Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I really need a survey?

Options
  • 19-10-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying an apartment, I was going to do the survey and when I mentioned it to the bank they were surprised I would want to spend the 400 euro on it.
    Come to think of it, what could the surveyor possibly be able to find in an apartment?
    There's damp/mold issues possibly but other than that they can't look at plumbing or electricity, the building is only 10 years old, and the apartment is not on the top nor ground floor.

So what do you think? Am I mad thinking I could do without a survey? Wouldn't mind saving a few hundred quids...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

That's few hundred euro could save you thousands in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I was buying an apartment, I would have the survey done. While the surveyor will be looking majorly at the unit you are buying, they might find evidence of structural problem with the entire block, they may note poor fire proofing as has been noted alot recently. You don't want to get into the situation where you are an owner of a defective property and forced to pay into fund to put it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

10 years ago is when the worst of the slapdash building happened. Survey may save you buying a Priory Hall in disguise - it was damp/mouldy etc but not every firetrap is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Survey is best money you will ever spend, I wish I had had a proper one done on the first place I bought, would have saved €€€€. One of the guys I work with back out of 2 apartments after surveys turned stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you are going to sink thousands into buying an apartment 400 quid on a survey is nothing it could save you money if there are any fire safety or structural defects. There are lot of badly built apartments out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I know of apartments where poor insulation and ventilation mean that the apartments are constantly damp, fabric and clothes become damp or never dry out, and mould and mildew constantly recur.

Sales of the properties have fallen through because surveyors have spotted the problems. The owners are stuck with those properties, for the time being at least.

I wouldn't like to get stuck with a property like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Do the survey.
    Would you spend €10,000 on a car without getting a mechanic to look it over? You are spending probably 10 or 20 times that much on an apartment and you think you will save €400 by not having it surveyed????

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thanks everyone, I'll get the survey done then.

Advertisement