Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stay away from Cavan

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The Cavan driving schools usually try to give you a lesson an hour before the test. So if your test is 9am, you would be offered a 45 minute lesson at 8am. Then while all is frequency in your mind, you do the actual test. Its not a complicated urban area for a test, there is only one traffic light in the whole town, and four roundabout.. And the town is almost all one way streets. Get more lessons, change school if you dont "gell " with the instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Kensei wrote: »
    I said I did one lesson before each test.

Regarding steering, I know for a fact that not using push-n-pull method will grade badly.

Hi,

Re steering, provided you are in full control you will not be marked irrespective how or by what method you turn the wheel.

However, I did have one pupil who failed for "Steering". He would hold the steering wheel at "six - thirty". I told him repeatedly hold the wheel at least quarter to three, he would for a few seconds then back down to half - six. (Some bad habits are hard to beat.)

Holding the wheel in that way, he would not have full control - hence the fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

I'm posting here to put this story to an end. After the fail, I did find an instructor in Cavan with 40+ years of testing experience. The man told me I should reapply immediately for a test since I don't have the outlined problems the fail report suggests. I went to Cavan, only to fail a fourth time.

After failing I got lucky and got another test date for next week, which was yesterday, however this time in Carrick. I've never driven in Carrick before, and have only been there once for a party. Passed with 3 grade 2's. So yes, based on my experience, I would recommend to try your luck elsewhere before applying for a test in Cavan.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Kensei wrote: »
    I'm posting here to put this story to an end. After the fail, I did find an instructor in Cavan with 40+ years of testing experience. The man told me I should reapply immediately for a test since I don't have the outlined problems the fail report suggests. I went to Cavan, only to fail a fourth time.

After failing I got lucky and got another test date for next week, which was yesterday, however this time in Carrick. I've never driven in Carrick before, and have only been there once for a party. Passed with 3 grade 2's. So yes, based on my experience, I would recommend to try your luck elsewhere before applying for a test in Cavan.

/thread

Congrats. So much for the ' expert ' advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There needs to be a video system installed or a system of secret testing of testers to ensure uniformity of testing across all test centres. Maybe the RSA should appoint inspectors to take driving tests unannounced and mark the testers. A lot of industries involving relationships between people in authority and vulnerable customers, I would classify learner drivers as vulnerable customers, are subject to unannounced inspections and surveillance to ensure uniformity, transparency and accountability in their dealings with the public.

There needs to be a comprehensive guide published detailing exactly what needs to be done to pass a test. The rules of the road are too vague and there needs to be an exact driving methods book published and used. What do the cops, army and big transport users do???

Re: dealing with others people crap....because the road is a shared space this is what every road user has to do every time they go out their front door, as a pedestrian, cyclist, car driver, etc... unfortunately this will not improve over time as roads get busier, cars get faster and urbanisation makes road layouts more and more complex.

There should be an ombudsman and a complaints procedure and appeals system in place for tests and testers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

doolox wrote: »
    There needs to be a video system installed or a system of secret testing of testers to ensure uniformity of testing across all test centres. Maybe the RSA should appoint inspectors to take driving tests unannounced and mark the testers. A lot of industries involving relationships between people in authority and vulnerable customers, I would classify learner drivers as vulnerable customers, are subject to unannounced inspections and surveillance to ensure uniformity, transparency and accountability in their dealings with the public.

There needs to be a comprehensive guide published detailing exactly what needs to be done to pass a test. The rules of the road are too vague and there needs to be an exact driving methods book published and used. What do the cops, army and big transport users do???

Re: dealing with others people crap....because the road is a shared space this is what every road user has to do every time they go out their front door, as a pedestrian, cyclist, car driver, etc... unfortunately this will not improve over time as roads get busier, cars get faster and urbanisation makes road layouts more and more complex.

There should be an ombudsman and a complaints procedure and appeals system in place for tests and testers.

Testers are regularly checked by a supervisor who accompanies them on a test. They MAY of course change their style but a checking system is in place.

There are far too many variables when driving to publish an "exact" set of procedures as it would have to cover EVERY scenario to be of any value.

A complaints and appeals procedure is in place. It won't get a test decision overturned but it may result in a free retest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

doolox wrote: »

Hi,

But the Irish test is absolutely straightforward. Simply drive safely with due regard for all other road users. Any competent driving instructor knows exactly what is required. Its all in the "Rules" and a persons own basic common sense.

There is far too much emphasis on the actual driving test here in Ireland. On the first lesson the most common question I used to be asked was "When will I be ready" or "How many lessons will it take", I'd ask "for what" and the answer would invariably be, "Too pass the test, of course"

I used to reply that I was not teaching them to pass a test but simply to drive safely and competently. If I succeeded they would pass the driving test no problem - and in any town on any route and by any examiner.

The reason people fail the test is very simple. They were not at a safe standard of driving as set by the RSA. No secret agenda, no quota.

Advertisement