Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intel NUC, any experiences?

• 18-10-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

I've had an Asrock ION media box for a few years. I use this for Netflix / Kodi / youtube etc. and it works well However, I have itchy feet at the moment and am thinking of changing.

Does anyone have experience with the Intel NUC boxes, specifically..
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5cpyh.html
    I realize I'll need to buy memory, ssd and mini hdmi, this is not a problem.
    I'll only use this as a media center, won't be doing any 4K viewing, just basic enough 1080p / netflix streaming.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience?
    The reviews online seem pretty positive.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Amazing device and one of the best things I've bought. Kodi is rock solid and plays everything. They're a bit more expensive than android boxes but they just work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Have two of these for kodi, just the very basic with Celeron processors but they run fine

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Amazing device and one of the best things I've bought. Kodi is rock solid and plays everything. They're a bit more expensive than android boxes but they just work.

+1

got the dn2820 version years ago...came with win7 but put openelec on it. never any issues with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i bought one of the small dell units that are very similar to this, used almost exclusively for kodi, and it's excellent, much better than the android boxs , i have one of them too and it's not a patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Excellent devices ..... I dual boot openelec and PCLinuxOS without any problems since I got it more than a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What's the best price these can be got for?

Or similar type devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Saw one on Novatech site for £140 which includes memory, harddrive but no os.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Thanks all for the input.
    Just ordered online!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I've a nuc 2820, I stuck a ssd and libreelec in it, runs like a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

bodonnell wrote: »
    Saw one on Novatech site for £140 which includes memory, harddrive but no os.

This is the one bodonnell is talking about. I am more than likely going to buy one for myself around Christmas. It seems to have gone up by a fiver in the last week

• Advertisement
Advertisement