Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do married fathers envy or pity childless single men and vice versa?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

How do you even know what happiness is? Too subjective imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How do you even know what happiness is? Too subjective imo.

And what is love? Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

orubiru wrote: »
    I wasn't saying one side or the other is correct here.

Nor me, it all comes down to the individual, there is no right or wrong.
    I'm just questioning whether happiness is a valid metric of measurement for saying one life choice is better than another.

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" as the yanks would have it seems like a pretty reasonable aspiration from where I'm sitting. Though being happy is very different from being content, and sometimes happiness comes from achieving something that involves a lot of effort. Doesn't necessarily involve kids, could be climbing a mountain, curing a disease or writing a book. I don't think anyone is happy all the time either, life invariably has its ups and downs.

What is hurt? Perhaps my hurt is your happiness and my love is your hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Myself and my husband aren't really too interested in having children. Are two more of us really what the world needs? A gigantic cull of humans is more my preference. I also sympathise with parents because mostly they seem crap at raising children, hate it and have no free time. I'm a primary school teacher and I love being around children, but I also like being able to return them and being myself again. Also the world is just terrible, I'm going to have to make a lot of compromises to be willing to bring another person into it.

I'm a primary school teacher…

'Okay, class. Settle down now. Today's lesson is 'You are all nothing but a shítstain on Mother Earth and deserve to die!'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cheers, can't get the effing tune out of my head now.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Myself and my husband aren't really too interested in having children. Are two more of us really what the world needs? A gigantic cull of humans is more my preference. I also sympathise with parents because mostly they seem crap at raising children, hate it and have no free time. I'm a primary school teacher and I love being around children, but I also like being able to return them and being myself again. Also the world is just terrible, I'm going to have to make a lot of compromises to be willing to bring another person into it.

I always thought people that used "the world is terrible" argument were angst ridden teenagers. :D relax and chill Ireland isn't Somalia. If my kids teachers are anything to go by, the childless ones are a bit daft. :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

happily married with four kids.

We married young and kids came along just over a year later - so we were parents in our mid twenties. Then we had 4 in quick succession, so the fourth arrived before we turned 30.

Certainly there were times during that exhausting period when I really envied some of our friends who were still single, going out at night and having fun. Especially since we were struggling with sleep deprivation. We never left them with a babysitter to this day, occasionally left them with siblings/parents when we went to a wedding or something. But our social life disappeared entirely.

Now the eldest has turned 17, youngest will soon also be a teenager. Life is our own again now, we can go out to eat without needing a babysitter if we want to, though tbh we are out of the habit and funding four teenagers means we have better focuses for disposable income anyway.

Have never pitied single/childless friends other than a small few who I know really wanted to have kids or find a partner. Did envy them at one point, don't at all now. Most of those I envied in the past probably now envy us that our kids are that bit more independent.

Only thing we did miss out on is that we have never done the backpacking around the world thing, we settled down too young for that. Would have loved to travel asia/south america with my wife when we were younger. I suppose there is no reason why we can't do so in a few years when the kids are older still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have three nephews, I love them, I like spending time with them. They're getting to an age where they miss me and appreciate the time I spend with them. All that said, though, the idea that I couldn't just toss them back towards their parents when I'm sick of them; of being solely responsible for them all the time is utterly horrifying to me. I love my free time, I love my independence, I cherish my alone time. I stay up late when possible, I always have a lie in when work doesn't force me out of bed. I like nice things, I like my home being for adults; being tidy. The absolute chaos that reigns morning, noon, and night when I stay with them erodes something inside me; something I think would break fairly quickly if it was my every day.

If I end up an old man with no one to look after me then so be it; because I know now and I'll know then that having children would have been far too high a price to pay.

Obviously not everyone feels that way; I can accept that, but it is not for me. I feel like laughing hysterically when someone smugly tells me I'll change my mind. I know my own mind, I most certainly will not.

As for people with kids? Someone of them seem to love it, despite the price they have to pay - what's to pity there? I have seen some people who seem to deeply resent their lifestyle and their obligations, and I pity them a very great deal: what an awful obligation to inflict on yourself for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I can't imagine life without my children. Its hectic but every one I know has some pressure, no one is immune. My kids are grounding for me, they remind me of what's important and stop me getting too caught up in the unimportant. I have a great balance between time to myself and family/work time. That gets me through the tough times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

thats an unanswerable question as it entirely depends on the individual

Also a leading question, its trying to set out that one is better than another.

For a long time, society had it that you had failed in life if you didn't get married and have kids.

'on the shelf' etc etc.

More so for women than men, but nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

silverharp wrote:
    I always thought people that used "the world is terrible" argument were angst ridden teenagers. relax and chill Ireland isn't Somalia. If my kids teachers are anything to go by, the childless ones are a bit daft.
    Well I'm 26, so I figure it would be pretty irresponsible of me to have children yet anyway, only just having finished being a child myself.

If you don't see that the world is terrible, I admire your complacency. The balance of power is tipped in favour of the West now, but the amount of poverty and homelessness indicates to me that economically, we're not doing too well. I really could do without having to protect a small fragile person when it all inevitably goes to shit in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

In fairness, our grand parents were born or alive during ww2 and it's aftermath, followed by the cold war and the threat of nuclear winter, this is no different except that maybe we are hitting the tipping point of lack of resilience that has us more worried about offending people in the virtual world than survival in the physical!
    The challenges of today are just variations on the same themes as previous generations faced, maybe opting out is a little bit of Darwin in action :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

The way I look at it, two years ago I wass a 28 year old single guy trying to rack up as much tail as I possibly could. Loving life, doing what I want, wasting money. Now I have a 6 month old baby and while my life is a lot different Im equally happy. I dont envy or pity other men, its not my life. I enjoy stories from my best friend in Asia what shenanigans hes up to but in the same way I like telling him what Im doing as a family man.

• Advertisement

When married fathers (or fathers that aren't married too) look at me, I can feel a very deep sense of envy pouring out of their souls...

The moment they look at me, you can see in their eyes that they are looking at the man they wish they could be... but know they never can be!

I know this sounds very cocky and arrogant... but it's the truth - and I am very perceptive at seeing these signs!

It gets to the point I almost do pity them... even though I know the question of this thread was directed towards their pity for me! lol

Part of me wants to show them the light... but alas I know it's too late for many of them. And I'm also aware that not everyone can/should live such an incredibly fulfilling and satisfying life. This world needs people willing (or deluded enough) to devote the best years of their lives to raising other human beings and all the crazy lunacy that accompanies that particular choice...

Most days I sleep very sound however, despite feeling very sad for many of these people. The main reason for this, is because I am convinced that they truly do not comprehend the alternate life that they turned their backs on... so in a sense, they are not really missing out. (from their perspective) So I take a great deal of solace from that piece of knowledge! :)

How can I be so sure of this fact? It's very simple, nobody would turn down MY existence if they truly understood what they were rejecting! (No sane person anyway!) :P

I love children btw - just in case anyone is wondering - but that's hardly the point really. It's not about liking or disliking children... It's about what lifestyle you want to have! (That is an important point to clarify, I feel)

Peace brothers! :D
    :pac: You must see the irony right

psinno wrote: »
    Whenever married men talk about being married there isn't much that sells the idea to me but their lives are about doing what floats their boat not what floats mine.

Dont tell anyone this, its a dirty secret. Being married really is no different to having a serious partner. Shhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think it's all a matter of perspective and what you get used to. I was engaged and we had all the plans for kids and a house etc., and I honestly couldn't wait for it. I have a lot of friends with kids and I love spending time with them. Now my own situation has changed and I'm back single again at 32 (never made it to having kids with the ex), and to be honest I haven't been happier in a long time. I still admire my friends with kids, and might still want my own in the future, but to be honest I just see kids as being an obstacle to the freedom I'm afforded at the moment.
    I think in direct response to the op I do envy my friends with kids, I would like to have my own one day, but conversely I definitely wouldn't want to be pitied for not having any of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sometimes I envy their free time and space especially when family life is demanding but it's really just cherry picking as I would never change it if I had the choice to go back to being single /childless.

Assuming that single /childless men envy attached /parental life though is pretty patronizing unless you know their specific situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Zero envy for married friends, with or without little humans crawling around, and some occasional pity.

I myself have been, repeatedly, through the "you'll change your mind!" bullsh1t; I won't. I have been in at least one "serious relationship", live together et all and, while there were good moments and (especially at the beginning) it was easy to get comfortable, I simply wasn't myself and on the long run, it was having devastating effects - including putting up about 20kg on the scale.

I had to give it a try, see if by any chance I'd be in the wrong and everyone else right; Turns out that, surprise, I know myself better than anyone else does; I was missing being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I felt like; From the big things like traveling alone to discover places, to the silly dailies like leaving the dishes in the sink overnight if I didn't want to wash them up straight away. As someone who has a lot of different interests, it was also incredibly frustrating to be unable to pursue any of them in favour of "movie nights on the couch", "sunday lunches at the in-laws" and "saturday trips to the shopping centre".

The only way I'd enter a relationship again would be with someone truly extraordinary, highly intelligent and extremely independent which has a life of her own and doesn't carry the "I am defined by my relationship" bug; A very rare occurrence.

Still, even at that point I couldn't imagine wanting kids - yeah, they're cute for a little bit, but they're also...boring when very young, and infuriating when older :D
    I have a 4 years old nephew in Italy; Sure, I like to play with him and do stuff when I'm over there, but it's for a few hours at a time and then - a week or so later - I jump on a plane only to reappear in 7-8 months at the earliest. I can't even begin to imagine putting up with that nonsense on a 24/7/365 basis...and then with the "dad, I may have totaled the car" stuff later on :D

I meet yearly with some old friends - my classmates from "high school", both guys and girls. We're all the same age (35-36 now), just 3 or 4 of us out of 20 are not married and child free - and we look and sound about 10 years younger than everyone else.

About the "legacy", I don't see why would anyone care...I mean, I'll be dead anyway, at that point I certainly won't give a damn about anything, really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Zero envy for married friends, with or without little humans crawling around, and some occasional pity.

I myself have been, repeatedly, through the "you'll change your mind!" bullsh1t; I won't. I have been in at least one "serious relationship", live together et all and, while there were good moments and (especially at the beginning) it was easy to get comfortable, I simply wasn't myself and on the long run, it was having devastating effects - including putting up about 20kg on the scale.

I had to give it a try, see if by any chance I'd be in the wrong and everyone else right; Turns out that, surprise, I know myself better than anyone else does; I was missing being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I felt like; From the big things like traveling alone to discover places, to the silly dailies like leaving the dishes in the sink overnight if I didn't want to wash them up straight away. As someone who has a lot of different interests, it was also incredibly frustrating to be unable to pursue any of them in favour of "movie nights on the couch", "sunday lunches at the in-laws" and "saturday trips to the shopping centre".

The only way I'd enter a relationship again would be with someone truly extraordinary, highly intelligent and extremely independent which has a life of her own and doesn't carry the "I am defined by my relationship" bug; A very rare occurrence.

Still, even at that point I couldn't imagine wanting kids - yeah, they're cute for a little bit, but they're also...boring when very young, and infuriating when older :D
    I have a 4 years old nephew in Italy; Sure, I like to play with him and do stuff when I'm over there, but it's for a few hours at a time and then - a week or so later - I jump on a plane only to reappear in 7-8 months at the earliest. I can't even begin to imagine putting up with that nonsense on a 24/7/365 basis...and then with the "dad, I may have totaled the car" stuff later on :D

I meet yearly with some old friends - my classmates from "high school", both guys and girls. We're all the same age (35-36 now), just 3 or 4 of us out of 20 are not married and child free - and we look and sound about 10 years younger than everyone else.

About the "legacy", I don't see why would anyone care...I mean, I'll be dead anyway, at that point I certainly won't give a damn about anything, really :)

the part in bold, definitely.
    I love going out every weekend, whether its to the local or into town , a gig, a nightclub, going out in different cities. Partying is something I really enjoy, I don't know why, but a lot of women are all too happy for this to be the first thing you give up when in a relationship.

Sitting in, sober, watching tv and going to bed before 2am will never be fun to me, no matter who I'm with or how much I enjoy their company.

Also trips to ikea or having to do any kind of family oriented craic (especially when its not my family) on a weekend is the absolute lowest of my priorities.

Sitting in, sober, watching tv and going to bed before 2am will never be fun to me.

The thing is there will be a point where this ends up being way more appealing than going out to a night-club. I had a heavy weekend off it this weekend and I feel absolutely miserable now - couldn't be hacking that every week. I loved partying, hitting the clubs and listening to quality jungle and techno but I wouldn't have the stamina for it now.

I can't say I envy or pity* anyone for their lifestyle choices - they're living their lives and I'm living mine and if there are as content with their lot as I am then fair play to them. I wouldn't feel the need to run others down for their choices in life - do people do that to justify their own life decisions? I don't know…

* The obvious caveat is people whose lifestyle has been curtailed by illness or fertility issues etc that mean they are not able to do the things in life they wish to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

fenris wrote: »
    In fairness, our grand parents were born or alive during ww2 and it's aftermath, followed by the cold war and the threat of nuclear winter, this is no different except that maybe we are hitting the tipping point of lack of resilience that has us more worried about offending people in the virtual world than survival in the physical!
    The challenges of today are just variations on the same themes as previous generations faced, maybe opting out is a little bit of Darwin in action :-)

Now thats a fantastic post

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

Some people have experience of both being single / childless or married with children.
    Im pretty sure they can give better advice than anyone who only has experience if one side of that equation.

I would listen to them.

I love going out every weekend, whether its to the local or into town , a gig, a nightclub, going out in different cities. Partying is something I really enjoy, I don't know why, but a lot of women are all too happy for this to be the first thing you give up when in a relationship.

Myself and hubby were actually discussing this over the weekend.

By the time we hooked up I was already bored with and no longer doing the weekend party thing. I still went to pubs/clubs/gigs for events - birthdays etc... but I wasnt doing it just because it was Saturday night - which I had done for years before that.

I dont really think its a gender thing or a relationship thing not being into the party life - its more just a boredom thing. For me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sitting in, sober, watching tv and going to bed before 2am will never be fun to me, no matter who I'm with or how much I enjoy their company.

I find that so bizarre. I am the complete opposite. If I go out on weekends these days I am counting the minutes before I can make an excuse and be home doing something actually entertaining rather than paying for expensive booze and shouting over music trying to hear idiots.

Sitting in watching normal TV with ads and whatever happens to be on? Sure, that's mind numbing. But watching specific good shows, picking a movie, playing computer games, playing a board game with a couple friends, reading...tons of stuff to do that's far better than getting plastered for ten times what you'd pay for at home.

It's got nothing to do with relationships for me. It does for other people, I'm sure. Most people go out because deep down they're looking for attention. They rarely talk about it - we usually say it'll be fun, have a drink, dance the night away - but really they're after the ride, sometimes chasing self-validation through attention from others. That would obviously not be an issue once they're with someone.

Myself and hubby were actually discussing this over the weekend.

By the time we hooked up I was already bored with and no longer doing the weekend party thing. I still went to pubs/clubs/gigs for events - birthdays etc... but I wasnt doing it just because it was Saturday night - which I had done for years before that.

I dont really think its a gender thing or a relationship thing not being into the party life - its more just a boredom thing. For me anyway.

Let me be specific that by "interests" I never meant, even remotely, partying, going to clubs, drinking et all. Those are not "interests", they are "socializing" - and for some (me...) "things you do because everyone else does".

What I'm talking about are actual, "anytime you can do it" hobbies - from reading to videogames (both playing and designing, although I never finished one single project!), from computing to building model airplanes and railways, with a side of amateur astronomy, tinkering with the car, electronics, going for a random drive and a couple of others. Stuff that, basically, IS what I am. Every time I've been in a relationship I had to basically forget about it all for the duration of the "arrangement". Heck, often I even had to give up the gym, which I would class into the "don't enjoy but don't hate it and absolutely need it" category.

Some will say I've been unlucky to essentially meet women who had no interests of their own and "latch on" their partners in order to have something to do, and they'd have a very good point; On the other hand, I see the same in almost all of my married friends, ladies and gentlemen alike, so it's not as rare an occurrence as one would imagine...

Also trips to ikea or having to do any kind of family oriented craic (especially when its not my family) on a weekend is the absolute lowest of my priorities.

I firmly believe that it's possible to have a relationship that doesn't involve trips to shopping centres and nights in watching tv. It is something I've heard mentioned so many times, people afraid of that kind of life. It's not for me either. The very idea of Sunday dinner with the in laws and "we'll just have the one drink Persepoly" strikes dread in my heart.
    But. It hasn't stopped me from dating or put me off relationships.

Indeed, you don't see many 40 year olds out partying ........... it's not because they all can't :)

Let me be specific that by "interests" I never meant, even remotely, partying, going to clubs, drinking et all. Those are not "interests", they are "socializing" - and for some (me...) "things you do because everyone else does".

What I'm talking about are actual, "anytime you can do it" hobbies - from reading to videogames (both playing and designing, although I never finished one single project!), from computing to building model airplanes and railways, with a side of amateur astronomy, tinkering with the car, electronics, going for a random drive and a couple of others. Stuff that, basically, IS what I am. Every time I've been in a relationship I had to basically forget about it all for the duration of the "arrangement". Heck, often I even had to give up the gym, which I would class into the "don't enjoy but don't hate it and absolutely need it" category.

Some will say I've been unlucky to essentially meet women who had no interests of their own and "latch on" their partners in order to have something to do, and they'd have a very good point; On the other hand, I see the same in almost all of my married friends, ladies and gentlemen alike, so it's not as rare an occurrence as one would imagine...

Yeah, giving up that stuff that you enjoy is unhealthy and never going to be the makings of a good relationship. I've probably more interests that I pursue now as a married man with children than I would have had as a single man in my early twenties the primary one back then was pretty much getting wasted. I try my hand at producing music, do a regularish podcast with friends that I try to do a bit of research on before each show and I spend my unwinding time gaming and check out music and trying to get back into reading. I still spend time chilling on the couch watching telly but it's not the sole thing that we do together. I think it's important to have interests and to show your kids that you have hobbies and in turn try and help them out with theirs.

• Advertisement

Well thats not healthy at all!!

My husband has his interests, I have mine, we have some that are shared and we both go to the gym - separately, together sometimes! I could never be n a relationship with someone who didnt have their own interests.

But why did you have to abandon your interests in a relationship? Surely thats more a reflection on how you choose to be in a relationship? Frankly Id turn into a serial killer if I didnt get to engage in my own interests. And they dont involve shopping/Ikea (gods what torture) or family events!

I do know the type of person you mean though - they seem to get into a relationship with the view that the other person is there to entertain them? Its odd. Not normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

thats an unanswerable question as it entirely depends on the individual

So it can be answered by individuals :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Have a son who's 3 end the month and herself is due a girl around same time also!

Where together 6 years she's from day one been my friend first and foremost always had kind of relationship where we just accepted each other for who we where and believe me I'm not the easiest person to accept!

Between my job college being in a long term relationship and having a young child I rarely get time to myself and these days seeing me mates can be rare.

I stay in touch with everyone though and as much as I'd love more time I love the time I spend with my son and my gf.

I think the fact I don't see my parents and brothers as much either made me a lot closer to them to.

Bascially the time I spend with my family now feels amazing and I wouldn't change that for anything. If I lost any of it I genuinely wouldn't know what to do with myself!

Some of the simplest things can be worth so much more! Tell ya nothing beats making my son breakfast on my day off especially something he's never tried before ha.

I firmly believe that it's possible to have a relationship that doesn't involve trips to shopping centres and nights in watching tv. It is something I've heard mentioned so many times, people afraid of that kind of life. It's not for me either. The very idea of Sunday dinner with the in laws and "we'll just have the one drink Persepoly" strikes dread in my heart.
    But. It hasn't stopped me from dating or put me off relationships.

Ohh by all means it is , I just think , as another poster illustrated above , that there are a lot of people who purely go party to find a partner / don't really enjoy it and would love someone else to be with to drop off the scene.

It wouldn't put me off dating or a relationship, It would have me screening a bit more closely though, and you occasionally have to deal with the resentment or anger setting in from your partner when they find out that you weren't just going out to find someone to never go out again with.

Ive seen some of the most social friends I've ever had get together and never venture out past midnight again,
    I usually don't get the female perspective but having a few quiet drinks with the lads will have most of them complaining about it "sure she keeps dragging me home at 12" "If I stay out till 3 ill have her grumpy for a week" etc…

Ohh by all means it is , I just think , as another poster illustrated above , that there are a lot of people who purely go party to find a partner / don't really enjoy it and would love someone else to be with to drop off the scene.

It wouldn't put me off dating or a relationship, It would have me screening a bit more closely though, and you occasionally have to deal with the resentment or anger setting in from your partner when they find out that you weren't just going out to find someone to never go out again with.

Ive seen some of the most social friends I've ever had get together and never venture out past midnight again,
    I usually don't get the female perspective but having a few quiet drinks with the lads will have most of them complaining about it "sure she keeps dragging me home at 12" "If I stay out till 3 ill have her grumpy for a week" etc…

I agree with you there. It seems that for quite a few the partying is so they can find a partner.
    Also I could never get my head around the attitude you mention in the last sentence of your post. What is the big deal? Is it a trust thing or a kind of "you can only have fun with me". We all have our insecurities and there is nothing like a relationship to turn them up to 100.

I agree with you there. It seems that for quite a few the partying is so they can find a partner.
    Also I could never get my head around the attitude you mention in the last sentence of your post. What is the big deal? Is it a trust thing or a kind of "you can only have fun with me". We all have our insecurities and there is nothing like a relationship to turn them up to 100.

Thats the answer i'd love. If you can't trust your partner whats the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What's this child-free thing? I've never came across it before.

Weird thing to say from people who have never experienced thing they're referring to. Are you brother-free, sister-free, father-free, dog-free, cat-free?

Anyway, regarding fatherhood? Just have kids and keep doing cool sheet. The partying will stop anyway unless you're gonna be that one fifty year old weirdo getting down with the kids and being "edgy".

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What's this child-free thing? I've never came across it before.

Weird thing to say from people who have never experienced thing they're referring to. Are you brother-free, sister-free, father-free, dog-free, cat-free?

Anyway, regarding fatherhood? Just have kids and keep doing cool sheet. The partying will stop anyway unless you're gonna be that one fifty year old weirdo getting down with the kids and being "edgy".

I'm a woman but I think I'll take my chances being a fifty year old weirdo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Riazor

Agree with this 100%. I've a mate and he recently moved in with his GF, he was they guy always organising nights out twice or three times a week. Now it's rare to see him out once a month. He basically abandoned his social group for this girl.

A lads holiday overlapped his moving in, it was paid for so he decided to go. He said something during this holiday that quite frankly scared me.

"I have to take herself away for a few days after this or she won't talk to me for a week, the thoughts of it"

Fcuk that!

• Advertisement

Riazor wrote: »
    Agree with this 100%. I've a mate and he recently moved in with his GF, he was they guy always organising nights out twice or three times a week. Now it's rare to see him out once a month. He basically abandoned his social group for this girl.

A lads holiday overlapped his moving in, it was paid for so he decided to go. He said something during this holiday that quite frankly scared me.

"I have to take herself away for a few days after this or she won't talk to me for a week, the thoughts of it"

Fcuk that!

I wouldn't dream of allowing anyone control me in such a manner. Nor would I want a relationship where my partner was so easily led. If I treated himself that way he wouldn't be long about ending things.

People are not our posessions. We can't put chains on them in order to quieten our own issues.

Well thats not healthy at all!!

My husband has his interests, I have mine, we have some that are shared and we both go to the gym - separately, together sometimes! I could never be n a relationship with someone who didnt have their own interests.

Yep, my own parents (now in their early 60s, still married and not wishing to "off" each other ) have been like that all the time - each of them having their own interests and activities throughout the day on a daily basis.
    But why did you have to abandon your interests in a relationship? Surely thats more a reflection on how you choose to be in a relationship? Frankly Id turn into a serial killer if I didnt get to engage in my own interests. And they dont involve shopping/Ikea (gods what torture) or family events!

It was a forced "choice" - basically, that way or end the relationship under the accusation of "not caring" and being a "selfish pr1ck".

Any time I'd (try) to do something I enjoyed, I'd encounter a lot of passive-aggression along the lines of sulking, silences, long faces and even smug remarks such as "oh please, don't get distracted from your [whatever I was trying to do]", basically making me feel guilty for just being who I am; And before anybody walks the obvious "you must have been ignoring her!" line, believe me, I most definitely wasn't.

You'll find plenty of men in that very same position - some realize it, some don't; Women suffer through it as well, but there are differences - the most obvious being how "socially acceptable" the whole thing is: If a woman was in a relationship and told some friends that her boyfriend/husband doesn't want her to do X, they'd all tell her to "get out of there" and that he's "abusive", and to be honest I would wholeheartedly agree.

If a guy does the same, most people would just laugh it off, tell him he should just adapt and not be selfish - or even go the ol' "you're lucky any woman puts up with you" line. Been there done that
    - they seem to get into a relationship with the view that the other person is there to entertain them? Its odd. Not normal.

Way, way, way more common than you realize; See, not being like that makes it difficult to imagine it happens. I was in the exact same frame of mind before I ended up in one such arrangement (and then another one, yeah I know...). If you really think about it, it's how fictional relationships are portrayed, is it really a surprise many people translate it into real life?

It was a forced "choice" - basically, that way or end the relationship under the accusation of "not caring" and being a "selfish pr1ck".

Any time I'd (try) to do something I enjoyed, I'd encounter a lot of passive-aggression along the lines of sulking, silences, long faces and even smug remarks such as "oh please, don't get distracted from your [whatever I was trying to do]", basically making me feel guilty for just being who I am; And before anybody walks the obvious "you must have been ignoring her!" line, believe me, I most definitely wasn't.

No offence here - but the women you chose who behaved like this were just immature idiots. Im not saying there are not people who behave that way, but just dont go out with those types of people!
    You'll find plenty of men in that very same position - some realize it, some don't; Women suffer through it as well, but there are differences - the most obvious being how "socially acceptable" the whole thing is: If a woman was in a relationship and told some friends that her boyfriend/husband doesn't want her to do X, they'd all tell her to "get out of there" and that he's "abusive", and to be honest I would wholeheartedly agree.

If a guy does the same, most people would just laugh it off, tell him he should just adapt and not be selfish - or even go the ol' "you're lucky any woman puts up with you" line. Been there done that

I do indeed know a few put upon men, and for me I just dont understand why they would stay in such a relationship. For some people though, being single is worse than being put upon - they just cant be on their own. For others I definitely think theres an element of "ill just blame the missus so I dont have to go out".
    Way, way, way more common than you realize; See, not being like that makes it difficult to imagine it happens. I was in the exact same frame of mind before I ended up in one such arrangement (and then another one, yeah I know...). If you really think about it, it's how fictional relationships are portrayed, is it really a surprise many people translate it into real life?

Oh yeah, theres loads of dysfunctional relationships out there.

Im sure theres just as many girls who would report that in relationships the guy doesnt like them dressing too sexy if she is out without him - thats a reasonably common one Ive been subjected to personally. Again - its just dysfunctional behaviour and a red flag to me not to get into a relationship with someone who would think that way.

No offence here - but the women you chose who behaved like this were just immature idiots. Im not saying there are not people who behave that way, but just dont go out with those types of people!

None taken - that's incredibly mild :D.

You see, the issue is that it's not immediately apparent - there's usually quite a "cool" time at the beginning, where these kind of people hide their cards; Especially when there still is the "each living at their own place" phase still in progress. Sh1te tends to hit the proverbial fan only once the relationship is fairly established - and it's hard for either party to just "up and go".
    I do indeed know a few put upon men, and for me I just dont understand why they would stay in such a relationship. For some people though, being single is worse than being put upon - they just cant be on their own. For others I definitely think theres an element of "ill just blame the missus so I dont have to go out".

I'd say it's a mix of things - one big culprit is the fact that certain feelings, in men, lay way deeper than it is usually admitted nor expected, for a variety of reasons.

Then there's the comfort part indeed, where some "can't do" without having a partner, and think that whatever they've got is still better than having to do the whole "chase" all over again, no doubt about it.

Oh yeah, theres loads of dysfunctional relationships out there.

Im sure theres just as many girls who would report that in relationships the guy doesnt like them dressing too sexy if she is out without him - thats a reasonably common one Ive been subjected to personally. Again - its just dysfunctional behaviour and a red flag to me not to get into a relationship with someone who would think that way.

That's exactly one of the things I implicitly referred to - and it's a widely (and rightfully) frowned upon attitude for a man to have towards his partner; I've even known guys who complain about a skirt being too short or a top too low cut when they ARE going somewhere together.

It's something I can't even begin to understand - I had at least one girlfriend who liked to dress sexily and never had a single issue with it, whether she was going out with her friends or whatnot; You need to have trust, besides it's not a skirt that makes someone cheat.
    If anything, I would usually have made it clear how nice she looked going out...and it often made it very worth it to wait up for her to come back :D

You see, the issue is that it's not immediately apparent - there's usually quite a "cool" time at the beginning, where these kind of people hide their cards; Especially when there still is the "each living at their own place" phase still in progress. Sh1te tends to hit the proverbial fan only once the relationship is fairly established - and it's hard for either party to just "up and go".

Hmmmmmm....

Even if the full on crazy psycho hasnt fully appeared in the initial honeymoon period - there are normally signs. Red flags. Too much texting. Too much "whatcha doin???". Or indeed - its usually apparent that you are doing "stuff" and the other person seems not to be doing "stuff". In the getting to know you period you are describing your various interests, and they are describing.....nothing really.

I cant say Ive ever come across one of these types where it wasnt apparent *even if only in retrospect* that there were issues there.

Hmmmmmm....

[CUT]

I cant say Ive ever come across one of these types where it wasnt apparent *even if only in retrospect* that there were issues there.

EXACTLY that - in retrospect. Looking back yes, there would have been signs; Also, bear in mind that some of these women are extremely good at covering their cards; During the evolution of things, you tend to pay more attention to the "here and now", the time you spend together and how does it feel, rather than X-Ray her every word - or at lest, that what us guys do. We have no hope, really ;)

• Advertisement

EXACTLY that - in retrospect. Looking back yes, there would have been signs; Also, bear in mind that some of these women are extremely good at covering their cards; During the evolution of things, you tend to pay more attention to the "here and now", the time you spend together and how does it feel, rather than X-Ray her every word - or at lest, that what us guys do. We have no hope, really ;)

Yeah you gotta practice with lots of crap ones before you recognise the signs to reject the bad ones early on and only stick with good ones ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

orubiru wrote: »
    What is "Happiness" though?

How is it measured?

If I am going to commit the time and effort to raising a child and supporting them the I'd kind of want to be sure that the single guy next door isn't getting the same amount of happiness when his pizza is delivered and he starts his 8 hour Playstation session.

It's probably easier for the married guy to look at the single guy and think "he's missing out" because the alternative seems like a pretty clear path to feeling like you wasted your entire life.

It's probably easier for the single guy to look at the married guy and think "he has no freedom" because the alternative means admitting that you've missed out on the best life has to offer.

So folks will often use "happiness" as a measuring stick but I'm not really sure exactly HOW it's measured?

You raise some good points. I have had the single life and have done the 8 hour gaming session, the boxset TV marathon, followed Man U and Valentino Rossi for years, drank, partied, had nice bikes, cars, travelled, bedded real beauties etc etc. Don't miss them even a little and would much rather spend an afternoon playing with my little boy than any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Right now, my shirt is covered in piss and my shoulder has vomit.

At times I do envy childless married couples.

Regarding happiness I do think it's impossible to measure. What makes me happy might not cost another person a thought. Even when I share moments and events with those closest to me we are going to experience the feeling in a different way.

Being a parent won't invoke the same feelings in one person as it does in another. The same goes for not having children. It's easy to slip in to smugness and condescension when discussing family I think, both sides of the wall. Really we shouldn't be so concerned about wanting what others have.

To me being content with my own life is a far greater prize than wishing for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Right now, my shirt is covered in piss and my shoulder has vomit.

At times I do envy childless married couples.

After the first line of your post, I still was not sure if you were a married parent or or a single party animal :-)

Thanks for that clarification in the second line :-))

• Advertisement
Advertisement