Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying when 2-3 weeks pregnant

Options
  • 19-10-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my wife once heard someone say that it is risky to fly when in early stages of pregnancy. We have recently found out my wife is pregnant (1-2 weeks) and are flying to Spain this weekend. I can't find anything online that advises against it, as long as the doctor clears it. We have a doctors appointment booked for tomorrow so should hopefully get the all clear. Has anyone else heard anything about the dangers like that? It seems to be only from 6 months on from what I can see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

There's no dangers with flying in early pregnancy, the only reason they don't want you flying late in pregnancy if all is healthy and proceeding normally is that you might give birth on the plane, not ideal :) When people miscarry they often look for things to blame as they grieve, it was unfair of her friend to lay that on your wife.

If your wife is getting 1-2 weeks results she's 2-4 weeks pregnant so will be slightly further along when flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

God love your wife's friend, she's probably just very hungry for a reason why she had a miscarriage. My doc or hospital have never mentioned anything about not flying in early pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've seen plenty of pregnant women on holidays. If you were to ask your wife why she thinks her friend miscarried she'd probably give a different reason than the flight.
    Stressing about the flight is probably causing more harm.

There is something about hot tubs and spas think she has to stay clear of them just in case the warnings are in spanish and she doesn't see them.

Try not to worry, you can't really control the next 9mts and you'll have this fear inside you no matter what until you can actually hold the baby and they get the all clear.
    Enjoy your beers and designated driver as that's all going to change:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

I flew at 9 and 10 weeks....no problems. Doctor was fine with it, no objections at all. Feel like the break away did me the world of good....was definitely a trip myself and my husband will treasure the memory of forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Cheers all, thought as much and I'm sure the doc will say the same. Will be nice to go away to celebrate the news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

While pregnant with my 4 year old daughter I flew at 8 weeks, 20 weeks and 28 weeks. I didn't fly at all during a subsequent pregnancy I had that ended in miscarriage at 10 weeks. On my third pregnancy (now an 8 month old son) I flew at 4 weeks and 20 weeks with no issue at all. I think your wife's friend is looking for something to blame the miscarriage on. There's no medical reason not to fly when pregnant. The advise is always to ensure to stay hydrated and to move around frequently. Enjoy the holiday!

Advertisement