Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a log house, advice appreciated

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alibaba12 wrote: »
    We just finished building a 2 bedroom log house . Is lovely and I'm very impressed with the build. You can get insurance companies to insure the building there's just not as many as a block built house. Pm me if you want the name of who we used.

Recommendations by pm only as per our forum charter please. Mod

Is it a new dwelling or a garden shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

kceire wrote: »

The websites advertising these log cabins to the Irish market noticeably list them as "extra room", "summerhouse", and most telling is their section on planning permission which is wishy washy and has the header "garden extension" at the top of the page. Two different websites also mention that there is an appeals process within ABP, almost knowingly that the planning will be refused for anything more than a uninhabited shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

We just finished building a 2 bedroom log house . Is lovely and I'm very impressed with the build. You can get insurance companies to insure the building there's just not as many as a block built house. Pm me if you want the name of who we used.

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

riclad wrote: »

theres always cottages for sale that may need modernisation ,and basic repairs .

how bad things can be :

http://www.thejournal.ie/house-of-horrors-wicklow-dream-house-condemned-3037500-Oct2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

kceire wrote: »

It's a dwelling

• Advertisement

Advbrd wrote: »
    Any pics?

Not yet used my "fancy" camera haven't had the chance to out onto laptop yet.

The websites advertising these log cabins to the Irish market noticeably list them as "extra room", "summerhouse", and most telling is their section on planning permission which is wishy washy and has the header "garden extension" at the top of the page. Two different websites also mention that there is an appeals process within ABP, almost knowingly that the planning will be refused for anything more than a uninhabited shed.

From what I understand P.P. is for anything over 20ft x 20ft and that is a fixed structure. There are also kit houses that don't require P.P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's a dwelling

I'd love to know what county this is in and how you complied with Part L of the Building Regulations?
    I strong,y believe you haven't built a new dwelling using a log cabin as discussed in this thread.
    From what I understand P.P. is for anything over 20ft x 20ft and that is a fixed structure. There are also kit houses that don't require P.P.

That's a very simplistic view of it tbh, extensions over 40 Sq. M to the rear require planning. All new houses, every single new house in the country requires planning irrespective of the size, construction material, so no, there are no kit houses that don't require planning. You also need to comply with building regulations and planning regulations with regards to open space, minimum room sizes etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

A friends family had a large log house (6 bedroom if i remember correctly) imported from Finland and built in a rural area in Clare.

It was a GORGEOUS house that suited the landscape so well. I think it was a preference for them rather than a cost saving measure as it was built on an expensive site.

But i do recall them having issues with getting insurance but they did in the end.

I would love a log house, i see them on the continent all the time and they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Michelle McGovern

hi can I get more information please and pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gruffalo27

@mariaalice. Did you ever go ahead with the log house if so how did it turn out. Budget. Building regs, planning etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

avinmike wrote: »
    @mariaalice. Did you ever go ahead with the log house if so how did it turn out. Budget. Building regs, planning etc

The OP has not posted in two years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gruffalo27

Caranica wrote: »
    The OP has not posted in two years ;)
    She must be still flat out building it so

Advertisement