Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists and the law,is anyone else sick of them breaking it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sure you did. Got a video to prove it?

:rolleyes:

Thats rich. Maybe he deleted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

It actually worked out perfectly. I fully expected it to be locked but this one left open, in essence proving my point :D

You tried to be smart and you got blown completely out of the water mate.:D

Oh you proved your point allright.;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm not sure I get your point. Are you suggesting that there are parking laws in place that allow parking on pavements? If so, what particular laws are you referring to?

The ones the gardai enforce of course and the same laws that allow councils to fine motorcycles for parking in 'car' spaces, they will happily tell you to park on the footpath, suggest you give them a call.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    The ones the gardai enforce of course and the same laws that allow councils to fine motorcycles for paring in 'car' spaces, they will happily tell you to park on the footpath, suggest you give them a call.

hense picture of bike in Portmarnock and having a nice friendly chat with the gardai on the beat..;):D

PS-...dont mention about cyclists cycling on footpaths and forcing padestrians out of the way.The Lycra Brigade wont like that much.:pac::pac:

All this talk of cycling has me in the mood for a cycle now.
    Time to check me tyre pressures and make sure me chain isnt rusted up.:D

Note to self....RED light means that I actually have to stop and not cycle right on through it.Must not ignore that red light,even when I see its red from 100 yards away,like alot of other cyclists do.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

OK just for you guys (cuz you asked so nicely) I'll compile a compendium of videos of Motorcyclists breaking the law and upload them here... give it a few days and I'll get several ... better keep this thread open I guess

Cyclists going through red lights won't kill anyone (except themselves)... Motorcyclists undertaking cars or running reds run the risk of killing others (and themselves), so are more worthy of video footage.

Woah we've regressed back to the starting arguments again ;)
    Wonder will you be so quick or forgetfull to eh "delete" that video from your SD card.:rolleyes::p

oh dear... the camera automatically overwrites old footage, I thought I made that clear

OK just for you guys (cuz you asked so nicely) I'll compile a compendium of videos of Motorcyclists breaking the law and upload them here... give it a few days and I'll get several ... better keep this thread open I guess

oh wow youtube here we come.:pac:

Maybe you should stop at a set of traffic lights or a busy junction and video the amount of bikers who go through those red lights compared to the amount of cyclists who go through them and potentially causing RTA from oncomming cars/trucks/bikes who actually a green light and have the right of way.

Go and video that please.:D

Wonder will you be so quick to eh "delete" that video from your SD card.:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Cyclists going through red lights won't kill anyone (except themselves)...

A pedestrian crossing the road might not quite agree with that one.

Cyclists going through red lights won't kill anyone (except themselves)... Motorcyclists undertaking cars or running reds run the risk of killing others (and themselves), so are more worthy of video footage.

Woah we've regressed back to the starting arguments again ;)

oh dear... the camera automatically overwrites old footage, I thought I made that clear

Is that the best you can come up with??

really like lad,come on now........blown completely out of the water and you cant stand it.:P

Please do go and video a busy road junction with traffic lights and video the amount of bikers who ride through those red lights compared to the amount of cyclists who ride through those red lights.

PLEASE VIDEO THAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Maybe you should stop at a set of traffic lights or a busy junction and video the amount of bikers who go through those red lights compared to the amount of cyclists who go through them and potentially causing RTA from oncomming cars/trucks/bikes who actually a green light and have the right of way.

Back and forth, back and forth, it's like wanker tennis. Give it a rest would ya.

lambayire wrote: »

Going through red lights does not mean running into pedestrians.. we've discussed this already.

Going through red lights when there is traffic/pedestrians = problem.

Going through red lights when no traffic/pedestrians = no problem.

This thread isn't going to change anyone's behaviour so is rather pointless, but only serves as a place to vent if anything.

ok.. I'm bored, back to work... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Cyclists going through red lights won't kill anyone (except themselves)...

You still need to be a bit thick to do it. imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

This thread isn't going to change anyone's behaviour so is rather pointless, but only serves as a place to vent if anything.

You might save your vids next time or maybe you waffled??? In that case I doubt it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

You might save your vids next time or maybe you waffled??? In that case I doubt it.

Yeah I guess I must have found that image of the Motorcyclist in the bus lane on d'net?

I guess you've no way of knowing that the videos I put up are mine either

Going through red lights does not mean running into pedestrians.. we've discussed this already.

Going through red lights when there is traffic/pedestrians = problem.

Going through red lights when no traffic/pedestrians = no problem.

But if you cant see and wont see a red light then you cant see and wont see a padestrian walking or about to walk accross the road at their green light.
    Think about it.

Are you thinking of something usefull to say now,to try and get you out of the huge big hole you have just dug for yourself.;):D

Video a busy traffic light junction and post the results here please.
    Bikers who ride through them compared to cyclists who ride through them please.

And no more excuses that you forgot,deleted it or that anyone is attacking you.

Yeah I guess I must have found that image of the Motorcyclist in the bus lane on d'net?

I guess you've no way of knowing that the videos I put up are mine either

Before or after 7am or 7pm or on a Sunday when its open to all road users.:D

Blown completely out of the water mate.:P:D

You had better get back to work,remember because you are eh "bored now".Or just the fact that you have run out of excuses now and keep digging a bigger hole for yourself.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you tell me where you'll be I'll wheelie through a red light for ya too :pac:

Looking forward to seeing this "video comparrison" you are going to make of the busy traffic light junction.:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Let's play a little game.

The next person to reply to this thread loses. Don't be a loser.

• Advertisement

If you tell me where you'll be I'll wheelie through a red light for ya too :pac:

whats a wheelie?;):D.......rofl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rat_race wrote: »
    Let's play a little game.

The next person to reply to this thread loses. Don't be a loser.
    whats a wheelie?;):D.......rofl

Loser ^^^ Loser ^^^ Loser ^^^ :p

Loser ^^^ Loser ^^^ Loser ^^^ :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I think this threads gone beyond redundant. Is there any point arguing that some cyclist ignore red lights? We all know it happens & any who claim it doesn't hasn't spent much time on the roads of Dublin. Are they a menace? For the most part no, you do get the odd ones who will fly through a pedestrian crossing, this happens frequently at some junctions too. But most of the time what happens is the RLJ goes through a red light, hugs the kerb & goes past the line of static traffic to their right. It's not as common with cars (though it still happens) because they can't fit in the gap to the left of the traffic. Where there is a clear route you can bet your ass there will be 1, 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 cars that will tail through a red light. Even in traffic you'll get people blocking the junction on a yellow box. I can't say I've noticed as much with bikers as they are not as frequently blocking the way of other traffic but I have no doubt a lot of people on bikes break a few rules, whether by speeding, riding in a mandatory cycle lane or stopping in the box at the top of the line of traffic (believe these are for cyclists only?). Anyone who groups all of any of these class of road users in the same bucket and treats an entire group of people the same based on their mode of transport is a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I think this threads gone beyond redundant. Is there any point arguing that some cyclist ignore red lights? We all know it happens & any who claim it doesn't hasn't spent much time on the roads of Dublin. Are they a menace? For the most part no, you do get the odd ones who will fly through a pedestrian crossing, this happens frequently at some junctions too. But most of the time what happens is the RLJ goes through a red light, hugs the kerb & goes past the line of static traffic to their right. It's not as common with cars (though it still happens) because they can't fit in the gap to the left of the traffic. Where there is a clear route you can bet your ass there will be 1, 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 cars that will tail through a red light. Even in traffic you'll get people blocking the junction on a yellow box. I can't say I've noticed as much with bikers as they are not as frequently blocking the way of other traffic but I have no doubt a lot of people on bikes break a few rules, whether by speeding, riding in a mandatory cycle lane or stopping in the box at the top of the line of traffic (believe these are for cyclists only?). Anyone who groups all of any of these class of road users in the same bucket and treats an entire group of people the same based on their mode of transport is a moron.

Everybody, please discuss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

I think you might find that large trees cause more structural and financial damage to Dublin cities pavements and county councils pockets than motorbikes do.;):p
    I think you might find that the trees provide the oxygen that you and I breathe to stay alive, so they earn their keep. Motorbikes provide noxious emissions and broken up paths.
    The ones the gardai enforce of course and the same laws that allow councils to fine motorcycles for parking in 'car' spaces, they will happily tell you to park on the footpath, suggest you give them a call.
    Why so evasive? If you know that there are specific laws that enable pavement parking, please point them out, or name them. Let's not rely on lack of Garda enforcement as our measure of what's legal. By that measure, speeding through red lights after the lights have changed, cycling on pavements, parking in cycle lanes are all perfectly legal.
    Video a busy traffic light junction and post the results here please.
    Bikers who ride through them compared to cyclists who ride through them please.
    Great idea, if we can also include all the motorbikers who break the speed limit, and who change lane without indicating, and who drive with a broken rear light.
    Danjamin1 wrote: »
    x 100.
    lambayire wrote: »

When was the last time a pedestrian was killed by a cyclist in Ireland? And how many people were killed by motorcyclists in the intervening period?

When was the last time a pedestrian was killed by a cyclist in Ireland? And how many people were killed by motorcyclists in the intervening period?

quick google search of "pedestrian killed by cyclist" brings up a good few.

We get most of our oxygen from the plants under the sea. Phytoplankton to be precise. like 85% of our oxygen comes from the deep.

Oh you proved your point allright.;):P

He did prove his point.

Thread about cyclists breaking the law, someone points out that everyone including motorcyclists break the law, someone else says "so start a thread on that", starts thread, it gets locked as a troll thread.

So why isn't this a troll thread? Because it is cyclists, and cyclists are fair game.

BTW it is illegal to park a motorbike on the pavement, it is just a rule that is commonly ignored (like cycling safely through red lights). One seems to upset you, the other you break yourself.

For the record as a motorist, pedestrian and cyclist if I had to name one type of road user who most frequently breaks the law it would be motorcyclists. Coming into town on Saturday in Finglas (60kph limit, often policed, crawling as a result) I was passed by four weaving bikers doing at least 100. Pretty stupid and pretty dangerous, but the kind of thing you see all the time.

On the other hand I am not so stupid as to blame all motorcyclists for the sins of a few.

He did prove his point.

For the record as a motorist, pedestrian and cyclist if I had to name one type of road user who most frequently breaks the law it would be motorcyclists.

Baloney. On your drive home from work have a look at the amount of people on their phones. They are the real enemy. Cyclists are no problem compared to a distracted eejit behind a ton of steel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

Rory28 wrote: »
    quick google search of "pedestrian killed by cyclist" brings up a good few.
    Not in Ireland, it doesn't - search again and tell me when was the last time it happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement