Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just tumbled off my new bike due to brakes!

Options
  • 19-10-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi there,

So I have a bike shop that I like, I've now bought 2 bikes there (your basic city bike) over a number of years. My second I bought a few days ago, and this morning I rode it to work. As I turned, my brakes pulled, by themselves!, and I went tumbling off my bike. I've taken a look since, and it looks like the cable for the bike is too short, so anytime the bike is turned a certain amount, it pulls the brake cable.

It's given me such a shock! I'm here in work, my pants are ripped and I'm extremely sore all inside my legs from the bike hitting me as I struggled to stay on. I don't want to cause trouble for the bike shop. I've rang them and they told me to bring it in, which means wheeling it from work into town. What should I expect? Leave the bike with them for a few days and get the cable replaced? This means bussing to work for the week, which is not suitable, and I've sold my old bike. I've never been in a situation like this before, but I do feel kind of upset with them, surely the length of a bike brake cable is a pretty standard thing to neglect?

Any advice, anyone had anything similar happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Would it be possible the handlebars were turned 360 degrees? If so the front brake cable won't be following the correct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

guil wrote: »
    Would it be possible the handlebars were turned 360 degrees? If so the front brake cable won't be following the correct route.

That's what he said on the phone may have happened, but no, the handlebar is on solid, doesn't look twisted or caught, just short.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

You might get better responses in the Cycling forum - ask a mod nicely to move the thread if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a cycling issue and a potential consumer issue here - if the cable is in fact too short, the bicycle is defective.

The cycling forum regulars would have a much better understanding of what could be the issue but if the OP wants to discuss the consumer rights side of it this is probably a better place for it. If they want it moved to the Cycling forum, that can be done.

L1011 wrote: »
    There's a cycling issue and a potential consumer issue here - if the cable is in fact too short, the bicycle is defective.

The cycling forum regulars would have a much better understanding of what could be the issue but if the OP wants to discuss the consumer rights side of it this is probably a better place for it. If they want it moved to the Cycling forum, that can be done.

Thanks! I'm interested in the consumer rights side of things. Assuming the bike is faulty, does anyone have any information on how to deal with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Let some slack out in the cable and it should fix it.

What type of brakes are they

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The bike itself isn't faulty or defective - brake cables are a consumable item. So a replacement of the affected brake cable would be an appropriate remedy in this case.

A bit like if you bought a car and one of the tyres ran flat 50m out of the forecourt - you would get them to replace the tyre, you wouldn't say the whole car is defective.

Chances are whoever put the bike together didn't cut the cables to the correct length, or routed them incorrectly. If you can take a picture of the bike's handlebars from above, and the front of the bike from all 3 sides, I should be able to tell you what's wrong.

I do find it strange though that you've ridden the bike for a few days and the issue has only appeared now. This would indicate to me that something else has happened, such as the bars being rotated 360 degrees or someone messing with your brakes.

seamus wrote: »
    The bike itself isn't faulty or defective - brake cables are a consumable item. So a replacement of the affected brake cable would be an appropriate remedy in this case.

A bit like if you bought a car and one of the tyres ran flat 50m out of the forecourt - you would get them to replace the tyre, you wouldn't say the whole car is defective.

Chances are whoever put the bike together didn't cut the cables to the correct length, or routed them incorrectly. If you can take a picture of the bike's handlebars from above, and the front of the bike from all 3 sides, I should be able to tell you what's wrong.

I do find it strange though that you've ridden the bike for a few days and the issue has only appeared now. This would indicate to me that something else has happened, such as the bars being rotated 360 degrees or someone messing with your brakes.

Hey Seamus will do after work! The handlebars certainly are not moving at all. Haven't been riding the bike as it was raining!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I'd expect them to collect the bike from you at the very least..did you explain that you were injured when you fell off? Ask them to bring a replacement with them also ..

Colser wrote: »
    I'd expect them to collect the bike from you at the very least..did you explain that you were injured when you fell off? Ask them to bring a replacement with them also ..

I did explain I was injured, it was before 9am, and he was very nice about it to be fair. I told him I'd have to wheel the bike into town, and he said grand. I probably wont be able to today. It's quite clearly a short cable to me anyways, I turn the handle to the right and the cable stretches and turns. I can turn it slightly no problem, so it didn't happen until I finally turned the bar that extra bit.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Let some slack out in the cable and it should fix it.

What type of brakes are they

Just brakes? I don't know, normal ones :( I'm not sure what you mean about slack, I guess you'd need tools for it. Anyways, I'm sure he'll fix it for me when I bring it in. But I need to go Doctor, he obv won't pay for that, I'd be a bit morto to even ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Stephenc66

guil wrote: »
    louloumc89 wrote: »
    That's what he said on the phone may have happened, but no, the handlebar is on solid, doesn't look twisted or caught, just short.

guil by turned 360 do you mean the handle bars and front wheel have been turned 360 (if that's possible?) or just the handle bar and stem (if that is the correct term?). Just as I read the OPs reply to you I think he is assuming lose handle bars. Am I taking you up correctly OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks Melendez! That's very helpful. Well look they'll fix up the bike, I've only just bought it. Is there a forum on the tort law that this could be moved to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Take pictures of the bike & short cables etc before handing it back.

If the bike is damaged beyond the brake issue i would be looking for this to be repaired or a new bike replaced.

Call them a request a spare bike for the duration. They probably have some used ones they could loan to you.

If you want to claim some money from them for a doctor visit and your torn clothes you can discuss this with him directly but if he refuses you will need to seek legal advice.

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    guil by turned 360 do you mean the handle bars and front wheel have been turned 360 (if that's possible?) or just the handle bar and stem (if that is the correct term?). Just as I read the OPs reply to you I think he is assuming lose handle bars. Am I taking you up correctly OP?

No I meant by turning the handlebars and the wheel turns as normal with them. Go 360 degress and the handlebar and wheel is in the right orientation but the front brake cable will be wrapped around the handlebar stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Thanks Melendez! That's very helpful. Well look they'll fix up the bike, I've only just bought it. Is there a forum on the tort law that this could be moved to?

The Legal Discussion forum does not allow advice. You'll be directed to a solicitor there, so I'll save you the move :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    The Legal Discussion forum does not allow advice. You'll be directed to a solicitor there, so I'll save you the move :pac:

Yea to be honest I don't think I'd ever go that route. Badly bruised all over this evening, ended up getting a friend to fix the bike, the back wheel was also fitted wrong. Joke. Im not going to bother pursing even fixing the bike with them. I just won't ever be going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you don't persue this with the shop, and let them know about the build issues, then it's possible they will have other bikes with the same issue and other people may also experience issues.

Even if you don't want anything from the shop, it's best to let them know. If they're anyway decent, they'll be embarrassed by this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You see a lot of kids bike put together wrong, especially the front foork and brake I dunno if thats the parents putting it together or the shop.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You see a lot of kids bike put together wrong, especially the front foork and brake I dunno if thats the parents putting it together or the shop.

Would you believe I was going to mention that last night. I bought a bike for my sons birthday in Halfords and had them assemble it. As I was walking out of the store with it I noticed the forks were backwards. It's only a 12/14 inch bike and has the older type of brakes that the brake wire sticks straight up out of the calliper. The fella I brought it back to was pretty passed off the way it was assembled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

dudara wrote: »
    If you don't persue this with the shop, and let them know about the build issues, then it's possible they will have other bikes with the same issue and other people may also experience issues.

Even if you don't want anything from the shop, it's best to let them know. If they're anyway decent, they'll be embarrassed by this

It is also possible that you will run into other fault issues further down the line in the warranty period that will get complicated if you have chosen to start fixing stuff yourself.

Advertisement