Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American student having trouble securing job?

Options
  • 19-10-2016 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

I was recommended to get advice on this site by a friend. I have a working holiday visa (similar to the Irish J-1) and took a year off of uni to travel; I have been in Galway for about a month now, and have applied to every single position in every venue possible- both online/offline. I have applied to so many places in person...and online as well on various websites. I've contacted recruitment agencies and etc. - never even heard a word back. I've even been to local universities to look at positions there...and was told they are only open to their students- not students from abroad. The local employment agency gave me a list of recruitment agencies (which I've already done)...

I have extensive experience in reception, administrative work, marketing, recruitment, leadership positions, and even food service. I've gone into cafes, restaurants, and stores- applied in person there as well.

I've never had a problem getting a job in the U.S- and I think that is what is making so much of a 'shock' (for lack of a better word) for me.

I've contacted every single one (from Sigmar to CLS to Hay's). It's been quite a while, and I have received no response.

And to be 100% honest, it's really starting to get to my head and I am extremely stressed out because of this. I am really starting to lose hope on job prospects...as I feel like I've exhausted every resource.

I don't know what I am doing wrong...does anyone have any directional advice? Any kind of input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Would you consider moving to Dublin...there will be lots more job opportunities in Dublin than elsewhere...Galway would be good during tourist season..now over.
    You could also contact USIT as I know they are trying to attract US students to Ireland to work..best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skittles_1

Hey.!

USIT have a Work and Travel Ireland Program where they help hundreds of American students throughout the year secure jobs and accommodation.

Their website is:
    workandtravelireland.org

I've had friends on the program and they loved it! They said it was really helpful as they provide career advice, CV assistance and recruitment opportunities when they have some available.

Be worth checking out cause they advertise some components of their packages seperately if you don't need the whole package offer either, you just need to contact them as they aren't advertised on their page :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It's still not exactly a super-buoyant job market at the moment even if things have improved a lot. The jobs market can be slow moving, especially in less busy urban areas and you have the added issue of a visa, which is probably just causing certain employers to think it's an unnecessary hassle.

Perhaps try the face-to-face dropping your CV in approach for areas like retail, restaurants, bars etc. Also, make sure your CV is in Irish format. Some American résumé formats can just look odd.

Clarify exactly how your visa works on the front page too. A lot of employers won't have a clue and may think you need sponsorship or a lot of extra paperwork done which could be a barrier. I know I faced that in the US with J-1 years ago.

You may have to network the hell out of it to find an initial job.

You're more likely to pick up retail and similar jobs in Dublin, Cork and the cities but try tourist-focused places too as you might find you'll pick something up.

Also, maybe try some of the Irish-American organisations and international student orgs to see if they've any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I know that a lot of Germans (used to?) come to Ireland to do work&travel by "woofing." That means they work on farms and there is a specific website with offers but one needs to pay to get access, I think. If it doesn't have to be an office job maybe that a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Unfortunately two things are against you - timing and not being local. University started back a month ago so there are large numbers of students all looking for jobs too. Galway is a lovely place to live but it does work in a "who you know" basis! Any decent jobs aren't advertised, they go to someone who knows someone in the company. I'm not Irish and I got my own job that way through networking. Join a sports club, choir etc to build contacts.
    There will be lots more jobs coming up for the busy Christmas period though- Argos, dunnes and other retail jobs for the Christmas extended opening hours. Apply now for those. Also look for jobs in Santa experiences. My friend was an elf one year (cool!) Hope you find something soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement