Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stay away from Cavan

• 19-10-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I just failed my test for the third time. I've been driving for about a year now, and I just got enough experience to realise that the examiners are full of ****.

God forbid you have shaded glasses against the sun, you will always get marked for poor observation even if you stick your face into the mirror. I just had the perfect run, and they still failed me. There were no hazards (in fact there was barely any traffic to speak of) yet somehow I was marked 4 times having a slow reaction to hazards, which is impossible since my average reaction time is 0.250 ms. There was only 1 guy who ignored a stop and cut me off, and that was the only hazard in the whole exam (obviously I slowed down).

Then there's the roundabouts markings, other drivers don't always indicate where they are going, so I usually slow down to 2nd/3rd gear when entering so that I don't get hit, yet this is attributed to hesitation.

I drove 45 km/h on open road and 25-35 when in populated areas (houses and whatnot) yet I get marked for slow progress on straight roads.

I almost twisted my head off looking around like an idiot on an empty street during a turnabout just so that the examiner can see me looking, yet I still get marked for lack of observation during U-turns.

I let a woman with a child cross the road and let a guy trying to get out on the main road go, yet I get marked for not beckoning others.

And lastly I never let go of the wheel or yanked the car, yet I get marked for poor steering.

My first 2 tests I did have dodgy situations where I could at least understand how they would mark courtesy as mistakes, and in 1 case i did make a mistake on right of way. But this time I performed by the goddamn book to the letter...

As such I have arrived at the conclusion that Cavan examiners are either crooked or have poor ability to observe the driver. ****s sake I'm driving a jeep with mirrors the size of a van and still I'm breaking my neck looking around like a retard to the "blind spots" that cars would usually have with their puny mirrors, how the hell can this get marked is beyond me.

I will no longer take tests there, when I first started out I had 0 experience, but I've been doing a lot in the last year, and I can clearly see that Cavan's RSA offices have ulterior motives for passing you.

If you have taken your test there and passed, then kudos to you, if not, I'd recommend looking to take your test elsewhere, unless you want to keep dumping money into the sinkhole Cavan RSA is. Also, don't believe their 50% pass rate, it's bull**** since not 1 person I know passed on their 1st or 2nd time.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So, to counter point.

I failed my first attempt at a test last week and it was my own fault. The idea of someone being in the car to critique and quantify my ability knocking around in my head, lead me to get 4 grade 2's for cutting the car out while moving off from simple maneuvers as I was trying to be overly sensitive with the clutch.

If you choose not to accept and analyse where you've failed, you'll only fail again as long as you think someone else is purposely preventing you from passing. It's not as if they have to fail you for the repeat business, because there's always a queue of people looking to do the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You should be driving at 50km/h on roads which allow it. Not 45; no reason to drive below the speed limit. Hence marks for progress.

You may not beckon anyone during your test. Doing so results in marks against you.

You should not necessarily be exagerating your movements when doing your checks during the turnabout. What's important is where you look and when, looking all about you is not what the point is.

Your issues with steering could be anything, but not letting go of the wheel doesn't tell us anything. You should be using the push pull method.

You mention average reaction time of 0.25ms... where does that come from? Perhaps you weren't aware of hazards, and you didnt react at all?

Anyway, there are numerous points that you have mentioned that will result in marks against you. It sounds like either you have the wrong ideas about what you need to do to pass the test, or you've become confused. But nothing there sounds like the examiner was excessive in his marking. It just sounds like mistakes were made, and you need to learn from them. And if you instructor doesn't pick up on these mistakes, then perhaps you need a new instructor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

is this not a rehash of another angry poster from a few weeks back?

you failed get a new instructor, listen to advice your been given and dont go to cavan next time them, im sure the testers there dont really give a flying fcuk what you think and wont be upset if you try another centre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The other guy had failed it 4 times. So these are 2 different people coming here to get their ego's stroked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I can see similarities alright neris.
    The overwhelming "how dare these mere mortals challenge my godlike driving" attitude being the biggest one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

You should be driving at 50km/h on roads which allow it. Not 45; no reason to drive below the speed limit. Hence marks for progress.

You may not beckon anyone during your test. Doing so results in marks against you.

You should not necessarily be exagerating your movements when doing your checks during the turnabout. What's important is where you look and when, looking all about you is not what the point is.

Your issues with steering could be anything, but not letting go of the wheel doesn't tell us anything. You should be using the push pull method.

You mention average reaction time of 0.25ms... where does that come from? Perhaps you weren't aware of hazards, and you didnt react at all?

Anyway, there are numerous points that you have mentioned that will result in marks against you. It sounds like either you have the wrong ideas about what you need to do to pass the test, or you've become confused. But nothing there sounds like the examiner was excessive in his marking. It just sounds like mistakes were made, and you need to learn from them. And if you instructor doesn't pick up on these mistakes, then perhaps you need a new instructor?

I was not aware beckoning was against regulation, I'll agree to that.

Last time I was marked for driving at 50 as being reckless. So I thought 45 is a safe way to go and isn't exactly turtle speed. More accurately I was going between 45-48, this is an old jeep so I don't have an electronic display to know my speed to a decimal.

Plenty of software/websites that measure reaction time, the bigger the sample size the more accurate the average. And like I said, 1 car was the only hazard and I reacted the moment it ignored the stop sign. The roads were pretty much empty and I had 1 pedestrian trying to cross, whom I let. So unless he was marking humps as hazards, which I'd only miss if I was blind, I really don't know where he saw them.

I am using the push and pull method, I'm well aware anything better would result in a fail.

As for observation, the U-turn was not the only time he marked me, pretty much on every manoeuvre except reversing he marked me for not looking at mirrors, which I always do, so I conclude he never bothered observing my sight angles. The only time I slightly have to move my head is when checking left mirror, I suppose he always marked me against back/right. I dunno.

My last 2 fails I could at least argue a reason for failing, now it just seems like the guy was in a bad mood and decided to go bananas on that tablet.

This whole test is a cryptic puzzle, all I get is a sheet with some vague descriptions of what went wrong, and why exactly I was marked. Not to mention that it's my word against a supposed professional, meaning his will always be taken over mine, meaning the guy can give 0 ****s about accountability.

It's a pity I didn't have a mounted camera in the jeep, maybe then he'd be doing his job properly. It seems like the test is one big coin flip, that would explain the amount of drivers that never use their signal on the roundabouts, forcing me to doubt every car and scoring me hesitation points.

I mean, it's so erratic that so far three testers have marked me differently for the exact same thing. I always position myself in the middle of the lane (as in, the driver seat). First test I was told that was too close to the curb, second test I was told it was too far from the curb, third test I was told nothing and just got a positioning mark.

What annoys me isn't the fact that I failed the test, it's the fact that the tester failed me.

I ran through 3 different instructors so far, all I get is a "you'll be grand" and then this happens. So either these instructors who's jobs depend on their high pass rate suck at what they do, (one of them worked as a tester for 40+ years) OR the testers are just garbage. I never considered the second option at the beginning, but after spending 6 months driving around rural roads and cities almost every day, I think I've clocked in enough hours to see bull**** when it's in my face.

@Dravokivich Say what you will, but I'm the best in the world at stroking my own ego, I don't need you or anyone else doing it. I made this thread to share my experience and hopefully prevent someone from taking a risk in Cavan, and you just brushed it off like nobody else cares since you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Kensei wrote: »
    I was not aware beckoning was against regulation, I'll agree to that.

Last time I was marked for driving at 50 as being reckless. So I thought 45 is a safe way to go and isn't exactly turtle speed. More accurately I was going between 45-48, this is an old jeep so I don't have an electronic display to know my speed to a decimal.

Plenty of software/websites that measure reaction time, the bigger the sample size the more accurate the average. And like I said, 1 car was the only hazard and I reacted the moment it ignored the stop sign. The roads were pretty much empty and I had 1 pedestrian trying to cross, whom I let. So unless he was marking humps as hazards, which I'd only miss if I was blind, I really don't know where he saw them.

I am using the push and pull method, I'm well aware anything better would result in a fail.

As for observation, the U-turn was not the only time he marked me, pretty much on every manoeuvre except reversing he marked me for not looking at mirrors, which I always do, so I conclude he never bothered observing my sight angles. The only time I slightly have to move my head is when checking left mirror, I suppose he always marked me against back/right. I dunno.

My last 2 fails I could at least argue a reason for failing, now it just seems like the guy was in a bad mood and decided to go bananas on that tablet.

This whole test is a cryptic puzzle, all I get is a sheet with some vague descriptions of what went wrong, and why exactly I was marked. Not to mention that it's my word against a supposed professional, meaning his will always be taken over mine, meaning the guy can give 0 ****s about accountability.

It's a pity I didn't have a mounted camera in the jeep, maybe then he'd be doing his job properly. It seems like the test is one big coin flip, that would explain the amount of drivers that never use their signal on the roundabouts, forcing me to doubt every car and scoring me hesitation points.

I mean, it's so erratic that so far three testers have marked me differently for the exact same thing. I always position myself in the middle of the lane (as in, the driver seat). First test I was told that was too close to the curb, second test I was told it was too far from the curb, third test I was told nothing and just got a positioning mark.

What annoys me isn't the fact that I failed the test, it's the fact that the tester failed me.

I ran through 3 different instructors so far, all I get is a "you'll be grand" and then this happens. So either these instructors who's jobs depend on their high pass rate suck at what they do, (one of them worked as a tester for 40+ years) OR the testers are just garbage. I never considered the second option at the beginning, but after spending 6 months driving around rural roads and cities almost every day, I think I've clocked in enough hours to see bull**** when it's in my face.

@Dravokivich Say what you will, but I'm the best in the world at stroking my own ego, I don't need you or anyone else doing it. I made this thread to share my experience and hopefully prevent someone from taking a risk in Cavan, and you just brushed it off like nobody else cares since you don't.

Hi,

The correct position on the road is to drive a safe but not excessive distance from the left hand side. (Advanced drivers call this your "safety line" )

This safe distance from the left will depend on numerous factors - your speed, weather and road conditions, location and line of sight to name just a few.

By using the "steering wheel in the middle of the lane" method, is hit or miss, this will sometimes be the correct position, but if the road is wide then you will be too far from the left, narrow road too close, and then the other variables I mentioned above must also be taken into account.

Lanes are marked by two parallel white lines, and two or more are painted on the roads to help segregate traffic. You position your car in the centre of a lane.

But if no parallel white lines you are therefore on a road and the above positional rules apply - safe distance etc etc

Try a fourth instructor

While I see the reasoning behind this explanation, from what I've seen for almost everyone on the road this is a personal decision. There are roads that i've seen people drive in the middle of the dividing line because the side is too broken. And while it is a valid argument that my distance judgement may have been incorrect in places, such as when cars are parked on both sides and me choosing the middle of an empty road (i don't know if I'm supposed to be more to the left, but then how do I keep the door distance), it still doesn't valid a fail because if that was the case, the road positioning with beckoning would amount to 3 grade 2 out of possible 6.

At this rate I Co.Cavan will run out of instructors, heh, and testers lol :D

While I see the reasoning behind this explanation, from what I've seen for almost everyone on the road this is a personal decision. There are roads that i've seen people drive in the middle of the dividing line because the side is too broken. And while it is a valid argument that my distance judgement may have been incorrect in places, such as when cars are parked on both sides and me choosing the middle of an empty road (i don't know if I'm supposed to be more to the left, but then how do I keep the door distance), it still doesn't valid a fail because if that was the case, the road positioning with beckoning would amount to 3 grade 2 out of possible 6.

At this rate I Co.Cavan will run out of instructors, heh, and testers lol :D

Hi

In town driving you should normally drive past parked cars by roughly a door width. However if you can not give this distance you slow down. You must be able to deal with any hazard, such as pedestrian stepping out or a car door opening. Your "Safety Line" is not a fixed distance but varies as conditions change. A good instructor will explain all this. Not give you a bald One size fits all statement, "Wheel in the centre of the lane".

Re beckoning, you must not beckon anybody, you could be directing them into danger.

A speed ramp is classed as a hazard, driving too fast over one will earn a fault.

Wow, never expected him to get me on ramps... Jeep has very low gear ratios so 2nd gear is the best I can do, 1st gear is basically walking speed. And the suspension is for rough terrain so you can feel every bump, I dunno, unlike the first 2 times, I still can't see a clear reason for failing. From an objective view it just seems like the tester was dead set on failing me.

I mean come on, the guy gave me a grade 1 AND grade 2 for steering when I exclusively used that outdated push'n'pull method and had my hands at 1000-1400 all the time. That's another thing that's cryptic, no clue how these grades are decided, unless I drive with 1 hand or with no hands I can't understand how any case can be argued for steering.

It seems like a lot of people here think the guy's assessment is correct, and I would assume they have full licenses. But when did you take your test? I know a few people with 20+ driving experience that are trying to get a trailer licence and get failed on observation among other things like signalling. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the whole system overhauled in 2012 when provisional licenses went out the window? These tests seem like a checkbox exercise, which would explain every tester's robotic behavior, and the equally robotic algorithm that gives you the "detailed" report.

Either way, I stand by my suggestion to avoid Cavan, unless I indeed am too egotistic to recognise my mistakes. Though I highly doubt that, since I like analysing them to prevent future iterations. That or it may have to be with me not being Irish, wouldn't be the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'd have sympathy for the OP.

One tester's grade 1 is another tester's grade 2. Some testers would give a grade 3 in certain circumstances when others will give a grade 2 for the same thing. There's an awful lot open interpretation.

What I would say is that testers may generally (not always) be kinder to you when deciding between a grade 1/2 or 2/3 if they feel you're a good driver overall, know all the rules of the road, hand signals, car checks etc. and have the windscreen/mirrors clean.

If I was to give advice to anybody sitting the test now it would be do everything you can to get a test time where the traffic in your area is at it's quietest (early morning). You'll have less hazards to deal, more straightforward decisions at junctions/roundabouts, easier to pull out etc. and thus less of a chance to screw things up. Remember, a lot of driving safely is about dealing with other peoples crap.

So if your test time is at 4.30pm on a Friday, I'd cancel it. Then ring the RSA every morning and request a cancellation date for your test centre, and accept one at a handy time and refuse any awkward ones. This is how their cancellation system works - it's a first come first served basis and you will get offers if you keep ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd have sympathy for the OP.

One tester's grade 1 is another tester's grade 2. Some testers would give a grade 3 in certain circumstances when others will give a grade 2 for the same thing. There's an awful lot open interpretation.

What I would say is that testers may generally (not always) be kinder to you when deciding between a grade 1/2 or 2/3 if they feel you're a good driver overall, know all the rules of the road, hand signals, car checks etc. and have the windscreen/mirrors clean.

If I was to give advice to anybody sitting the test now it would be do everything you can to get a test time where the traffic in your area is at it's quietest (early morning). You'll have less hazards to deal, more straightforward decisions at junctions/roundabouts, easier to pull out etc. and thus less of a chance to screw things up. Remember, a lot of driving safely is about dealing with other peoples crap.

So if your test time is at 4.30pm on a Friday, I'd cancel it. Then ring the RSA every morning and request a cancellation date for your test centre, and accept one at a handy time and refuse any awkward ones. This is how their cancellation system works - it's a first come first served basis and you will get offers if you keep ringing.

"Dealing with other people's crap" as you put it is what you'll have to do forevermore as a driver. If someone can't demonstrate that they can deal with that during a 30 minute drive are you seriously suggesting they deserve a full licence?

OP, there seems to be lots of things you didn't realize or know about in relation to the test. How much test preparation have you done prior to each test? Did you complete EDT lessons also?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

OP YOU failed the test 3 times and you are blaming the testers.
    Maybe you should take responsibility for the failings and work on them with your instructor instead of blaming everyone and everything else on the road.
    I'm surprised nobody has come in and said "sue they have to fail a certain amount anyway" yet.
    Always hear that from people who failed the test and didn't want to accept responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

"Dealing with other people's crap" as you put it is what you'll have to do forevermore as a driver. If someone can't demonstrate that they can deal with that during a 30 minute drive are you seriously suggesting they deserve a full licence?

I'm not talking about whether someone 'deserves' a full license or not. That's a different conversation. I'm simply stating an opinion that you have a significantly higher chance of passing the test if you do it on a quiet morning as opposed to a busy afternoon as there are less pedestrians and traffic to deal with and thus less of a chance of picking up grade 2s/3s.

The test is a game and you have to play it right. I'd personally do everything possible to increase the odds of me passing.

Hi,

Re ramps. Ramps have no standard shape or size, the examiner is supposed to assume that you have never been on the route before, so, if you take reasonable care to negotiate the first ramp and the car (jeep) still takes a jolt he should not mark you. However, you should have now learned that they are vicious SOB's and not very kind to your suspension. If the next ramp appears to be the same shape/size you must now slow further down, drop down another gear or two. Does not matter how slow, just don't jolt the examiner.

If you do not understand fully why you failed the test then you were not prepared properly for it. The test syllabus is very clear and simple. Drive safely, while maintaining reasonable. progress. No hidden agenda whatsoever. A good instructor knows exactly what and why an examiner marks in the test.

Examiners have a very bad press, "A poor workman blames his tools". Poor instructors blame examiners.

Will admit some can and do mark quite hard for some aspects of the test, but then they may mark easier on other aspects. Swings and roundabouts. Just prepare for the strictest one and you'll be grand. That is, If you can find a good instructor. Good luck in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sounds to me like your concentrating too much on what the tester expects instead of just relaxing and concentrating on your normal driving.

If you are constantly checking that you are doing exactly 45, your hands are exactly 10/2, your road position is exactly center, and then over-exaggerating head movements when observing it could be very easy to miss that there was something on the side of the road that you should have slowed down for and get marked for missing a hazard.

Also I wonder if doing it in a jeep would put a tester off a bit. You mention that the suspension is rough and from a jeep the observation angles may be different, so certain things that are normal in a jeep but don't happen in a car may work against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

You're always free to have your test at another centre if you really do believe there is a big conspiracy in Cavan.

matrim wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your concentrating too much on what the tester expects instead of just relaxing and concentrating on your normal driving.

If you are constantly checking that you are doing exactly 45, your hands are exactly 10/2, your road position is exactly center, and then over-exaggerating head movements when observing it could be very easy to miss that there was something on the side of the road that you should have slowed down for and get marked for missing a hazard.

Also I wonder if doing it in a jeep would put a tester off a bit. You mention that the suspension is rough and from a jeep the observation angles may be different, so certain things that are normal in a jeep but don't happen in a car may work against you.

The jeep won't affect the tester

matrim wrote: »

This is actually really good advice, next time I'm gonna pretend the tester is that annoying GPS voice and do my own thing. Also I think I figured out why I got wrecked...I have tinted glasses vs the sun, so I suspect the tester saw jack **** and marked me for observation. FML.

Regarding the jeep, I was of the opinion that it would be easier in the jeep cuz you can pretty much see everything. And I'm driving a small Mitsubishi Pajero, it's like a lifted glass box, feels like a friggin bus compared to that cramped up tiny Fiesta with a bazilion blind spots that I had to learn on.

• Advertisement

This is actually really good advice, next time I'm gonna pretend the tester is that annoying GPS voice and do my own thing. Also I think I figured out why I got wrecked...I have tinted glasses vs the sun, so I suspect the tester saw jack **** and marked me for observation. FML.

Regarding the jeep, I was of the opinion that it would be easier in the jeep cuz you can pretty much see everything. And I'm driving a small Mitsubishi Pajero, it's like a lifted glass box, feels like a friggin bus compared to that cramped up tiny Fiesta with a bazilion blind spots that I had to learn on.

The sunglasses weren't the problem.

Can you tell me what preparation you did in the immediate run up to each test and how far apart each test was.

First 2 test I ran 1 month apart, 3rd test was 5 months. First 2 tests I spent a week driving in Cavan, 1 lesson day before test. Rest of the time mostly rural driving and small town driving.

Last test I pretty much circled Co.Cavan + Cavan 3 times per week, + minor driving for errands and such. 1 lesson before test. For all 3 I had 1 day maneuver practice per week (precision reversing and all that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

First 2 test I ran 1 month apart, 3rd test was 5 months. First 2 tests I spent a week driving in Cavan, 1 lesson day before test. Rest of the time mostly rural driving and small town driving.

Last test I pretty much circled Co.Cavan + Cavan 3 times per week, + minor driving for errands and such. 1 lesson before test. For all 3 I had 1 day maneuver practice per week (precision reversing and all that).

This is your problem.

You need multiple pre test lessons with someone who knows the test routes and where the key parts are.

I passed my test in Cavan on the 2nd attempt. The driving instructor knew all the routes and even knew the testers and what they were looking for, there are some quirks to the routes they use which you need to be prepared for.

This is generally the same for all test centres.

So you've done basically no preparation with an ADI leading up to all 3 tests and you're wondering why you're failing and blaming the testers instead of what you're not doing?

There's your answer. Go and find a good driving instructor. Get 1 pretest lesson. Follow his/her advance and recommendations. If that means you need to do more lessons so be it.

As it stands you've spent €255 on tests alone. Imagine investing some of that in lessons!

So you've done basically no preparation with an ADI leading up to all 3 tests and you're wondering why you're failing and blaming the testers instead of what you're not doing?

There's your answer. Go and find a good driving instructor. Get 1 pretest lesson. Follow his/her advance and recommendations. If that means you need to do more lessons so be it.

As it stands you've spent €255 on tests alone. Imagine investing some of that in lessons!

I just said that I've been doing exactly that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I mean come on, the guy gave me a grade 1 AND grade 2 for steering when I exclusively used that outdated push'n'pull method and had my hands at 1000-1400 all the time. That's another thing that's cryptic, no clue how these grades are decided, unless I drive with 1 hand or with no hands I can't understand how any case can be argued for steering.

I'm no expert on this as I've never sat a test and I'm on the road for less than a third of the time that you are, but I suspect 'steering' is about more than your hands on the wheel and every bit as much if not more about how you are actually steering the car. My instructor is a total perfectionist and at a fairly early stage in my learning we spent an entire lesson turning. We just went left and left and left until he was happy with it and then we went right and right and right. I found it extremely frustrating at first as I thought I was beyond that point and that he was being a bit fussy. At that point I considered my steering to be fine. I went around the corners and stayed on my side of the road. It wasn't perfect but I figured it was fine and I'd get better with experience. And I thought the lesson was overkill.

But I was turning too late on right turns, then over-steering as I turned to avoid hitting the curb, ending up too far onto the right after the turn and then having to correct my position. I was keeping my hands at 10&2 and using push-pull, I was technically staying in my lane but I wasn't steering well. That also counts for observation. I could make the biggest show in the world of turning my head left and right and all about but without looking in the right place at the right time, I can't make a turn exactly as I should do. So maybe your turns are just perfect all the time but if they aren't, if they wobble a bit, if you regularly find yourself having to correct your position after a turn, if you reposition sharply after overtaking an obstacle I wouldn't be surprised if all of those things could be causing an examiner to mark you down for steering and observation.

I just said that I've been doing exactly that...

You said you did 1 lesson the day before the test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

The testers shouldn't care about what method of steering you use on the test as long as you maintain proper control. Keep your hands in the proper positions and don't steer one-handed, palm the wheel, grip the wheel from the inside, or cross and lock your arms and you'll be fine. I steer hand-over-hand and I got no marks for it on my test.

You said you did 1 lesson the day before the test...

I said I did one lesson before each test.

Regarding steering, I know for a fact that not using push-n-pull method will grade badly.

• Advertisement

I said I did one lesson before each test

It's clearly insufficient. Invest time and money in quality lessons before your next test. Take them over a period of weeks to give you time to work on the areas the instructor tells you to and in the way he/she tells you to.
    One a week is probably sufficient. This method, rather than doing a few closer to your test is best.
    One lesson the day before your test is fire fighting. Give an instructor the opportunity to help you help yourself.

Advertisement