Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a shop charge to replace pedals?

Options
  • 18-10-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

It is a road bike and I have the new pedals a!ready myself and was wondering what the fee may be.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have you a 17mm spanner? Do it yourself, it's a simple job but if you have to get a shop to do it then it shouldn't be anymore than €5 as it's a 2 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Could also be a 8mm allenkey job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Have you a 17mm spanner? Do it yourself, it's a simple job but if you have to get a shop to do it then it shouldn't be anymore than €5 as it's a 2 minute job.

I've no grease for new pedals. Is that essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Chain on the big ring first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Galego wrote: »
    It is a road bike and I have the new pedals a!ready myself and was wondering what the fee may be.

Thanks.

Extremely simple job, takes 2 mins max. Just have grease for the threads. Plenty of clips on you tube and you're sorted.

• Advertisement

Extremely simple job, takes 2 mins max. Just have grease for the threads. Plenty of clips on you tube and you're sorted.

I've no grease for new pedals. Is that essential? Can I get grease cheap enough from any diy store?

That depends, are you fond of removing your pedals?

ronoc wrote: »
    That depends, are you fond of removing your pedals?

No. Replacing the ones which came with the bike to put clipless ones.

No. Replacing the ones which came with the bike to put clipless ones.

Sorry that was meant to be sarcastic. :)

You will want some lithium grease to prevent your pedals seizing in the threads and preventing eventual replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Once the original pedals aren't seized / fused in the cranks it is an easy job (especially for a mechanic, but also for the home mechanic).

However, if they are seized, it could be a little more tricky. The likelihood is that they will be easily replaced and only cost a few euro if you go to a shop (may even be free if you are buying something or getting another job done).

It will probably be cheaper and easier to get a mechanic to do it if it is a one-off job. However, if you are likely to change your pedals more than a few times, then a pedal spanner / allen key and some grease are reasonably cheap.

Good luck with the clipless pedals, remember to clip out early coming when coming to a stop! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Good luck with the clipless pedals, remember to clip out early coming when coming to a stop! ;)

Better idea: Forget to clip out just once. You'll never forget again ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Its the type of thing you might not want to do very often but you still don't want to have the hassle of going to the bike shop for every time you do want to do it. YouTube helped me figure it out and once you've done it once you'll be grand.

Wait it out til you have the grease. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

No need for the grease right away, just fit them and buy the grease in the next week or two. The pedals should still come off easily enough in that time, apply the grease and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Buy some lithium grease, it's not expensive and a tube will last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Watch this and spend your money on the grease, it will come in handy for other components at some stage anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmPkYMPVqQU

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/weldtite-tf2-lithium-grease/rp-prod5959

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Best advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Best advice so far.
    Only an issue for those who break the rules by turning their bike upside down. I've never felt the need! :p

A 17mm spanner was mentioned earlier - shouldn't that be 15mm?

OP - if you give your approx location there may be some here who would be happy to get you sorted.

I've no grease for new pedals. Is that essential? Can I get grease cheap enough from any diy store?

If you have it handy, use Vaseline. It does the job perfectly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you have it handy, use Vaseline. It does the job perfectly well.

Vaseline is petrol based so I imagine it will evaporate at room temperature. I don't see how it could keep the thread lubricated over a long period of time. These thing can be a nightmare to remove if they seize, I wouldn't be taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

15mm

• Advertisement

Only an issue for those who break the rules by turning their bike upside down. I've never felt the need! :p

A 17mm spanner was mentioned earlier - shouldn't that be 15mm?

OP - if you give your approx location there may be some here who would be happy to get you sorted.

I am in Dunshaughlin if anyone is around and willing to help.

My major issue is the grease. I've some 3 in 1 multiple purpose oil. Could that be any good? (apologies in advance if the question sounds very silly).

tuxy wrote: »
    Vaseline is petrol based so I imagine it will evaporate at room temperature. I don't see how it could keep the thread lubricated over a long period of time. These thing can be a nightmare to remove if they seize, I wouldn't be taking any chances.

No, it doesn't really evaporate, well at not least in the time frames we're talking about. Its petroleum based but is a mixture of natural mineral oils and waxes. Some of the petroleum based ingredients may evaporate over a long period but the waxes and mineral oils remain and its absolutely fine to use on threads on the likes of pedals etc etc obviously not as good as specific lithium grease but does the job perfectly well.

I fitted a set of 105 pedals on my winter bike in early 2013 and put Vaseline on the threads, they have never been off it since. I went out to the garage last night just to check them and they came off so easily. The threads were very clean and bright and there was no signs of any corrosion. That bike has been used exclusively since 2013 as a wet/winter bike and gets used all year round given our wet climate.

My major issue is the grease. I've some 3 in 1 multiple purpose oil. Could that be any good? (apologies in advance if the question sounds very silly).

Use the 3 in 1 oil for now and get some proper grease (or Vaseline) when ever you can and take them off again, clean them and grease them up and refit. They're not going to seize that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

3 in 1 oil is too thin and will dry out fairly quickly. Grease is thicker and can withstand a lot more abuse. As has been said, ungreased pedals will fuse with the cranks over time making them very difficult to remove should you wish to change pedals or put the bike in a bike box for travel.

You don't have to use lithium grease. I've always used ordinary mechanics grease and never have had any problems with it. If you know anyone involved in agriculture, they'll have loads of it.

(PS - oil will be ok as a temporary measure).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I can't believe there is a thread with 24 replies about swapping pedals...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mloc123 wrote: »
    I can't believe there is a thread with 24 replies about swapping pedals...

And not one mention that the thread direction is different for each pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

OP, just in case it is too opaque - when Carawaystick said put the chain on the big ring first he was not making some kind of inside joke. This is to protect your knuckles/hand if the pedal wrench slips off the pedals, you do not want the cogs of the big ring exposed to smash into.

Remember that the pedals do not screw on like normal nuts, they screw in in directions opposite to each other. this is so that the pedaling action operates to tighten each of them rather than loosening one of them.

Removing the old pedals can be a bitch if they are left on too long/inadequately greased. I found it impossible with the first bike i tried to replace pedals on, spent loads of time using as much leverage as I could manage.

Bike shop down the road from me (Joe Daly's in Dundrum) had a better pedal spanner and the mechanic there did it for me while I watched, refused to charge me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

crosstownk wrote: »
    And not one mention that the thread direction is different for each pedal.

Nor the best way to extend the length of the spanner!

I echo the advice of putting the chain on the big ring first. Hand slipped once and got a big cut off the teeth :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OP , buy the grease linked to earlier. You'll have it in a day or 2 and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was told a handy way to remember which way to screw on/off the pedals.

Imagine the spanner on the pedal stem with the handle pointing to the ceiling. "To go forward, you'll need pedals installed", so the spanner is turned forwards (towards the front wheel) to install the pedals. So tightening means turning anti-clockwise on the left and clockwise on the right.

Well, I found it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

On grease this is good (for pedals it won't matter but for bearing it probably will)
    http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42374#p341163

Old thread and couldn't find a mobil equivalent available now but this seems similar
    https://www.pli-petronas.com/assets/pdf/products/iml/grease/petronas-grease-lix-syn-1-1500.pdf

Advertisement