Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Vision disc wheelsrt

Options
  • 18-10-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I upgraded to Vision T30 disc wheels from the supplied stock wheels on a new cx bike. The attached pic shows the front skewer and 4 bags of stuff that came with them. I noticed that the wheel fits snugly between the dropouts insets of into them, so the q/r skewer has to be in the wheel to allow it stay in place. Also there are no springs on both sides of the skewer as normal. Help would be much appreciated please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So the wheel axle is too short to sit snugly in the drop outs? Is it the same front and rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

They look like thru-axle QR's. Is your frame thru-axle?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Plastik wrote: »
    They look like thru-axle QR's. Is your frame thru-axle?

Well the wheels I'm taking off the bike have regular QR's, so I presume the answer to your question is no.

Will thru axle wheels and QR's fit onto a regular frame. As you can see from thd pic there are 4 bags of different types of adaptor type fitting, but I can't for the life of me see how any of them can work.

So the wheel axle is too short to sit snugly in the drop outs? Is it the same front and rear?

Normally both ends of front and back wheel hubs have a lip that allows the wheel to sit into the dropout. These new wheels don't have a lip. In other words the distance between the dropouts is exactly the same as the width of the new hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

3t wheels I got came with instructions how to configure these bits and bobs for different fitting standards...

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    3t wheels I got came with instructions how to configure these bits and bobs for different fitting standards...

Do your wheels not have the lip on both ends either. Am I right so in saying that for you to remove your wheels you have to remove the q/r skewer first??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Put up a photo of the wheels, please, showing the hubs.

Sussed it last night. All the bags of bits confused me. What I did was line up the wheel at the dropout and feed the skewer through one dropout, then through the wheel and out the other side and tighten as normal. So to remove the wheel I have to remove the skewer first.

If I had just done this first it would have saved me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It seems that you may have a 9/10mm through-axle version of the wheelset, that can be used in normal QR frames?

Strange, can't see it being listed on the mfg website, it says its QR only.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/products/cyclocross/team30-disc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I have the same skewers (well more or less) and indeed they are thru-axle. With mine the QR lever operates to unlock them, then you screw them out/in to a thread in the fork. You can see the thread on these which is intended to do the same job.

Your version would appear to be relying on the "lawyers lips" and the screwing of the nut to hold the wheel in place. Make sure it is secure!

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    I have the same skewers (well more or less) and indeed they are thru-axle. With mine the QR lever operates to unlock them, then you screw them out/in to a thread in the fork. You can see the thread on these which is intended to do the same job.

Your version would appear to be relying on the "lawyers lips" and the screwing of the nut to hold the wheel in place. Make sure it is secure!

Yep. They seem even more secure than regular skewers, and no issue centering the wheel in the dropouts as there is no play

Alek wrote: »
    It seems that you may have a 9/10mm through-axle version of the wheelset, that can be used in normal QR frames?

Strange, can't see it being listed on the mfg website, it says its QR only.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/products/cyclocross/team30-disc/

Very true. I was onto bike discount (where I bought them) and they said they were brand new in stock from FSA. One of their mechanics said they are fine to fit on my frame, so no need to return them. It's odd as you say that there is no mention of them on the FSA website

Advertisement