Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of hedge is this?

Options
  • 19-10-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what kind of hedge I have around the back of my house?

Pictures attached below.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what kind of hedge I have around the back of my house?

Pictures attached below.

Thanks

Leylandii

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Looks like cypress leylandii. Can be difficult to control if they get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Give serious consideration to removing them while they are still young and get something else more attractive and manageable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Looks like cypress leylandii. Can be difficult to control if they get out of hand.
    rje66 wrote: »
    Leylandii
    Give serious consideration to removing them while they are still young and get something else more attractive and manageable!!

Thanks,

Do you know if it will grow much taller?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks,

They can grow to being ginormous if not kept under control.

• Advertisement

They can grow to being ginormous if not kept under control.

Cheers,
    Better get it trimmed so.

Anyone rough idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

It will be taller than your house in a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Cheers,
    Better get it trimmed so.

Anyone rough idea of cost?

You will be trimming heavily for the rest of your life !
    Cheaper to replace now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

Cut them down to around 6-7 foot and maintain at that height.

paddydone1 wrote: »
    Cut them down to around 6-7 foot and maintain at that height.

Is this the tool I need?
    http://www.samhire.ie/gardening/item/144-pole-hedge-trimmer.html

http://www.hss.ie/g/62416/Long-Handled-Hedge-Trimmer.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK no-one knows how tall it will grow; it's a hybrid, a cross between two other species, which was first crossed about 150 years ago. the oldest ones are still growing.
    yours are very close to the wall, and unless they're performing a function you want, i'd take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I would agree with others -- get rid of them now while you can. They will grow and spread -and don't forget their roots are spreading everywhere too. They are only suitable for large parklands. There are lots of lovely shrubs that will give you colour and cover and apart from a bit of trimming now and again will need very little looking after.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is absolutely not a good place to have laylandii (is any place a good place for them?) but they will very soon do damage to that wall. Agree with the rest, take them out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They are the fastest growing conifers in the country and they will have that wall knocked over within 5 years. They can reach 50 feet in just 16 years. You need to trim them very often as if you allow them to get out of hand you cannot cut them back hard as they will not regrow shoots from brown wood. They are probably the number one cause of disputes with neighbours.

lottpaul wrote: »
    I would agree with others -- get rid of them now while you can. They will grow and spread -and don't forget their roots are spreading everywhere too. They are only suitable for large parklands. There are lots of lovely shrubs that will give you colour and cover and apart from a bit of trimming now and again will need very little looking after.
    looksee wrote: »
    That is absolutely not a good place to have laylandii (is any place a good place for them?) but they will very soon do damage to that wall. Agree with the rest, take them out now.
    veetwin wrote: »
    I'd say this would be more appropriate for those trees;

http://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/product/dolmar/dolmar-chainsaws/dolmar-2-stroke-chainsaw-ps35-35/

They will get out of control if they are allowed to grow.
    They are the fastest growing conifers in the country and they will have that wall knocked over within 5 years. They can reach 50 feet in just 16 years. You need to trim them very often as if you allow them to get out of hand you cannot cut them back hard as they will not regrow shoots from brown wood. They are probably the number one cause of disputes with neighbours.

Thanks for advice guys.

Advertisement