Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird wiring.. Trying to fit new lights?

Options
  • 19-10-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all, we bought a house a few months back and after a certain amount of work we are out of money so trying to DIY a last few things such as changing some dated light fittings, house was built in 90's. So in living room there are two lights, one either side of fireplace, first light my husband takes off fitting and discovers there are 5 wires, he thinks this is odd but wires it up and light is working, mind you there are two wires left over that have to be taped off. takes 2nd light fitting off and there are 4 wires instead of 5 from the other identical light, these are 2 brown and 2 blue, no apparent earth wire, could one of the wires be a earth wire? he still attempted it but now the first light isn't working at all, is it because they are linked? It's the same switch for both. My husband is very confused, I think we prob have to get an electrician now even though we can't really afford it! Any advice we should try before that? Is it very unusual to have 4/5 wires in a fitting? He noticed the outdoor light also has 5 wires.
    Also if anyone can give me rough idea of how much to pay to get lights fitted that would great.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thestones wrote: »
    Hi all, we bought a house a few months back and after a certain amount of work we are out of money so trying to DIY a last few things such as changing some dated light fittings, house was built in 90's. So in living room there are two lights, one either side of fireplace, first light my husband takes off fitting and discovers there are 5 wires, he thinks this is odd but wires it up and light is working, mind you there are two wires left over that have to be taped off. takes 2nd light fitting off and there are 4 wires instead of 5 from the other identical light, these are 2 brown and 2 blue, no apparent earth wire, could one of the wires be a earth wire? he still attempted it but now the first light isn't working at all, is it because they are linked? It's the same switch for both. My husband is very confused, I think we prob have to get an electrician now even though we can't really afford it! Any advice we should try before that? Is it very unusual to have 4/5 wires in a fitting? He noticed the outdoor light also has 5 wires.
    Also if anyone can give me rough idea of how much to pay to get lights fitted that would great.
    Thanks in advance.

It's not unusual to have 4 or 5 wires at a light but this sounds like a classic case of someone who doesn't really know what they're doing just joining all the blue wires together and all brown wires together although I'm not quite sure why you would have 2 wires left over.
    It would not take long for an electrician to fit these lights and you may have to bite the bullet and get one to come over and have a look at it. I have no idea how much it would cost but it shouldn't be overly expensive and will ensure that your lights work and are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As above there is a strong chance that these lights have now been left in an unsafe condition. With electrical work competence is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Thanks, I will organise an electrician, I don't want to be worried about any safety issues.

Advertisement