Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists and the law,is anyone else sick of them breaking it

15678911»

Comments

Rory28 wrote: »
    Baloney. On your drive home from work have a look at the amount of people on their phones. They are the real enemy. Cyclists are no problem compared to a distracted eejit behind a ton of steel.

I didn't say who was most dangerous, I said who I saw break the law most frequently as a class of road user.

I suspect it's partly due to the fact that there is a subset of motorcyclists who take great pride in revving their large engines, making an awful lot of noise and speeding around the place. You tend to notice them.

Perhaps they are compensating for something, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's so easy to hate cyclists. Look at the ****ing state of the posts on here.

As a mother, a motorcyclist, a pedestrian, a motorist, a person who can go on the internet without getting totally furious, I think you need to go out for a cycle and actually enjoy yourselves. Because if you go out and have such a **** time as you're describing and have to spend the rest of your spare time arguing any time the word bicycle is used online, what's the ****ing point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

quick google search of "pedestrian killed by cyclist" brings up a good few.
    Google "pedestrian killed by cyclist Ireland" and you'll get very little. A story from May where the cyclist was the one who died.

I would be less inclined to be worried about cyclists when motorbikes are responsible for far more deaths.
    Here's a quick link from an Australian study:

Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
    Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
    Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.

If it was a choice between banning motorbikes or bicycles, I'd choose the more dangerous option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

As a mother, a motorcyclist, a pedestrian, a motorist, a person who can go on the internet without getting totally furious, I think you need to go out for a cycle and actually enjoy yourselves. Because if you go out and have such a **** time as you're describing and have to spend the rest of your spare time arguing any time the word bicycle is used online, what's the ****ing point.

It would be really interesting to explore why some people's heads seem to explode when cyclists stand up and challenge the George Hook/Jeremy Clarkson rhetoric, such as the OP here and this recent example.

What specifically is so upsetting about facts and alternative point of view on this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Amen.

I was horrified to see a new low these clowns stooped to, just minutes ago, when arguing about the plants/trees that best oxygenate our planet. Jesus F*cking Christ. Get a life, guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a father, a pedestrian, a motorist, a cyclist and a qualified advanced motorcyclist it's annoying to have people treat cyclists as a single lifeform.
    From the title of the thread right down to posts like yours cyclists are lumped into a homogeneous entity for some daft reason. You've even gone to the point of attributing the madder posts on here to cyclists as a group when they are simply the work of individual posters.
    Nothing to get furious about, but I does shake me head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The only fury I see on this thread is (a) the original post, and (b) yours I've just quoted.

Throwing the toys out of the pram when people debate the point is just childish.

Still, nobody likes a smartarse. :pac:

edit: OK I see WindomEarle is a bit furious, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I didn't say who was most dangerous, I said who I saw break the law most frequently as a class of road user.

I suspect it's partly due to the fact that there is a subset of motorcyclists who take great pride in revving their large engines, making an awful lot of noise and speeding around the place. You tend to notice them.

Perhaps they are compensating for something, I don't know.

Its still the same people. Its against the law to use your phone while driving.
    Has to be the car drivers who break the law most.

eeguy wrote: »
    Google "pedestrian killed by cyclist Ireland" and you'll get very little. A story from May where the cyclist was the one who died.

I would be less inclined to be worried about cyclists when motorbikes are responsible for far more deaths.
    Here's a quick link from an Australian study:

Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
    Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
    Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.

If it was a choice between banning motorbikes or bicycles, I'd choose the more dangerous option.

So I should google "pedestrian killed by cyclist Ireland" but you can post Australian studies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I think you might find that the trees provide the oxygen that you and I breathe to stay alive, so they earn their keep. Motorbikes provide noxious emissions and broken up paths.

Why so evasive? If you know that there are specific laws that enable pavement parking, please point them out, or name them. Let's not rely on lack of Garda enforcement as our measure of what's legal. By that measure, speeding through red lights after the lights have changed, cycling on pavements, parking in cycle lanes are all perfectly legal.

Great idea, if we can also include all the motorbikers who break the speed limit, and who change lane without indicating, and who drive with a broken rear light.

x 100.

When was the last time a pedestrian was killed by a cyclist in Ireland? And how many people were killed by motorcyclists in the intervening period?

Trees can do that?????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Where can I get one of these "special trees".??:P

How many pavements in Dublin City are broken to bits and in a heap because of poor tree placement,compared to motorbikes being parked on them?

Show me a pavement in Dublin that was broken to bits because of a Motorbike being parked on it?
    DCC spend alot more time and money on removing trees and fixing broken paths because of trees,and not because of motorbikes.
    Alot of the old London Plain and Popular trees are being removed by DCC and sub contractors and replaced with far nicer and less damaging trees like Jacquemontii

Can you point out the law that allows cyclists to go right through red lights at busy traffic junctions and force padestrians off the pathways because they think they are in the right??

• Advertisement

Good to see the aul girl again.
    Tyres and wheels are still round and even the chain and gears still work.
    And even better still,no other road users were hurt or put in harms way when taking this picture.:pac::D

20161026_154357_zpsfjh28t5p.jpg

Where is your saddle? That looks uncomfortable.
    Lovely bikes in the back tho.

Oh and I have me front and rear lights on her too.:)
    Wouldnt want to be one of those cyclists who ride around in the dark with no lights at all.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

So I should google "pedestrian killed by cyclist Ireland" but you can post Australian studies?

Sorry here's a UK one. Can't find an Irish one.

"Motorcyclists are roughly 38 times more likely to be killed in a road traffic accident than car occupants, per mile ridden"

http://think.direct.gov.uk/motorcycles.html

Saddle is there my friend....blended into the BMW tank.;)

Got the Selle Italia leather/gel saddle in Halfords in Surrey for 5 quid sterling in the summer.:D
    Put it in my cabin bag and security in Heathrow let me by with it no problems at all.
    Got the little orange pouch off of ebay for 3 euro.
    LED front and rear lights from Aldi in the bargain section for 4 euro.Nice and bright.

Got the Selle Italia leather/gel saddle in Halfords in Surrey for 5 quid sterling in the summer.:D
    Put it in my cabin bag and security in Heathrow let me by with it no problems at all.

Why you would ever ride that bicycle when you have them pretty beasts is beyond me. They both yours? Ducati and a BMW is a bit greedy.

Why you would ever ride that bicycle when you have them pretty beasts is beyond me. They both yours? Ducati and a BMW is a bit greedy.

Yup.
    Theres an R1 aswell,but shes in for a service at the mo.

Time to get the auld push bike back out on the road and go cycling again.
    Have to shift a few lbs to make way for me whopper Crimbo dinner.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Man that's a tiny frame. From memory you're not particularly small in height?.

Man that's a tiny frame. From memory you're not particularly small in height?.

I had me platform shoes on that day,:pac:

Ah no yeah Im tall enough,frame is a bit on the small size,but shes a good n light bike and Im happy on her.:)

It even has carbon front forks.............................( dont say it,I know..:pac:.)

Right lads n lasses,Im off to the chipper on me pushbike.
    can a coke,bag a chips and a battered cod please.:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Right lads n lasses,Im off to the chipper on me pushbike.
    can a coke,bag a chips and a battered cod please.:pac::pac::D

Bon Appetite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

LED front and rear lights from Aldi in the bargain section for 4 euro.Nice and bright.

Surprised you have equipment like that as judging by your posts I thought you were 12!

Just back now and all mororcyclists on best behaviour strangely enough.. Videos to be posted hopefully soon..gotta keep my fans entertained :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Think it must be this thread but I noticed an absolute muppet on a motorbike on the cycle home. Was coming down through Harold's Cross and this clown couldn't get away from the lights quick enough, he went flying down the road doing a wheelie as he faded in to the distance! It was actually fairly impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Must have remembered he had left the immersion on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Zascar wrote: »
    Getting a lot of reports on this lads, i'll be locking it soon as its going in circles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

eeguy wrote:
    I would be less inclined to be worried about cyclists when motorbikes are responsible for far more deaths. Here's a quick link from an Australian study:

Think you'll find half those statistics refer to interractions with other vehicles where the rider died making the other vehicles far more dangerous than motorcycles, so by your logic cars, vans and lorries should be banned lol, statistically your argument is more bellend than bell curve.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement