Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and birth fees in Spain

Options
  • 18-10-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this belongs in the Living Abroad forum or here.

I'm living in Spain with a non-EU partner who is 2 months pregnant.

I was working in Ireland for about 10 years up until last year and this year I had a job for 6 months here in Spain. I have been out of work since end of August as I went back to study here (good timing right :().

Neither of us have any insurance so I'm wondering what I'm entitled to as an EU citizen who has paid taxes over the last 10 years.

I'm been looking into private clinics as we at least need to get an ultrasound done while we figure things out but the costs associated with reviews, analytics and birth are huge and I don't think I can afford it (currently back looking for work btw).

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That's a tricky one, first thing I'd check is the EU medical card.

Second, depending on where you live I'd definitely get in touch with someone who can give you advice on that. Maybe you live close to an expat community or so. Also check with where you live about the options she has.
    Are you married? If you're married that would make everything a bit easier. As an unmarried pregnant woman unfortunately I guess the chances are quite high that any consultant would charge you privately. Definitely check all the options you have locally.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I don't know the ins and outs but friends of mine who moved form Ireland it Spain had a baby there and it was all free. They were shocked - they got a private room with a bed for dad too!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

First of all, congratulations on the pregnancy.

I live and work in Spain, and had my daughter here and didn't have to pay a penny. The care was excellent.
    When you were working, did you make Seguridad Social contributions? You may want to pop along to the local office and see if you might be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Thanks for the replies.

Xdancer - I was making the contributions for 6 months this year before I finished working 6 weeks ago. That's a positive. I live and worked in Madrid.

On the negative side: I'm not working now, we're not married and she is not from the EU.

Not sure how much the 3 items above change my situation from yours.

We have the ultrasound tomorrow (private) but I'm popping into the Irish embassy beforehand to see have them info.

We didn't want to tell anyone before the Ultrasound so after that, all going well we can ask more people for advice.

I'd prefer to spend the €7k on the baby than on expensive private care.

Advertisement