Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning to old work place

Options
  • 18-10-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I left my old place of work 6 months ago on excellent terms. The decision to leave was based on the desire for a new challenge, minimal frustrations of the job (not the reason but probably additive) and the opportunity to move to a better post with better salary.

In the 6 months at new post I have never really felt the fit was right. I have been landed with a lot of messy work from the past job holder, the ethos is not the same and the boss isnt really communicating well. All in all the vibe hasn't felt right since Day 1 but I have wanted to give it a chance.

During this time I have also had a constant dialogue going with former colleagues and my old boss. I have met colleagues many many times even though I moved city and I have met the old boss on several occasions (each time in the old office). Of course this impacts how I feel about the feeling in my new workplace but cold turkey would have been too hard.

So a job came up recently, an advancement on my previous position with the company. I expressed an interest via email and discussed in person with old boss who advised me to apply as I would be a good fit. Got shortlisted for interview which is coming up soon and I suppose I am wondering how if asked should I explain leaving/the time away/the experience in current post. In my head I think its trickier as I know most of the interview panel and theres no fudging.One member is actively working closely with my current boss so it all feels quite close and pressurised.

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with such an interview that would be great. One where you've maybe messed up a little by leaving but would like the chance to rectify.
    A big smile and tactful honesty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Say exactly what you've just said here! Perfectly reasonable reasons for leaving, and wanting to come back. And that you are on good terms with former employees & boss suggests they too were happy with your reasons.

No point in making up some excuse when the truth is a perfectly acceptable reason.

Agree with WeeBushy.
    I would just add - don't feel pressurized to 'over explain' your departure. Keep your answers concise, stay formal, and resist the urge to fill any awkward silences. Oh and remember that your interviewers are most likely hoping you're the answer to a problem/opening, so keep that in mind too. They save time and money on onboarding, potential misfit, etc etc

If it's a big advancement from your previous role, bear that in mind when dealing with former colleagues, and any subsequent 'reentry'. It's easier to start formal and loosen up than it would be to start over friendly and familiar and need to formalize later if you know what I mean! No matter how well you handled your departure, you will be the person who left and came back, so a slightly different work persona initially would probably be no harm.

I've done this twice over the years (ie same employers hired me twice each) - mixed results on a personal satisfaction level, but no regrets professionally. Worst case scenario it looks great on your CV: you're a proven entity - rehires look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No problem at all doing this, clearly your previous collegues think highly of you, go for it.

Advertisement