Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PWBoards Top 100 Wrestlers pt 2

• 19-10-2016 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was looking through the PW Forum Hot thread links and came across this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79036357&postcount=106

Where posters nominated their top 20 wrestlers, which were added together to eventually show who was the top forum's top 100 wrestlers.

Well it's been nearly 4.5 years since that list was compiled, and the wrestling landscape has shifted. CM Punk is long gone, Daniel Bryan rose to the heights and then retired, the WWE Network was launched and has reminded us all of how good/bad previous generations were, NXT introduced us to a host of new faces, TNA has become a shell of it's former self.

With all that in mind, if people are willing to list their top 20 wrestlers of all time, then I'm happy to collate everything and produce the final list.

(The only thing I'd change would be to ensure this is for single wrestlers only and Road Warriors would not be an exception).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So is it for the top 100 wrestler ever, or in the past year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

beakerjoe wrote: »
    So is it for the top 100 wrestler ever, or in the past year?

Top 100 from any time, any where.

Each poster would put forward their top 20, and that would be completely up to themselves. Whether they want to decided on who they think was the best technically gifted, the best all round, most entertaining ... whatever criteria the poster decides.

This is what was in the original:
    people put their nominations in order of preference from 1 to 20 (so 1 is the person who gets most points, 20 gets the least points).

Pts will be awarded in the following fashion: number 1 nomination gets 20pts, number 2 gets 19pts, .... 20 gets 1pt

Any wrestler can be nominated no matter where and when they worked.

Determining why a wrestler is better than another is up to you, it can be based on titles, achievements, sell rates, match quality, promo quality, or anything else you can think of. If you want to nominate Scotty Too Hotty because you the worm made you laugh, then there's nothing wrong with that.

You can nominate in the thread here, or by pming me.

IF I don't get 100 wrestlers nominated I may reduce it to 75 / 50.

And feel free to discuss different wrestlers and their worthiness to being included or not here too, just make sure to be civil.

Not sure what the best way to go about a time limit is ... the first thread had a month long time limit on it, so I'll do the same here if it lasts that long ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I will defo contribute a list. One question, can I vote Roman Reigns in every position :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!

Chris Benoit 20pts. Best ever in ring for me

Shawn Michaels 19pts. Best all rounder

Kurt Angle 18pts. Most fluid

Eddie Guerrero. 17pts. Charisma and workrate

Bret Hart. 16pts. Authentic as hell

Daniel Bryan 15pts. Versatile and crisp

Mr Perfect 14pts. Effortless brilliance

Chris Jericho 13pts. Hybrid general

Owen Hart 12pts. Technical wizard

British Bulldog 11pts. Powerful but with finesse

Shinsuke Nakamura 10pts Charisma machine

Seth Rollins 9 Pts. On his way to Top 10 ever maybe?

Brock Lesnar 8pts. Freakish anomaly

AJ Styles. 7pts Phenomenal ain't just a nickname

Ricky Steamboat 6pts Classy and smooth

Austin Aries 5points Ultimate Cruiser/Heavyweight mashup

Randy Orton 4pts. Absolute natural
    Taz 3 pts Sawn off duplex machine (Guilty Pleasure)

Mike Awesome 2pts. Best big man for me (Guilty pleasure)

Perry Saturn 1pt. Underrated performer in all promotions (guilty pleasure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Okay this is going to be tough but here goes

1: Bret Hart 20 points my favorite wrestler for years and years

2: CM Punk: 19 points loved him from the minute i started watching ROH and was ****ting it when he got to wwe that they'd ruin him

3: Shawn Michaels 18 points Amazing performer one of the best ever

4: Stone Cold 17 points

5: Scott Hall: Another solid favourite of mine and dissapointing he never won a world title

6: Kurt Angle : Amazing wrestler and on the mic he could and probably still can do it all

7: Triple H: I hated this guy so much and it was genuine heel hate i don't ever remember not liking a guy more fantastic heel

8: Eddie Guerrero: Taken before his time outstanding wrestler

9: The Rock: can't say anything that hasn't been said before

10: Brock Lesnar : just a freak

11: RVD: such an unorthodox moveset loved him in his prime

12: Goldberg: Definitley one of my favourites in WCW loved him battering Hogan

13: Jericho : this guy is timeless always reinventing himself

14: Rollins: He's going to be around for a long time modern day HBK

15: Mr.Perfect: the only imperfect thing he did was Curtis Axel lol

16: AJ Styles : forget about his WWE run his the best at the moment for me since early days of TNA

17: Christopher Daniels: Between him JOE and AJ they built TNA on there amazing matches

18: Roddy Pipper

19: Jushin Lyger: that costume is just amazing and a great wrestler too

20: Ultimate Warrior

• Advertisement

My list:

1. Steve Austin - 20 pts. Great wrestler, fantastic connection with crowd.

2. Kurt Angle - 19 pts. My favourite wrestler back in the day, I don't think WWE utilised him when he won the championship as a babyface in 2001 from Stone cold

3. Daniel Bryan - 18pts. A very different wrestler to Austin, but was able to get that connection with the crowd, despite the company he worked for.

4. The Rock - 17 pts. The omega to Stone Cold's alpha. Every hero needs a villain, and The Rock's chemistry with Austin is legendary.

5. Eddie Guerrero - 16 pts. Another favourite of mine. Fantastic all rounder, worked his heart out, charisma coming out his eyes. Not many could turn JBL into a credible heel, but after their feud JBL was the top heel in wrestling at the time.

6. Shawn Michaels - 15 pts. He was fantastic.

7. Edge - 14pts. Great all rounder, great heel. During the course of the original brand split he was one of the few wrestlers to keep me watching Smackdown.

8. CM Punk - 13pts. Brilliant talker, brilliant wrestler.

9. Ric Flair - 12pts.

10. The Undertaker - 11pts. Greatest Big Man Of All Time. Hard to believe that fans were bored of him in the early 00's and there was talk of his retirement. Went on to outshine a lot of people decade younger as he progressed through his forties.

11. John Cena - 10 pts. WWE's star wrestler for the last decade. Has put on fantastic matches with a plethora of different opponents. Underappreciated by fans.

12. Randy Savage - 9pts.

13. Batista - 8pts. Hugely charismatic. Good wrestler, great with the right opponent.

14. Roddy Piper - 7pts. The heel of the Hulk Hogan era. He could make you hate him!

15. William Regal - 6pts. Great allrounder.

16. Kevin Owen - 5pts. Not your typical champ. Could be one of the best heels going.

17. The Ultimate Warrior - 4pts. Loved him as a youngster.

18. Hulk Hogan - 3pts. The first wrestling megastar. Brought pro wrestling mainstream. Just a shame his legacy has become so tainted.

19. Bray Wyatt - 2pts. Great wrestler. Honestly think he could be The Undertaker of this era.

20. Andre The Giant. -1pt. He's a legend, Larger than life. With Hulk Hogan playing the superhero he needed a monster villain, and nobody could compare with Andre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Shawn Michaels 20pts just the greatest of all time

Chris Jericho 19pts great in the ring has constantly reinvented himself when stale

The rock 18pts best on the mic of all time

Steve Austin 17pts biggest star of all time

HHH 16pts often overlooked because of his marriage and politics but inside the ring he was brilliant

Taker 15pts greatest character of all time

Kurt angle 14pts the greatest technical wrestler ever

Eddie 13pts had it all the charisma and in ring ability

Edge 12pts amazing in ring phenomenal promo

John cena 11pts big match John is right he is amazing took me a long time to appreciate him

Daniel Bryan 10pts from the indies to the WWE he never had a bad match and has one of my favourite mania moments

Aj styles 9pts in ring the closet to HBk there will ever be

Kevin Nash 8pts always had a soft spot for big daddy cool

Booker t 7pts one of only positive points of the invasion and of course king booker

Randy savage 6pts ohhh yeahhh

Ric flair 5pts he's ric flair

Mick foley 4pts great performer

Batista 3pts underrated wrestler

Jeff hardy 2pts if he ever had his demons in check he'd be a lot higher

Kane 1pt

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Muff Daddy wrote:
    1. Stone Cold
    2. Shawn Michaels
    3. Undertaker
    4. Ric Flair
    5. Bret Hart
    6. The Rock
    7. Kurt Angle
    8. Hulk Hogan
    9. Randy Savage
    10. Mick Foley
    11. CM Punk
    12. HHH
    13. Ricky Steamboat
    14. Brock Lesnar
    15. Edge
    16. Rob Van Dam
    17. Sting
    18. John Cena
    19. Chris Jericho
    20. Sheamus

So this was my list four years ago (LOL Sheamus:o, bless my green tinted specs). Let's see whats changed.....

1) 20 points Stone Cold Steve Austin. In terms of star power, charisma, in ring work (yes, in ring work) promo delivery, connection with the audience, basically every aspect of professional wrestling, the man scores a 9 1/2 or a 10. Put simply, G.O.A.T.

2) 19 points Shawn Michaels. A phenomenon, no one did the big match better than HBK. There is no no more fitting nickname in pro wrestling than the Showstopper.

3) 18 points The Undertaker. My childhood favorite, and indeed, still my favorite wrestler of all time. His ability to make the character work for all those years, as well as seeing him evolve from average worker to phenomenal worker in his latter years shows that he belongs in the very upper echelons of professional wrestlers.

4) 17 points Kurt Angle. Great wrestler, initially not a sports entertainment guy, but to 'get it' in the way that he did from the off was amazing, was goofy, intense and everything in between.

5) 16 points Daniel Bryan. Wasn't a follower of his career pre WWE, and truth be told, due to his booking, wasn't sold on him fully enough to put him in my top 20 initially, despite a number of good matches with the likes of Miz and Ziggler. However, once things started to click, I saw what everyone who followed his career saw. Wrestlemania 30's culmination was the best end to a story arc in decades.

6) 15 points Bret Hart. The prototype for what a professional wrestler is. The ultimate good guy, and the absolute perfect foil for Stone Cold. Their rivalry in 97 was wrestling perfection.

7) 14 points Hulk Hogan. Simply put, paved the way for the current landscape with his larger than life personality. There isn't a WWE now if not for Hogan I truly believe.

8) 13 points Randy Savage. To be around in the middle of the era where Hogan dominated the landscape, some would say at the expense of everyone else, and still become a household name speaks volumes to the character and work of the Macho Man. I have Hogan ahead in the list because he in fact was the man that drove wrestling into the stratosphere, however I have little doubt that given the keys, Macho Man could have done the same.

9) 12 points Mick Foley. Another personal favorite. Responsible for some of the most shocking and memorable moments in wrestling. His delivery of promos is completely under-appreciated.

10) 11 points Eddie Guerrero. I really don't know why I excluded him from my previous list, must have been an oversight. The man had it all in abundance, and left us far too early.

11) 10 points Ric Flair. I guess I'd probably put him higher, but I didn't really watch WCW as a child, nostalgia has become a thing for me now, so that aspect of growing up with Nature Boy isn't there like it is with those above him in the list, bar 1992, however I have seen a lot of his work and it's obvious he was up there with the best in the business.

12) 9 points The Rock. Personality and charisma wise he's top 3 no doubt. Arguably the most recognisable wrestler of all time, himself or Hogan really.

13) 8 points Rob Van Dam. Another favorite of mine. I'm hard pushed to think of anyone who connected with a live crowd as much by saying so little, and purely doing it in the ring.

14) 7 points Chris Jericho. This man amazes me. Heel or face, he uses the same base material in both his ring work and his character, and yet is still always able to re-invent himself by throwing just one or two new catchphrases or moves into the mix, ad infinitum, and make it seem fresh.

15) 6 points John Cena. While Cena's character is completely stale, he is the big game player of the current WWE, the go to guy to put on a big match. If Shawn Michaels is the all time best big game player, Cena isn't a million miles off.

16) 5 points Ricky Steamboat. The Dragon was a master technician. His return matches V Chris Jericho in 2009 were by far and away the best matches I've ever seen from a 'returning veteran'. He could still go with the best of them.

17) 4 points Edge. An underrated wrestler, talented enough to be a brooding emo to a poser, to the rated R superstar, and could go in the ring.

18) 3 points HHH. Belongs on the list.

19) 2 points D'lo Brown. I believe he should have gone on to contend for the big one, had all the tools required to go to the top.

20) 1 point Finn Balor. Ah, there are my green tinted specs. But patriotism aside, Mr Devitt obviously has the it factor, a tremendous look the innovative move set to establish himself further up this list.

sky88 wrote: »

Jeff hardy 2pts if he ever had his demons in check he'd be a lot higher

Actually.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'm going to rank this not as who I think the 20 greatest of all time are, but the 20 who I enjoyed watching the most, hence why some large names won't be on my list.

1) The Dynamite Kid
    2) Chris Benoit
    3) "The Macho Man" Randy Savage
    4) Mitsuhara Misawa
    5) Shawn Michaels
    6) Austin Aries
    7) HHH
    8) Mick Foley
    9) Eddie Guerrero
    10) Kurt Angle
    11) Kenta Kobashi
    12) "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
    13) Ric Flair
    14) Edge
    15) Chris Jericho
    16) The Great Muta
    17) Bryan Danielson
    18) CM Punk
    19) Jake Roberts
    20) Scott Hall

That was my list last time. I've been spending the past while re-watching more and more classic matches, so I think my list has changed slightly. Again, if you asked me "Who do you think is the greatest of all time?" this'll be a very different list. But this is my personal favorite wrestlers of all time. I love watching big guys destroy each other, and I also love great technical wrestling. So with that in mind:

1) Kurt Angle: Yup, radical change this time. For years I always said that Dynamite was my guy. And he still is. However, I have been rewatching a lot of Kurts matches lately and it made me remember just how amazing he was, and still can be. Kurt is the kind of wrestler who can adjust to ANY style of wrestler and produce a classic with little effort. Hell, his match against Shane McMahon is one of my favorite matches of all time; a match with a non wrestler! But look at his matches with Benoit, HBK, Austin, Rock, HHH, Samoa Joe, Jericho, Rey, the list goes on and on. These matches all stand the test of time. Add into the mix that the guy is hilarious and a natural entertainer, I just don't think anyone before or after him comes close to matching Kurt Angle as a wrestler. It's true, it's damn true!

2) The Dynamite Kid: Kid has a special place in my fandom. I grew up watching The Bulldogs and Kids Japan stuff, and his matches with Tiger Mask still rank in my top matches of all time. Whenever I find myself looking to stick on some classic wrestling, I always wind up putting on a match with Dynamite involved. A true innovator and a man whose influence can be seen all the WWE today. Without Kid, there would be no Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens. The list goes on and on to guys today that can thank The Dynamite Kid for paving the way.

3) "Macho Man" Randy Savage
    4) Chris Benoit
    5) Mitsuhara Misawa
    6) Shawn Michaels
    7) HHH
    8) Eddie Guerrero
    9) Kenta Kobashhi
    10) Bryan Danielson
    11) "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
    12) Ric Flair
    13) Kevin Owens
    14) Shinsuke Nakamura
    15) Chris Jericho
    16) The Great Muta
    17) Arn Anderson
    18) CM Punk
    19) Jake Roberts
    20) Kazuchika Okada

• Advertisement

#1 Daniel Bryan - A class act on every level. A great character through out the years in ROH and a true wrestling god helped establish him as the best wrestler of his generation. Its a pity it took him so long to get to WWE and its a damn shame WWE took so long to pull the trigger on him, but he was always an outstanding performer no matter what his role. He made Team Hell no work when it should have been the dirt worst, he pushed on to become the best pure babyface and the biggest draw in WWE since Cena and he could have surpassed him had his career not been cut short. The best!

His pre WWE matches are all epics, from his battles with Nigel McGuinness to his war with Morishima to his epic with Joe. No one beats him for consistently performing at a high level no matter what! 20 points

#2 John Cena – WWEs Ace. No one has had so many great big matches over the years in WWE and delivered like John Cena. He worked tirelessly as a ultra green rookie to become on of the most over and dependable performers in wrestling history. Hes under rated my many but he is just too good not to mention as a top guy. 19 points

#3 Shawn Michaels – Shawn may not be as constant as performer, but he always entertained the hell out of me in and out of the ring. His matches always told a great story, from his ladder matches with Razor, to his blood feuds with Bret, Taker, HHH and Jericho, Shawn could mix it up in a wide variety of ways. Hes Mr Wrestlemania for a reason. He was a great show man, whether cocky heel or sympathetic face and on his day was the best in between the ropes. 18 points

#4 AJ Styles: This guy aged like a fine wine and he has constantly improved year after year to become one hell of a wrestler. From battles with Joe, Daniels and Angle to wars with Nakamura, Okada and John Cena, AJ Styles rarely doesn’t deliver. 17 points

#5 Chris Jericho – For my money the Madonna of pro wrestling. Capable of re-inventing himself over and over again to keep himself relevant and entertaining. While he may be in his twilight years, he is and in my view, has always been a class act in the ring. While he was never a top guy like The rock and Austin, he could hang with them at any given time and make them look great. My own personal fav. 16 points

#6 - Chris Hero : Like AJ, hes gotten better as he got older and he is for my taste, one of the best this business has ever seen. I really cant remember him not delivering in a big match. While I d love to see him in WWE, His last 2/3 years since departing NXT have shown just exactly how great he can be. His ROH career was fantastic and he can brawl, technically wrestling and entertain with the best of them. 15 Points

7# Kenta Kobashi : M,any on here wont know him, but for those who do know him probably may consider it odd that he isn’t higher. The man was a machine in the ring, he’d lure you in with his psychology and keep you there with probably the best in-ring story telling ever. He would make me suspend my disbelief that wrestling was a work with his hard hitting style and way of delivering/taking moves. A true wrestling god. 14 points

8# Ric flair : One of the best characters ever, combined with a tremendous work rate and great self awareness, makes Ric an all time great. He knew how to rile up a crowd, he knew how to work like no other in between the ropes and he made many opponents look like a million bucks. A true icon who is sadly tarnished by not leaving the business when it was his time to go and his own lifestyle. 13 points

9# Mitsuharu Misawa : The way he wrestled was been imitated by many but never equalled. A true great whos style transcends all those after him. His wars with Kenta and esp Kawada reeled me in to the puro world and I encourage anyone who doesn’t know his work, to check him out. He should be on everyone’s list 12 ponits

10# Randy Savage : One of the main reasons I watch wrestling today. While Piper was responsible for helping create Hulkamania with Hogan, Savage and his feud with Hogan defined an era that introduced me to wrestling. He could tell such a fantastic story in the ring and even a better one outside it. He was WWFs ace IMO back in the Hogan era with such great battles with Hogan, Steamboat and giving carrying the Warrior to a fine match at WM7. A legend. 11 points

11# Bret Hart – The mega babyface from the new generation era, Bret took over from Hulk Hogan when WWF needed a leader both in the locker room and in the main event and Bret made that role his own when many others may have failed. A man who made logic a key factor in his matches and made you invest heavily in seeing him over come the odds. His characters displeasure at the business changing in 96 onwards made for great entertainment and his feuds with Austin and HBK where the ingredients to start the Attitude era rolling. A true wrestling hero. 10 points

12# Rey Mysterio – This guy can entertain like no other. He always had a fantastic match with anyone. In WCW, his cruiserweight work in WCW in great matches with Malenko, Juvi, Psycosis and Kidman, to some great WWE feuds with Eddy, Jericho and CM Punk. One of the best ever. 9 points

13# Eddy Guerrero : A man whos WCW run of matches still hold up today, and while he was never used to his potential in WCW, he finally reached it in his 2nd WWE run. His feuds with Rey, JBL, Batista are all excellent, even if his character got a bit cartoony. A true great who everyone loved. 8 points

14# Triple H – Whether you love him or hate him, theres no denying that Hunter was one of the best heels during the attitude era. He made the transition from mid carder to main eventer extremely well and never seemed out of place versus Rocky or Austin. 7 points

14# Roddy Piper : A true gent in this business. Without him, there may be no Hulk Hogan and in turn no WWE. His work before WWF is some of the best improve character work ever and his feud with Hogan makes him iconic. A wonder on the mic who could have the fans linger on his every word. 6 points

#15: Jake Roberts : Jake Roberts is probably my favourite heel ever. While his WWE heel run was short, it still to this day leaves me wanting more and wishing it had lasted longer. A master of speaking, using his tone of voice and pacing to reeling you in, leaving you hanging on every single word he said. His intensity was fantastic as heel or face and he is one of the most under rated guys ever. 5 points

#17 : Stone Cold Steve Austin : Steve was the saviour for WWF when they needed one. His character and his ever growing popularity turned the tide in the Monday night Wars and he lead WWF into the attitude era. A fine in-ring wrestler but it was his ass kicking, swearing persona that made him the star he was. Where Hogan made WWF big, Steve re-estabished the company as the biggest name in the game and was the biggest star since Hogan. 4 points

#18 - Hulk Hogan : Without Hogan, there’s probably no WWE today. And despite what people say, the guy can work. Maybe not in a grappling machine way, but he can work a crowd like no other and while he may have been a douche outside of the ring, he was the first mega star IMO. 3 points

19# Kurt Angle : No one has ever adapted to pro wrestling better or as quick as Kurt Angle. From a persona POV, he is a natural. Whether its goofy comedy, straight forward serious business, Angle can do it all. His in-ring skills present him as one of the best between the ropes of all time. 2 points

#20 - The Miz : A guilty pleasure who many may not want on the list but hes a true under rated man in many respects, but he makes my list for his sheer work ethic and character. His wrestling ability leaves a lot to be desired of, but as a persona he is one of the best natural mid-card heels ever. He knows how to play to the crowd and get heat like so few these days. He arguably works harder than most to compensate for his lack of in-ring prowess and always gives it his all. 1 point

People missing from my list

CM Punk : I just couldnt fit him in

Cesaro : Love the guy but his career stalled in his early WWE days and its only starting to get going in the last year. Poor booking has really derailed him. A star to be made with this guy.

Muta : I just couldnt fit him in, maybe he deserves it more than the Miz, but I'll stick to my guns

Tom Billington : I used to like the guy but after reading his book (which seems brutally honest), I really have a dislike for him. He's a prick and a very bitter man in many respects.

Benoit: I cant rank him, he lost that right after what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LeeJM wrote: »
    I will defo contribute a list. One question, can I vote Roman Reigns in every position :-P

*coughs* numbers 1 to 20 all Christian :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

My list from last time, based on personal preferences not necessarily who I think are actually the best.
    1.Undertaker
    2.Mick Foley
    3.SCSA
    4.The Rock
    5.Kurt Angle
    6.HBK
    7. SHane McMahon
    8.Vince McMahon
    9.Bret Hart
    10.Eddie Guerrero
    11.Macho Man
    12.Brock Lesnar
    13.Chris Jericho
    14.HHH
    15.CM punk
    16.The Iron Shiek
    17.Roddy Piper
    18.Bryan Danielson
    19.Ken Shamrock
    20. Goldberg

Some changes this time

1. The Undertaker - Best Big man & Character ever and well he was just my guy

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin - He really was the man, everyone identified with him and man did he draw big... in many ways he was the attitude era.

3. Kurt Angle - He was just all types of amazing really, so good I almost wish I watched more TNA

4. Shawn Micheal - A lot of people would call him the best of all time and he deserves to be in any top 5 imo but I guess I just never connected with him as much as those above but he was great.

5. Mick Foley - talk about connecting with a guy. Foley was awesome on the Mic and a guy you just wanted to get behind plus he really is the definition of someone who left it all on the field Mat and you gotta respect that.

6. The Rock - The mot electrifying man in sports entertainment. Gold on the Mic, perhaps the greatest ever in fact but probably lacking too much in other areas to make most peoples top 5s

7. Bryan Danielson - This dude was just so likeable but also one of the best ever technical wrestlers all in he deserves to be on this list and well he is also a personal favourite so he fits in nicely in the top half now.

8. Chris Jericho - His current run has reminded me of how good Chris really was (and is) and for that reason he just made the list!

9. Eddie Guerrero - apart from no.10 im getting lazy so it'll just be a list from here on in but cmon who doesn't love Eddie

10. Vince McMahon - The Godfather of modern PW and also an awesome character in his own right, he dropped a few places from last time as he isn't really a wrestler... but that never stopped him now did it

11. Macho Man Randy Savage
    12. Ric Flair - Woooooooooo
    13. HHH
    14. Brock Lesnar
    15. Bret Hart
    16. AJ Styles
    17. Arn Anderson
    18. Mitsuharu Misawa
    19. Jake Roberts
    20.Shinsuke Nakamura

CM Punk & Piper were probably closest to cracking that top 20 for me but Kobashi, Scott Hall, Kevin Owens Steamboat and a few others would all be in contention if it was a top 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I suppose my list is taken from the amount of Pro Wrestling I've watched. My knowledge of wrestling before the attitude era is weak. Though I have increased my knowledge as I'm currently trying to watch Bret Harts career. Mr Perfect next .

20.The Rock- I used to watch this guy on Saturday morning's on Sky. He was electrifying. I remember all the kids at school trying to do his Eyebrow spot. In terms of Sports Entertainment. He is it.

19.Kurt Angle- In terms of in ring talent . There really aren't many wrestlers with this guys skill. His ability on the mic is also second to none. In terms of in ring ability my favourite wrestler of all time.

18. Daniel Bryan- My favourite wrestlemania moment. Don't think I will see someone as over ever again.

17. Goldberg
    16. Ric Flair
    15. John Cena
    14. AJ STYLES
    13. Triple H
    12. Booker T
    11. The Miz- All hail the Miz
    10. Edge
    9. Tomohiro Ishii
    8. John Morrison
    7. CM Punk
    6. Rob Van Dam
    5. Seth Rollins
    4. Prince Puma
    3. Golddust
    2. Sheamus
    1. Cody Rhodes

I suppose my list is taken from the amount of Pro Wrestling I've watched. My knowledge of wrestling before the attitude era is weak. Though I have increased my knowledge as I'm currently trying to watch Bret Harts career. Mr Perfect next .

20.The Rock- I used to watch this guy on Saturday morning's on Sky. He was electrifying. I remember all the kids at school trying to do his Eyebrow spot. In terms of Sports Entertainment. He is it.

19.Kurt Angle- In terms of in ring talent . There really aren't many wrestlers with this guys skill. His ability on the mic is also second to none. In terms of in ring ability my favourite wrestler of all time.

Hi Winny ... just to confirm ... is that 20 pts for the Rock, 19 for Angle ... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

20 points for The Rock. Hard list to come up with . I'd say if I did it tomorrow . The list might change.

20 points for The Rock. Hard list to come up with . I'd say if I did it tomorrow . The list might change.

Same here, I wrote out a list before I left work yesterday, by the time I went to put up the list on here it had changed by quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. Christian - 20 points
    2. Chris Jericho
    3. The Rock
    4. Daniel Bryan
    5. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    6. Kurt Angle
    7. HBK
    8. AJ Styles
    9. Eddie Guerrero
    10. Chris Benoit
    11. John Cena
    12. Jeff Hardy
    13. Bret Hart
    14. Edge
    15. CM Punk
    16. Seth Rollins
    17. Robert Roode
    18. Finn Balor
    19. Lita
    20. Kevin Owens - 1 point

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

1. brock lesnar ( 20 points)
    2. Triple H
    3. John Cena
    4. Chris jericho
    5. The rock
    6.undertaker
    7. kane
    8. scott Hall
    9. kevin nash
    10 Bobby roode
    11. Cm punk
    12. Daniel bryan
    13. christopher daniels
    14. Ric Flair
    15. Randy orton
    16. jeff hardy
    17. Edge
    18. matt hardy
    19. Billy gunn
    20. Psycho Sid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Fair play to Imnotthehulk for bringing this up!
    Took me a while to compile this list and putting them in order was even harder.

1. Shawn Michaels - 20 Points.
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Eddie Guerrero
    4. Kurt Angle
    5. Triple H
    6. Stone Cold
    7. Rey Mysterio
    8. Bret Hart
    9. Kevin Steen/Owens
    10. AJ Styles
    11. Daniel Bryan
    12. Chris Jericho
    13. CM Punk
    14. Randy Orton
    15. Edge
    16. The Rock
    17. Booker T
    18. John Cena
    19. RVD
    20. Brock Lesnar - 1 Point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

1. Bret Hart the best there is,the best there was,the best there ever will be. (20pts)
    2. Undertaker. The best big man ever.
    He had longevity,durability and most of all talent.
    3.John Cena. The best of his generation and an excellent ambassador for the wwe
    4.The Rock. Put the entertainment in sports entertainment.
    5.Stone Cold. Leader of the attitude era and changed the business at the time.
    6.Jushin Thunder Liger. One of my favourite stars from the 90's and still going strong.
    7. Keiji Mutoh (the great muta) excellent in ring performer.
    8. CM Punk Definitely one of the best story tellers of all time.
    9. Ultimate Warrior. My earliest memory of wrestling revolve around this guy.
    10. Daniel Bryan yes yes yes.
    11.Chris Jericho
    12.DDP
    13.Randy Orton
    14.Aj Styles
    15.Scott Hall
    16.JBL
    17.Shawn Michaels
    18.Rollins
    19.Lesnar
    20. Kurt Angle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Angron wrote: »
    1. Kane
    2. The Undertaker
    3. John Cena
    4. CM Punk
    5. The Rock
    6. Bryan Danielson
    7. Sheamus
    8. Stone Cold
    9. Goldberg
    10. Eddie Guerrero
    11. Randy Orton
    12. Rob Van Dam
    13. Shawn Michaels
    14. Batista
    15. Christopher Daniels
    16. Christian
    17. Chris Jericho
    18. Edge
    19. Jeff Hardy
    20. AJ Styles

My old list, and a few names have changed.

1. Kane - Don't care what anyone says, he's my favourite wrestler of all time.

2. Daniel Bryan - It still hurts that his career was cut so short, and that it took WWE so long to realise what they had with Bryan.

3. Shinsuke Nakamura - The charisma that this man has is unbelievable, and the quality of match that he can have is staggering. In a lot of ways I'm still surprised he's actually in WWE.

4. Finn Balor - If the WWE trusts you enough to make you the new champion of their flagship show after such a short period on the main roster, you have to be a bit special.

5. Dean Ambrose - The most wasted member of the Shield, WWE took far too long to put the belt on him. I still firmly believe he can be one of the faces of the company.

6. Seth Rollins - Supremely talented, and I love to watch him work.

7. AJ Styles - Another phenomenal talent, and similar to Nakamura, a name I still kinda can't believe is in WWE, much less being a WWE Champion.

8. Kevin Owens - He's just so good at what he does, and has a great ability to make you really want to hate him.

9. Becky Lynch - Super talented, and now she's the first Smackdown Women's champion. She does the nation proud.

10. Eddie Guerrero - Died far too young. Charisma practically oozed out of him, and he was always great in the ring too.

11. The Rock - Granted some of my opinion of him has dropped in the last few years, but it still hard to deny that he's one of the most entertaining people in industry has ever had.

12. Chris Jericho - He's getting on now, so his ring work isn't as good as it once was, though it's still by no means bad. But his real strength is his character. He's gone through many slight shifts in character throughout his career, and yet all of them just felt believable. I'm really enjoying his current "STUPID IDIOT" phase :D

13. Goldberg - a big part of wrestling for me when I first started, and one of the few things WCW got right when it came to making their own starts (until they ruined it). Should have been more in WWE, cheers Big Nose.

(I'm tired at this point, so I'm just going to list the rest, and maybe come back and flesh out the whys later)

14. Kenny Omega
    15. Randy Savage
    16. Kazuchika Okada
    17. Christopher Daniels
    18. Marty Scurll
    19. Roderick Strong
    20. Ricochet

My old list, and a few names have changed.

3. Shinsuke Nakamura - The charisma that this man has is unbelievable, and the quality of match that he can have is staggering. In a lot of ways I'm still surprised he's actually in WWE.

5. Finn Balor - If the WWE trusts you enough to make you the new champion of their flagship show after such a short period on the main roster, you have to be a bit special.

Great list, but it looks like you're missing someone in the number 4 spot there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Whoops, so I am. I'll fix that now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Whoops, so I am. I'll fix that now.

Also what happened to Taker?

it's all personal preferences and all so I wouldn't usually ask about omissions but last time you had him at no.2 yet this time he fails to make your list (a list I actually really like cos of your putting Kane top as he's your personal fav and you also have Becky on the list and high enough too that she will probably end up placing on the overall list when its made

Also what happened to Taker?

it's all personal preferences and all so I wouldn't usually ask about omissions but last time you had him at no.2 yet this time he fails to make your list (a list I actually really like cos of your putting Kane top as he's your personal fav and you also have Becky on the list and high enough too that she will probably end up placing on the overall list when its made
    I've just kinda gone off him because I'm kinda tired of the "appearing for one match a year" thing. If he was actually retired, I might have placed him somewhere on the upper half of the list, but as it stands he feels like a bit of a show pony and I'm just sort of "eh" about that. The pointless match they had him in this year didn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

20. Raven - A guilty pleasure selection. Loved the Raven character. In WCWs most successful year 1998 Raven was on the cusp of the main event. This guy just understands the business. 1 Pt

19. Sabu - What an innovator. The perfect mix of hardcore and high flying. At times I really thought he was suicidal with the things he did.

18. Hulk Hogan - Cant have the list without him. Dont need to explain this selection.

17. Vader - The greatest big man in the history of the industry. An absolute monster at his peak.

16. CM Punk - He shouldnt have been a star in WWE but he was. Good promos, good in ring and had the aura of a star.

15. Genichiro Tenyru - Grumpy old man Tenyru is just fantastic. Just look up his matches on youtube/dailymotion its well worth your time.

14. Chris Jericho - The Madonna of wrestling constantly reinventing himself. A really good promo and capable of greatness in the ring.

13. Low Ki - The forgotten man of the early 00's indie boom. The buzz around Low Ki was unbelievable. He was the foundation on which RoH was built. Doesnt get the credit he deserves possibly due to his attitude.

12. Randy Savage - Another that needs no explanation. Top 5 promo guy of all time.

11. Rey Mysterio - Somebody his size had to be special to make it in the US in the 90's and my god was Rey special. Watch his early WCW matches! Just an absolute joy to watch him. His WWE run wasnt bad either :D

10. Ric Flair - The greatest World Champion of all time. The iconic travelling World Champ who has had more hour long matches than anybody else in history. Another top 5 promo guy of all time. Look up Champion in the dictionary and you will see Naitch.

9. Kenta Kobashi - Arguably the greatest wrestler to have ever lived. The reason he is this low is I havnt seen as much of him as I would like. But what I have seen fully warrants him being top 10 if not higher.

8. Eddie Guerrero - You are all familiar with Eddie so I dont need to add much. What I will say is that the influence Eddie has had on so many people currently wrestling is phenomenal. A true great that unfortunately left the world too soon.

7. John Cena - The master of the modern WWE epic match. History will be kinder to him than the current day fans have ever been. If he gets the epic heel run that we all know he is capable of then he is easily top 3 of all time.

6. Jerry "The King" Lawler - If all you know him as is the WWE commentator then do yourself a favor and go watch some Memphis wrestling. The King whether a heel or a face was fantastic at building stories and emotion in his matches. His feud with Jimmy Hart and the First Family was brilliant. Another of my top 5 promo guys of all time.

5. Jushin Liger - For over 25 years this guy has been fantastic. He is probably the greatest gimmick of all time. He is probably the greatest Junior Heavyweight of all time. Another innovator in the industry. a NJPW mainstay and to this day still one of the most popular wrestlers in the world.

4. Stone Cold Steve Austin - All I can say is I am glad I was able to live through his rise to the top of WWF and then all that followed. Being woken up by my dad to tell me that that bald wrestler fella I liked was on Sky News because of something got to do with Mike Tyson was a moment I will never forget. The greatest WWF/WWE Champion of all time and #2 all time promo guy IMO

3. Daniel Bryan - The most unlikely WWE star ever. Not since Stone Cold have I seen a crowd get behind somebody the way we all got behind DB. The image of him sitting on the cage and the whole arena doing the YES gimmick in time with him is a moment that will live forever. And he wasnt half bad in the ring either.

2. Terry Funk - The greatest promo ever IMO. Terry could be the craziest man on the planet one moment and then the sweet ol Funker the next. The sense of fear and danger when Terry was a heel was always there. He is either the sanest crazy guy of all time or the craziest sane guy of all time! He was a star everywhere he went Texas, Memphis, Crockett, Japan, Puerto Rico, WWF, ECW, WCW. He was capable of having a mat based classic or he could leave you in a pool of blood after a hardcore brawl. He has had more retirements than Ric Flair has had hour long matches....but damn it hes the Funker so its ok.

1. AJ Styles - PHENOMENAL. Never has a nickname been more apt. The guy is just phenomenal. And he has been since 2002. For the longest time he was the only reason to seek out TNA. He has had more great matches than anybody else I can think of. His current WWE is just the icing on the top of his career cake. When I first saw him in 2002/3 I knew he was good, so good that on the old IWW forum my username was thephenomenalone. And over the years he has just gotten better and better. Simply he is PHENOMENAL. 20 Pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Now this is my kind of stuff.

1. Ric Flair. I don't think it's a secret that he's my favourite of all time despite the more recent issues he's had. An amazing promo and extremely good in the ring. The steamboat trilogy in 1989 are a joy to watch. He made his opponent look good in his matches. 20pts

2. Randy savage. The good part of late 80s WWF and despite hogans carry on he was a better in ring talent and his stuff with flair at mania VIII and DDP in wcw in 1997 showed how good he was.

3. The undertaker. The character was one that wasn't seen before and probably won't ever be see again in terms of being able to evolve and stay relevant. A big favourite of mine in the attitude era.

4. Triple h. Love him or hate him when he had a match you knew you were getting a match of a certain standard minimum.

5. Kurt angle. He just made it look so easy and made it look real. I watched his match with Shane McMahon at KOTR 2001 this week. Just beautiful stuff and a very funny guy.

6.Dusty Rhodes. An amazing promo and yes he wasn't the best looking athlete of the day but he told great stories.

7. Harley race. Just a hard noses SOB who is an 8 time NWA worlds champion second only to space mountain himself.

8. Stone cold Steve Austin. I mean where would WWE be today without Austin ? Pre neck injury he was a great in ring talent and turned the tide against wcw.

9. The rock. The perfect heel for austins anti hero character in the late 90s.Rock was a superb promo and a decent in ring guy and charisma to beat the band.

10.Tully Blanchard. Just a amazing in ring talent who with Arn Anderson was the ying to Ric flairs yang in the horsemen. His stuff with magnum TA was great.

11.arn Anderson. The enforcer double A was someone who made you believe in what he was saying and doing in the ring. A man for whom kayfabe isn't gone.

12.Ted DiBiase. One of the best wrestlers never to be a world champion IMO. It's unfortunate he got to WWF at the same time the ego was running wild. He got his million dollar man gimmick perfectly.

13.Mr perfect curt hennig. He made it look so easy and he looked like he was born to wrestle.

14.Bret hart. Obviously an amazing in ring talent but took himself way too serious and it cost him. He's possibly too low but I feel the guys above him were better all rounders. Bret wasn't great on the mic.

15. Jake Roberts. Another wrestler who should have gotten a title run of any description. He was such an intense promo but he never screamed and shouted. He was measured in what he said. The DDT finisher was great and overall his character was excellent.

16. Kevin Nash. A great big man and he could go in the ring. It wasn't his fault the business was in the jacks when he became champion.

17. Brock lesnar. A genetic freak of a human being and he just looks legit. Mic skills aren't his thing but heyman fixes that issue.

18. Chris Jericho. A legend plain and simple. A sure fire HOF

19. Eddie Guerrero. Again made pro wrestling seem so easy.

20. Kane.unbelievable longevity and was a fairly intimidating looking guy when he first came in to WWF. Should have had a better WWF title run. 1pt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

1. The Undertaker - 20 Points.
    2. Hulk Hogan
    3. Sting
    4. Kurt Angle
    5. Randy Orton
    6. Chris Jericho
    7. Bret Hart
    8. The Rock
    9. Goldberg
    10. Kevin Nash
    11. Scott Hall
    12. Randy Savage
    13. Stone Cold
    14. Triple H
    15. Edge
    16. Kane
    17. Chris Benoit
    18. Jeff Jarrett
    19. Curt Henning
    20. Christopher Daniels - 1 Point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

1) Bret Hart (20 Points)
    2) Shawn Michaels
    3) The Undertaker
    4) Ric Flair
    5) Steve Austin
    6) Kurt Angle
    7) Owen Hart
    8) John Cena
    9) CM Punk
    10) The Rock
    11) Daniel Bryan
    12) Chris Benoit
    13) Chris Jericho
    14) Nakamura
    15) Mr. Perfect
    16) HHH
    17) Sami Zayn
    18) Vader
    19) Kazuchika Okada
    20) Kane (1 point)

So far we have 30 people who weren't included in the list the last time it was done.

That said, we also have 37 names that have not been mentioned yet...

*BUMP*

Are you gonna do up your table for this? Very interested to see how it turned out.

We didn't quite make the top 100 ... but a top 93:

Position Wrestler Totals
    93 Andre The Giant 1
    93 Cody Rhodes 1
    93 Perry Saturn 1
    93 Raven 1
    93 Sid Vicious 1
    88 Billy Gunn 2
    88 Bray Wyatt 2
    88 D'lo brown 2
    88 Lita 2
    88 Mike Awesome 2
    88 Roderick Strong 2
    88 Sabu 2
    88 Sheamus 2
    80 Golddust 3
    80 Jeff Jarrett 3
    80 Marty Scurll 3
    80 Matt Hardy 3
    80 Taz 3
    75 Sami Zayn 4
    74 Austin Aries 5
    74 John Bradshaw Layfield 5
    74 Prince Puma / Ricochet 5
    71 Genichiro Tenyru 6
    71 William Regal 6
    69 Kenny Omega 7
    69 Vader 7
    67 John Morrison 8
    67 Kazuchika Okada 8
    67 Low Ki 8
    64 Diamond Dallas Page 9
    64 Ted Dibiase 9
    64 Tomohiro Ishii 9
    61 Batista 11
    61 British Bulldog 11
    61 Ricky Steamboat 11
    61 Tully Blanchard 11
    61 Vince McMahon 11
    56 Becky Lynch 12
    56 The Miz 12
    54 Harley race 14
    53 Chris Hero 15
    53 Dusty Rhodes 15
    53 Jake Roberts 15
    53 Jerry "The King" Lawler 15
    53 Robert Roode 15
    48 Dean Ambrose 16
    48 Jeff Hardy 16
    48 Roddy Piper 16
    45 Christopher Daniels 17
    45 Ultimate Warrior 17
    43 Arn Anderson 18
    43 Sting 18
    41 Great Muta 19
    41 Terry Funk 19
    41 The Dynamite Kid 19
    38 Christian 20
    37 Finn Balor 21
    36 Booker T 23
    35 Owen Hart 26
    35 Rob Van Dam 26
    33 Mitsuhara Misawa 31
    32 Mick Foley 32
    31 Jushin Lyger 33
    31 Rey Mysterio Jr 33
    29 Curt Hennig 36
    29 Kevin Nash 36
    27 Kenta Kobashi 38
    26 Kevin Owens 39
    25 Randy Orton 41
    24 Hulk Hogan 42
    24 Kane 42
    22 Shinsuke Nakamura 43
    21 Seth Rollins 44
    20 Scott Hall 45
    19 Goldberg 46
    18 Brock Lesnar 53
    17 Edge 63
    16 Chris Benoit 80
    15 CM Punk 96
    14 Randy Savage 110
    13 AJ Styles 122
    12 Ric Flair 129
    11 The Undertaker 134
    10 Triple H 139
    9 Bret Hart 149
    8 John Cena 157
    7 Eddie Guerrero 159
    6 Chris Jericho 179
    5 The Rock 193
    4 Shawn Michaels 198
    3 Steve Austin 208
    2 Daniel Bryan 216
    1 Kurt Angle 223

**apologies for any errors!

Great Work Imnotthehulk, You can make a great argument for anyone of the top 5 to be number 1.

Though it will boggle me how Misawa, Kenta, and others are behind Kane on the list. (thats just my personal taste I guess. ha)

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Though it will boggle me how Misawa, Kenta, and others are behind Kane on the list. (thats just my personal taste I guess. ha)

A lot more people would know Kane more than they would know Misawa et al. I've never seen anything of him or Kobashi outside of highlight packages and I've been watching non stop since 1992 and would consider myself knowledgeable. I couldn't rate someone based on a couple of youtube videos, would be disingenuous.

Omackeral wrote: »
    A lot more people would know Kane more than they would know Misawa et al. I've never seen anything of him or Kobashi outside of highlight packages and I've been watching non stop since 1992 and would consider myself knowledgeable. I couldn't rate someone based on a couple of youtube videos, would be disingenuous.

Ah I know that, I completely understand.

I will take this opportunity for those who love a great, hard hitting battle to watch any Misawa v Kenta Match. The ones from the late 90’s are excellent and the one in 2003 (I think) is a masterpiece of a match. No need to know any backstory, each match tells its own tale and holds up today. Go check out one on Youtube/Dailymotion if you have some spare time. The forearm strikes alone from Misawa will make you wince.

Id also like to say Kane is a piss poor wrestler outside of the stipulation matches.

Kane was also helped by me putting him as my #1, giving him almost half of his total points :pac:

Delighted that Becky made the list, and I'm mildly surprised that Angle finished #1. I knew he'd be high up, but I thought #1 would wind up being either Stone Cold or Shawn Michaels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Thanks for setting this up again, and it's amazing what a difference a few years can make! Here are the top 10 side by side for 2016 and 2012

2012:
    10 Ric Flair (2016 number 12)
    9 Chris Benoit (2016 number 16)
    8 Mick Foley (2016 number 32)
    7 Randy Savage (2016 number 14)
    6 Bret Hart
    5 Undertaker (2016 number 11)
    4 Kurt Angle
    3 The Rock
    2 Steve Austin
    1 Shawn Michaels

2016: