Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil water notice for Mid Galway supply 18.10.2016

Options
  • 18-10-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

A big area of the county affected.
    From Abbeyknockmoy down to Athenry/Craughwell.
    Turloughmore across past Attymon.

Map: https://services2.arcgis.com/OqejhVam51LdtxGa/arcgis/rest/services/WaterAdvisory/FeatureServer/0/2578/attachments/41

Info: https://www.water.ie/help-centre/service-updates/#gis-alert-2578
    It has come to the attention of Irish Water and Galway County Council that the public water supply served by Mid Galway Public Water Supply Scheme is/may be contaminated. On the advice of the Health Service Executive and as a precautionary measure pending further investigation, a boil water notice is being issued. Accordingly, in the interest of public health, it is recommended that all users on the Mid Galway Public Water Supply Scheme boil water before use.

Water must be boiled for:

- Drinking

- Drinks made with water

- Preparation of salads and similar foods, which are not cooked prior to eating

- Brushing of teeth

- Making of ice

You can use your Water for the following:
    - Personal hygiene, bathing and flushing of toilets but not for brushing teeth or gargling.
    - Boil water by bringing to a vigorous, rolling boil and allow to cool. Cover and store in a refrigerator or cold place. Water from the hot tap is not safe to drink.

- Domestic water filters will not render water safe to drink.
    - Caution should be taken when bathing children to ensure that they do not swallow the bathing water.
    - Discard ice cubes in fridges and freezers and filtered water in fridges. Make ice from cooled boiled water.

Only use Prepared Water (boiled and cooled) for the following:
    - Use water prepared for drinking when preparing foods that will not be cooked (e.g. washing salads).
    - Prepare infant feeds with tap water that has been brought to the boil once and cooled. Do not use water that has been re-boiled several times. If bottled water is used for the preparation of infant feeds it should be boiled once and cooled. If you are using bottled water for preparing baby food, be aware that some natural mineral water may have high sodium content.

For further information please contact the Irish Water Customer Contact Centre on 1850 278 278.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jaysus one day's rain and the water infrastructure shuts down
    Thank god we NEVER drink the tap water anyway
    How many months will this last for .....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks for the heads up.
    We have one of these water filter taps........is it safe to drink the water from this tap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

From
    https://www.water.ie/help-centre/service-updates/#gis-alert-2578

Domestic water filters will not render water safe to drink.

This may refer to either water jug filters or tap filters or both. Not sure I would want to risk it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not one of these Irish Water bashers, but if I recall correctly, when the council was in charge, whenever there was a boil notice the council would send out a tanker with clean water. As yet with any notice under Irish Water, there hasn't been any assistance in getting clean water.

Any more updates on this? Presume it's not safe yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Can i ask what are the symptons after drinking.. Just reading this now after two of us in the house feel a bit crappy and that was after a dry Friday... Thought the filetered water would be ok but i see not

Does anybody know if the boil water notice is still active ? Or where to check ?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Irish Water on Twitter this morning when asked about this...

@IWCare
    Hi, we're working to resolve this. We're not aware of a timeframe & will continue to tweet & update http://wtr.ie/Galway

Is it ok to use a dishwasher in this situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

boil water notice lifted
    they just tweeted it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

great stuff. defo thouhgt we got a bad batch of water at the weekend felt rotten

Good that the boil water notice has been lifted.

When the boil water notice was in place, would it have afffected the dishwasher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

obi604 wrote: »
    Good that the boil water notice has been lifted.

When the boil water notice was in place, would it have afffected the dishwasher ?

Dishwasher is safe, just not safe for ingestion

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

flazio wrote: »
    I'm not one of these Irish Water bashers, but if I recall correctly, when the council was in charge, whenever there was a boil notice the council would send out a tanker with clean water. As yet with any notice under Irish Water, there hasn't been any assistance in getting clean water.

Maybe in the city, but out in the county there were many areas under boil notice for years at a time. Where I bought, there was a boil notice for over a decade and was only lifted when all the infrastructure was replaced.

Advertisement