Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a log house, advice appreciated

Options
  • 18-10-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey everyone,

We are thinking of buying a log home, purely as it's cheaper than your normal brick home.

Can anyone help to shed some light on these for me? We know nothing about them and are trying to research at the moment.

We intent to buy it as our primary residence and want it to last us throughout our lives.

Would you advise log houses?

Do you need planning permission?

Do log homes increase or decrease in value as time goes on?

Is it a better idea than you're normal brick house?

Could you recommend a company to go with for these houses?

Any other recommendations or advice would be seriously appreciated!

We are only beginning to research this!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

house value depends on location and size of the building .
    You,ll need planning permission to say build a 3 bed house .
    You,ll need a site with acess to water and esb supply.
    http://www.daft.ie/longford/property-for-sale/?s%5Bmxp%5D=75000

in most places outside dublin its cheaper to just buy a house ,than buy
    a log cabin .
    http://www.logcabinhome.co.uk/log-cabins-homes/pricelisthomes.html

theres not much difference between log cabin , vs brick house ,
    re price rise , In rural area,s they may look better than a standard semi d house.

UK Planning law is not the same as irish rules ,eg i think all new houses now need a bathroom
    on the ground floor in ireland .

a 1 bed house in dublin can be worth more than a 3bed house in cavan.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Would you advise log houses?

Do you need planning permission?

Do log homes increase or decrease in value as time goes on?

Is it a better idea than you're normal brick house?

Could you recommend a company to go with for these houses?

Any other recommendations or advice would be seriously appreciated!

)
    No

Yes

Decrease

Not that simple

No sorry

Find a site and find an architect

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

Oh yeah - and good luck trying to get an Irish household insurer to cover that bad boy.....

Say you are living in longford ,clare , kerry it,d be cheaper to just buy
    a house from daft.ie ,for 50k than buy a log cabin.
    eg any where outside dublin.
    There,s assembly cost, planning permission 2k approx,transport cost,
    site cost.And insurance would probably more expensive than a standard
    brick house.
    http://www.scanhome.ie
    price seems to be 42-52k , for a standard house.
    So overall not better than a brick house,
    apart from you can pick out a design and add on extra,s ,like extra insulation etc
    standard brick houses in rural area,s are selling well below the cost of building a new house.
    obviously a log house is more vunerable to a fire .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

riclad wrote: »
    Say you are living in longford ,clare , kerry it,d be cheaper to just buy
    a house from daft.ie ,for 50k than buy a log cabin.
    eg any where outside dublin.
    There,s assembly cost, planning permission 2k approx,transport cost,
    site cost.And insurance would probably more expensive than a standard
    brick house.
    http://www.scanhome.ie
    price seems to be 42-52k , for a standard house.
    So overall not better than a brick house,
    apart from you can pick out a design and add on extra,s ,like extra insulation etc
    standard brick houses in rural area,s are selling well below the cost of building a new house.
    obviously a log house is more vunerable to a fire .

Please Don't confuse timber frame construction with 'log' homes these are very different. Timber Frame construction can comply with Irish building regulations where as I haven't seen 'log' construction managing this.

Also it would be a shame to be touting for the concrete federation - there is nothing wrong with timber frame construction: more sustainable, faster, heats up quicker.. And I don't buy the insurance argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Unless someone has a thing for timber framed houses as a preference ( not a log house which is a different thing ) What appeaser to be being asked in these sort of threads is...Has anyone found a.. complies with planning permission legal, safe, way of housing themselves long term that is significantly cheaper that the conventional way of doing it.

Log cabins as a second home in back gardens and farms in rural Ireland are not uncommon but it rarely complies with planning permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mariaalice wrote: »
    Unless someone has a thing for timber framed houses as a preference ( not a log house which is a different thing ) What appeaser to be being asked in these sort of threads is...Has anyone found a.. complies with planning permission legal, safe, way of housing themselves long term that is significantly cheaper that the conventional way of doing it.

Log cabins as a second home in back gardens and farms in rural Ireland are not uncommon but it rarely complies with planning permission.

Or Building Regulations.

If trying to house yourself cheaper is the goal, a few months ago there was a piece on the radio about a group self build in Dún Laoghaire the program interviewed the architect who had come up with the plan and they were getting help from the council the homes were going to significance cheaper that conventional build homes.

Ask anyone who had ever done the census in any semi urban area near an area of high demand for rented property what they have come across.

Someone told me about there complete amazement at the type of accommodation some had in their back gardens. There must be a significant amount of people housed in semi legal situations in Ireland.

There are people who built extensions then got planning permission a few years after they were built.
    i saw some article about a self build coop near dublin,
    The architect said the house cost will be 80-100k ,
    but you have to be able to spend x hours per week building The house.
    Theres wood frame house,s and then theres a log cabin .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1453756/Struggling-to-afford-your-first-place-Try-a-log-cabin.html
    However, planning laws may be an obstacle to the spread of log cabins. If a cabin is built log by log, it is treated as a conventional house and requires the same planning permission as a standard home. In cases where the cabins, which come in pack form, are deemed to be prefabricated, they are treated under the less onerous planning rules governing mobile homes. It is left to individual local authorities to decide on each cabin on a case by case basis.

I understand timber frame construction is not the same as a log cabin.
    we have building regulations, fire regulations,
    eg x amount of insulation,ventilation
    and theres planning regulations .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Someone told me about there complete amazement at the type of accommodation some had in their back gardens. There must be a significant amount of people housed in semi legal situations in Ireland.

I'm struggling to see what's even 'semi-legal' about such arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are people who built extensions then got planning permission a few years after they were built.
    i saw some article about a self build coop near dublin,
    The architect said the house cost will be 80-100k ,
    but you have to be able to spend x hours per week building The house.
    Theres wood frame house,s and then theres a log cabin .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1453756/Struggling-to-afford-your-first-place-Try-a-log-cabin.html
    However, planning laws may be an obstacle to the spread of log cabins. If a cabin is built log by log, it is treated as a conventional house and requires the same planning permission as a standard home. In cases where the cabins, which come in pack form, are deemed to be prefabricated, they are treated under the less onerous planning rules governing mobile homes. It is left to individual local authorities to decide on each cabin on a case by case basis.

I understand timber frame construction is not the same as a log cabin.
    we have building regulations, fire regulations,
    eg x amount of insulation,ventilation
    and theres planning regulations .

That's a story about the UK. I don't think there's any confounding of log cabins with mobile homes in Ireland, especially regarding planning and building regs.

Yes , you need to make sure that any house you build is in line with Irish
    building regulations as you,ll need to get planning permission to build it.
    The reason i linked that article is it shows that log cabins may be cheaper
    than a standard brick house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It may only be cheaper if it doesn't need to meet the same requirements like building regs and planning.

Log cabins are cheaper because they are garden rooms and glorified domestic sheds, not houses. That's why they are cheap to buy compared to building a home.

Ask any log cabin supplier in Ireland can they comply with the building regulations...anwser will be no.

Planning regulations are a different kettle of fish, in theory you can get planning for a log cabin for use as a shed or garden room.

grand designs 9pm c4 uk tonight, Its about building a wood frame house.
    I Don,t think log cabins are popular in ireland as you can buy a house for 50k in many area,s and just modernise it or extend it .

I Don,t think log cabins are popular in ireland as you can buy a house for 50k in many area,s and just modernise it or extend it .

I don't think log cabins are popular with planning departments in Ireland.

grand designs 9pm c4 uk tonight, Its about building a wood frame house.

I think people keep getting mixed up with log cabins and different building methods. Log cabins can comply with the building regulations, but the cost to make them comply mean they are the same price as normal houses so nobody. Others.

Can you post a pic of what your perception of a log cabin is.
    Graham wrote: »
    I don't think log cabins are popular with planning departments in Ireland.

Or building control departments. It's not the style, is the use that the planning department don't allow. Especially when in rear gardens!

http://cdn.goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Cumberland-cabin-kit-1-640x480.jpg
    so it would be cheaper to just build a brick or woodframed house
    Than an american style log cabin.

http://cdn.goodshomedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Cumberland-cabin-kit-1-640x480.jpg

Is that a question or a statement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Be very aware that what works in dry air of parts of North America and drier parts of Scandinavia can turn into moss-covered rot here in a matter of a few years.

Wooden structures here need to be extremely carefully treated where the wood is exposed to the elements.

That's a garden shed. It wouldn't comply with Irish Building regulations.
    Be very aware that what works in dry air of parts of North America and drier parts of Scandinavia can turn into moss-covered rot here in a matter of a few years.

Wooden structures here need to be extremely carefully treated where the wood is exposed to the elements.

+1
    And ventilated where hidden from the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alice_clare

If trying to house yourself cheaper is the goal, a few months ago there was a piece on the radio about a group self build in Dún Laoghaire the program interviewed the architect who had come up with the plan and they were getting help from the council the homes were going to significance cheaper that conventional build homes.
    @''mariaalice'' You wouldn't have any link that could help me contact these guys by any chance would you?

Houses near me start at €100,000 and this is for a dilapidated house that has no windows/roof/not livable . I should mention that I live on the outskirts of Limerick city, but it's county Clare.

I am trying to find a way of getting a cheaper more conventional home as I can't justify paying a mortgage for the rest of my life (although i may have to!)

From what I have learnt about log homes so far (not timber frame houses) is that they last for up to 3 generations, are 40% warmer, more conventional, quicker built, best to buy in Finland, need planning permission. So we would need to buy a site, get planning permission, get the log house built and then wired and plumbed. There's every chance it may cost the very same as the traditional brick built home.

I do think that these houses may be actually ''better'' than brick houses in many ways i.e. cheaper to run & warmer. However they may require more maintenance. I have seen them being called glorified 'garden sheds,' but I would definitely say that this is incorrect. These log houses seem amazing!

We are first time buyers and are trying to look at all our options with open minds. Having something different that what is ''normal'' doesn't bother us but obviously, with something so important we want to research all avenues fully.

As I said in my first comment, I am only just learning about all this so every comment is appreciated!

Does anyone have any other ideas or know of anyone I could talk to about first time buying or log houses?

Home-ownership co-operatives help members who have the financial capacity to do so to build or buy their own homes. When suitable sites and finance are available co-operative group schemes of 10 – 30 homes can be developed. Most of these co-operatives have been developed in the Dublin area.

Co-operative housing in Ireland dates back to the 1950s. These were local, self-help, home ownership building co-operatives providing affordable homes for their members.

http://www.nabco.ie/Cooperative_Housing/Default.545.html

Does anyone have any other ideas or know of anyone I could talk to about first time buying or log houses?

You're not the first to have the log-house idea and I don't imagine you will be the last.

Have a search through the other threads about log houses. So far the number of people that have returned with pictures of their completed log house is hovering somewhere around zero.

Here's a few search results to get you started:

Log House
    Log Cabin

That's not to say it's impossible, there's quite a nice log cabin for sale on DAFT at the moment for north of quarter of a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hi op, similar to yourself I'm trying to keep my options open. Another avenue might be modular homes. If you search northern Ireland modular homes or wood houses there's a few sites that have samples. Houses from about 120 upwards. One site shows a few of them that were built in ireland. Might be worth a look. I'm at the very early stage of saving so I haven't gone any further than browsing websites

TV3 now!
    Log cabins exposed. Conor Popes Consumer 999.
    Engineers reports confirm that they are for use as a garage and not for habitation!

Look On daft,ie limerick houses under 70k,
    http://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-auction/limerick-city/4-keyes-row-athlunkard-street-limerick-city-limerick-1326703/

theres always cottages for sale that may need modernisation ,and basic repairs .
    there,s very few log cabins built in ireland.
    There seems to be very little difference between the cost of building a log cabin vs a more standard wood frame house as it still needs to pass current building regs .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chutney50

kceire wrote: »
    TV3 now!
    Log cabins exposed. Conor Popes Consumer 999.
    Engineers reports confirm that they are for use as a garage and not for habitation!

Just to clarify that the Conor Pope Consumer 999 programme of 19/10/2016 didn't expose logs cabins per se, but the work of a particular company called Beaver Log Cabins NI (formerly Beaver Log Cabins Ltd) run by Trevor Watson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

We just finished building a 2 bedroom log house . Is lovely and I'm very impressed with the build. You can get insurance companies to insure the building there's just not as many as a block built house. Pm me if you want the name of who we used.

Recommendations by pm only as per our forum charter please. Mod

Advertisement