, 7:25 (.62)
    Avg HR: 147 bpm (168 max)
    Comments: Went on my own for his. Felt weary enough after it.

Sunday, December 31st
    Total: 14.5km (1:43:26)
    Avg Pace: 7:08 min/km (Easy pace)
    Splits: 7:09, 7:15, 7:13, 7:13, 7:20, 7:07, 7:13, 7:04, 6:58, 6:58, 7:18, 7:07, 6:58, 7:02, 7:05 (.5)
    Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Comments: Longest run since DCM, aim was 1hr 45min @ easy pace and mission accomplished more or less. Feeling the beginnings of a head cold but rather enjoyed this long slow run. I hit 1,000 miles for 2017 on this run, so chuffed with that

Comments: 43km & 1 s&c session. That'll do nicely for Christmas week. Bye bye 2017 it's been good knowing you but I'm excited about getting to see what 2018 has to offer :)

We're also excited to see what 2018 has to offer! Any plans or goals?

Congrats on the 1,000 miles for the year :)

• Advertisement

We're also excited to see what 2018 has to offer! Any plans or goals?

Congrats on the 1,000 miles for the year :)

I have a few races lined up between now and June, they range from 5k to HM so I need to come up with a plan that covers me up HM distance wise but that doesn't include much in the way of hard running as I'll be sparing myself for s&c sessions. So i think lots of easy pace running between now & June. In June i'll get a full assessment from the s&c coach and make a decision about whether to do an Autumn marathon. It might be a case that this year becomes a year of base building for next year if i'm not strong enough and that'd be fine too, i wouldn't mind setting new PBs at the shorter distances but i'd love to do another marathon as well so basically i want it all :D

So i suppose a bit of a 2017 recap is in order...

Jan: i ran my only 8k race of year and knocked 61 seconds off my PB there, a good start to the year :)

Feb: a quiet month, no races but lots of kms logged :cool:

March: i signed up to Parkrun & did 3 fairly close together, all came in around 27:xx, baring in my my 5k pb from June 2016 was 24:5x i was pretty disappointed here but after routinely getting my bloods tested i learned my Ferritin (iron reserves) had bottomed out :eek:

April: a low mileage month concentrated on eating well and generally getting myself back to full health :cool:

May/June: 5km season: 5 weekly races ranging from 25:08 to a new pb of 24:36 :D

July: marathon training commenced. Also scored a nice 10k pb this month - 52:02 i'll take that thank you very much sir :p

Aug: my first 10miler, 1:30:50, that'll do :)

Sept: a HM DNF sick tummy :mad:

Oct: from the rollercoaster of pre-marathon injuries to the high of 29th and my first marathon :pac:

Nov: my lowest mileage month all year but it's ok i'm a marathon runner :D

Dec: getting back in the saddle, park run pb of 24:57 and gradually increasing the kms again and getting into the swing of s&c.

Distance |
    |
    |*2015|2014
    1 mi|||
    5 km|
    24:36
    |
    24:53
    ||
    25:06
    |
    8 km|
    42:09
    |
    43:10
    |
    50:04
    |
    5 mi|||
    10 km|
    52:02
    |
    55:53
    ||
    59:38
    |
    10 mi|
    1:30:50
    ||
    Half||
    2:09:25
    |
    Marathon|
    4:37:06
    ||
    Park run|
    24:57
    |

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

What a year! Congrats on everything you've achieved - it has been great to follow along! I think I'm most impressed/intimidated by how much you did during Christmas week :eek:

I have a few races lined up between now and June, they range from 5k to HM so I need to come up with a plan that covers me up HM distance wise but that doesn't include much in the way of hard running as I'll be sparing myself for s&c sessions. So i think lots of easy pace running between now & June. In June i'll get a full assessment from the s&c coach and make a decision about whether to do an Autumn marathon. It might be a case that this year becomes a year of base building for next year if i'm not strong enough and that'd be fine too, i wouldn't mind setting new PBs at the shorter distances but i'd love to do another marathon as well so basically i want it all :D

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I'm a firm believer in lots of easy miles. There'll be no stopping you!
    So i suppose a bit of a 2017 recap is in order...

Distance |
    |
    |*2015|2014
    1 mi|||
    5 km|
    |
    ||
    |
    8 km|
    |
    |
    |
    5 mi|||
    10 km|
    |
    ||
    |
    10 mi|
    ||
    Half||
    |
    Marathon|
    ||
    Park run|
    |

A huge year for you - congrats!
    eyrie wrote: »
    I think I'm most impressed/intimidated by how much you did during Christmas week :eek:

I know, right? :p

eyrie wrote: »
    What a year! Congrats on everything you've achieved - it has been great to follow along! I think I'm most impressed/intimidated by how much you did during Christmas week :eek:

Haha on Saturday's run i was doing some maths and realised if i could squeeze in a 1hr 45min long run @ easy pace the following day (NYE) it would bring me to 1,000m for the year so that gave me the extra motivation to fit in the 4th run, otherwise it may not have been as impressive a week. Also i had to attempt offset all the food & drink somehow :eek:

Distance |
    |
    |*2015|2014
    1 mi|||
    5 km|
    |
    ||
    |
    8 km|
    |
    |
    |
    5 mi|||
    10 km|
    |
    ||
    |
    10 mi|
    ||
    Half||
    |
    Marathon|
    ||
    Park run|
    |

You have some incredible times there. If you hadn’t been injured for DCM you would have had a fantastic time - and thinking back to it you were extremely disciplined on the day too not to take off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Don't underestimate the enjoyment you'll get from the shorter stuff. In fact I'd go so far as to say you might even second guess whether you want to go back to marathon training!

Monday, Jan 1st
    Comments: Smothered with a head cold so took an unplanned rest day. Bad start to the year, i always run on Jan 1st :mad:

Tuesday, Jan 2nd
    Comments: Storm Eleanor and still smothered with a head cold meant another unplanned rest day.

Wed, Jan 3rd
    Total: 7km (46:56) with 4 x 100m strides
    Avg Pace: 6:38 min/km (Slightly faster than easy)
    Splits: 6:56, 6:53, 6:55, 6:41, 6:54, 5:24 (strides), 6:46
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: Running with friends, did my best to slow them to my easy pace, eventually i let them go around half-way but i almost caught them again with the strides. Enjoyed this especially the strides, love that feeling of stretching the legs a little bit.

Thurs, Jan 4th
    Comments: No time today to do anything. Full day in work, a visit to the doctor and a clingy sick child all evening. Did s&c at home late in the evening.

Friday, Jan 5th
    Total: 8.29 km (1:00:06)
    Avg Pace: 7:15 min/km (Easy)
    Splits: 7:19, 7:13, 7:12, 7:08, 6:56, 7:24, 7:25, 7:15, 7:37 (.29)
    Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Comments: Another enjoyable easy pace run, i could get used to all this easy running, this was a slightly hillier route than usual, reflected in some of the splits.

Saturday, Jan 6th
    Total: 7.16km (50:21)
    Avg Pace: 7:02 min/km (Easy)
    Splits: 7:03, 6:54, 7:06, 7:02, 6:59, 6:59, 7:11, 6:48 (.16)
    Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Comments: Nothing notable really, night time and on my own so had to watch my footing a bit more than usual but enjoyed this.

Sunday, Jan 7th
    Total: 15.06km (1:42:31)
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km (Easy/Moderate)
    Splits: 6:53, 6:55, 6:38, 6:52, 7:00, 6:48, 7:01, 6:50, 6:56, 6:55, 6:52, 6:56, 6:38, 6:48, 6:06
    Avg HR: 166 bpm
    Comments: Was seriously cold out there so ran this slightly faster than easy pace just to stop from freezing over! My hands were numb after it despite wearing my cold weather running gloves. Average HR was high although the pace still felt very comfortable. If the watch can be trusted it was high for the first 9km and then dropped to more normal range for the last 6km, strange, i won't lose sleep over it :cool:

Comments: Not a bad ole week, 4 decent runs (37.6km/23miles). Starting a base plan next to bring me to a HM in 8 weeks time, excited to be getting back on a plan. Slipped a bit (ok a lot :rolleyes:) on the s&c front this week so need to get back into that next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

you are doing great Ariana :D

• Advertisement

Monday, Jan 8th
    S&C: Core & legs 1hr 10 min aprox.

Tuesday, Jan 9th
    Total: 7.6km (50:18)
    Avg Pace: 6:38 min/km (Easy/Moderate)
    Splits: 6:38, 6:29, 6:43, 6:34, 6:30, 6:34, 6:39, 6:54 (.6)
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: lovely run, chatting all the way didn't notice the time go at all could run all day at this pace and in good company.

Wed, Jan 10th
    AM
    S&C: Arms & legs 1hr
    Total: 6.5km (45:40)
    Avg Pace: 7:02 min/km (Easy)
    Splits: 7:02, 7:04, 7:10, 6:50, 7:01, 6:54, 7:15 (.5)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: plan had a progression run but after the S&C session I felt a short & easy was the order of the day

PM
    Total: 7.06km (48:01)
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km (Easy/Moderate - the slower end!)
    Splits: 6:45, 6:44, 6:58, 6:36, 6:44, 6:41, 7:09
    Avg HR: 173 bpm (yikes!!) :eek:
    Comments: Oooops this is the type of silly run that will probably get me injured, got asked by a friend to join her for a few miles and sure i couldn’t say no

Thurs, Jan 11th
    Comments: Legs quite heavy today, mild DOMS from yesterday’s gym and double run day. Happy to have a planned rest day with the dense fog hanging about as well.

Friday, Jan 12th
    Total: 8.84km (1:02:06)
    Avg Pace: 7:01 min/km (Easy)
    Splits: 7:19, 7:21, 7:01, 7:03, 6:34, 6:50, 6:56, 7:03, 7:05 (.84)
    Avg HR: 167 bpm
    Comments: Hmmm still some DOMS hanging around. HR too high for this run

Saturday, Jan 13th
    Comments: unplanned rest day, life got in the way and feeling quite weary anyhow. Good bit of foam rolling in the evening time.

Sunday, Jan 14th
    S&C: Short session at home, 3 sets of squats, clams, rdl - db & planks
    Total: 15.62km (1:45:18)
    Avg Pace: 6:44 min/km (Easy/Moderate)
    Splits: 6:52, 6:37, 6:45, 6:30, 6:45, 6:46, 6:46, 6:41, 6:40, 6:49, 6:45, 6:56, 6:53, 6:42, 6:44, 6:39 (.62)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: I really enjoyed this long run. Found it hard to tame the pace though! But HR was significantly lower than the previous 2 weekends despite the pace being slightly faster (easy/moderate pace). Delighted to have 3 long runs done in that time range now, i feel the routine coming back so that’s something to be happy about :)

Comments: 45.6km / 28m. I managed to knock out a fair few miles (by my standard) this week but all easy or easy/moderate pace, i missed the 2 "session" type runs on the base plan. Still find the S&C is taking it out of me. Probably because of the break at Christmas. I thought getting back onto a plan would be easier than it’s turning out to be :cool: Forecast for the week ahead is pretty bad with storms etc so it might be another ad-hoc running week, fitting in what i can when i can. 7 weeks til HM :eek:

Advertisement