Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sora servicing questions

Options
  • 18-10-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I just gave a big clean to my Defy, with Sora(newer, 3500?? with 2 clickers) groupset. I wonder is the shifter throwaway item or can be disassembled, cleaned and put back together?
    It's still shifting ok but seeing the road grime in hidden places after 11k kms, could a good idea to give them some tlc.

The chainring appears to be ok too, on my second chain at the moment. Once the Sora goes can I mix it with 105 or Tiagra components?

Got Tektro brakes with Kool and Swiss Stop pads. Happy with them.

I didn't touch my hubs and pedals. Hub 105, pedals M324, running smoothly, I think, they should be ok until I notice something wrong.

Have to check headset bearings, never done them, what grease should I use?

What are your thoughts on wet v dry lube? Using wet from day 1, gets bloody mess after a while, cleaning is dirty. Better off with dry?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Shifters can be opened and disassembled however I wouldn't attempt it unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing and because you had to ask I'd say you'd don't know so don't attempt it. If there is dirt and grime in them then get something like GT85 and douse them to wash any grit andgrime out of them and dry what you can after with a cloth.

Sora is 9 Speed and so not compatible with Tiagra (10spd) or 105 (11spd)

If your shifters are working ok then you've no need to replace them. They don't have a shelf life and should continue to work for a long long time so long as a bit of care is taken of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I've written this in a hurry, you're right about the components, Sora only 9, the others have more gears. At least the 9 speed one is strong enough, sometimes find the 50-11 not low enough (running factory setup 50-34/32-11).

I don't agree with you on shifters, ok, I don't know that's why I do ask questions. No one is born with the knowledge. I want to know how to do it and I feel myself capable to do it.

That's why I'm asking more specific questions on servicing. I love my bike, both enjoy pedalling and servicing. I have found a good and knowledgeable community on boards.

So, please, if you are in the know and care to share, let me know your thoughts! Much appreciated and it can be help to others for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

padyjoe wrote: »

I don't agree with you on shifters, ok, I don't know that's why I do ask questions. No one is born with the knowledge. I want to know how to do it and I feel myself capable to do it.

That's why I'm asking more specific questions on servicing. I love my bike, both enjoy pedalling and servicing. I have found a good and knowledgeable community on boards.

Shifters aren't serviced unless there is something wrong with them, so if they're working ok then leave them alone. They do come apart and new parts can be bought for them but they're very fiddly and if you don't know what your doing then you may end up not being able to get them back in working order. There are diagrams of the shifters in exploded form on shimano's website so look them up yourself, I doubt anyone is going to give you a walk through tutorial on how to take them apart and reassemble, its something your going to have to figure out yourself. There may also be YouTube videos on how to take them apart/repair them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Generaly Shimano shifters are not designed to be taken apart, or it is not cost effective to get the replacement part if it is available. They are not easily worked on and getting the ratchet/springs back again is an absolute pain. Ask your lbs if they have a broken shifter and try taking it apart to get an idea.

If the shifter is a bit sticky you can flush it through with wd40/gt85 or the like, as sometimes especially with old shifters the grease inside hardens/gets contaminated.

Sometimes the cause of problems is a stray strand of shifter wire this can be easily checked, if so do not take the shifter apart to get the strand out, with a little manoeuvering the barrel can be moved round so the strand can be removed.

Campagnolo shifters on the other hand can be worked on and spares are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you Cee-Jay-Cee & clog! Hope you didn't get offended CJC!

That's all I wanted to know whether it's worth the fiddle or not. I'm not going to take it apart until it breaks. Handy tip with the spray. Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement