Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withdrawing on a pension

• 19-10-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

I think I know the answer to this but does anyone know if I can withdraw on my private pension?

Could do with some extra cash at the moment and I dont feel like paying into one anymore.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Greenduck wrote: »
    I think I know the answer to this but does anyone know if I can withdraw on my private pension?

Very unlikely
    Could do with some extra cash at the moment and I dont feel like paying into one anymore.

Your choice but when you're old don't start voting for politicians you will try raid my lifetime of savings to give it to you because you're too poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

What age are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

There are very limited circumstances where you can withdraw from your pension. Usually if you have been paying in for less than 2 years you may be able to withdraw your contributions (subject to tax at 20%), you will not be able to withdraw any contributions that were made by your employer. Speaking from experience you would be unwise to not continue your pension even at a very low level of contribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Very unlikely

Your choice but when you're old don't start voting for politicians you will try raid my lifetime of savings to give it to you because you're too poor.

My father paid into a pension his whole life and got about 10% of it back after being completed shafted. Forgive me if I don't feel like following suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Greenduck wrote: »
    My father paid into a pension his whole life and got about 10% of it back after being completed shafted. Forgive me if I don't feel like following suit.

Grand, I don't know how he managed to lose 90 per cent of his pension but if I take you at your word and accept it's true, I will manage mine a lot better than your dad did his.

Either way may statement still stands your poor choices now don't mean you're entitled to the fruits of my prudent choices now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Grand, I don't know how he managed to lose 90 per cent of his pension but if I take you at your word and accept it's true, I will manage mine a lot better than your dad did his.

Either way may statement still stands your poor choices now don't mean you're entitled to the fruits of my prudent choices now.

Good for you! I really hope your prudent choices prove fruitful for you and you never come on hard times. You're post was incredibly helpful so thanks!

Advertisement